PDA

View Full Version : TOW is in Johnson County Hospital

No Belay
11-09-2009, 20:53
:-? I just received a call from a volunteer at Johnson County Hospital in Tenn. She advised me that TOW was in CCU Rm #5 but wouldn't tell me about his condition (HEPPA sucks). She also advised that he has no access to a phone so my quess is it's fairly serious. I live in the SW corner of Missouri so I'm way out of pocket to help Larry out or to get additional information. If anyone in the area could be of assistance or knows someone who can,I know Larry would appreciate it.

TOW's off trail name is Larry Riddle and he's from Damascus, Va.. I don't know why the hospital called me. I helped TOW out back in Feb when his mom passed away but have no contact connection to the Johnson County Hospital that I'm aware of.

Any help, information, or advice would be appreciated.

TaTonka

Nicksaari
11-09-2009, 20:57
prayers to TOW and his friends tonight. i hope that he's okay

Lone Wolf
11-09-2009, 20:58
:-? I just received a call from a volunteer at Johnson County Hospital in Tenn. She advised me that TOW was in CCU Rm #5 but wouldn't tell me about his condition (HEPPA sucks). She also advised that he has no access to a phone so my quess is it's fairly serious. I live in the SW corner of Missouri so I'm way out of pocket to help Larry out or to get additional information. If anyone in the area could be of assistance or knows someone who can,I know Larry would appreciate it.

TOW's off trail name is Larry Riddle and he's from Damascus, Va.. I don't know why the hospital called me. I helped TOW out back in Feb when his mom passed away but have no contact connection to the Johnson County Hospital that I'm aware of.

Any help, information, or advice would be appreciated.

TaTonkai'll find out. i drove him to the abingdon hospital in the ambulance today

Lone Wolf
11-09-2009, 21:02
is the hospital in johnson city? do you have a phone #?

The Weasel
11-09-2009, 21:03
Tell him we are all thinking of him, and we expect him to be making breakfast for everyone soon!

TW

Chaco Taco
11-09-2009, 21:04
Let us know whats going on. We are close by if someone needs to go up. Just let us know

Lone Wolf
11-09-2009, 21:12

i just confirmed he's at Johnston Memorial Hospital in Abingdon

No Belay
11-09-2009, 21:14
LW,

THe Vol just said Johnson County Medical Center so I took for granted that it was Johnson City. You'd probably know more about the Med units in that area than I. I almost thought it was a joke when I received the call because they called on my land line and Larry doesn't have that number.

Thanks for checking on him and let me know what I can do to help.

No Belay
11-09-2009, 21:17
Thanks Wolf, I'll send a PM

i just confirmed he's at Johnston Memorial Hospital in Abingdon

Cabin Fever
11-09-2009, 21:31
LW,

THe Vol just said Johnson County Medical Center so I took for granted that it was Johnson City. You'd probably know more about the Med units in that area than I. I almost thought it was a joke when I received the call because they called on my land line and Larry doesn't have that number.

Thanks for checking on him and let me know what I can do to help.

Doubly confusing because the county just south of Damascus in Tennessee is Johnson County (Mountain City) which does not include Johnson City (Washington County). Johnston Memorial Hospital is in Abingdon, VA (Washington County, VA).

Prayers to TOW. Keep us posted if there are any needs.

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2009, 21:32
Its a Mountains State facility. They are not all that coordinated.

Lyle
11-09-2009, 21:32
Never met TOW, but have had some correspondence with him.

Best wishes to Larry, please do let us all know if there is anything we can do.

Alligator
11-09-2009, 21:46
Hope it's a brief stay and that he's back on his feet soon.

Captain Blue
11-09-2009, 22:11
I wish TOW a speedy recovery. I met him in August of 2007. I am not sure what HEPPA is though.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2009, 22:16
I am not sure what HEPPA is though.

http://personalinsure.about.com/od/health/a/aa041806a.htm

Gray Blazer
11-09-2009, 22:24
Praying for you, Larry.

generoll
11-09-2009, 22:31
http://personalinsure.about.com/od/health/a/aa041806a.htm

No one is sure what HIPPA is, but it's a major PITA. I've been in healthcare for 40 years and about all I can tell you is see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Or anything else. An that's with mandatory yearly inservices.

BitBucket
11-09-2009, 22:53
Larry, we're praying for a speedy recovery....get well soon! If there's anything we can do for you let us know...

