PDA

View Full Version : Endangered Hostel

Pilgrim2K
08-18-2004, 13:52
I'm posting this on WB, because we need some help from all the hikers. We need for you to become involved! Rainbow Springs Campground/Hiker Hostel near Franklin, N.C. which was purchased two years ago is now up for sale. The owners are going to sell it or develop it if it hasn't sold by the end of the year. This hostel is only .9 of a mile from the trail at Wallace Gap. Several of us have been in touch with the Little Tenn. Land Trust, (LTLT) to discuss the purchase and turning it into a non-profit which will be preserved for all time. It would continue to operate as a campground/hiker hostel indefinitely, and all the profits would be set aside for the LTLT. The LTLT has shown interest in this and has given us an official letter of interest and is prepared to move forward. Winton Porter of Mountain Crossing Outfitters at Neels Gap has just returned from the Backpack Show in Salt Lake City, Utah, where he contacted a number of Mfg. Reps regarding making tax deductible contributions to the LTLT for this project. We are starting a grassroots movement here and are asking for the help of everyone that uses the hostels up and down the trail to please write or call the manufactures of the equipment that we buy and use and encourage them to get on board and make a tax deductible donation to this project. All corporations have a budget set aside for this type of thing. This is a win win situation for all of us. They get the Tax Deduction, we get to keep a hostel and the area around the trail will stay free of development. I for one would hate to see this place turned into condo's or a housing subdivision. We are in the process of putting more information on Mtn. Crossing Web Page. I'll post more info as I get it.

Rain Man
08-18-2004, 17:34
I'm posting this on WB, because we need some help from all the hikers. We need for you to become involved! Rainbow Springs Campground/Hiker Hostel near Franklin, N.C. which was purchased two years ago is now up for sale. ....

So strange to read this, since I was just there Monday! Let us know what to do and when, and many of us will write. Great place.

And Pilgrim, thanks so much for the shuttle Saturday evening! Paul and I had a good time. Did the section in less than 2 days. I'll post a trip report soon.

Rain Man

Tater
08-18-2004, 17:40
Sounds like a plan to me. Keep us posted at least once a month.

Pilgrim2K
08-18-2004, 20:21
Thanks for the input. I'll gather info on the potential donors that can be written to and post it.
Rainman, enjoyed the shuttle and glad you had a good hike.

Doctari
08-18-2004, 22:57
Rainbow springs is one of my favoritest places to stay on the AT. I'll try to help with a donation.
Actually, IF I had the money &/or assets, I would buy it myself. :sun

Doctari.

bobgessner57
08-18-2004, 23:10
How much are they asking for the property and how much property comes with the place? I'd sure hate to see more development if it can be avoided. The hostel has certainly become a great tradition, too. The land trust idea sounds like a win/win situation for the trust and hostel users. I think lots of folks will be willing to pitch in.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2004, 23:21
It's gonna take a half million to buy it. For just a hostel? There's a lot better pieces of property to fight for on the AT. Rainbow Springs is not wilderness.

orangebug
08-19-2004, 07:10
It's gonna take a half million to buy it. For just a hostel? There's a lot better pieces of property to fight for on the AT...
You have a point. I'd like to see the fishing community get involved with this, as the streams through the property will have the most impact if Condo construction or summer homes are erected. There is no ski slope. The views aren't spectacular. It is well off of US 64. It has competition from NC State's Standing Indian Park.

It is a bad investment. The Crossman's knew it.

I suspect that it is a better investment as a Foundation's gift to a Land Trust. I suspect that this is just the plan for the organizers of this project.

Pilgrim2K
08-19-2004, 09:18
Their asking a million dollars for the property which is only 10 acres. Lone Wolf is right this is a lot for a hostel and that's why we are getting the land trust involved. It will be an operating gift to them. The purpose of this is save the land from development and also protect the river. We're also working with the Rainbow Springs coilition which has the land below the Campground protected.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2004, 09:30
A MILLION? holy s**t! It ain't worth that much.

kentucky
08-19-2004, 10:18
I most certainly agree,north carolina sure is nice !

treasureman
08-25-2004, 20:49
For more info about this situation, please see this page:

http://rainbowspringscampground.com/letter.htm

The Land Trust for the Little Tennessee Land is interested in conserving Rainbow Springs Campground and Hikers Hostel.

