PDA

View Full Version : USMC 1775-2009 and Veteran's Day

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2009, 17:00
This has absolutely nothing to do with the Trail or hiking but I felt like posting it anyway:

In 1775, at the Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, the United States Marine Corps was founded.

Congratulations, thank you, and Happy Birthday to Whiteblaze former Marines, of whom there seem to be quite a few.

Those of us who never served are very grateful to those who did.

And tomorrow is Veteran's Day, so let's not forget the other Armed services either.

When you get out in the woods, either for a weekend or for six months, don't forget the folks who gave you the freedom and leisure to do so.

neighbor dave
11-10-2009, 17:03
thanks to all the x-Marines out there, the country is a better place because of guys like lone wolf.:welcome:sun

Chaco Taco
11-10-2009, 17:13
Im glad this was posted with the number of Marines on this site and in the trail community. Thanks for serving and protecting this awesome country and the freedoms we take for granted each and everyday

Jester2000
11-10-2009, 17:13
In 1775, at the Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, the United States Marine Corps was founded.

. . . based, I believe, on a drunken bar bet.

Happy Birthday Marines!

Many Walks
11-10-2009, 17:16
Thanks Jack. This is a special day. Semper Fi brothers!

cavscout
11-10-2009, 17:26
Ooooorah fellow Leather Necks (B)

Ladytrekker
11-10-2009, 17:36
Good Post, my brother is an ex-Marine and was wounded twice in Vietnam. hoorah.

Ramble~On
11-10-2009, 18:13
Semper Fi!

Weapons Platoon
Alpha Company
1st Battalion, 5th Marines
1st Marine Division
Worldwide Warriors

Hooch
11-10-2009, 18:43
Ooh-Rah!

Happy Birthday and Semper Fidelis!

Hooch
Field Radio Operator
3rd Reconnaissance Bn, Okinawa, Japan
2nd Force Reconnaissance Co, Camp Lejeune, NC

Corrigan
11-10-2009, 18:47
Thanks and Happy Birthday to the other Marines on here!

Lone Wolf
11-10-2009, 18:58
Congratulations, thank you, and Happy Birthday to Whiteblaze former Marines, of whom there seem to be quite a few.

you're only a former Marine if you're dead. once a Marine, always a Marine

Lone Wolf
11-10-2009, 19:01

3rd combat engineer batallion
8th engineer support batallion

mister pooh
11-10-2009, 19:02
Know what MARINE stands for? My A** Rides In Navy Equipment :D

Just kidding! My first ship was an amphib (USS Anchorage LSD-36), and I met a lot of cool Marines who got along just fine with us squids. Happy Birthday to the Corps!

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2009, 19:04
Actually, Wolf, you are quite mistaken.

The phrase "former Marine" is a quite appropriate, and perfectly respectable term for anyone who served in the Corps, and is perfectly applicable to people still alive. In fact, it is the preferred term for those who served in the Marine Corps, i.e. living Marine Corps veterans.

A two minute search on the Internet will confirm this, Wolf.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2009, 19:05

The phrase "former Marine" is a quite appropriate, and perfectly respectable term for anyone who served in the Corps, and is perfectly applicable to people still alive. In fact, it is the preferred term for those who served in the Marine Corps, i.e. living Marine Corps veterans.

oh for crissakes :rolleyes:

Hooch
11-10-2009, 19:16
you're only a former Marine if you're dead. once a Marine, always a MarineThe man's right. Marine is a title, hence its capitalization, that is earned under the most severe of conditions and is carried by those who earn it until the day they die. Some Marines take no offense to being called "former Marines" after their active duty days are behind them, but most prefer to be called by the title they worked so hard to earn: Marine.

"He is best who is trained in the severest school." - Thucydides

Lone Wolf
11-10-2009, 19:20
The man's right. Marine is a title, hence its capitalization, that is earned under the most severe of conditions and is carried by those who earn it until the day they die. Some Marines take no offense to being called "former Marines" after their active duty days are behind them, but most prefer to be called by the title they worked so hard to earn: Marine.

"He is best who is trained in the severest school." - Thucydides

don't try to explain. non-Marines don't understand regardless of what they google

Sly
11-10-2009, 19:21
Thanks to all Vets, but especially Marines.

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2009, 19:23
Hooch:

No argument. I am merely disputing Wolf. There's nothing wrong or disrespectful with the phrase "former Marine" and it is a perfectly standard, acceptable phrase. Anyone who doubts this can check out the official USMC website where the phrase is used freely to describe living Marine veterans. "Former Marine" is a term of respect, period.

