PDA

View Full Version : mont-bell u.l. wind parka

ATbound
11-07-2009, 19:27
Gearing up for my upcoming PCT hike. I've hear the jacket of choice is the Marmot DriClimb. I have found another option and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it, particularly on the PCT.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=61&p_id=2303183

Weights about 4 oz. as opposed to the 14 oz DriClimb. I'm guessing the DriClimb has more wind resistant and rain resistant fabric. Is that worth the extra weight? Are conditions on the PCT really windy?

bigcranky
11-07-2009, 20:14
The Driclime is two layers, a knit base layer inside, and a wind resistant outer layer. The Montbell is a single layer. That explains the weight difference.

I have both kinds. The Driclime is my goto jacket for winter hiking. My single layer <3 ounce wind shirt goes on almost every 3-season hike.

The Driclime is NOT water proof nor even very water resistant, in my experience.

Dogwood
11-07-2009, 20:51
I think a better comparison, ie. apples to apples, is the Marmot Ion and the Montbell jacket you listed. MontBell is calling it a parka, but if you read between the lines it really is just a wind shell or light wt. wind jacket just like the Marmot Ion. Both are very similar in wt and compressibility. Either one is probably fine in a short duration misty or light rain but they are both just wind shells. The Marmot DriClime jacket is going to give you more insulation thus the heavier wt.. and it will probably not wet out as fast as either of the wind shells since it has a decent DWR coating and different fabric construction. I would put the MB wind parka you linked to and the Marmot Ion in roughly the same category as the GoLite Wisp wind shirt or some of the Montvale wind jackets. Lots of other gear maunufacturers make similar products.

TwoForty
11-07-2009, 22:08
There is a huge difference in those two items. The UL Wind Parka is lighter, completely windproof as far as I could tell, and not breathable at all. You can really only use it when resting in a windy place, like on a summit. Not worth it for the PCT.

The Diclime Windshirts from Marmot are heavier, very wind resistant, more breathable, and they actually provide a bit of fuzzy fabric for slight warmth. Many have mesh under the arms as well. Really well suited for the PCT which is windy and often slightly cool. It's heavy, but you'll wear it a lot.

A better option IMO is the Patagonia Houdini. Yes, it's really expensive, but it's liight, windproof enough to cut the cold wind, and breathable enough to hike in (unless it's hot).

Also, if the Houdini is too much money, consider the Marmot Ion. It's more windproof, just as light, but slightly less breathable. It can also be had for like $35 or so, if price is an issue.

For my section hikes, I take the Houdini. I would use the Marmot Driclime windshirt (there are a few models, BTW) but it's cut too baggy and short for me.

TwoForty
11-07-2009, 22:11
And as the other posters above mentioned, I wouldn't depend on any of them for rain protection. I often use my Houdini to fend off flurries and it does fine, but I highly suggect bringing a shell that is strictly for rain and snow. You'll rarely use it but it can literally save your ass.

Alternately, you can get a light eVent jacket and pretty much wear that all the time. Avoids the need for a windshirt since it's so breathable.

Dogwood
11-07-2009, 23:07
ATbound, yeah, none of the jackets/shells mentioned so far are going to provide long term rain protection, maybe just some light rain protection, but really not all day heavy rain protection. That's why you see the words water repellant and water resistant describing these products and not water proof in ads. But, don't despair! Many PCTers have wind shirts like the MB you link to or something like a Marmot ION, both with DWRs, in their outer wear arsenal. They are a good fit for the PCT because it can be very windy, especially in places like the desert, but it can also change to being very warm quickly so you want something very breathable. Also, it USUALLY doesn't rain that often or rains very heavy for long periods during the course of a PCT thru-hike.

Now, you have to balance their use with the knowledge that they don't provide complete rain protection in a heavier long period rain or drizzle. What do many PCTers do? They either tote an additional UL WP rain jacket or limit carrying the additional rain jacket to times or sections when there is a greater risk of heavy rain, like in northern OR and WA or maybe while going over the colder higher elev. Sierras for rain protection and additional warmth.

Personally, in 08, I used the Marmot Ion(with hood custom removed by a tailor for $3) with a WP breathable brimmed hat for all of Cali. This combo worked great for me in two days of misty rain, providing windproof and water resistant highly breathable protection, and for keeping the sun off me down south. Once I got to OR I left the wind jacket and hat behind and went with a UL WP rain jacket, the GoLite Virga, with a wt. of 8 oz in lg., that functioned as both my fully WP rain jacket and somewhat less breathable wind shirt.

frisbeefreek
11-08-2009, 23:40
I wore the Montbell wind jacket (no hood) on the PCT this year. Loved it, but totally not waterproof (when it gets wet, it has a tendency to stick to your skin because it's so thin, which increases heat loss and also water penetration).

I used a DriDucks Parka as my outer waterproof layer (which I also liked and highly recommend for $13 and 6oz) through the Sierras and Washington (carried but didn't need a 1oz disposable $0.88 Walmart poncho elsewhere).

I needed a rain jacket ~10x, but I wore my Montbell almost every day.

--Frisbee

Dogwood
11-08-2009, 23:51
It might not mean that much to you but I mistakenly stated that the GoLite Wisp is much like the Marmot Ion or MB you listed. I should have said the GoLite Ether is more like the MB wind parka you listed.

Kerosene
11-09-2009, 10:39
Alternately, you can get a light eVent jacket and pretty much wear that all the time. Avoids the need for a windshirt since it's so breathable.I love my e-Vent jacket, although I haven't used it in warm, humid conditions. For spring/fall hiking, as a windbreak or raingear, it rocks.

The UL Wind Parka is lighter, completely windproof as far as I could tell, and not breathable at all.I have the Montbell UL windpants made of the same material. The DWR coating sheds light rain, but in a downpour the rain will eventually wick through. They are completely windproof, but they are also highly breathable. I use the pants under a Packa to keep the water from draining into the tops of my boots by "blousing" them over my gaiters.

brooklynkayak
11-09-2009, 11:23
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it, particularly on the PCT.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=61&p_id=2303183
Weights about 4 oz. as opposed to the 14 oz DriClimb. ?

It is highly breathable and compares to other windshirts out there.

I personally find I wear my wind shirt(Intergral Designs) more than any other piece of clothing.
It is light and adds a huge amount of warmth for it's weight by trapping heat in that would normally be blow out by the wind, even a breeze.
It is not meant to be worn as a top layer in the rain as it will let water in, but I found that it is comfy over a shirt in a warm drizzle. My clothes will get wet, but I'm not sweating as much as if I were wearing a rain jacket or poncho.

It can also be worn alone or over a thin shirt to help block mosquitoes.

In heavy cold rain, I wear mine as the layer under my poncho to help add warmth and breath-ability.

Some people swear by the jackets that are windshirt and insulation combined, but I find that far less flexible. I like to vary what insulating layer(s) I wear under mine.
A windshirt with sperate insulation layer dries faster than combined versions.

ATbound
11-09-2009, 12:06
this info is exactly what I was looking for, thanks to you all for your input.

mattabbotts
11-14-2009, 21:05
Thanks a ton for this thread, I am making decisions on what rain gear to bring next summer on the PCT. I keep hearing about how little it actually rains and I was thinking about heading north with only the Montbell UL wind parka. I might combine it with a cheap plastic poncho like FrisbeeFreak mentioned. Does this sound like a good plan?

Matt Abbotts
www.ASuperiorAdventure.com (http://asuperioradventure.com)