PDA

View Full Version : Forest Service Roads at Dyer Gap

SweetT
11-09-2009, 13:51
I was unable to find the Forest Service Roads (FS64 and FS64A) that suppose to intersect at Dyer Gap on any maps. I'm planning to park my car there for a hike up the Flat Top Mountain. Can anyone give me direction to either of these Forest Service Roads, or reference map that shows them? Thanks.

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2009, 15:40
Look for Old Highway 2 south of McKaysvillegoing to Blue Ridge. There are big yellow Intersection signs at every major intersection on that road. Its also called Chestnut Road or Watson Gap Road on some maps. Its not hard to find. You follow the road to the BMT at Watson Gap. Turn left and follow a long ridgeline road to the BMT meets the forest road at a remote graveyard with a shelter. Park there. The SOBO BMT is on a old logging road across from the graveyard. The NOBO BMT will follow the main FSR for a couple hundred yards then heads down to meet the South Fork River Trail near Shadow Falls.
Its described in the Hiking the BMT book.

Ox97GaMe
11-09-2009, 15:40
The road you will be looking for is GA-2 out of Blue Ridge. It has been a while since I was up that way, but I believe the road is close to the Home Depot on 515/5. you can ask some of the locals about getting to the Watson Gap game check station. From the game check station, you turn left on FS64 and go approx 2 miles to Dyer Gap.

Another way of getting there that may be easier, but longer drive and a lot of gravel is as follows:
From Elijay, take Hwy2/52 West toward Chatsworth. Approx 5 miles there is a small sign (easy to miss) on a small paved road to the right that indicates the entrance to Conasaga Lake and Recreational Area. This will lead you to FS90 and then to FS68 (1 mile) and then to FS64 (1 mile). Follow FS64 past Betty Gap, Three Forks Mtn Lookout Tower and into Dyer Gap. (4 miles)

Easiet exit route from Dyer would be to go to Watson Gap check station and turn right on GA2 and continue into Blue Ridge.

Have a great hike.

SweetT
11-11-2009, 13:59
Thanks guys! is the road connecting Dyer Gap and Watson Gap pretty accessible by any vehicle, or is it more for a 4 wheel drive?

Tennessee Viking
11-11-2009, 15:54
Thanks guys! is the road connecting Dyer Gap and Watson Gap pretty accessible by any vehicle, or is it more for a 4 wheel drive?
Very easy to drive. I took a Chevy Cavalier on it. And its also a great biking road.

SweetT
11-12-2009, 09:21
Thanks! I'll be sure to post some pictures of Flat Top Mountain when i get back.