PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a 2 nighter

Black bear
11-08-2009, 21:44
Need some help from some of you veterans to the GSMs. Will be leaving one car at the trailhead and another at the end, so don't need a loop but wouldn't rule one out. Won't get on the trail until about 2:30 or 3 pm so first night's campsite needs to be not too much of a hike to get to. Then will be hiking all day on Sat. so, the second night's campsite needs to be 8-12 mile hike from first campsite.

-the higher the elevation the better
-prefer to go thru some alpine fields/balds and would like some views
-must camp by a creek

Thanks!!!:)

elmotoots
11-08-2009, 22:23
Hi

I suggested this one to someone not to long ago, my son and I did it in a dayhike this summer so i think it would be an easy two nighter.

Go to cades Cove Campground

Hike up Anthony Creek Trail to campsite #9 the first night (3 miles ?)

On Saturday hike up to the AT and go east Over rocky Top to ThunderHead Mt. Then backtrack to Spence Field and go on to Russell Field Shelter, then go down the Russell Field Trail to campsite #10

Sunday 3 miles or so back out to Cades Cove campground.

Most everyone likes Rocky Top, coming back down from thunderhead gives great views down to Cades Cove. Spence Field will give you your Bald, and both campsites are by creeks. A lot of nice views.

If you decide on this one and want a few pics, PM me your e-mail I will send you some

Elmo

Cookerhiker
11-08-2009, 22:50
I'm not an expert or experienced in the Smokies much but last month, my GF and I did a 3 day/2 night backpack covering about 33 miles. We car-camped Monday night at Big Creek (awaking to 30 degree temps), drove to Cataloochie and hiked the Boogerman Trail to the Big Fork Ridge Trail thence over to the Pretty Hollow Trail where we camped at Site #39. Next day we hiked up Pretty Hollow, took the side trail to Mt. Sterling, climbed the tower, went back and hiked the Mt. Sterling Ridge Trail to Laurel Gap where we stayed our 2nd night. We returned via the Balsam Ridge and Palmer Creek Trails. Saw lots of colorful leaves and enjoyed the balsams at the high points. No bears -at least not within sight or smell.

We had some fellow campers at our two campsites and we met some other hikers but the trails were far from crowded.

Ashepabst
11-09-2009, 17:41
Elmo's suggestion is probably your best bet to meet your requirements. rocky top's is the best vantage point in the park, IMO. you'll have great views from spence field too.

Black bear
11-11-2009, 19:54
Thank you all for the suggestions. I did a trip to Rocky Top via campsite 9 in Oct. and loved it. Tell me what ya'll think of this route: first night at campsite 18 via West Prong Trail, Bote Mountain Trail to the AT, stay 2nd night at Derrick Knob shelter, then down Greenbrier Ridge Trail to Middle Prong Trail and back into the Tremont area to end the trip.

What is Derrick Knob shelter like? Is their a water source there?

Any other comments on remarkable and/or not so remarkable spots on this route would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

liteweight
11-12-2009, 11:18
It looks like it can be done. Derrick Knob is a nice shelter and you won't have problems with water. If I have my bearings right that second day will pretty tough. Did you decide against staying at Spence field because you wanted to have a longer day?

Black bear
11-12-2009, 12:56
Thanks liteweight for the info. Yes, would like a longer day and wanted to go thru Rocky Top and Spence field again while also seeing a part of the park I have not been to yet. Do you think campsite 18 to Derrick Knob can be done in 9 or 10 hrs? Is the Derrick Knob shelter usually crowded?

HooKooDooKu
11-12-2009, 14:59
This one might be a little shorter over-all than you were looking for, but what about this idea (needs 2 cars):

Park a car at Cades Cove camp ground.
Drive down to Parsons Branch and park 2nd car at Gregory Ridge Trail.
Hike to camp site #12 for the 1st night.
For the 2nd day, Hike up to Gregory Bald for lunch, thenover to Mollies Ridge Shelter for the 2nd night.
3rd Day, hike down Russell Field and Anthony Creek back to the car parked in Cade Cove camp ground.

HooKooDooKu
11-12-2009, 15:08
Another possibility:
Drive intoCataloochee parking one car at the trail head of Caldwell Fork Trail.
Drive on to the trailhead of Rought Fork and Big Fork Ridge trails.
Hike to camp site #40 for the 1st night.
For some serious milage, hike to the end of Rough Fork Trail, pickup Hemphill Bald Trail down to camp site #41 for the 2nd night.
For the 3rd day, you've got three choises depending upon how much milage you want: Take Big Fork Ridge back to the car you started from. Take Caldwell Fork back to the other car. Take Caldwell Fork back to the other car, but detour to do Boogerman Trail.

The benefits of this hike is streams both nights, no need for reservations, and some moutains. But 2nd day is about 13 miles.

HooKooDooKu
11-12-2009, 15:18
If you want a loop, there is Clingman's Dome Parking Lot to Double Spring Gap. Then from Double Spring Gap to camp site #70 or #69, then back to the start of the loop.

I have only hiked the 1st leg of this to Goshen Prong. Had some lovely views (one of which is my desktop background now). Haven't been to the shelter nor ever hiked Forney Creek... but I've heard it can be a challenge.

Cookerhiker
11-12-2009, 19:16
Another possibility:
Drive intoCataloochee parking one car at the trail head of Caldwell Fork Trail.
Drive on to the trailhead of Rought Fork and Big Fork Ridge trails.
Hike to camp site #40 for the 1st night.
For some serious milage, hike to the end of Rough Fork Trail, pickup Hemphill Bald Trail down to camp site #41 for the 2nd night.
For the 3rd day, you've got three choises depending upon how much milage you want: Take Big Fork Ridge back to the car you started from. Take Caldwell Fork back to the other car. Take Caldwell Fork back to the other car, but detour to do Boogerman Trail.

The benefits of this hike is streams both nights, no need for reservations, and some moutains. But 2nd day is about 13 miles.

I hiked part of that last month. Hiking in the Smokies on trails other than the AT means you'll likely meet less people and it will feel more like backcountry.