jensine
08-27-2004, 16:05
I wondered when this news would hit WB. It's up for 1.1 million. Apparently the new owners (who are absentee owners)
thought they could make a fortune in the first year and a half. Even though we offered advice, etc. to assist them. But they chose to put alot of money where it wasn't needed. We made Rainbow Springs what it was. It was our life and livelihood. No it was not a bad investment, but like any investment, you have to want it to succeed and you have to work hard at it. We enjoyed all of our years at Rainbow Springs and would hate to see it developed. It hurts us to drive by and see the grounds not being kept up and hearing from our old campers, etc. that the bathhouse isn't as clean as Buddy kept it and that the store does't have much to sell. It's tough to make money on a campground when you keep hours of 9-6!!!

eyahiker
08-27-2004, 16:11
Priced above market value. They obviously aren't interested in the AT just the profits, understanble I suppose. (Check the local property listings for those who are doubters.;) ) Please don't make me list them here.........my posts are getting too long:o

Sweetpea
08-28-2004, 11:37
We are Barry and Terry who have had the pleasure of managing the new Rainbow Springs Campground and would very much like to thank Buddy and Jensine Crossman for all their support. Without them we would have never been here in the first place.
Our mission is first to protect and preserve Rainbow Springs Campground from development by bringing it into the Land Trust for the Little Tennessee.
Second, is to support all hikers with shelter and supplies. If you have been here in the last 2 years then you know we are very capable of doing so.
Third, with the preservation of Rainbow Springs Campground and the hostel, anything above and beyond opperating expenses shall be contributed to land, trail and river conservation.Thank You
If you would like to visit our 2004 Hikers Photo Gallery see www.rainbowspringscampground.com

orangebug
08-28-2004, 12:27
We are Barry and Terry who have had the pleasure of managing the new Rainbow Springs Campground and would very much like to thank Buddy and Jensine Crossman for all their support. Without them we would have never been here in the first place.
Our mission is first to protect and preserve Rainbow Springs Campground from development by bringing it into the Land Trust for the Little Tennessee.
Second, is to support all hikers with shelter and supplies. If you have been here in the last 2 years then you know we are very capable of doing so.
Third, with the preservation of Rainbow Springs Campground and the hostel, anything above and beyond opperating expenses shall be contributed to land, trail and river conservation.[/url]
I wish you all the best of luck. I am sorry that the former owners and others criticized your willingness to be entrepreneurs. Of course, they received similar complaints. I am sorry that some hikers begrudge you the honor of attempting your purchase and development during adverse economic conditions. Sometimes it sucks when you are your own boss.
Frankly, I will be surprised if you are able to keep RBSC anywhere near an economically viable position without some level of development for retirees and other residences. I applaud your decision to allow the general public and foundations to attempt conservation of this valuable resource.

Bill....

jensine
08-29-2004, 11:52
In my previous post I did not begrudge Barry & Terry of their efforts to save
Rainbow Spring. In fact if you would read my post in FULL you will note that
I said "We would hate to see Rainbow Springs developed." It's not an easy
business to be in and any effort they can make to save Rainbow Springs is
appreciated by many. Jensine

Sweetpea
08-30-2004, 10:58
Over 1,000 of you have already shown an interest in the fate of Rainbow Springs Campground. With numbers like these even contributions as small as $20.00 could buy the option and the time needed to save Rainbow Springs and keep the doors open for the 2005 hiking season.
We are presently contacting many manufacturers, but are finding that the sponsorship and grant process is alot of red tape.
Soon to be released is a list of manufacturers, numbers, email, and contact people that all of you may be able to write, call or email to help this process along. Fortunatly we have control of our web site, (see for more info),
www.rainbowspringscampground.com . This is great asset for the cause.
1.1 million is alot of money, but prices are always subject to change and will. Also, this is not raw land, but an established hiker hostel with stores, (including an outfitter), bunkhouse/yurt cabins, and a large bathhouse all ready for 2005.
As mentioned earlier, with the preservation of RBC and hiker hostel any monies above and beyond opperating expenses shall be contributed to land, trail and river conservation.
Again, Thank you for your support and contributions.
Yours, Barry and Terry

hikerat2002
09-01-2004, 17:26
No, seriously, RS is not paid off by Barry? Property taxes too high? What gives that they will have to let developers take over? Possible to sell shares of the place to hikers? Say for $200 you get a lifetime pass to camp there when hiking on the AT? How many hikers would that take , say maybe 5,000, to fund the place ? Are there that many hikers interested in saving Rainbow Springs?