No Belay
11-09-2009, 23:17
I wish TOW a speedy recovery. I met him in August of 2007. I am not sure what HEPPA is though.

Sorry about that. HEPPA was an old girlfriend.... I'm sure you heard of her.
Heppa TightAss Sea.

She and I both hope the best for TOW with a speedy recovery.

TaTonka

Egads
11-09-2009, 23:24
HIPAA http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/

Nearly Normal
11-09-2009, 23:32
HIPAA http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/

Freedom of Information Act will come into play there soon.

Bulldawg
11-09-2009, 23:34
Best wishes to Larry for a speedy recovery!

Rain Man
11-10-2009, 00:36
Sorry to hear Larry is in the hospital, especially in a CCU. Please tell him Rain Man sends his prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rain Man

Ron Haven
11-10-2009, 00:39
I like TOW alot.Hope everything's ok.

Tin Man
11-10-2009, 06:14
best wishes to TOW

MintakaCat
11-10-2009, 06:17
Get well soon TOW.

Maddog
11-10-2009, 07:23
Get well soon.:)

JokerJersey
11-10-2009, 08:52
Best wishes for a quick recovery! Get well soon TOW.

Jayboflavin04
11-10-2009, 08:56
Got to meet TOW "larry" this summer. As the rest were saying, if there is anything we can do let us know. This guy will do anything he can to help out a hiker. So if I can help out let me know.

Prayers
Apples and Wee Man

bigmac_in
11-10-2009, 09:14
Any update on Larry?

Hope he gets well soon !

nitewalker
11-10-2009, 09:18
best wishes to TOW aka larry riddle and family.......peace and prayers, nitewalker

Blissful
11-10-2009, 10:34
Get well soon. In my thoughts and prayers.

Skyline
11-10-2009, 11:33
Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Larry. We need you back here on WB!

Lilred
11-10-2009, 12:00
Prayers are with you Larry. Keep us informed Wolf.

peanuts
11-10-2009, 12:02
keep us posted. i hope he is okay.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2009, 13:26
Prayers are with you Larry. Keep us informed Wolf.

was at the hospital. they're releasing him today

No Belay
11-10-2009, 13:30
BM, I'm not able to get any info on TOW other than he's there. Might check the camp and see if LW has any more info.

DragonAss

Any update on Larry?

Hope he gets well soon !

Pacific Tortuga
11-10-2009, 13:37
TOW, you ole river rat. What have you gone and done now ? Seriously, get well and take care of yourself. Your an important part of the Trail community,
no matter what any of us old fart's say. Really, GET WELL ! :)

No Belay
11-10-2009, 13:41
was at the hospital. they're releasing him today
Thanks Wolf, Sounds like all is well.

toegem
11-10-2009, 14:25
Thanks LW, good to hear he's being released.

Manwich
11-10-2009, 14:27
TOW has some commitment issues. First he can't stay off WB... now he won't stay in the hospital...

TOW
11-10-2009, 15:16
I be back! And hopefully for a while longer and thank you all, I feel truly lifted and grateful for all of you.

My heart meds were increased last week and my blood pressure dipped down so low yesterday that I ended up on the ground. Anyway that is what they think happened to me is that my meds acted too strongly and I just about left this world.....

Yep I cannot stay off of here and I do not want to go back to the hospital......

CrumbSnatcher
11-10-2009, 15:21
glad your ok TOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gray Blazer
11-10-2009, 15:22
You can't leave yet. Sally needs you!

Phreak
11-10-2009, 15:30
Glad everything is ok.

Maddog
11-10-2009, 15:32
welcome back!

The Weasel
11-10-2009, 15:42
When is breakfast?

TW

Lyle
11-10-2009, 15:43
Good News!

Sleeps_With_Skunks
11-10-2009, 16:21
I be back! And hopefully for a while longer and thank you all, I feel truly lifted and grateful for all of you.

My heart meds were increased last week and my blood pressure dipped down so low yesterday that I ended up on the ground. Anyway that is what they think happened to me is that my meds acted too strongly and I just about left this world.....

Yep I cannot stay off of here and I do not want to go back to the hospital......

My dad had that happen with his heart meds once, scared the S**T out of everyone including him. Then the meds they switched him to made his psoriasis go into overdrive and cover him head to toe in under 3 days. It was an interesting week.

Lugnut
11-10-2009, 16:55
My dad had that happen with his heart meds once, scared the S**T out of everyone including him. Then the meds they switched him to made his psoriasis go into overdrive and cover him head to toe in under 3 days.

