PDA

View Full Version : "Training" for my 2010 thru??? Any advice or critique?

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 12:51
I've decided to "train" for my thru. I figure, it might make those first three weeks slightly more pleasant if I was a bit in shape.

So this morning, I hit the gym. Everyone there (at the hour of 7:45, three people, the janitor and the front desk person) seemed to think it was really weird when I started on the elliptical/cross trainer, whatever they call it machine in my hiking boots and loaded pack. I know, I know. The best training is just to hike. But, I have limited time, and it is so much easier sometimes to get on the machine and get back off.

So I'm startng out a bit slow- just on a "level" setting, did about two or three miles- I'll gradually increase slope and distance.

Does this sound like a good approach? Or is there something better I could be doing?

Is anyone else "training" for their upcoming thru?

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 12:53
And my pack wasn't fully loaded. I kind of didn't want to train for the thru- just wanted to start and see how well I do, and honestly, I've always done well enough on other hikes I've done, but I think it might actually make a bit of a difference... Any thoughts?

Pacific Tortuga
11-10-2009, 12:59
Any and all training will not hurt. IMO the best thing you can do is listen to your body and feet while on the Trail. Carry a good supply of Advil.
At 19 you will be able to over come many more pain's than most, good luck and have fun.

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 13:03
Thanks Tortuga- I plan to have a hearty supply of advil/ ibuprofin (shoprite brand, perhaps).

take-a-knee
11-10-2009, 13:04
Ditch the pack and find one of these:

http://www.globalfitness.com/detail_elliptical_training_machine.asp?id=48

Get on it 2-3 times each week, just hike/walk with your pack for an "easy day" workout.

The most efficient(especially time-wise), effective conditioning program in the world is www.crossfit.com This will take a while to get up to speed on, there is quite a learning curve, and you can't do a lot of it while you are on your thru, though there are lots of bodyweight exercises.

drastic_quench
11-10-2009, 13:06
Aleve works much better for me. Good luck on the training. Sounds good.

Tenderheart
11-10-2009, 13:06
IMO, if you don't live in the mountains where you can actually hike to train, then running is the best preparation. Keep in mind that running is a very high-injury activity, so don't let your training cause you to miss your event. Easy does it at first.

litefoot 2000

take-a-knee
11-10-2009, 13:10
Any and all training will not hurt. IMO the best thing you can do is listen to your body and feet while on the Trail. Carry a good supply of Advil.
At 19 you will be able to over come many more pain's than most, good luck and have fun.

If you are "eating" NSAIDs (advil, motrin, etc) days on end, you are suffering from chronic inflammation. If you are suffering from chronic inflammation, your sugar-laden diet is likely the culprit. Days 2 thru 5 give me moderately sore legs as I start hiking in the morning, after that, I'm typically pain free, not that the soreness is that bad. I seldom need to take anything. I believe this is because I eat a diet that is based on Zone Diet parameters (40/30/30) carbs,protein and fat.

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 13:13
I'm hoping not to take too much advil or whatnot, because in my opinion, the more you take, the less it they works. (I'm not really sure about that though)

lazy river road
11-10-2009, 13:49
The stair master that takes a knee posted is a great machine...the machine that I am using to train for my E2E of the long trail is called the versa climb...it is a vertical climbing machine. If you can find a gym that has this I would highly suggest start using this machine. Also instead of using your pack...you might want to buy a weight vest. Just get your body used to carrying xtra weight

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 13:51
I think I'll stick to the pack- it is, after all, what I'll be carrying for six months. Might as well get used to that instead of a weight vest. (I might drop the pack until about a month before I leave though- it is a bit uneccesary for now)

garlic08
11-10-2009, 13:55
I'm hoping not to take too much advil or whatnot, because in my opinion, the more you take, the less it they works. (I'm not really sure about that though)

That's good. Taking pain relief meds is like removing a smoke detector during a fire. Your body's trying to tell you something with the pain--it's best to listen, rest, then try something that doesn't hurt. Not only that, the meds are pretty toxic.

Good advice above about not injuring yourself while training, and running is a good way to get hurt. The elliptical trainer is low impact, at least. So is just plain walking, but yes, it takes a lot of time. Nobody said an AT thru hike is easy or pain-free.

Concentrate on your body weight--hopefully you're not obese. Work on aerobic capacity too, for the climbs, and thigh and calf strength with squats. Eat well.

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 14:07
I'll admit, I'm a bit overweight. But not "obese". And hopefully by the end of the trail, I be a lean, mean hiking machine! (I'll have to remember not to be an eating machine once I stop hiking)

Pacific Tortuga
11-10-2009, 14:14
If you are "eating" NSAIDs (advil, motrin, etc) days on end, you are suffering from chronic inflammation. If you are suffering from chronic inflammation, your sugar-laden diet is likely the culprit. Days 2 thru 5 give me moderately sore legs as I start hiking in the morning, after that, I'm typically pain free, not that the soreness is that bad. I seldom need to take anything. I believe this is because I eat a diet that is based on Zone Diet parameters (40/30/30) carbs,protein and fat.

Advil's never hurt me but knowing it's contraindication's could be helpful.

Oklahoma
11-10-2009, 14:16
I was in the same boat you are in preparing for my thru. there are not alot of good trails around me and time was an issue. What i did was get on the treadmill for 30 minuites starting at an incline of 0.0 i increased the incline by 1 every minuite up to 15 and decreased it by 1 every minuite back down to zero which equals 30 min, and repeat. It will be easy for the first 5 or 10 minuites and gets harder as you get closer to 15, if it becomes too easy to complete a circuit increase the speed. This wont do anything for your feet so get some trail miles on the weekends or whenever you have the time.

Jester2000
11-10-2009, 14:28
I train for long distance trails by getting up from the couch to change channels instead of using the remote.

I recommend not taking any pain medication at all. You can't listen to your body if the drugs are yelling that everything is fine.

le loupe
11-10-2009, 14:37
I'm a section hiker and I used a treadmill also (like Oklahoma).

I went right for the gusto and started on the 12% grade. Speed was generally 3 or 3 1/2 MPH. I started out with a mile and gradually increased the distance as I got more comfortable. From time to time i would even run the final 1/10 mile.

Pacific Tortuga
11-10-2009, 14:37
I train for long distance trails by getting up from the couch to change channels instead of using the remote.

I recommend not taking any pain medication at all. You can't listen to your body if the drugs are yelling that everything is fine.

With out pain med's how can you look in the mirror :)

don't forget your treks to the fridge.

