PDA

View Full Version : money

downes911
11-10-2009, 11:29
I am allowing between $3500 and $4500 for my thru, want to be able to enjoy with out worring about $$, but what i'm not sure is how much cash should I carry on hand. I will be resuppling approx every 4 days or so. What is the base amount that hikers feel comfortable with.
And how easy is it to get more $$ via ATM's in town.

thanks

Lyle
11-10-2009, 11:36
Depends entirely where I'm hiking generally. I'm often happy with $50 - $100 cash for most trips. Along the AT, if a lot of small stores are in the plan, that may increase to $200. With the availability of ATM's, it's been my experience that cash is pretty close-by. I like to have two sources, too many times my ATM card's magnetic strip gets too abused and it won't always work. I like to have a back-up credit card that will give a cash advance through an ATM just in case. The other option is to go to a bank during regular hours, and they can give you cash even if your ATM card is damaged.

Slo-go'en
11-10-2009, 11:59
If you have a debit/credit card, you don't need a lot of cash. But you should have some cash in small denominations for incidentals and donations. I always have a 50 or 100 dollar bill tucked away someplace for emegencies, has saved me more than once.

garlic08
11-10-2009, 12:11
I carried about $200 cash, and had to get more from an ATM only once, so I didn't use much cash. (My whole hike cost $3500 including gear and travel.) I noticed that I had to use more cash in NJ and NY, where, for some reason, quite a few small businesses did not accept credit cards. Once I got a great deal on a motel room, $50 cash for a $100 room in MA, because a lightning storm took out their credit card machine and I had cash handy.

Disney
11-10-2009, 12:39
I kept 100 dollars hidden in my pack for emergencies, which I never used. I kept another with easy access. I never had a problem getting to an ATM and I spent little more than 100 dollars a week in town, and that was living in luxury.

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 13:01
I kept 100 dollars hidden in my pack for emergencies, which I never used. I kept another with easy access. I never had a problem getting to an ATM and I spent little more than 100 dollars a week in town, and that was living in luxury.

I do the same thing Disney- I have $150 buried deep within the dark recesses of my pack, along with my driver's license, debit card and medical insurance card. In the front of my pack, I have a ziploc with a photocopy of my passeport, and $30. I figured that way, the $30 is handy, but if someone (I'll admit- I'm a tiny bit paranoid) anywhere tries to take my money, they'll get the $30 and adding a photocopy of my ID makes it seem less like a decoy, and they'll leave me alone)

BigFoot2002
11-10-2009, 17:16
I use a debit card for most meal and restaurant charges, and get cash back with purchase from the post office or grocer. 4000 AT miles so far and not one ATM fee.

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2009, 17:24
I agree with everything written above. There are indeed more ATM machines out there than there used to be and just about everywhere takes credit or debit cards.

But there are still places that don't. Or you may get to a place (say Hot Springs?) where there's only one ATM machine, and maybe for some reason it's down when you get there, or has run out of money or whatever. Or maybe, for some unforseen reason, your bank card gets eaten by a machine and it's gonna take you a few days to straighten things out. Or maybe you need a shuttle ride or other service unexpectedly and you discover it's a cash only service.

For of all these reasons and more, I agree with the folks above who said it's always wise to rathole a couple hundred bucks somewhere deep in your pack or wallet. We are not yet a cashless society.

When you need the greenbacks, and one day you will, you'll be REALLY happy they're there.

The Solemates
11-10-2009, 18:34
wow. i dont think we ever carried more than $20 on hand between the two of us for our thru. we did everything with a debit card.

Appalachian Tater
11-10-2009, 18:43
$200 is a good amount of cash to carry and would get you through a bad situation like a town stop where cash isn't available and the place you're staying doesn't take credit cards.

Besides spending cash directly, there are other situations where you might need it, say if you're splitting a hotel room and one person charges it and the others give him or her cash for share.

You could actually get cash in that scenario and you can also get cash back on a credit card purchase at many of the post offices and the chain grocery and drug stores in towns. You might never need an ATM.

If you carry a debit card instead of a credit card, you do not have the same degree of protection as you do with a credit card if you lose it or it is stolen. With a credit card, you are only liable for $50 by federal law and most banks waive that. If you lost your debit card in town and didn't realize it for a couple of days while hiking, you might lose not only your entire account balance but also any overdraft line of credit attached to the account. So to some degree, carrying a debit card is riskier even than carrying cash. This is a problem whether or not you're hiking, something to think about.

Also you might be better off stashing your cash and credit cards securely on your person rather than in your pack, say in a zippered pocket. You won't have your pack under your control at all times.