TimberPixie
09-02-2004, 13:58
A group of us do trail maintaining on the AT with Nantahala Hiking Club and a 4 mile section near Deep Gap, NC. We live in Georgia so we usually stay overnight camping somewhere. One time I came in late the night before and Standing Indian campground was full. I decided to try Rainbow Springs but the office was closed but then one of the managers called down from upstairs and asked if I needed any help. I explained I had some trail work to do on the AT tomorrow. He and his wife immediately opened the office and had me settled into a site in no time. Our group has been staying there ever since. It has been a great place to recover after a hard day on the trail.

Rainbow Springs campground has been VERY supportive of our work on the AT and an invaluable resource to the multitudes of hikers that pass through there.

This campground is rustic, uncrowded, has clean bunkhouses, LOTS of open greenspace, fishing, and great conversations with fellow campers. Rainbow Springs campground ALWAYS makes you feel right at home.

RSC is truly a unique place surrounded by protected forest and the Nantahala River. Losing RSC would be a GREAT loss for the AT and it's hikers. We should all help in any way we can to save this invaluable resource.

TP

Coosa
09-05-2004, 00:01
I suggest that those who have started this thread also post at other AT and hiker/backpacker websites/forums/etc. to raise awareness of this issue and to solicit email addresses of those who would donate money towards the purchase of Rainbow Springs CampGround by the Little Tennessee Land Trust.

Advertise the need while obtaining an account with the Land Trust where monies can be sent and let the hiking community know when the account is set up and the address, etc. to send money to.

There are AT maintaining clubs. Their membership is a good resource for raising funds. As mentioned in another post, people who fish will be impacted by a "gated community" if the property is sold for such purposes. Solicit the assistance of those clubs across the USofA.

A million divided by $20 a person is "only" 50,000 people. With the help of other forums and websites, the money could be raised in record time.

I'm only the idea person :sun so I'll let one of you 'youngsters' take over and run with my idea, if you feel it has merit.

Email me and I'll send you urls to some of my favorite backpacking websites/forums.

As they say in the South: Git'er done!
Coosa
:clap

Sweetpea
09-18-2004, 14:47
In my own experiences with the Appalachian Trail and two seasons at Rainbow Springs Campground I understand the importance of this hostel to the thru hikers AT Experience.
The weather can be very discouraging here at 3700 feet in March and April. Ice, snow and cold are the norm not the exception. Trail legs are still developing so it is important to get into a hostel for warmth, comfort and not to lose the support of your fellow hikers.
I have seen many hikers go to town, alone in a hotel room, only to lose the vision of the trail. It makes it easy to take that bus home. If you have thru hiked then you understand the importance of these hiker hostels especially in the beginning of the hike.
Unfortunately, time for the hostel will run out next month. Demolition will begin and homes will be built for a few wealthy individuals. This very special place will be forever lost to the thousands who have passed thru here.
The few of us that are fighting to save Rainbow Springs Campground have put together a list of manufacturers names, telephone numbers, contact persons and email addresses. Please contact these companies and ask them to support this important cause, as we have all supported them in buying and using their equipment.
See our web site www.rainbowspringscampground.com for this list. We will also post the results, positive and negative as we start to hear from these equipment manufacturers.
Thank you very much for your help.

Barry Glidden

09-18-2004, 20:14
I heard the land across the street of about the same size is for sale, and it is about 70% cheaper. Not sure if his is true but if so why not secure the land next door and make a campground out of it.

MOWGLI
09-18-2004, 21:04
I heard the land across the street of about the same size is for sale, and it is about 70% cheaper. Not sure if his is true but if so why not secure the land next door and make a campground out of it.

Good point Profile, but that raises two questions.

1. If you build a campground across the street, will a subdivision in the existing campground diminish the experience by changing the character of the area?

2. If you "save" the campground/hostel - could someone buy the land across the street - subdivide - and change the character of the area?

Sweetpea
09-19-2004, 16:19
Thank you for your input. It is always good to have another option.
The land across from the campground is National Forest property. The land you are referring to is more than ¼ mile further from the AT than RSC with a price tag of $725,000.00. It is in a small residential neighborhood.
It is raw land with no store, hostel, bathhouse, outfitter, laundry, or campground.
We feel that to develop this property from scratch would put it well above the one million dollar price tag.

Barry

09-21-2004, 22:43
Thank you for your input. It is always good to have another option.
The land across from the campground is National Forest property. The land you are referring to is more than ¼ mile further from the AT than RSC with a price tag of $725,000.00. It is in a small residential neighborhood.
It is raw land with no store, hostel, bathhouse, outfitter, laundry, or campground.
We feel that to develop this property from scratch would put it well above the one million dollar price tag.