Jester2000
11-10-2009, 14:40
With out pain med's how can you look in the mirror :)

don't forget your treks to the fridge.

I avoid mirrors entirely, not just because of the pain but also the whole soul-stealing aspect.

You're right, though. I forgot about all of the walks to the fridge, which, strangely, is on the second floor of my place and therefore gives me some stair climbing exercise.

Connie
11-10-2009, 15:34
I practiced balance by walking the sidewalk curb, first without a pack, and then, with a pack.

I was told not to do deep knee bends. The explanation was shallow knee-bends are better for walking with a pack in the mountains.

Spokes
11-10-2009, 15:43
Don't stress out over "getting in shape". Believe me, you'll get in shape plenty fast enough on your hike. Start slow, those "legs" will come before Damascus.

The best advice I got was from an old running buddy who said- "Don't over analyze it, it's just putting one foot in front of the other". Yep, sure was!

Just do me a favor. Two weeks before your hike soak your feet for 30 minutes twice a day in a strong tea solution. The tannins will toughen up your feet and help prevent blisters. No, it's not an old wives tale.......

Good luck.

Good luck.

Speer Carrier
11-10-2009, 16:03

That may fly in the face of science, but I do agree that one can overdo the meds.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2009, 16:04
no "training" is needed for backpacking. if you're fat, lose weight. it's walking is all

take-a-knee
11-10-2009, 16:06
I practiced balance by walking the sidewalk curb, first without a pack, and then, with a pack.

I was told not to do deep knee bends. The explanation was shallow knee-bends are better for walking with a pack in the mountains.

You were told wrong. You need to squat as deep as your anatomy will allow, IE ass-to-grass. The down-squat is defined as hip-flexion, rising from the bottom of the squat is defined as hip-extension. Inability to perform the latter is, along with dementia, what keeps nursing homes full.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/06/knee-position-and-muscle-mass.tpl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdSZmWNYQI

I also strongly reccomend the deadlift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBI9qxibTc&feature=related

ARambler
11-10-2009, 16:08
no "training" is needed for backpacking. if you're fat, lose weight. it's walking is all

So I guess the training that Lone Wolf and I do is just to keep up with those darn bananas... :banana

Rambler

sherrill
11-10-2009, 17:12
My two cents is:

While I agree that you don't need to "train" to go backpacking, it can't hurt to be in the best possible shape when you start. Low impact aerobic activity (elliptical, biking, swimming) is ideal but that's my own opinion. Your legs are going to get enough pounding up and down the hills with a pack.

Last year I lost 30 pounds getting ready to hike the Inca Trail. I know that made a difference in my hike, and that was only with a daypack. When I strapped on a full pack later last summer to do an AT section, I felt 100 percent better than my section hike the year before when I was heavier.

Cedar Tree
11-10-2009, 17:23
I don't feel like training does any good. I trained like crazy for my first thru and I was still sore and tired during my first couple of months. As I look back it seems like pre-hike training was a lot of wasted effort. I believe in "the trail will get you in shape". Just don't push yourself too hard in the beginning so that you will continue to enjoy hiking. I am still (hopefully) hiking next year and I am not doing anything physically to prepare.
CT

jersey joe
11-10-2009, 17:28
I would say to keep hitting the gym and get into overall good shape. Wearing your pack doesn't hurt, but I don't think it is necessary. Just keep getting to the gym and working out and you will hit the trail running.

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2009, 17:34
I think the "training" idea is an excellent one, and forget the folks who tell you to ditch the backpack.

You're gonna be wearing your backpack for around six months. The more your body is accustomed to it, the better off you'll be.

So I absolutley WOULD wear a pack around town on occasion, and make sure and put some weight in it, too.

And depending on where you're gonna be for the next few months, and how much time you have, get out in the woods when you can too, meaning don't just walk around town. Walk around in the woods, do some ups and downs.
Do an overnight if you can.

The single best way to prepare your mind and body to spend a lotta time in the woods and mountains is to spend as much time as possible in the woods and mountains.

Hobbot
11-10-2009, 17:38
Prior to my E2E Long Trail hike last fall, I had planned on training. Well, work got insanely busy leading up to my trip and I never found enough time to get back in shape. I ended up doing a long day on the 3rd day, was sore on the 4th day (but that was a short day anyway), and was set after that. So, I am not going to even have the delusion of doing any training prior to my thru (other than snowboarding and climbing which I would do anyway!). Plus, a couple extra pounds just means less food weight on my back for the first week or two :)

Hobbot
11-10-2009, 17:44
Prior to my E2E Long Trail hike last fall, I had planned on training. Well, work got insanely busy leading up to my trip and I never found enough time to get back in shape. I ended up doing a long day on the 3rd day, was sore on the 4th day (but that was a short day anyway), and was set after that. So, I am not going to even have the delusion of doing any training prior to my thru (other than snowboarding and climbing which I would do anyway!). Plus, a couple extra pounds just means less food weight on my back for the first week or two :)

Well, let me correct this and say that I won't be training for the purpose of getting back in shape, but I think training for the purpose of verifying fit of gear is quite important (particularly pack and footwear).

Mags
11-10-2009, 17:56
As usual, there is a chorus "you don't need to train...it is OK to start out-of-shape".

As I like to say, never mind "training"...just think of it as fitness.

What reason is there is be out-of-shape?

You don't have to be ready to bike the "Tour De France"..but some basic level of strength, cardiovascular and endurance fitness is good if you are getting ready for a thru-hike...or want to be healthy in general.

Rather than watch another 1 hr of crappy TV, do something fun that just happens to be exercise. Your hike will be easier mentally and physically when you start off your hike. Approx 80% do not complete a thru-hike...why make it more difficult?

If my buddy who works from 6am - 2pm, has two kids and watches them while his wife is at work nights can exercise 1 hr or so a day, then you all can too. :) Again, what reason is there to NOT have some basic level of fitness? (Unless you really want to watch that 1 hr of crappy TV 3-4 days a week ;) ).

As you can tell, this is a hobby horse of mine, read this link for even longer rants :)
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2009-October/030003.html
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2009-October/030029.html

Excellent advice from people who say to exercise.

This may help, too:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

Disney
11-10-2009, 18:09
I would throw in a stair master instead of just an elliptical. You aren't going to be walking on perfectly graded trail after all.

That and calf exercises. Heels over the edge of the curb or block or something, lower and lift with your calves only. Remember, most people work their quads and ignore their calf muscles.

.01 - not even .02

BlazeWalker
11-10-2009, 18:38
The body can take just about anything...it's the mind that needs training.