Bulldawg
Thank you to all the folks who have served this great Country and Happy Birthday to all the Marines out there.

The only former Marines I know are 6 feet under BTW. Many thanks to them as well. All gave some, some gave all.

Many Walks
You don't just put on the uniform one day, take it off another and forget it. You become a Marine forever. Marines understand, the rest don't need to.

Sly
11-10-2009, 19:24
My Dad is six feet under, so now I guess he's a sub Marine. J/K Dad

cowboy nichols
11-10-2009, 19:26
I lost a cousin , a Marine , Had a son in the Army and have a son serving in the Navy. I thank all who have or are serving.

bronconite
11-10-2009, 19:28
Those of us who never served are very grateful to those who did.

Amen to that. Thank you to all who have served and all currently serving.

Hooch
11-10-2009, 19:28
You don't just put on the uniform one day, take it off another and forget it. You become a Marine forever. Marines understand, the rest don't need to.My vote for best post ever. Semper Fi, Many Walks.

Red Hat
11-10-2009, 19:35
Nov 10, 1967 my daughter was born. A friend who had just returned from Viet Nam informed me that he would never forget her birthday, since it was the Marine birthday, as well. He's no longer in the service, but always a Marine.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
11-10-2009, 19:39
You don't just put on the uniform one day, take it off another and forget it. You become a Marine forever. Marines understand, the rest don't need to.

Bearpaws new bumper sticker I found says it all:

Not as Lean
Not as Mean
Still a Marine!

Hooch
11-10-2009, 19:50
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2581/3732592139_f92889cf98.jpg

Ranc0r
11-10-2009, 19:53
Semper Fi, to all my Brothers and Sisters.

Former active duty Marine is acceptable. Former Marine is an abbreviation; doesn't make it accurate, just shorter.

Ex-Marine? - gotta be rocks in a box to qualify.

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Semper Fi. Hoorah.
Those would be statements, not invitations for opinion.

I love the Navy. Every time there's a war, they always give us a ride.

Ranc0r
3rd of the 5th

John Klein
11-10-2009, 19:54
Thanks for the post. My son is in the delayed entry program.

Bearpaw
11-10-2009, 20:15
Happy Birthday and all the best to all Marines! Special thanks to those brothers and sisters serving around the world tonight!

Semper Fidelis. http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies3/flag-marines.gif

Bearpaw
U. S. M. C. 1989-1999
3/12
5/10
2d A/NGLICO

Tin Man
11-10-2009, 22:28
Tribute to United States Marine Corps

THE FINAL INSPECTION

The Marine stood and faced God,

Which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining,

Just as brightly as his brass.

'Step forward now, Marine,

How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?

To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,

'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.

Because those of us who carry guns,

Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,

And at times my talk was tough.

And sometimes I've been violent,

Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,

That wasn't mine to keep...

Though I worked a lot of overtime,

When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,

Though at times I shook with fear.

And sometimes, God, forgive me,

I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,

Among the people here.

They never wanted me around,

Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,

It needn't be so grand.

I never expected or had too much,

But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,

Where the saints had often trod.

As the Marine waited quietly,

For the judgment of his God.

'Step forward now, you Marine,

You've borne your burdens well.

Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,

You've done your time in Hell.'

~Author Unknown~

Tinker
11-10-2009, 22:34
I knew someone would bring that up, and I'm not surprised it was you.
Happy birthday, LW (and all other Marines).

TheKO
11-10-2009, 22:57
Happy Birthday to all "former" and Active duty Marines.
Was one for 23 years and work with them as a contractor now.
Best bunch of professionalsl you will find anywhere
Bar none!

Nearly Normal
11-10-2009, 23:30
Happy Birthday Marine Corp!

Tin Man
11-10-2009, 23:41
"Once A Marine Always A Marine"

http://www.e27marines-1stmardiv.org/tribute/pics/dogtags_lg_clr.gif

"No Marine was ever honored for what they received. Honor was the reward for what they gave." (Anonymous)

Semper Fi! Heart

http://www.e27marines-1stmardiv.org/tribute/pics/Semper_Fidelis_Flag.jpg
<DIV id=message0><DIV id=RTEContent0><DIV id=RTEContent1><DIV align=center><DIV><FONT face=Verdana,Geneva color=#cc3300 size=4><DIV>

Shutterbug
11-11-2009, 00:55
thanks to all the x-Marines out there, the country is a better place because of guys like lone wolf.:welcome:sun

Neighbor Dave. Thanks for the kind words, but you need to know that there is no such thing as an x-marine. Once a marine, always a marine.

chiefduffy
11-11-2009, 04:01
Happy Birthday Marine Corps.