Barry

Ok. I had just heard. Good to see you are already aware.

Lilred
10-16-2004, 11:51
Unfortunately, time for the hostel will run out next month. Demolition will begin and homes will be built for a few wealthy individuals. Barry Glidden

Has anyone heard what ever became of this situation? Have we lost Rainbow Springs?

steve hiker
10-16-2004, 12:39
I was there a week ago, and they (forget the hosts names) said they were going to ask the owners if they could buy an option good through the 2005 spring hiking season to purchase the property. One of the owners is in favor of keeping it as a hiking place, but it really comes down to money.

The owners are looking for a buck. They'd be just as happy if the hiking community bought the property as in developing it. In some ways that would be more appealing to them because they don't have any of the permits or zoning clearances yet to turn it into a condo complex. Plus there might be zoning opposition from neighbors in the area. So if the hosts buy the option, it will give them (and us) at least through the Spring to drum up enough contributions to purchase. But nothing is done until it's done.

They close for the season Nov. 1.

Jaybird
10-16-2004, 18:10
i'm sure RAINBOW SPRINGS CAMPGROUNDS are nice....but, i agree with L.W. on this one....the property is NOT worth the "asking" price...

and as for hikers....you've got Standing Indian Campgrounds...closer to the trail anyway!

Lone Wolf
10-16-2004, 18:19
You've got Hiawassee and The Blueberry Patch a few days before it and Franklin is an easy hitch instead of Rainbow Springs then in a couple of days you're at the NOC. It's not a "critical" hostel by any means.

steve hiker
10-17-2004, 02:15
It's not a "critical" hostel by any means.
Yeah but condos and subdivisions near the trail are bad news anytime. Do you really want those developments sprouting up within eyeshot of the trail? With their floodlights slaughtering the darkness at night and obliterating whatever is left of the "wilderness" around the AT?

An asking price is an asking price. Sounds to me like the owners would happily sell for the fair market value.

Peaks
10-17-2004, 08:45
You've got Hiawassee and The Blueberry Patch a few days before it and Franklin is an easy hitch instead of Rainbow Springs then in a couple of days you're at the NOC. It's not a "critical" hostel by any means.

Wolf, that all depends on what type of a thru-hike you want to do. My self, I wanted to minimize the frequency of hitching and being dependent on others for rides. So, I was able to walk into Rainbow Springs and walk back to the trail. For me, Rainbow Springs was my choice of a convienent resupply place.

Lone Wolf
10-17-2004, 11:00
I guess you won't be able to do the PCT or CDT. No hostels every 30-50 miles out there. Trail life will go on if RS closes. Another one will pop up.

Lilred
10-17-2004, 11:02
I guess you won't be able to do the PCT or CDT. No hostels every 30-50 miles out there. Trail life will go on if RS closes. Another one will pop up.

It's what will pop up on that land that bothers me.....

weary
10-17-2004, 14:52
i'm sure RAINBOW SPRINGS CAMPGROUNDS are nice....but, i agree with L.W. on this one....the property is NOT worth the "asking" price...
!

I've lived with this mind set for most of my life. In the mid 1950's my grandmother bid on a mile of salt water waterfront, five miles from the open ocean. Unfortunately, she had no money to pay the $600 price tag. I was in college at the time under the GI Bill of Rights, that paid me $110 a month.

Everyone I asked for a $600 loan told me my grandmother had bid too much. That the land was only worth $200. Well a cousin ended up owning the land. He carved it into 10 lots that he sold a few years later for $15,000 each.

Those lots are now worth $300,000 each.

Well I got out of college and went to work for a tiny, 3,000 circulation daily newspaper, a few miles north of my counsin's subdivision. One day a history buff stopped by my newspaper desk and announced that for $25,000 he was going to buy 250 acres of land that Benedict Arnold had passed in 1775 enroute to conquer Quebec.

A week later he came back to announce the sale had fallen though. A lawyer had told him that $25,000 was "too much," and to wait a few weeks and the price would drop, but that unfortunately a developer had snuck in and bought the land for the original price. Five acre houselots on that land are now selling for $250,000 each

Well, to make a long story readable, let me abreviate. a couple of years later, 1962, 2.5 acres of land and a house came on the market with 250 feet of the same water frontage for $3,000. I negotiated and finally bought the parcel for $2,950. (I had to give up the kitchen sink)

Only one of the dozens of people I asked for advice prior to the sale gave me any encouagement. "What do you want that junk house for?" most asked. And reminded me that it fronted on a polluted river. The exception, had said, "Bob, they aint making waterfront any more. Buy it."