Mags
11-10-2009, 19:09

...and the mind is in a much better place when you aren't aching, huffing, puffing, sore, tired and miserable.

The mind and body are not separate. They are two parts of one complex machine that works best when both are in harmony. And you can train both at once to help obtain this harmony.

Connie
11-10-2009, 19:10
I did those things, I was told, adding only a run-walk twice around the track (1/4 track, change) and did the "dog-trot" on the cross-country course at the college and I didn't need to get my "second wind" for Mountain Rescue.

Now that I am old, I do "yoga-stretch" twice a week at the senior center: core strengthening stretch that improves spine flexibility and enhanced breathing efficiency.

I am still doing it all: kayaking, and hiking in the big mountains.

I still rescue people.

Feral Bill
11-10-2009, 19:17

Not everyone is 26. Training would do wonders for me at 56. Not likely to happen , though.

Hobbot
11-10-2009, 19:26
...and the mind is in a much better place when you aren't aching, huffing, puffing, sore, tired and miserable.

The mind and body are not separate. They are two parts of one complex machine that works best when both are in harmony. And you can train both at once to help obtain this harmony.

I would add your gear into that complex machine...I was at my peak fitness level when I would play soccer 6 days a week in highschool. I could literally run non-stop until I needed to eat, sleep, or go to the bathroom. Mentally I was prepared for the outdoors and wanted to be out there. However, this was not enough to keep my from being sore and tired when on the trail. Looking back, my external frame pack simply didn't fit and was not balanced properly. I switched packs, and even though I was no longer at the same level of fitness, I could hike much more comfortably.

Not everyone is 26. Training would do wonders for me at 56. Not likely to happen , though.

Quite true :) I am not suggesting this for anyone else, but this worked for me. (although, my dad at age 57 did manage to stay with me for the entire trail ;) )

George
11-10-2009, 19:44
I seldom "train" for a hike, hiking is my training, it takes about 2 weeks to get up to speed

brian039
11-10-2009, 19:51
I think that the best thing you can use is a step-mill. It's an escalator-like machine but they're pretty rare in gyms. The next best thing would be to walk on a treadmill with a lot of incline. Do 2-3 of sets of lunges 2-3 days per week too so you can build lower-body strength. Other than that, just losing weight in general will be extremely beneficial.

BlazeWalker
11-10-2009, 20:50
Mags,

That is a good point. I guess I always think too much into the mind over matter thing!

garlic08
11-10-2009, 20:52
Ditto what Mags and others said about the value of fitness before starting. On my AT hike (which was fun from the start for me because I spent the winter on backcountry skis in the Colorado Rockies), I saw lots of miserable folks with 10 to 20 extra pounds of body fat struggling along for six or eight weeks before getting somewhat fit, often quitting out of disappointment that it just wasn't fun. An AT hike is a major investment in time, money, and lifestyle (did you leave a job, terminate a lease?). So why not prepare for it? So many hikers agonize over ounces in the pack, but ignore the pounds on their bellies or asses.

On the other hand, the AT has such a long hiking season, if you have the time and money you can hike yourself into shape, as many have suggested above. On the other long trails in the US, you don't really have that option. Serious starters on those trails are generally fairly fit.

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 21:37
I think the "training" idea is an excellent one, and forget the folks who tell you to ditch the backpack.

You're gonna be wearing your backpack for around six months. The more your body is accustomed to it, the better off you'll be.

So I absolutley WOULD wear a pack around town on occasion, and make sure and put some weight in it, too.

And depending on where you're gonna be for the next few months, and how much time you have, get out in the woods when you can too, meaning don't just walk around town. Walk around in the woods, do some ups and downs.
Do an overnight if you can.

The single best way to prepare your mind and body to spend a lotta time in the woods and mountains is to spend as much time as possible in the woods and mountains.

See, this is what I was hoping to hear. (Well, okay, there was a little tiny person inside crossing her fingers and praying everyone would tell me not to excise, it'll all be dandy- which, I did hear.) But this seems more realistic.

As to carrying the pack, my thoughts exactly Jack- I haven't been on a week plus backpacking trip for a while (with the exception of the one I did in July), so though two day hikes are good, they don't get you used to your gear or feet.

And I do plan to spend as much time in the woods as I can.

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 21:42
Ditto what Mags and others said about the value of fitness before starting. On my AT hike (which was fun from the start for me because I spent the winter on backcountry skis in the Colorado Rockies), I saw lots of miserable folks with 10 to 20 extra pounds of body fat struggling along for six or eight weeks before getting somewhat fit, often quitting out of disappointment that it just wasn't fun. An AT hike is a major investment in time, money, and lifestyle (did you leave a job, terminate a lease?). So why not prepare for it? So many hikers agonize over ounces in the pack, but ignore the pounds on their bellies or asses.

On the other hand, the AT has such a long hiking season, if you have the time and money you can hike yourself into shape, as many have suggested above. On the other long trails in the US, you don't really have that option. Serious starters on those trails are generally fairly fit.

Exactly- I know the first weeks will be hard no matter what, but why not make it a little bit easier with a little prep? And I thought that exact same thing too- people tear out pages of guidebooks and break handles off of toothbrushes (neither of which I'd do, but still) skimp on clothing (I've even seen some idiot bring only half the water he needed to "save the weight"), and save half a pound, when they've got an extra 15 pounds tagging along that'll really weight them down until they lose it.

That's it- no one can convince me otherwise. I'm continuing the excerise and taking my pack along for the ride.

DapperD
11-10-2009, 21:43
I've decided to "train" for my thru. I figure, it might make those first three weeks slightly more pleasant if I was a bit in shape.

So this morning, I hit the gym. Everyone there (at the hour of 7:45, three people, the janitor and the front desk person) seemed to think it was really weird when I started on the elliptical/cross trainer, whatever they call it machine in my hiking boots and loaded pack. I know, I know. The best training is just to hike. But, I have limited time, and it is so much easier sometimes to get on the machine and get back off.

So I'm startng out a bit slow- just on a "level" setting, did about two or three miles- I'll gradually increase slope and distance.

Does this sound like a good approach? Or is there something better I could be doing?

Is anyone else "training" for their upcoming thru?Obviously just about any type of physical activity will be better than nothing, however actually getting out there with close to the actual weight you will be carrying, and climbing steep, rugged terrain, etc.. is really the best approach, in my opinion. If you are a runner, you train by running. Weightlifting, with weights. A backpacker training for a long distance hike , well , get out long distance hiking with loaded pack. They say the start down in Georgia is tough. Your body will be being pushed, day after day. You will be camping out at night most likely, it may be cold, wet. You will be tired, hungry. If you begin the hike in shape, it is going to be tough. Arrive out of shape, it will be very tough, probably to the point where quitting may become a real possibility do to ones body and motivation breaking down easier(if one is seriously overweight, for example). They say the first month or two is where being in shape will ease ones discomfort's the most, why not arrive in shape and used to actually backpacking with the pack and weight (or at least close to that) that one plans to carry?