Peaks
11-10-2009, 18:59
Times changing? I carried some travelers checks. And actually used a couple when the ATM's in Rangely (all 2 of them) were down.

George
11-10-2009, 19:38
at each trip to the ATM I would get 300 - 400, paying the 3-6$ fee would make me sick if it ended up being 10%

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2009, 19:55
Not many people carry Traveler's Checks these days, tho I certainly did in years past.

Note for those rellying on bank cards and ATM's: In many cases, especially at major supermarkets, you have the option of getting "cash back" after a purchase, and in doing so, in many cases you can save money spent on bank/ATM fees. Anytime you have the option of getting "cash back", you might want to do so, depending on your needs at the time.

DapperD
11-10-2009, 22:06
I am allowing between $3500 and $4500 for my thru, want to be able to enjoy with out worring about $$, but what i'm not sure is how much cash should I carry on hand. I will be resuppling approx every 4 days or so. What is the base amount that hikers feel comfortable with.
And how easy is it to get more $$ via ATM's in town.

thanksI was interested in this as well. I know in years past traveler's checks were recommended. Then I read on a post that a hiker had taken them and they became wet, and the ink smeared rendering them unusable. I think the best is to just take a debit/credit card and if possible a second credit card if problems with the first arise. Take some cash out from time to time, take what you feel comfortable with, but attempt to have some with you at all times. Also (and I don't know how good these are or if other's have used them), pay-as-you-go Travel Visa cards can be had for a small fee(can buy from AAA and other locations), where you basically load the card with a certain amount, and then they can be used as a Debit/Credit card without the worry of them being attached to your actual bank or credit card accounts. I think they can be replaced if lost or stolen also. The downside to these though may be hidden charges and fees.

Slo-go'en
11-10-2009, 22:49
Not many people carry Traveler's Checks these days, tho I certainly did in years past.

Anytime you have the option of getting "cash back", you might want to do so, depending on your needs at the time.

Years ago, everyone knew what a Traveler's check was and took it no problem. Last time I tried to use them, you'd think I was trying to pay in Yen!

Most places will give you cash back without a fee, but some places do charge a fee and it can be a heffty one, so it can pay to ask first.

And I think a debit card is safer than a credit card, no one can use it without knowing your PIN number.

Diamond Diggs
11-11-2009, 17:20
And I think a debit card is safer than a credit card, no one can use it without knowing your PIN number.

a debit card can be used the same as a credit card wo the use of a pin number.

Not So Fast!
11-11-2009, 17:45
I found (early on) that it was handy for me to have some ones and fives on hand, when all I'd get from the ATM would be twenties.

The small bills helped when I wanted to offer a little something extra....gas money to that good soul who picked me up hitching to Hiawassee in the rain, an extra couple bucks to the harried waitress who refilled countless iced teas (and didn't make out so great on the "group" tip), and something to offer for the collection plate at a church sponsored trail magic.

white_russian
11-11-2009, 18:48

NO, NO, NO. If you have trouble with unauthorized charges on a debit card you are stuck high and dry with no money in your account. This means you have no money until the bank figures it out. No money for food, lodging, transportation.

If you have unauthorized charges on a credit card you just call up your credit card company and dispute the charges. Your money stays in your bank account and once the credit card company figures things out only then does any money leave your hands once you pay the correct bill.

Credit cards give you protection under the Fair Credit Billing Act. Debit cards don't offer that protection. A secret 4 digit number is no where near as good as a federal law.

Blissful
11-11-2009, 21:20
I carried cash, debit and credit card. Be sure you have an extra debit card at home as inevitably it will stop working on the trail (so someone can mail it to you if that happens).

sbhikes
11-12-2009, 00:09
Since I didn't have a debit card and tried to avoid using my credit card, I carried a huge wad of cash. It cost me $2 or $3 to withdraw from the ATM, so that's why I carried a huge wad.

stranger
11-12-2009, 05:55
I too agree with burying a hundred or so bucks in the bottom of your pack to only be used in emergencies. Last year in Hot Springs, the ATM was out of money at Bluff Mountain, and there was a festival in town so when it was full it literally ran out again in less than an hour.

Luckily, I recieved some Aqua Mira in a maildrop there and my father put in 60 bucks with it! I had about 40 already so that got me to Erwin!

Crunchers
11-12-2009, 13:14
If you are worried about a debt/credit card being lost or stolen, you can write on the back in with a permanent marker "ASK 4 ID" but that won't stop online purchases, but then you could also scratch out the 3 digit security number.