Well most of those naysayers are long dead, or too old to remember. But I got my tax bill last week. The assessors now seem to think that my $2,950 house and land is worth $295,000. (The assessors are way too low, but don't anyone tell them.)

Well, they also aint making any more land next to the Appalachian Trail, any more. I say. Buy it.

Weary

Fisherman_Tim
10-18-2004, 16:33
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, this is my first post.

Its so sad to see Rainbow Springs Campground close. I went to their web site just now all thats there is text saying they are closing, it kind of made it seem more final for me. I have been visiting RS 2-3 times a year for 4 years now. I'm a day hiker at best and not really a AT hiker although I've done short sections. I mostly go to RS to recharge and fish.

I loved being around all the through hikers that go there. The stories you all tell have inspired me to do more hiking every time I returned. My last trip there I shared a rainbow trout dinner (one I caught right there at RS) with a southern hiker. We talked a long time about his hike and other things.

I know this is an AT board but I just wanted to let you know others will miss it too. When I was there 2 weeks ago I visited at least 8 other campgrounds and none came close to the charm, friendlyness and true camping experience of RS. Barry and Terry are the best and always kept the place very clean. I will miss Barry's apple smoked chicken!

I didnt hear the full extent of what the owners were going to do but whatever it is, it will be a loss compared to what it was.

Maybe there is still hope, I hope so.

Tim

Rain Man
10-18-2004, 17:41
I have been visiting RS 2-3 times a year for 4 years now....

I left my truck there this weekend for my section hike. Just picked it up late last night and used their bath house for a shower before the 5-hour drive back to Nashville. They said nothing at all about closing, but then, I didn't ask.

I sure hope it stays open!

Rain Man

Fisherman_Tim
10-19-2004, 07:47
This is on their web site:

"Rainbow Springs Campground will close October 31, 2004. We wish to thank the hundreds of campers and hikers who have visited us over the last thirty years"

http://www.rainbowspringscampground.com/home.html

Maybe Terry and Barry can update us

Rain Man
10-19-2004, 10:31
This is on their web site:

"Rainbow Springs Campground will close October 31, 2004. We wish to thank the hundreds of campers and hikers who have visited us over the last thirty years"

That's a brand new notice. I was on their web site on Thursday or Friday, making arrangements to leave my truck there for the weekend, and this notice was not there. It was the regular web site.

Sad. But THANKS for the info, all the same.

Rain Man

Sweetpea
10-20-2004, 09:32
The new website is saverainbowsprings.com as the business site is now inactive.
Watch for important new info on the cause to save N.C. Hiker Hostel.

Tim, thanks for the rock. New things are happening. God Bless.

Rain Man
10-20-2004, 10:13
Thanks for the link to "Save" Rainbow Springs site.

The actual Rainbow Springs site should have remained up as long as they are open, which I understand is till the 31st.

Folks are still hiking out there, needing showers, wanting to leave vehicles (even this coming weekend). I have one friend doing just that and tried to call them yesterday, but the "real" site (with contact information) is down.

They need to post contact information on the "we're closing" screen, at least.

IMHO.

I wonder if there's any way for us to alert SOBOers, who will not know. I met one this past weekend, who was hustling to make it to Rainbow Springs that night. What's gonna happen to SOBOers doing that in November, when they arrive at dark and the place is shut down? Should "we" be posting notices in shelters to alert them?

I'll be in a group doing the Wesser to Fontana section over Halloween. Should we make up notices to put in shelters and at road crossings (like the current "hurricane damage" ones)? Or will that be violating some federal statute?

Rain Man

Lone Wolf
10-20-2004, 11:05
If they get there and it's closed, they walk out to the big road and hitch into Franklin. Simple. The world won't end.

max patch
10-20-2004, 11:39
What's gonna happen to SOBOers doing that in November, when they arrive at dark and the place is shut down?

RSC closes every year for the season 10/31. The only thing different is that it may not open up again next year. I wouldn't spend one second worrying about the SOBOs.

Tater
10-20-2004, 12:25
That fact that they abruptly closed down their website early with no contact info and no mention of the new website isn't very encouraging. Actions speak louder than words.