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 21:54
Yeah I know about getting out there, and I'm going hiking this weekend, but I find it very difficult to get much time off of work.

I'm lucky, in that I've done a three week long hike before (and several others, longer than a week)- most people don't know how hard those first few weeks can be. I, however, have only ever really hiked during those first hard weeks! Really looking forward to doing the whole thing.

DapperD
11-10-2009, 22:22
Yeah I know about getting out there, and I'm going hiking this weekend, but I find it very difficult to get much time off of work.

I'm lucky, in that I've done a three week long hike before (and several others, longer than a week)- most people don't know how hard those first few weeks can be. I, however, have only ever really hiked during those first hard weeks! Really looking forward to doing the whole thing.If you can't completely dedicate all your time to training, and who can, then make it a habit to try to eat good, healthful foods, hike when you can, but most importantly take it easy when you first start out to avoid injury and burnout (take more zero days in town eating good, etc...). As long as you begin slowly enough and don't overdo, you will most likey do fine.

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 22:33
Definitely going to start out slow- first of all, I've got time! I've got nowhere to be. And second, I've made the unfortunate mistake of trying to beast out high miles on the first couple days, and it left me in pain (and competeing with thru hikers for who had the biggest blister- I won).

take-a-knee
11-10-2009, 23:54
Dapper, you don't have to dedicate "all of your time" to training, if you know what you are doing (I don't, that's why I seek professional proven advice, IE www.crossfit.com) Some Crossfit workouts are over in five minutes, most are twenty minutes or so. Professional athletes spend most of their time on skills, not conditioning. Conditioning done right is brief and intense for the most part.

Jack, I did say ditch the pack (in the gym) I didn't say don't hike with the pack. Getting on an elliptical or stepmill with your pack, your first week in the gym, is not a good idea. One of crossfit's radical principals is that cancer survivors, grandmothers, and NFL linemen all do the same basic workout in principal, the movements are scaled according to your ability. IE pushups against a wall (standing) versus pushups with your feet elevated.

take-a-knee
11-11-2009, 00:01
I don't feel like training does any good. I trained like crazy for my first thru and I was still sore and tired during my first couple of months. As I look back it seems like pre-hike training was a lot of wasted effort. I believe in "the trail will get you in shape". Just don't push yourself too hard in the beginning so that you will continue to enjoy hiking. I am still (hopefully) hiking next year and I am not doing anything physically to prepare.
CT

I'd really like to know what your idea of "training like crazy" constitutes.

Tinker
11-11-2009, 00:04
You live in NJ. You can't be too far from the trail. Put on an overloaded pack and go for a few section hikes near where you live. That should prepare you as well as anything you can do in a gym.

Cedar Tree
11-11-2009, 08:10
I'd really like to know what your idea of "training like crazy" constitutes.

I lived on the top floor of a 3 story apartment building. I put three 25# barbell weights and 4 gallons jugs of water in my pack plus a sleeping bag or two to keep it stable. I walked up one side of the stairs, across the walk way and down the other set of stairs making a small loop. I did it almost everyday for minimum of an hour, sometimes much more, for about 3 months prior to my hike. I only taught night classes at the time, so I had plenty of time during the day. I also ran 2 or 3 times per week, but not far. Maybe 10 or 12 miles per week. My neighbors thought I was "crazy".
CT

Farr Away
11-11-2009, 09:19
I lived on the top floor of a 3 story apartment building. I put three 25# barbell weights and 4 gallons jugs of water in my pack plus a sleeping bag or two to keep it stable. I walked up one side of the stairs, across the walk way and down the other set of stairs making a small loop. I did it almost everyday for minimum of an hour, sometimes much more, for about 3 months prior to my hike. I only taught night classes at the time, so I had plenty of time during the day. I also ran 2 or 3 times per week, but not far. Maybe 10 or 12 miles per week. My neighbors thought I was "crazy".
CT

OMG!! That's well over 100 lbs!!! (A pint of water is roughly 1 lb.)
:eek:

Yup, I'd say that constitutes training like crazy.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 11:23
You live in NJ. You can't be too far from the trail. Put on an overloaded pack and go for a few section hikes near where you live. That should prepare you as well as anything you can do in a gym.

I know I live kind of near the trail and hiking is the best prep, as I said before, I'm doing one hike this weekend in DWG, but I can't get much time of to go off and go hike, as I work full time, so the best option for me, is the gym.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 11:25
And DWG is over an hour away from me, and it is the nearest trail. (Though there is a nice canal trail nearer to me, it is so flat and clean that it is basically paved, and it is almost always a bit crowded- I do intend to give it a try when I can though.)

Blissful
11-11-2009, 11:30
Every little bit helps, but there is no training like being out there hiking day afer day, week after week, on a thru. You'll be in condition soon enough.

drastic_quench
11-11-2009, 11:47
Bottom line. The more physically fit you are when you hit the trail, the less mental and physical stress you'll have to endure on the trail -- improving your odds at being the one hiker out of four who doesn't quit + enjoyment level.

It's an odds game. Fat slobs can and do make it, but obviously the odds are stacked against them, and they have less fun initially. Un-toughened tendons, bones, muscle, and feet are more likely to crap out on you - to say nothing of enduring the extra hurt.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 11:49
My thoughts exactly, bullseye. So y'all can stop telling me ta stop excersing! (By y'all, I meant a couple of you...)

Nicksaari
11-11-2009, 12:13
Running up and down 75ft sand dunes in Va Beach keeps me fine tuned as well as swimming at the rec center. and it really helps to be and continue to be a surfer paddling out in the occasional large great swell here in Va and the Outter Banks.
Shelter Leopard, you live close to the ocean up there in Jersey, dont you? running on sand is a great workout.:banana

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 12:23
I live three hours from the nearest beach! I've never even been to the Jersey Shore! :rolleyes: I know, it's terrible. But it is really far away from me- I was planning to join the Y so I could swim (and get a whole body work out) and use the sauna for the whole month before I leave for my hike (the gym I use now doesn't have a sauna of an indoor pool). Of course, I'll still keep hiking and using the elliptical machine of whatever it's called. (I think I use a cross trainer- same thing? I dunno)

Really, joining the Y is just an excuse to use their sauna!!! :banana

Lone Wolf
11-11-2009, 12:42
Bottom line. The more physically fit you are when you hit the trail, the less mental and physical stress you'll have to endure on the trail --

kinda like the more you sweat in training the less you bleed in war

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 12:44
Yep- I'd rather sweat now than bleed later.