Well, that ought to cheer him up! :eek: Just kidding
Welcome back Larry! :)

Red Hat
11-10-2009, 20:02
sounds like Proamatine (midodrine), my husband was taking 4 a day and had the same problem.. Now he is taking 2 a day and much better... They don't want his weak heart racing, but we don't want to slow it down altogether either!

Blissful
11-10-2009, 20:11

I am very glad you are here and NOT in the hospital, thank you.!!!

:D

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2009, 20:20
TOW:

Just saw this thread. Sure hope you're feeling better soon.

Lilred
11-10-2009, 20:49
glad you got it all worked out TOW.... take care

weary
11-10-2009, 20:54
I'm increasingly suspicious of all prescribed medicines -- and of health insurance plans. Research, research, research is my practice now.

Two highly recommended medical professional medical care folks (doctors) have prescribed potentially fatal medicines to me in recent years. One prescription permanently damaged my lungs. Another (by the same doctor), could have killed me had I not caught the mistake, myself.

Currently, I'm being switched by the company which bought my former employer, into a generic "medicare advantage plan."

A preliminary investigation suggests that the switch violates the contract I entered into when I accepted "early" retirement, ( I was just two months from age 62)

Whatever. I hope to explore the several options. with others, as soon as the problems emerge that I, wiht my limited resiurces, acan legitimatelyh sustain. with an

TOW
11-10-2009, 21:28
everything was great until about 3:30 this afternoon when my blood pressure went to 170/110..........back to the hospital and now it is within normal range....

I don't know guys, guess i am in for a roller coaster ride for awhile....

Doctari
11-10-2009, 21:32
Had the pleasure of meeting Larry several times, I wish him well!

HIPPA is a health care privacy act, we in the health care field cannot tell anyone anything about anyone. I'm sure the letters mean something,,, Possibly: Health Information Privacy Protection Act.

I call it the tree killing act.

TOW
11-10-2009, 21:35
they are saying the culprit is Atenolol and Cumadin. they were asking why i was still on Cumadin three yrs after the clots? they were saying i should have been taken off of it a couple of years back........

TOW
11-10-2009, 21:38
By the way LW, thanx for checking up on me. That meant a lot.....

bloodmountainman
11-10-2009, 21:53
TOW or Larry, we have never met, but you are one of favorite "characters" on WB. I always make it a point to read your posts and it seems we have a lot in common. Hope everything works out for you. Best wishes to you.
The Man from Blood Mt.:sun

BitBucket
11-10-2009, 21:57
Glad you're feeling better TOW...you have to watch those Docs...sometimes one doesn't keep up with what the other is doing...and it can have bad effects on you..

I've started checking potential drug interactions on Epocrates...I've caught a couple of things that they prescribed for me and members of my family that shouldn't be taken together...

Hope you continue to feel better and are able to get back on the trail soon...

Tinker
11-10-2009, 22:44
Geez! I go for a weekend hike, come back, and someone's in the hospital!
Welcome back, TOW. Take care, friend.

TOW
11-11-2009, 13:08
I have been sick too much lately and am ashamed of getting upset and causing others to react to me the way they did back when I got upset at all of my friends here and on the other site that shall not be named.

I am ashamed that I got angry at some of you, I do not have a clue why I got so upset back then and here lately I have been experiencing some weird stuff with my body and tryin to figure things out. Most of the time I am okay.

Today I feel like it could be any moment, so I have to clean house. If any of you feel like you don't like me because I may have did something or said something to you, just forgive me. We are all human.....

I forgive all of you for anything, I do not care anymore about this or about that. I just have to get my crap together here and be a man about it.

I am not afraid of dying, or being disabled. I just fear not having any friends around when it happens.

I got some kind of brain or nerve thing kicking my butt here and it is eating at me a little every day. But i am still working and will continue on until I cannot.

So there, I said it. I am not looking or wanting sympathy. All I want to do is have a good relationship with all my friends here because other than my father you guys are my family. I need it, and I figure that we don't get if we don't ask.

I am ready to be truthful about some things in my life as well, I am just ready to be me totally.

The Weasel
11-11-2009, 13:44
***I forgive all of you for anything, I do not care anymore about this or about that.***

TOW -

I realize you're raving, and while you're forgiving everyone else for everything, you probably have forgotten most of the things I've said that you wouldn't forgive! So thanks! I needed that, big time!!!:D

As for the rest, well, Dude, even without having used your phone or eaten your breakfasts (yet!) I'm proud that you're MY friend, and you have a few hundred/thousand/gazillion more of them here! :banana

And them ain't weasel words, either!

