PDA

View Full Version : "Trail Mail" thru-hiking articles

SavageLlama
08-18-2004, 10:23
The latest in a series of great articles from a CT reporter who is currently thru-hiking.

"Trail Mail" series
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/scn-trailmaigallery,0,5564752.storygallery?coll=stam-main-utility

Toughing it to the good times

August 18, 2004
Stamford Advocate (javascript:NewWindow( 'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=stam');void(0);)

On the Appalachian Trail, we live by what's known as a three-day code.
The unwritten rule states that when everything seems to be going wrong and your morale is nearing a dangerous low point, just tough it out and within three days something magical will happen to lift your spirits again.

After three arduous days of hiking, I camped out one evening on Prospect Rock, overlooking Manchester Center, Vt., and the surrounding Green Mountains. I kicked back and watched the most spectacular sunset I have seen on my trip.

As the distant horizon became a deeper shade of red and the town's lights began to glow softly in the evening, everything turned completely still. Nothing appeared to stir, neither a breeze nor a mosquito. It was a moment that painters and poets dream of capturing. And, it was exactly the elixir I needed to recharge my body, mind and soul.

On the trail, good things -- much like the negative -- happen in droves. The next morning, when I reached the road into Manchester Center, I found a familiar face. Sitting on the trail with a cooler full of soda and snacks was "Syracuse," a fellow hiker who had been with us on the A.T. from Georgia to Pennsylvania (he only had time to do half the trail this year).

After commenting on how clean he looked, I sat back with a cold drink, and we started catching up. Within a short while, a dozen hikers were congregated around Syracuse's cooler when, to our surprise, "Bilbo," another A.T. walker, arrived in a car and invited us all to his house just a few miles down the road. That evening, we cooked ourselves a feast fit for kings and sat down to a four-hour meal.

There, with joyful hearts and full stomachs, we celebrated the great distance we had come and the few weeks that remained. Mount Katahdin was soon the focal point of our conversation, and we compared plans of how we intend to finish.

"Crispy Critter," a retired firefighter, had the most outlandish idea. He plans to summit the mountain in a tuxedo and dine on champagne and caviar at the top.

After such an incredible day, I was plowing through the woods like a runaway train, full of energy. Charging ahead, I couldn't help but recall all the special moments I've had on my journey and the many 'trail miracles' that kept me going when times were rough.

In addition, I realized the greatest magic of all was occurring in Stamford for the children at Waterside School. So many generous people have offered their valuable time and money to enhance Waterside's future.

To me, these are the ultimate "trail angels" because they've placed a purpose in my steps out here and brought life to this project.

This week, I'd like to ask those of you who have enjoyed following this column to join this group of miracle makers. If you haven't done so already, I'd like to encourage you to pledge a penny per mile-walked to Waterside School ($21.60 total).

It's a small token that will go a long way to ensure the future of the children who continue to inspire me over every mountain.

Thank you!

-- Doug Bisset of Stamford is hiking the 2,174-mile length of the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine to raise funds for Waterside School, a private day school for low-income children. Donations may be sent by downloading a pledge form at www.watersideschool.org/community.html

SavageLlama
08-19-2004, 17:20
Another good article on a thru-hiker this year..

"Appalachian Trail hiker thankful for strangers' kindness"
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101~7514~2344137,00.html

Rain Man
08-19-2004, 18:54
Another good article on a thru-hiker this year..

"Appalachian Trail hiker thankful for strangers' kindness"
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101~7514~2344137,00.html

Odd that they never gave his Trail Name! Or, did I just miss it somehow?

Rain Man

SavageLlama
08-19-2004, 23:31
Odd that they never gave his Trail Name! Or, did I just miss it somehow?

Rain Man
They missed it, somehow. lousy reporting.