Jester2000
11-11-2009, 13:15
If nothing else, a bit of training and being a bit more fit will give you a bit more confidence when you hit the trail.

take-a-knee
11-11-2009, 14:03
CT

Doing the same workout repeatedly, especially everyday, will almost certainly inflict overuse injuries of some sort. You most likely took these to the trailhead with you. Climbing stairs with a weighted rucksack is excellent training, one or two days a week, combined with runs of varying distance and intensity, combine that with bodyweight and barbell circuits that leave you breathless.

Most people don't realize that we do not get stronger, faster, or more fit from training. We achieve those goals by RECOVERING from training. If we do something to sabotage that recovery, all our efforts are for naught. Most fail at a physical goal and attribute it to lack of proper genetics (I just could never do that) when the culprit is overwhelmingly crappy programing and poor diet and rest.

emerald
11-11-2009, 14:17
Is Milford completely flat? No steps or public buildings with steps?

emerald
11-11-2009, 14:28
Yep- I'd rather sweat now than bleed later.

The best way to avoid bloodshed is to watch where you're going.:-?:)

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 14:36
Actually, we do have a severe deficit of buildings with steps- we're a small town with small buildings (though maybe the church...). Milford is pretty flat itself, but there are hills leading into it, so I may opt to spend time at the gym and just hike on the roads when I can (because that way I wouldn't have to make a huge deal out of it and drive far away and all).

Jim Adams
11-12-2009, 11:26
Just go walk with your pack on. In 1990 Mule trained on a stair climber with his pack until he could do 5 hours nonstop. He became very depressed initially in his hike because everyone else was still out climbing him on the trail.
Want to get in shape for hiking?...go hiking.

geek

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 11:28
Thanks all for your advice- I think I'll alternate. (Gym days with just walking everywhere with my pack; and I'll try to actually get onto some real trails as often as I can)

Blissful
11-12-2009, 11:41
My thoughts exactly, bullseye. So y'all can stop telling me ta stop excersing! (By y'all, I meant a couple of you...)

Exercising is fine (for mental aspects if anything) but there is no duplicating to the muscle torture on your body hiking long distance in monstrous elevations day in and day out (and usually with not that great nutrition either nor the adequate rest to recover minute tears in muscles that happens every day). I ran, walked, hiked, and everything beforehand but I was still in sorry shape for an actual "thru" hike. You cannot duplicate it by exercising or walking a pack around the block (I've been there). You still have to get in shape while you are out there. I've been there (and yeah I was still overweight by 20 lbs and made it. My son was very overweight, a couch potatoe - he didn't do ANY exercise at all - and he made it). I think people vastly understimate the mental aspects of this journey. You can be slim and trim and marathon runner with the right pack and not make it.

Blissful
11-12-2009, 11:44
Want to get in shape for hiking?...go hiking.

geek

Precisely...

Don't get hung up about it. Just go and do it...when its your time

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 11:46
I'm not trying to kid myself blissful- I know I can't duplicate hiking for weeks in the mountains, but I'm doing what I can. I figure the more I do know, the easier (though only slightly, I'm sure) it will be then. And besides, it's good for me. And I figure, the more excersise I get now while I do have very good nutrition, the better.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2009, 11:46
I think people vastly understimate the mental aspects of this journey. You can be slim and trim and marathon runner with the right pack and not make it.

that's pretty much it in a nutshell. i've run ultramarathons where runners were 10 times more "trained" than i was but i beat them cuz i was mentally tougher. lotsa hikers and runners are pain weenies and quit over minor ailments

Blissful
11-12-2009, 11:48
The best way to avoid bloodshed is to watch where you're going.:-?:)

Ha - even that doesn't work. ;)

You WILL FALL on the trail.... (like that sign I see at amusement parks that say - you will get wet) Plenty of blood and sweat to go around. Whether you get injured or not - 99% do in one form or another (from blisters to sprains to even stress fractures).

Blissful
11-12-2009, 11:54
I'm not trying to kid myself blissful- I know I can't duplicate hiking for weeks in the mountains, but I'm doing what I can. I figure the more I do know, the easier (though only slightly, I'm sure) it will be then. And besides, it's good for me. And I figure, the more excersise I get now while I do have very good nutrition, the better.

Well what you got going for you is youth on your side. You've got muscles and ligaments that are young and raring to be used (not like us over forty). That's why mental is really the key here. You're gonna face all kinds of situations that you are NOT going to like at all - and you will wonder WHY am I out here doing this? This is crazy. And that's where you make or break it. (Again from someone who wanted to quit different times, and even when I got to Maine - yeah, Maine, of all places, 2 weeks shy of the end. It gets tough. So glad for my hubby who kept me going)

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 12:05
Thanks blissful- I'm sure it will be hard sometimes, and we'll see how it goes. In the meantime, I'm going to stick to my "training" plan.

Doctari
11-12-2009, 12:08
I have done 6 section hikes at various levels of fitness, from no exercise to Moderate exercise, last trip I was fittest, & enjoyed the hike more than any other. I was NOT in any way hiker fit, I had only added a 2 mile walk 3 times a week 3 weeks pre-hike, but I could do more, got trail fit quicker, had an all over better time. This was also a good time to sort out my hiking gear (shoes, kilt, pack, etc) an opportunity which I arrogantly did not use, "Oh, I'll be fine", yea, I paid for that mistake with the worst blisters AND foot pain I have ever had. New, shoes, tested for about 2 miles,,, Yep, I knew better, nope, moleskin didn't help.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 12:11
Yep doctari- I'm using my excersising to break in my new boots. I've had too many blisters already (from my old boots, which stretched out and hated me), and they're too painful and annoying to be allowed to accompany me on my hike. (Although, I've figured out by now how to succesfully get rid of blisters.)

Spokes
11-12-2009, 12:16
....... "Oh, I'll be fine", yea, I paid for that mistake with the worst blisters AND foot pain I have ever had. New, shoes, tested for about 2 miles,,, Yep, I knew better, nope, moleskin didn't help.

Enter the Dragon...............

I'm tellin' ya the best way to prevent blisters, besides properly fitted shoes/boots, is to soak them puppies in a strong tea solution twice a day for 30 minutes to toughen 'em up (rant over).

