PDA

View Full Version : Jester 2000, Trash Picker

Jester2000
11-09-2009, 17:05
I was dropping off a hiker south of Harpers Ferry on Saturday (522 road crossing near Front Royal) and noticed an awful lot of trash around. I always have work gloves and some trash bags in my truck, so I started cleaning up and ended up with a full 50 gal. bag.

Because people are disgusting.

I was going to head straight back to Harpers Ferry, but it was a beautiful day so I decided to hit the trailheads between 522 & HF and pick up some more. Worst by far was the large parking lot on the South side of Rt. 7, most likely because of all of the non-hikers who stop there (it's kind of like a rest stop). Got another full bag there. Cleanest was the smaller parking area on the South side of Rt. 7, mainly used by AT hikers.

All in all I ended up with four full bags, but before anyone gets to thinking this was all altruism without reward, I found a Gerber knife and a five dollar bill. . .

So if you're heading out to the trail for the day, throw a trash bag and some gloves in the car. You'll make everything look nicer, and you might just find a prize or two!

Dogwood
11-09-2009, 17:57
Gerber knife and $5 bill yeah I left those there. PM me for the address of where to return the items. Only kidding. Just reward! Good for you Jester!

Even without the material award, doesn't it make you feel good to give something back rather than always being in the position of taking taking taking?

What we sow is what we reap! And, what we reap is what we have sown! Amazing how many try to sidestep this universal law!

Jester2000
11-09-2009, 18:07
. . . Even without the material award, doesn't it make you feel good to give something back rather than always being in the position of taking taking taking?

You know what? It did make me feel good. Which makes me think that all of this do-gooder stuff is actually selfish.

But, you know, in a good way.

Spokes
11-09-2009, 18:42
Good for you Jester2000!

A-Train
11-09-2009, 19:09
Gerber knife and $5 bill yeah I left those there. PM me for the address of where to return the items. Only kidding. Just reward! Good for you Jester!

Even without the material award, doesn't it make you feel good to give something back rather than always being in the position of taking taking taking?

What did he give back? Sounded like he took 4 bags of trash, some poor guy's knife and the lottery winnings of homeless people across America.

Jester2000
11-09-2009, 19:19
What did he give back? Sounded like he took 4 bags of trash, some poor guy's knife and the lottery winnings of homeless people across America.

Speaking of lottery winners, also found 4 VA lottery tickets.

Dogwood
11-09-2009, 19:35
And, what can we all learn from this story? Those who play the lottery also tend to be litters!

Jack Tarlin
11-09-2009, 20:10
Very commendable. Altruistic and all that happy stuff. Nice story. Hoo-hah.

Keep the fiver, bub, you may need it, but when do I get my Gerber back ya cheap bastid?

Thank you.

CrumbSnatcher
11-09-2009, 20:12
thanks jester.

Kerosene
11-09-2009, 23:25
Thanks for taking the time on a nice day, Jester. It does make a difference.

ShelterLeopard
11-09-2009, 23:44
I always pick up all the trash I see- sometimes it adds a disgustingly large amount of weight to my pack. (That's how I got my first trail name- traceless- I picked up all the trash for hundred mile wilderness and beyond)

Pacific Tortuga
11-10-2009, 00:05
Jester, your full of nuts (almonds) and need a stiff drink.

Gaiter
11-10-2009, 02:27
during my fall 07 long section, i called mondays 'trash day', made sure i left town with a trash bag or two, too many weekend hikers have no clue about lnt... if it got to heavy i'd leave it by a road crossing and call it into the local maintenance group

neighbor dave
11-10-2009, 11:13
during my fall 07 long section, i called mondays 'trash day', made sure i left town with a trash bag or two, too many weekend hikers have no clue about lnt... if it got to heavy i'd leave it by a road crossing and call it into the local maintenance group
i found a ten spot in the trash can at crater lake.
it was one of those n.p. type cans with the scoop type thing on the inside of the pull down lid, there it was sitting on the scoop thingy.
SAAAAAWEEEEEET!!

greg burke
11-10-2009, 11:36
sounds like you got over payed.. if you were expecting nothing.............. thx for your honest hard work............greg.

Jester2000
11-10-2009, 12:05
The one odd thing about it all was the strange looks and some of the questions I got at the Rt. 7 parking lot. Mainly because nobody can imagine anyone cleaning a parking lot unless it's some sort of court-imposed community service.

I suppose the orange jumpsuit I was wearing didn't help.

Elder
11-10-2009, 12:58
:-? Does it say I'm a Hiker..Don't Shoot?
Or does it still say County?

All Hail Jester
repeat :D

sherrill
11-10-2009, 13:13
I've picked up a lot of trash in my life.

I've also done Adopt a Highway and picked up trash there as well... :p

Dogwood
11-10-2009, 13:56
The one odd thing about it all was the strange looks and some of the questions I got at the Rt. 7 parking lot. Mainly because nobody can imagine anyone cleaning a parking lot unless it's some sort of court-imposed community service....

What I think you are experiencing, at least in part, Jester, is that cultural norms are changing in the U.S. Many factors are involved, but I find in my lengthy travels across the U.S. every yr. that more and more people are increasingly becoming more self absorbed, fearful, self concerned, prideful, and harshly judgemental when someone does something outside of the cutural norms. I find that it shocks many people or makes them suspicious of alterior motives when someone unexpectedly reaches out to assist someone else! Makes me wonder just what these people are paying attention to to think and behave this way!

Jester2000
11-10-2009, 14:21
I've picked up a lot of trash in my life.

I've also done Adopt a Highway and picked up trash there as well... :p

Good job! Wait. That first sentence wasn't about your dating life, right? I know that someone in Billville was seriously looking into trying to have Billville Adopt-a-Highway on a section of road near Duncannon. Not sure what happened with that.

Johnny Thunder
11-11-2009, 06:06
We had this great orange jumpsuit and mullet wig combo that'd get busted out for every adopt-a-highway we did back in college. Since this was only a few miles from Lewisburg Penn it was really fun to have whoever was wearing it run off the "line" every once in a while. And then at night he'd peak into the sorority houses.

Newb
11-23-2009, 08:58
Keys Gap tends to get a lot of litter.