The Weasel

Bearpaw
11-11-2009, 17:57
Glad to hear you're doing better TOW. Hang in there.

Lugnut
11-11-2009, 18:09
There has to be at least 5 or 6 of us here that still like you! :D
Seriously, you have more friends than you could possibly realize. Wishing the best for you so hang in there! :)

TOW
11-11-2009, 19:03
There has to be at least 5 or 6 of us here that still like you! :D
Seriously, you have more friends than you could possibly realize. Wishing the best for you so hang in there! :)
I know without a doubt that I have many friends and I am very grateful for it. And yes Weasel I am a raving lunatic!:D

The Weasel
11-11-2009, 19:06
I know without a doubt that I have many friends and I am very grateful for it. And yes Weasel I am a raving lunatic!:D

I never said you raved!!! ;) But I don't want to argue with someone who owes me breakfast, so OK, you're not just a lunatic, but a raving one to boot!:D

TW

Hikerhead
11-11-2009, 19:26
Get well soon Tow.

Gray Blazer
11-12-2009, 08:12
Ya'll need to hang with Larry when you go to Damascus. His house is right on the trail! The sidewalk outside his door IS the AT! He is available and welcoming.

JJJ
11-12-2009, 11:45
Hang in there TOW, glad you're feelin' better.

Alligator
11-12-2009, 11:47
Hey TOW it sounds like maybe the medical people aren't sure you were supposed to be on coumadin? If you stay on it you have to watch your diet, as Vit K interferes with how effective the coumadin is. I have to watch out about clotting myself as well, but am able to get away with aspirin therapy. It could be a question to run past your doctor.

Rain Man
11-12-2009, 13:40
Ya'll need to hang with Larry when you go to Damascus. His house is right on the trail! The sidewalk outside his door IS the AT! He is available and welcoming.

Ain't that the truth! I've sat on his front porch, eatin' some of his good cookin', and yakkin' with AT hikers as they walk by. TOW is a good guy. I'm glad to hear he's home.

Rain:sunMan

No Belay
11-12-2009, 19:03
Hey TOW, I keep on tellin you, you can't quit that shine cold turkey. Makes you start acting like an ATVr, all hyped up and *****so like. ;)

Glad you're sleeping back on the trail and I know your gal Sal was happy to see you. Stop drinking that Cowboy coffee, get back to walkin, and quit chasin those skinny women. Chase the round ones, they're not so fast and are easier on the heart.

Savor Happy!!

TaTonka

TOW
11-12-2009, 20:56
Hey TOW it sounds like maybe the medical people aren't sure you were supposed to be on coumadin? If you stay on it you have to watch your diet, as Vit K interferes with how effective the coumadin is. I have to watch out about clotting myself as well, but am able to get away with aspirin therapy. It could be a question to run past your doctor.
I think the cardiologist is going to take me off of the coumadin next week. He told me to continue to take it for the time being so I cut myself down to 5 mg instead of the 10 mg that I have been taking.

TOW
11-12-2009, 20:58
Hey TOW, I keep on tellin you, you can't quit that shine cold turkey. Makes you start acting like an ATVr, all hyped up and *****so like. ;)

Glad you're sleeping back on the trail and I know your gal Sal was happy to see you. Stop drinking that Cowboy coffee, get back to walkin, and quit chasin those skinny women. Chase the round ones, they're not so fast and are easier on the heart.

Savor Happy!!

TaTonkaDidn't I tell you about my new girlfriend? She is pretty plump, she has one tooth and whiskers........I think this one will hang with me for awhile.......

The Weasel
11-12-2009, 21:49
Didn't I tell you about my new girlfriend? She is pretty plump, she has one tooth and whiskers........I think this one will hang with me for awhile.......

Wow, and you with no tooth or whiskers! You must be so proud! :D

TW

SunnyWalker
11-12-2009, 23:15
Hang in there TOW. I am still planning on coming by your place when I thru hike the AT. You are a good guy. Keep you eyes on the Lord. He is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

TOW
11-13-2009, 01:49
I am beginning to really like living again.....

double d
11-13-2009, 01:56
Welcome back TOW, can't keep a good man down.