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 12:19
Yep- you posted that on one of my other threads, and I definitely plan to do it. Just a stronge black tea solution? Any special temp?

Mags
11-12-2009, 14:25
Yeah..sit on the couch. It is so much better for your health. Don't bother with fitness. You'll be fine. ;)

To those people who were couch potatoes before the hike..what are they like 1 yr after? 2 yrs later? 5 yrs later?

emerald
11-12-2009, 15:04
Hikers who have all but run up Katahdin after a 2000-mile warm-up hike must remember what's gained is short-lived and must work to maintain their fitness afterwards. The benefits extend into all aspects of life. In some ways, staying fit is an even bigger challenge.

Jester2000
11-12-2009, 15:06
. . . To those people who were couch potatoes before the hike..what are they like 1 yr after? 2 yrs later? 5 yrs later?

I'm pretty much the same, except my hiking habit means I can't afford a couch.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 15:07
Yep- I'm hoping I'll remember that I shouldn't eat like a hiker once I finish. (And I'm going to try to keep very fit) I'm hopefully going to do some of the PCT after the AT (then again, who knows what I'll want to do when I'm done with the AT?) and the LT. Maybe that'll keep me in shape. Or at least be incentive to stay in shape.

emerald
11-12-2009, 15:15
Getting a job unless you are one of the few who doesn't need one might not be a bad idea. I hope you will find one that will allow you to experience all of what life has to offer.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make it happen. If you come up with any good ideas, don't keep them to yourself.

garlic08
11-12-2009, 20:38
...i've run ultramarathons where runners were 10 times more "trained" than i was but i beat them cuz i was mentally tougher. lotsa hikers and runners are pain weenies and quit over minor ailments

I've heard this before, from a guy I met on the PCT. He competed in a series of ultramarathons in CA the year before hiking the PCT and never completed a single course. The year after his thru hike, despite being older and less "fit", he finished every one and placed very high in the state. It was all mental, he said.

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2009, 20:44
A lot of what Lone Wolf says applies to long-distance hiking just as it does to distance running.

Get your head right and everything else will follow.

Mags
11-12-2009, 20:48
I'm pretty much the same, except my hiking habit means I can't afford a couch.

I suggest a log. They are free and give the room character.

Skidsteer
11-12-2009, 20:58
I suggest a log. They are free and give the room character.

Plus you don't have to scrounge firewood in the rain.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 21:28
Getting a job unless you are one of the few who doesn't need one might not be a bad idea. I hope you will find one that will allow you to experience all of what life has to offer.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make it happen. If you come up with any good ideas, don't keep them to yourself.

I have two jobs right now- a partial au pair (a cross between a babysitter and an aupair) and a job as a secretary in a law office. Just to finance my hike. And hopefully, when I come back from the trail I'll get a job I actually like. Even with two jobs, I'll probably be pretty close to broke when this is over... It'll be worth it!

Maybe I can find a way to get paid to hike...

The Weasel
11-12-2009, 21:47
SL:

I come late to this thread, and I'm sorry I haven't read all of it. I apologize if I'm redundant to anyone.

Things that have helped me for training, esp in '99 for my '00 attempt, were this (I lived in a basically flat area too):

- 2-3 times a week I went to the local high school football field with my pack and climbed up the stairs on one end and down on the other, using my poles. This strengthened me some (earlier post that recovery is the real time for that, and that's right) but also helped huge with agility and learning to downhill. Trust me; many downhills are like going down steps, and you need to learn how to handle the knee pounding. Tom Petty was right; "coming down is the hardest thing."

- Use the joint supplement (chondrotin? can't remember at this second, I just empty the bottle!) routinely to enhance cartilege. That's what gets the worst hit in your spine and knees.

- Use shoes/boots similar to what you will use on the trail as "everyday" shoes on weekends. This will acclimate your feet to them.

- Try to walk a minimum of 5 miles a day to toughen/callous your soles. But use lotion to keep the skin soft so it doesn't split. Do this in addition to any 'tea' or other treatments.

- Learn several basic Yoga full-body stretches, including the 'cobra' and practice them often and always do them before walking on or off the trail.

TW

emerald
11-12-2009, 21:52
Maybe I can find a way to get paid to hike...

Maybe you can. Some have. It's a thought many before you have had, myself included.

Now I'd be content with a position that pays 30-50% more with good security and more flexibility as to when I can take my vacation time. It doesn't take much to make me happy, but I find surrounding myself with people whose company I enjoy makes a big difference.

emerald
11-12-2009, 21:58
One thing you want to avoid is injury to your Achilles' tendons. Consider stretches to lengthen them and listen to your body especially in the first few weeks.

rickb
11-12-2009, 22:02
I would recommend a fanatic embrace of as many healthy habits as possible.

I would train myself to read nutritional labels and eat like I were a middle aged person in physical decline who really needs to pay attention to all that.

Also, and most importantly, I would train myself to abstain from any tobacco products, especially if you are one who might have just one cigarette here or there when out clubbing and such. Not because a few ciggs will slow you down (they won't) but because they are like potato chips on the Trail.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 22:39
Sounds good weasel. And rick, I'll put myself on the fanatic health path right away. Emerald- any special stretches in mind? I know a couple, but you might know some better ones.

The Weasel
11-12-2009, 22:45
SL-

The 'cobra' is an excellent one for spinal/disc safety. I'm sure you know it or can find it. The 'leg cross' helps ankles/agility. If you were going to take one class for backpacking...basic Yoga would be it. Rickb is right about the fanaticism. On the food/exercise front, try to build up muscle mass (safely, no "pills") and reduce central body fat.

TW

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 23:09
Definitely working on building muscle and reducing body fat (especially reducing body fat. Why buy a lightweight sleeping bag and carry 20 extra pounds on the body???).

And I was thinking about yoga! My uncle (who thru'd about ten years ago) suggested Tai Chi- he said he really wished he'd taken it for balance, I'd never thought about taking a class for balance before that. Though I did figure yoga is always good. I'll look into yoga this week, I hope. This is great, I've got a whole list going!

(January and Feb. will be great- my college classes I'm taking on the side will be over, and so will my symphony rehearsals- all I'll have to do is work and work out! Perfect...)

emerald
11-12-2009, 23:24
Emerald- any special stretches in mind? I know a couple, but you might know some better ones.

Nothing special is required. By failing to prepare myself, I sustained an avoidable injury before leaving Georgia and had to live with it well into Virginia. Don't do what I did.