- from a crusty old Chief

Mountain Maiden
11-11-2009, 10:34
Happy Birthday to the Marines and so much gratitude to all the branches for all they've endeavored. Regardless if you agree with the 'politics' or not, the service can't be disputed.

My son-in-law (Lt Comm/Navy) left Afghanistan last night (we are so excited!) Many prayers for their safe arrival back home and for all the ones that stayed behind to continue the work.

S:sun

Grits
11-11-2009, 10:54
Thanks for all your service in the tradition of some legends Gimleteye Smedley Butler, Chesty Puller, Lew Walt. I would have not wanted to be on that hike out of the Chosin Reservoir with the 1st Division. A great article http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,573610,00.html

Lone Wolf
11-11-2009, 10:56
"freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Pedaling Fool
11-11-2009, 10:59
I like reading articles by David Ignatius, he gets it. Military life is truly special.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/10/AR2009111013408.html?wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

Cookerhiker
11-11-2009, 11:03
....And tomorrow is Veteran's Day, so let's not forget the other Armed services either.......

Yes Jack - thanks. Some of us veterans did our military service in branches other than the Marines.

Tipi Walter
11-11-2009, 11:13
On my last backpacking trip I ran into this fine Marine pulling a few days in the mountains of North Carolina. He spent several years in Iraq and we shared a day and night of rainy and cold and windy conditions together at 4,800 feet.

The Weasel
11-11-2009, 11:18
It's a good day to remember these men and women. We lost 11 in the water offshore from my home the week before last, and Marines as well assome courageous Coast Guard too. I'll pass the word from here down to MCB Camp Pendleton. If you're off work today, remember that they are on the job. Every day.

TW

Tipi Walter
11-11-2009, 11:24
Yes Jack - thanks. Some of us veterans did our military service in branches other than the Marines.

And one final note, I met this fine Army Ranger on Slickrock Creek several years ago(left in picture), and when I think of Veteran's Day I think of him. He was in Iraq and fighting behind a stone wall when a grenade flew over and burst near his head. He lost an eye and needed a lot of work to reconstruct his head and spent months in military hospitals. When I met him he was backpacking the Nutbuster trail up from Slickrock Creek to Naked Ground, and had only one eye to do it.

After we parted I tried doing my trip with one eye closed and let me tell ya, it ain't easy. Dedicate this post to Army Ranger Doug.

Blissful
11-11-2009, 11:26
A friend's son is in the Marines and they were hit by a roadside bomb a few weeks back. He was okay, just a concussion, but the other two buddies are still in the hospital and one may be paralyzed.

God be with them...

Blissful
11-11-2009, 11:28

My nephew is in Afghanistan in the Army and another friend's son is also in the Army in Iraq.

My father-in-law served in the Air Force during Vietnam. Both my brother and sister served in the Air Force.

thecaptain
11-11-2009, 11:30
Having served in the Marines 1965-1968 Viet Nam 67-68.. I perfer to be called an ex-marine just like when I speak of ex-wives either sinlge x, double xx, or triple xxx never my former wives or wife

Now I perfer my given name Michael (Mike) or trail name Captain not confused with military rank but that I look like Captain Kanagroo

Furlough
11-11-2009, 11:33
. . . based, I believe, on a drunken bar bet.

Happy Birthday Marines!

Maybe, but just to back up the bet the Continental Congress formally formed the Army on 14 June 1775, the Navy on 13 October 1775 and the Marines on 10 November 1775.

Happy Birthday Marines.

Furlough - US Army - Retired

Many Walks
11-11-2009, 11:35
This Veterans Day I salute everyone in ALL branches of the military on active duty, those who previously served and especially those who gave their lives through our history to gain and maintain the freedoms we all enjoy as citizens of this great country. The free Republic must be preserved in their honor. Happy Veterans Day to ALL!

mister pooh
11-11-2009, 11:35
"For history is filled with heroes. You may remember the stories of a grandfather who marched across Europe; an uncle who fought in Vietnam; a sister who served in the Gulf. But as we honor the many generations who have served, I think all of us - every single American - must acknowledge that this generation has more than proved itself the equal of those who have come before.

We need not look to the past for greatness, because it is before our very eyes.

This generation of soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen have volunteered in a time of certain danger. They are part of the finest fighting force that the world has ever known. They have served tour after tour of duty in distant, different and difficult places. They have stood watch in blinding deserts and on snowy mountains. They have extended the opportunity of self-government to peoples that have suffered tyranny and war. They are man and woman; white, black, and brown; of all faiths and stations - all Americans, serving together to protect our people, while giving others half a world away the chance to lead a better life."