Hooch
11-13-2009, 06:21
Didn't I tell you about my new girlfriend? She is pretty plump, she has one tooth and whiskers........Are you dating one of my ex-wives? :eek::D:banana

TOW
11-13-2009, 08:11
Are you dating one of my ex-wives? :eek::D:banana
I guess I better run and hide.....:eek:

Gray Blazer
11-13-2009, 08:17
How many ex-wives do you have?

Hooch
11-13-2009, 09:12
How many ex-wives do you have?2. You want the one that TOW ain't got? Sell her to ya cheap. :rolleyes:

Gray Blazer
11-13-2009, 11:19
2. You want the one that TOW ain't got? Sell her to ya cheap. :rolleyes:

I already have one (although I am a Mormon). Big Love and all that.

TOW
11-13-2009, 19:55
Looks like I will be heading back to the ER here shortly. If they keep me I will tell them to let any of you who call know what is going on......

sheepdog
11-13-2009, 20:07
no sense messing up two families!!:D

sheepdog
11-13-2009, 20:09
Looks like I will be heading back to the ER here shortly. If they keep me I will tell them to let any of you who call know what is going on......
Hope all goes well

The Weasel
11-13-2009, 20:39
Whoever hears, I know they will tell the rest of us how he is doing, and that we all care. A lot.

TW

weary
11-13-2009, 22:52
TOW
Even though I was a wanderer long before you, and was vaguely offended those several years ago when you proclaimed to be "The Only Wanderer" I've grown to appreciate your wandering insights about this increasingly brief earthly interlude that we seem to be involved with.

Anyway, my advice is to keep up the fight. Who knows what the future holds. Your guesses are a bit different than mine. However, let's neither of us rush to a final decision. Because I've got a few things to ask you first.

Weary

Hooch
11-13-2009, 23:37
Looks like I will be heading back to the ER here shortly. If they keep me I will tell them to let any of you who call know what is going on......Nothing' personal, but you can't be too sick if you got time to type about it on the computer. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

mudcap
11-13-2009, 23:42
I wish you the best TOW.

TOW
11-14-2009, 00:03
Okay, I am back home and you were partially right there Hooch. My blood pressure has been going up and down all day long. The doctor said that she evaluated my blood from when I was there Monday night, Tuesday night, and then tonight and she said my sodium was real low and I am dehydrated. That explains why it took almost five bags of saline Monday night to get my pressure back up to normal range.

They checked my urine tonight and said that she thinks there is something wrong with the kidneys because there was blood and protein in it as well. She thinks with this damage that I may be spilling out more fluids than I am taking in. I drink water all day long. So she said to drink plenty of Gatorade, non sugar and to increase my sodium. i had decreased my sodium because my doc had said that I needed too. I have been following a diet very strictly as well by boiling or baking my food and I have been eating fish like fresh salmon and tuna and sardines and herring. I have been eating brown rice, lots of vegetables as well. Along with that my sugar intake has been fruits or pure fruit juices.

So I am scheduled to see a kidney specialist next week sometime.

The Weasel
11-14-2009, 20:12
Remember that you pee in the cup when you see him. Not like the last time!:eek:

The Weasel

TOW
11-14-2009, 20:13
Well I am feeling better and I hope it continues........

Cookerhiker
11-14-2009, 20:46
Okay, I am back home and you were partially right there Hooch. My blood pressure has been going up and down all day long. The doctor said that she evaluated my blood from when I was there Monday night, Tuesday night, and then tonight and she said my sodium was real low and I am dehydrated. That explains why it took almost five bags of saline Monday night to get my pressure back up to normal range.

They checked my urine tonight and said that she thinks there is something wrong with the kidneys because there was blood and protein in it as well. She thinks with this damage that I may be spilling out more fluids than I am taking in. I drink water all day long. So she said to drink plenty of Gatorade, non sugar and to increase my sodium. i had decreased my sodium because my doc had said that I needed too. I have been following a diet very strictly as well by boiling or baking my food and I have been eating fish like fresh salmon and tuna and sardines and herring. I have been eating brown rice, lots of vegetables as well. Along with that my sugar intake has been fruits or pure fruit juices.

So I am scheduled to see a kidney specialist next week sometime.

Best of luck to you TOW. That's a real healthy diet you have - wish I had the discipline but it looks like we can't cut out sodium completely.

johnnybgood
11-14-2009, 21:22
Also wishing you the best on maintaining good health .

Just remember to continue eating healthy and keep us updated on what the kidney specialist says.

Shadowmoss
11-14-2009, 22:32
TOW: You are in my thoughts.