Be mindful of what happens when you ascend steeply repeatedly with your feet flat on the treadway, especially when carrying additional weight to which your body is not accustomed. There may be no need for your entire sole to make contact with the treadway or contact it parallel with your direction of travel. On steep rock pitches, especially when wet, more rubber on the road may be desirable.

You mentioned earlier you would rather sweat now than bleed later. Stretch now, rather than strain something later.

hikingshoes
11-12-2009, 23:45
After you posted a section of crossfit on doing squats fast(slow at first)it help me back alot.I was down for 6months-all i could to was lay on my back and my mom/sister had to help me up and down,this is a great workout.I do the squats,ride my bike,use a wheel for my upper/mid.section.Now i can backpack/camp/hike.people think im crazy when i tell them that backpacking helps my back,but its the pressure from the pack that helps.Thanks,Charles
You were told wrong. You need to squat as deep as your anatomy will allow, IE ass-to-grass. The down-squat is defined as hip-flexion, rising from the bottom of the squat is defined as hip-extension. Inability to perform the latter is, along with dementia, what keeps nursing homes full.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/06/knee-position-and-muscle-mass.tpl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdSZmWNYQI

I also strongly reccomend the deadlift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBI9qxibTc&feature=related

ShelterLeopard
11-13-2009, 00:49
Thanks Emerald- very good to know!

Brian (aka Skippy)
11-13-2009, 14:01
Train for this...

http://www.bataanmarch.com/

Participate and start the AT on March 23rd...it'll be a breeze!

I lost 80 lbs. Ran 6 days a week. 4 miles a day. With duck-taped thrift store shoes. No gym membership. And running still sucks just as much as the first day I started.

It's all in your head...you've got to run until you hear the whisper in your mind louder than your screaming muscles. It's all in your noggin!

codpilot
11-15-2009, 17:29
I've been sectioning the trail for the better part of 5 years now - 1 to 3 weeks at a stretch. My fitness throughout that has varied, but I have learned a lot (so much so this year I'm training for marathons - I figure if I can run 26 miles, my endurance will be most excellent, and I'm doing yoga for the flexibility). I also come from flat land - so not a great deal in hills here (unless you count small bridges)

During those 5 years of hiking I've met a whoooole bunch of through hikers with the following common injuries:

Achilles
"knee"
Blisters
shin splints
hips

Blisters - poorly broken in boots/shoes - and never actually hiking with a pack at the weight you'll be carrying. Learn what works for you - socks shoes and pack weight (I highly recommend the light philosophy)

Most of the achilles, hips and knee problems all came from a lack of core strength and mostly were from IT band tightness. All the walking in the world won't give you much core strength once you've damaged your IT band - but your knees will remind you with every downhill step. This last year was shin splints - so bad on some folks you could see the swelling and bruising as they came down the trail wincing with every step.

Yes, nothing beats hiking to prepare for hiking but you can make a great deal of difference in your hike with proper preparedness, such as:

Core strength - learn the plank pose, and some basic ab and back exercises. - these will make a big difference! Without them you run the risk of injury since you can't maintain posture.

Back strength - keeps the body from dying the last 5 miles - think pullups and pushups.

Leg Strength - Plyometrics (lunges, squats etc) to build strength, jumping to build flexibility (think rock hopping), anything to keep you light on your feet. Nothing sucks worse and takes longer to heal than you want than a sprained ankle.

Endurance - running is the best - but nordic track, stairmaster is really good too - you want aerobic endurance!

Food - fuel the body well - I liked the middle age reference (ouch) but it really helps to eat right.

Yeah, you can wait to let the trail train you- and the first 4 weeks through GA and NC/TN will be hell on earth! Especially since Georgia loves to go straight up all the mountains, then straight down. (Gap - a trail spot on the AT where the only way in is straight down and the only way out is straight up). But the walk will be infinitely more enjoyable if you can simply hike and enjoy the trail and the people :)

I know the years I'm in good shape are the best - cruise up the mountain and down like it's candy. The years I'm not - well huff and puff is the best I can say and ugh dang another hill.

Whatever you decide to do - Walk well!

drifters quest
12-01-2009, 00:36
I'm definetely doing some working out before I hit the trail, mostly running, walking, and of course, horseback riding. The reason I am really intent on the running and walking is not because i'm worried about being sore when I start out, it's because I started running this Summer and after two months I was up to eight miles of running, which apparently my body wasn't accustomed too because I developed a stress fracture in one of my feet. It was either because of my shoes, or because my body wasn't used to all the stress and didn't have time to strenghten to the miles. Running is more strenuous than walking. Stress fractures are painful and as much as possible I want to avoid one on the trail so I am getting my feet used to the miles a bit slower this time and making sure I have shoes and boots that fit me very well.

glessed
12-03-2009, 22:16
These are the exercises I really hate, but they do a lot of good.

Yesterday, I did lunges the length of the gym and back. Wanted to quit halfway but made it the whole distance.

Also did three sets of 20 (on each leg) stepping up on a platform raised 18 inches off the floor with 20 pounds in each hand.

By the way. This was not how I started out. Had to work up to it over the last 3 months. I couldn't do 5 of each of the above three months ago.

I have been working out about 3 days a week. I still get sore but my energy level has definately improved.

Before I started going to the gym, I was section hiking on the weekends. Hiking was not a problem, but the gym routine has convinced me that I was not in the greatest of shape.

Before taking this to heart remember, I am 68 years old. I am looking forward to meeting all of you on the trail in 2010.

ShelterLeopard
12-03-2009, 22:31
Okay, so I've been "working out", and since all the muscles that hurt after hiking are hurting after my workout, I figure I'm good!

drifters quest
12-04-2009, 00:24
Aw man. I guess i'm slacking a wee bit.. took my dog for an urban walk, does that count? No, but seriously I hate working out inside.. will probably be going for a hike Sunday, albeit a cold hike with highs in the single digits and in the mountains it probably wont be past zero

Powell19
12-04-2009, 03:25
I do lots of endurance training and interval training on the elliptical machines and stationary bikes. I also lift weights 3-4 times a week (I change my lifting program every month to keep it fresh.) I also try to hike once a week, even if it's just for an hour or so. I'm blesed with LOTS of great trails within 20 min of my home.

Google "the king of exercises." You will get info on two exercises, squats and deadlifts. There's a good reason these are considered the kings, and they're not just for powerlifters. Plus, once you learn the basics, there are lots of variations that focus on different muscle groups.

Do 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps (low to moderate weight) for endurance training one month, do a 5x5 (as heavy as you feel safe lifting) the next month to build power (Power training = more work output on steep climbs.) These two exercises, if done properly, will train all the major muscles in your legs and your core too. Start out easy, rest 1 - 2 min. between sets and learn good form, so you don't hurt yourself.