For my cousin in the Marines in Afghanistan and for all at the pointy end of the spear today. I am proud of my generation's service, as I am proud of the generations before. I only wish my professor would give us vets a day off from classes today :)

Pootz
11-11-2009, 12:09
"freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

I saw a great t-shirt the other day

LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I thank every that has ever served on the military.

Feral Bill
11-11-2009, 12:16
Excuse the political message, but it wouldn't hurt to advocate for veterans medical needs and other benefits they have earned. Some of them have a rough road ahead.

southpaw95
11-11-2009, 12:20
GO AIR FORCE !

To all that have served and are serving, THANKS.

Hooch
11-11-2009, 12:29
GO AIR FORCE !And take the Coast Guard with ya.......:rolleyes::D

Happy Veterans Day to all those who have served.

To those who have stepped in harm's way and never returned, words cannot say enough. My gratitude to you today and always.

Yahtzee
11-11-2009, 12:42
My friends are always surprised when I tell them how many former military men and women hike the trail. I always ask them if who they thought would have a better chance of walking 2000 miles, military or hippy?

And let us not forget the veteran/hiker that started it all, Earl Shaffer.

Happy Veterans Day.

US Army '92-95

Jester2000
11-11-2009, 13:16
My friends are always surprised when I tell them how many former military men and women hike the trail. I always ask them if who they thought would have a better chance of walking 2000 miles, military or hippy?

I'm gonna go with "military hippie."

The Weasel
11-11-2009, 13:32

Actually, there are not a few who were both, including Marines who, by the way, are entitled to call themselves anything they want, as are all other veterans.

TW

soad
11-11-2009, 13:41
I've seen a lot of ads on TV for "Happy 234th anniversary" for the Marines. Is there any special significance to this number (as opposed to the 233rd or the 235th)?? Just wondering.....Thank you to all the brave men and women in uniform.

The Weasel
11-11-2009, 13:57
I've seen a lot of ads on TV for "Happy 234th anniversary" for the Marines. Is there any special significance to this number (as opposed to the 233rd or the 235th)?? Just wondering......

I am soooooo not going to state the obvious.

TW

Lone Wolf
11-11-2009, 14:29
I've seen a lot of ads on TV for "Happy 234th anniversary" for the Marines. Is there any special significance to this number (as opposed to the 233rd or the 235th)?? Just wondering.....Thank you to all the brave men and women in uniform.

it's the birthday of the Corps not the anniversary

skinewmexico
11-11-2009, 15:14
I watched the restored footage from Iwo Jima that MSN had posted today, didn't spot my Dad though. Thanks to all the Veterens.

beeman
11-11-2009, 18:40
I haven't been online here for a couple of months but I wanted to stop in and say THANKS very much to you veterans for your service. I appreciate you.
Dave Fox
aka beeman
Co B, 2/75 Airborne Ranger BN
1974-1978

Alligator
11-11-2009, 20:22
Many thanks to all the veterans reading this.

chiefduffy
11-12-2009, 03:58

I resemble that remark...

Helios
11-12-2009, 07:11

USMC MSgt (ret.) 1985 - 2006

Call me former when I'm dead. Marine is the title I've earned and go by. Ex-Marine is for those who we've kicked out of our ranks.

Yeah, we're cocky like that! We've even been called extremist!

kanga
11-12-2009, 09:28

did you seriously just correct a Marine about the Marines? jeez, man. you got some issues.

mister pooh
11-12-2009, 09:31
Alright, birthday's over "Semper Fi's" (as an old Senior Chief of mine used to call ya'll).

Know what MARINE really stands for?

Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essential :D

Go Navy!

Hooch
11-12-2009, 09:41
Call me former when I'm dead. Marine is the title I've earned and go by. Ex-Marine is for those who we've kicked out of our ranks. Exactly!

Yeah, we're cocky like that! We've even been called extremist!But we deserve it! Semper Fi, Top.

Alright, birthday's over "Semper Fi's" (as an old Senior Chief of mine used to call ya'll).

Know what MARINE really stands for?

Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essential :D

Go Navy!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Seriously, we, as Marines, are proud to be a department of the Navy. Fortunately, we're the Men's Department. :D

The Phoenix
11-12-2009, 11:16
a day late... but I don't care... grateful everyday for Veteran's and the people protecting and serving for our freedom. Thank God for all the brave selfless people out there. Don't care how your work is misconstrued at times... at heart I know and all good Americans know how important you all are. To those whiteblazers who served or are perhaps a career military man or woman... Godspeed and thanks for keeping this country free and safe!