PDA

View Full Version : Digital Video Cameracorder tips.

Flash Hand
08-18-2004, 04:25
Hiking community,

Any suggestion or tips on carrying Digital Video Cameracorder? I will be hiking with Sweet Clover and we agreed to bring three things, digital camera, regular 35 mm and DVC. Yeah, we will use bounce box all the way for extra items. Any one of you have experience using DVC during thru hike? If so, I would love to hear your story or experience about using it, both bad and good.

Right now, I am much more focused on waterproofing the DVC device. I am trying to figure out how to keep it dry in case of sudden thunderstorms.

Flash Hand :jump

Jaybird
08-18-2004, 05:13
Hiking community,

Any suggestion or tips on carrying Digital Video Cameracorder? I will be hiking with Sweet Clover and we agreed to bring three things, digital camera, regular 35 mm and DVC. Yeah, we will use bounce box all the way for extra items. Any one of you have experience using DVC during thru hike? If so, I would love to hear your story or experience about using it, both bad and good.
Right now, I am much more focused on waterproofing the DVC device. I am trying to figure out how to keep it dry in case of sudden thunderstorms.

Yo FH!

why the OverKill??????????????? you making a documentary? hehehehehe :D

Model T carried a Sony Camcorder (Hi-8mm) on his 1998 Thru-hike..he tells me it was very heavy (for the time) but worth it.....i've seen the video......very cool.....& was very, worth it!

They make rain-jackets for most expensive DVC camcorders now...search for them on the web. good luck.

Tim Rich
08-18-2004, 06:38
Mountain Dew carried one last year, at least part of the way.

MD?

Flash Hand
08-18-2004, 16:08
Yo FH!

why the OverKill??????????????? you making a documentary? hehehehehe :D

Model T carried a Sony Camcorder (Hi-8mm) on his 1998 Thru-hike..he tells me it was very heavy (for the time) but worth it.....i've seen the video......very cool.....& was very, worth it!

They make rain-jackets for most expensive DVC camcorders now...search for them on the web. good luck.

Heavy, yeah, but if lucky enough to win $10,000 in AFV show.. lol

Sleepy the Arab
08-18-2004, 23:37
Hiking community,

First off, if you decide to carry a DVC, be sure to use the damn thing. Three months of hiking and I have 16 minutes worth of footage. At least it only weighed a pound. Also, think about having some way to carry it on your person while in town such as a fanny pack. I spent some time within civilization worrying that it would get stolen - The Place isn't exactly a safe spot for possessions.

As for keeping it dry, there shouldn't be too much of a problem short of a Platypus malfunction. Mine was wrapped in a plastic bag, and then placed in a sil-nylon stuff sack. It was kept this way at all times, so there was little chance of it getting wet. Consider also carrying it so you can grab it whitout taking the pack off. Nothing worse than having the bear take off while you stand there fiddling with a zipper.

Mountain Dew
08-19-2004, 02:54
I carried a camcorder the entire A.T. in 2003. I recorded over 12 hours of footage. To waterproof it you may want to look into some sort of front pouch that is waterproof. This will also enable you easy access to the camera. Reaching into your pack for it will cost you some shoots and get old quick. As you have heard 2003 was one of ,if not, the worst years for rain the trail has seen in memory. My first camcorder got ruined due to moisture and I took great care of it. Hopefully your hike wont be as wet a mine. My camera took mini-dv's which work great. My battery was an 8 hour battery and I sent the charger in a bounce box. I usually carried two extra 1 hour tapes with me as well. My go-lite umblrella worked great for filming in light rain. I wouldn't have carried the dang umbrella if not for the camera. My video is in the process of being edited and possibly will be teamed with a book sometime next year. We shall see...any more questions let me know. oh...... I almost forgot.... my hiking poles had a ball at the top of them but under that screw on ball was a screw that fit the camera perfect. This allowed me to put my camera on this screw and then stick my pole into the ground thus enabling me to be in many of my own shots. :cool:

The Hog
08-19-2004, 06:32
I carried a 16 mm film camera the length of the A.T. and a digital video camera over 400 miles on the CDT (so far), and have 26 years experience in television and documentary films. I have learned a few things along the way and am happy to share them with you. First, carry the camera in your hand and be ready to shoot at all times, that way you'll capture wildlife and other magic moments that will disappear in the time it takes you to rummage thru your pack to dig out the camera. Above all, keep the camera steady. I carry (in my hand) my digital camcorder with a tiny tripod already attached, so I can quickly set it up and get rolling. Also, steady the camera against trees, shelter, or whatever is available. I often throw my pack on the ground and steady the camera on the ground. If you don't bother steadying the camera, the resulting footage will be worthless, and will give viewers motion sickness. It will be torture to watch. Using the Steadishot feature on your camera is normally not enough to completely stabilize a shot. Don't overrely on that. Next, shoot with editing in mind. Remember you will have to link up shots in the editing process, so take a wide shot and a closeup, pan to a scene and take a closeup, etc. Take a series of angles of the same subject. Don't just take one shot of a shelter, one shot of a view, one shot of a deer and think that they will edit together in any meaningful way. Think of new ways to photograph hikers and the trail. Climb a tree. Get right down in the dirt looking up. Shoot thru a shelter window. Get creative. Tell subjects not to look at the camera. There is only so much "Hi, mom!" kind of footage that viewers can stand looking at. If every hiker looks at the camera and smiles, you've made a home video that will not stand up to any kind of professional scrutiny (which is fine if that is your goal). Don't overuse the zoom. Amateur videographers zoom in and out constantly for no reason, and the result is unwatchable video. Only zoom in and out if there's a compelling reason. If there is narration, say something interesting and different. Mix humor with pathos. Make the video reflect who you are. Use long life batteries, keep the charger in your drift box, always have extra tapes available, clean your camera lens often. After rolling a shot, continue it for a few more seconds while you say the location and the date. Later, create a log of all of your shots with this information, the quality of the shot, etc. Think of who your target audience is and what you want your video to accomplish.

Mr. Clean
08-19-2004, 06:39
I have carried my mini DV in a small fanny pack which I wear on the front. Also good for snacks.

Mausalot
08-19-2004, 16:31
I think caryring a 35mm and the Digital Camera is overkill and I have to say if you're up to it, the 35mm is the better choice as long as it is a good SLR to justify the weight. A 35mm SLR is equivilent to about a 12! megapixel camera and the lenses are far superior than any small digital device.

As for waterproofing, we kept the video camera in a camera case and case wrapped in plastic. That said, condensation was a HUGE problem and on some of those rainy days, it looked like we were shooting through a fog filter (which looked nice in some instances). I hope some have some suggestions for this problem.

As the hog pointed out, shoot to edit. It's the most important thing. You need shots and reverse shots, primarily and the BEST way to get them is to have other hikers talk/interview each other. You have to make a decision of who the camera should be on at any point, but if you can get a dialogue going, it's great.

There is a device made by InstantPower which is a great way to carry extra power. And of course, honking (and heavy) batteries are unfortunatly a necessity. Important note: batteries can, and do fail, especially if they get too wet because the new ones have all sorts of fancy sensors in them. Another note on batteries. Using the flip out LCDs is better for shooting, but closing it and using the viewfinder saves significantly on batteries.

Night shooting: Get a small camera mounted light or use a Petzel light. Others have ideas here?

While shooting 2000 Miles to Maine (http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/) our packweight was still under 30 pounds with food and water, so you can keep that under control if you're careful. And most importantly, shooting slows your days down significantly as an interview can easily suck up 45min to an hour. If you do interviews, make sure to get a release form signed. When we shot, everyone was very cool with it.

It's a commitment more to making a movie rather than hiking. If you're just planning to shoot without planning to make something (ie edit) then you're better off leaving the video camera at home. As most will tell you, it can take up to a year to edit the footage you get for a feature length project.

Cameraman :dance

And if you don't have a copy of 2000 Miles to Maine (http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/), why not? Everyone (http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/feedme.htm)(most everyone) likes it. And a portion of proceeds go to our good friends here at White Blaze.

Sleepy the Arab
08-19-2004, 23:33
Everyone is talking about condensation which made me remember something. Within the ziploc bag I kept the DVC in, I had a couple of packets of silica gel to absorb moisture. Very handy.

Flash Hand
08-20-2004, 04:59
Was reviewing all of your comments carefully and will take most of your advice. The most thing I concern about carrying the DVC in my fannypack in front... because I might fell down and crush it into pieces. I just wish I have four legs.

Anyway, you guys are a great help!

Youngblood
08-20-2004, 09:44
...I just wish I have four legs...

Hey Flash Hand,

Hope you have a great journey when you make it back to the trail. About the above comment... are you wanting to be a pack mule, mountain goat, etc? :banana Sorry, just couldn't resist that one.

Hey, I went ahead and posted the other photo I had of you.

Your friend,
Youngblood

Flash Hand
08-21-2004, 02:41
Hey Flash Hand,

Hope you have a great journey when you make it back to the trail.
Your friend,
Youngblood

Thanks... yes I believe it will be a great journey because I will have one or two more deaf thru hikers joining. Thanks for the picture. Hope to see you again next year!