PDA

View Full Version : Vortec 2 destroyed!

inavacuum
11-08-2009, 22:57
grrrr.....!!!!!!! Camping out this weekend a long the trail to Raven Cliffs outside Blairesville and while we were gone a tree limb fell and ripped a GIANT hole through the rain fly AND the tent!

I'm really upset, I loved this tent, it was so easy to set up, such a well built tent and it NEVER let me get wet.

I'm really at a loss as what to look at next. I want to get something with a vestibule on both sides, with two doors and that is totally weather proof. I can't spend more than $200. Anybody know of something comparable to the vortec 2?

Tipi Walter
11-09-2009, 01:26
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Was it windy? I had a North Face VE24 knock off(Windy Pass)get walloped by a falling snag, broke a pole and ripped the fly, luckily I stepped out just before it happened. Now I always look up before pulling out the tent. But it could happen most anywhere except in bushes or atop a bald, looking helps but ya never know . . . We had an ice storm last week that pulled down a whole bunch of trees. Uh, btw, who makes the vortec?

Ramble~On
11-09-2009, 01:39
You might be able to pick up another Vortex 2 on ebay.

skinewmexico
11-09-2009, 06:22
REI Quarterdome T2 or T3. So the tent can't be repaired?

brooklynkayak
11-09-2009, 07:35
So the tent can't be repaired?

I would think that would be the best option. It would add character to the tent as well.
If you can't do it, there are people who will for some $.

Egads
11-09-2009, 07:44
Believe it's a Kelty Vortex 2

On the bright side, no one was in the tent to get hurt.

The lesson to take away from the experience is to look overhead and check for obvious widow makers.

bulldog49
11-09-2009, 11:58
I have a Vortex 2 in excellent condition. Willing to sell it for $100.00.

Tipi Walter
11-09-2009, 12:13
Believe it's a Kelty Vortex 2

On the bright side, no one was in the tent to get hurt.

The lesson to take away from the experience is to look overhead and check for obvious widow makers.

I do this on a regular basis, looking up for snags, and even if it's just a medium sized dead limb I'll rethink camp or move the tent. Once I was on a 3,500 ridgetop in a butt-bad wind under some questionable trees and decided to pack up at night and do a two mile nighthike off the ridge and down to a valley. What I find strange is that many limbs when they fall spear the ground and stick upright and bury themselves about 4 or 5 inches in the dirt. Hm . . . wonder what such a spear would do to a tent? Or me?

inavacuum
11-09-2009, 12:20
What I find strange is that many limbs when they fall spear the ground and stick upright and bury themselves about 4 or 5 inches in the dirt. Hm . . . wonder what such a spear would do to a tent? Or me?

Exactly! It even put a little tear into my sleeping bag!

inavacuum
11-09-2009, 12:24
I'm eyeballing the Gunnison 2.1. It seems really similar to the Vortex 2 and its just shy of 200 bucks. Anybody have one?

rpenczek
11-09-2009, 12:32
My Boy Scout Troop uses a few Gunnison's. They work great. We have had them in driving rainstorms. We also have a few Kelty Teaton's, these only have one door, and the fly does not come all they way to the ground on the sides, but they are less expensive. The Teaton's have performed well in the driving rain as well.

LimpsAlong
11-09-2009, 18:52
I'm eyeballing the Gunnison 2.1. It seems really similar to the Vortex 2 and its just shy of 200 bucks. Anybody have one?
Got a gunnison 2. Waaaay too heavy. Swapped to the eureka spitfire UL.

inavacuum
11-09-2009, 19:26
Got a gunnison 2. Waaaay too heavy. Swapped to the eureka spitfire UL.

Its not that heavy for two people...

Packed weight is 5 lb. 9 oz. / 2.52 kg

Split up between two peeps...thats not bad at all.

inavacuum
11-09-2009, 19:28
Also, eyeballing this.

http://www.altrec.com/eureka/zeus-2-classic-tent?cm_sp=Baynote-_-Detailpage-_-DetailPageAlsoWantA

Seems pretty nice.

skinewmexico
11-09-2009, 19:45
Its not that heavy for two people...

Packed weight is 5 lb. 9 oz. / 2.52 kg

Split up between two peeps...thats not bad at all.

Depends on what you're used to, that's 1# heavier than my 3 person REI Quarterdome, and 3# heavier than my Double Rainbow. I just don't enjoy carrying unnecessary weight.

gravy4601
11-09-2009, 19:52
i have a marmot earlylite 2person i think it's under 200 easy to settup and i stayed completely dry in even a downpour

mister krabs
11-09-2009, 20:20
I want to get something with a vestibule on both sides, with two doors and that is totally weather proof. I can't spend more than $200. Anybody know of something comparable to the vortec 2?

I have an alps mountaineering zephyr 3 that matches this description. I paid 120$ for it. It matches in quality tents I have had by sierra designs, REI and kelty.

REI has it in their outlet for 120$ right now, and it comes with the REI guarantee.

Not Sunshine
11-09-2009, 20:35
i would consider your LUCK of not being in the tent a sign from higher powers that you belong out in the woods with nature. :) i know i would.

of course, i'm not sure what it would mean if the tree actually fell on you.

maybe a tree destroying your vortex is a sign to get the hell out of the woods....

note: this is a fine example of a woman over-analyzing. hey - at least i can be honest - isn't admission the first step? hehe

Blissful
11-09-2009, 20:45
Many that stinks. Sorry but glad you weren't hurt. A guy on '07 had a branch fall on his tent and crush it with him inside. He got the trail name Widowmaker.

Hopefully you can get a used MSR HUbba hubba somewhere. I have seen it on occasion for around $200. Good tent with double vestibules.

inavacuum
11-09-2009, 22:01
The MSR Hubba Hubba looks awesome, but 300 bucks is outta my price range

skinewmexico
11-09-2009, 23:18
Watch for one used. I don't think the Hubba Hubba is any better, or that much different than an REI Quarterdome though.

RichardD
11-09-2009, 23:19
You mentioned the Zeus 2. This was my first backpacking tent. It served me very well and kept me dry in some horrendous storms. It was the fastest tent to put up that you could find. It is also very wind stable.
Condensation can be a problem and it can be too hot a tent for some summer camping but for the price was excellent. It's finally worn out, zippers failed and it's gone brittle after about ten years of use about a month to six weeks of use per year.
I definitely prefer my Tarptent but the Tarptent is quite a bit more expensive.

Matteroo
11-10-2009, 03:00
was hiking in Tall Trees Grove in redwood national park this summer. saw a few widow makers speared into the ground. some were thigh to waist sized diameter where they entered the ground. They could not be dislodged, so I am guessing they penetrated at least a few feet deep!

Doooglas
11-10-2009, 15:31
Another option......or several
http://www.oregonphotos.com/Repair.html