That's my 2 cents. Hope it's worth something to you.

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 09:31
Aw man. I guess i'm slacking a wee bit.. took my dog for an urban walk, does that count? No, but seriously I hate working out inside.. will probably be going for a hike Sunday, albeit a cold hike with highs in the single digits and in the mountains it probably wont be past zero

Same problem- I've been working out inside during the week, just because I can't do anything else, and trying to get out and hike just very near where I live on the weekend.

Sure urban walking counts- maybe carry a backpack loaded with textbooks or something. The only reason I'm really working out right now is to give me something to do, to get in better shape now (it makes me sleep better too), and to hope (hope, mind you) that the first couple days might just be a tiny but less painful.

sherrill
12-04-2009, 10:09
Don't take elevators - use the stairs whenever possible.

drifters quest
12-04-2009, 13:50
I guess i'm in "decent" shape. I'll be huffing and puffing up the first few hills i'm sure, but I won't feel like i'm gonna die. Once I get my pack and gear ill be taking it "hiking" probably at least once a week and go for a short trip probably in early January. If I have to do more gear figuring I can "backpack" around the ranch I work at, set up camp and figure out what all of my gear is actually necessary and whether or not I need to add anything. I want to start driving to Cody and swim; a great way to get in shape, easy on the joints. Also take my dog for good walks several times a week.Found a pair of boots i liked- keens. The only problemm was the place I tried them on didn't havethe Targhee II, just the non waterproof version so i'll get those in Seattle and break them in a little and make sure they'll work out.

Brian (aka Skippy)
12-04-2009, 14:13
I dunno, it seems like cardio is cardio despite wearing your pack. Unless you're in some competition I really don't understand the need for involving the awkwardness of walking/running with weights.

I can burn just as many calories, sweat just as hard, and lose just as much weight in a pair of shorts and tennis shoes. It's not the clothes that make the man/woman!

My new favorite calistentic: me at 45 degree angle...support at hips...lean forward and lift yourself back up...like a reverse sit-up. Ouch. That's the spot that bothers me when packing.

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 14:20
I dunno, it seems like cardio is cardio despite wearing your pack. Unless you're in some competition I really don't understand the need for involving the awkwardness of walking/running with weights.

I just like to get used to the pack weight- I get used to it quickly, but my shoulders still hurt after a couple days, so I like to occasionally put on my pack when I'm working out. Besides, it strengthens your legs (well, makes your legs hurt, anyway....), and my legs could use some more muscle.

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 14:21
I never run with my pack on though- messes with my knees. (Unless I've been hiking for a while and there's food nearby :D )

Rambler1
12-04-2009, 14:58
1. Walk and stretch
2. Always warm up each day with a slow pace and finish each day with a slow pace to cool down.
3. Start eating the foods you'll have on trial.
4. Read/learn how to take care of tendons and muscle cramps.

BrianLe
12-04-2009, 15:53
Rambler1 suggested: "Start eating the foods you'll have on trial."

Trail ==> trial: freudian slip? :-)

Seriously, while I agree that it's good to try out such foods to see if recipes work, and that you don't clearly dislike anything, my personal suggestion would be to not eat such foods any more than you need to before the trip --- to hopefully delay the "I'm bloody sick of this stuff" reaction. I think the last thing a person would want to do would be to start on a regular, daily diet of trail food before getting on the trail ...

This also relates to resupply plans. If most resupply is done along the way, then if you find you don't like something, you can just stop buying that as you go along in favor of something else.

"1. Walk and stretch"
"2. Always warm up each day with a slow pace and finish each day with a slow pace to cool down."
This sounds like on-trail advice rather than training advice (?). FWIW, I don't do any of that when on-trail, in fact almost never stretched at all on the PCT, nor did I notice anyone I was walking with do so. Never had any muscle cramps.
This runs counter to common wisdom, I know, but my experience was that in general folks just seemed to get up and start walking, with their pace more impacted by trail quality and elevation gain/loss or perhaps particular mileage or destination goals than the time of day. Unless as ShelterLeopard suggested "there's food nearby" or that sort of dynamic!

I'm not presenting this as some sort of universal truth (!), just my own limited experience.

Jester2000
12-04-2009, 17:01
On my PCT hike I stretched every morning. I had not done so on my AT hike. This may or may not have been a factor in my lack of injuries on the PCT vs. my injury-prone AT hike. I also took virtually no pain killers on the PCT, vs. swallowing handfuls of them on the AT. Finished the PCT with the same bottle with which I started.

There are many factors that probably influenced this, though.

drifters quest
12-04-2009, 18:22
I plan on stretching likely every morning after the first mile or half a mile- especially during the first few weeks. I'm not planning on taking a long time to do it, just a few minutes. I have found though that stretching properly (never stretch cold, always warm up first!) can not only help prevent injury, but makes me a lot less sore then if I didn't stretch. I'll likely stretch a few minutes during the last part of my hike as well or when I get back into camp.

Jester2000
12-04-2009, 18:43
I plan on stretching likely every morning after the first mile or half a mile- especially during the first few weeks. I'm not planning on taking a long time to do it, just a few minutes. I have found though that stretching properly (never stretch cold, always warm up first!) can not only help prevent injury, but makes me a lot less sore then if I didn't stretch. I'll likely stretch a few minutes during the last part of my hike as well or when I get back into camp.

I forgot to mention that I stretched upon arriving in camp -- good mention. I also did a little isometric action in my sleeping bag before getting up. If you know what I mean.

Colter
12-04-2009, 19:07

I think some training with a loaded pack is nice, but I agree that the mental training is much more important. I'd bet on an out-of-shape starter with a great attitude over an athlete with a poor attitude, any day.

Knowing what you're getting into is important. It's difficult, painful and uncomfortable a lot.

I love it.

A-Train
12-04-2009, 19:07
There are many factors that probably influenced this, though.

More cheese?

Jester2000
12-05-2009, 15:58
More cheese?

Absolutely. I was way more organized in my approach to cheese ingestion on the PCT.

Mrs Smokestack
12-14-2009, 20:38
the only way to train for a thru hike is to actually hike to be a 100% honest so my husband learned last year. nothing else can prepare you for the rain and most of what you will be subject to but im stoked and am counting down the days till april hope to meet you out there

llano
12-15-2009, 12:30
train? **gasp** You mean I have to train for this trek?! *sigh* Well alright, I'll haul my lazy butt outta this chair and take a walk....