PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerated Meds

11-10-2009, 17:57
I've got an experienced hiking friend that is considering a long, 6-8 week section hike but needs access to prescription medicine that need to
be chilled. These meds are taken once a week. I was wondering if anyone has come across this issue and whether there are dedicated trail angels out there that could receive, store and deliver these meds at designated stops.

Thanks.

Blissful
11-10-2009, 20:17
The AT crosses roads and towns many times so hopefully that can be arranged. Would take careful planning though and volunteers. Better choice would be a reliable friend or family member who can make the road trip once a week and meet the hiker. That would avoid shipping the med and other problems (like a no show, which can happen).

Hooch
11-10-2009, 20:51
I'd be curious what the medication is and if there is an accepable non-refrigerated substitute for it.

Alligator
11-10-2009, 21:01
To add to what Hooch said, occasionally there are meds that while they are shipped refrigerated they can handle room temperatures. Just something to check on.

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2009, 22:07
On a side note many a water bladder picks up heat from your back and surrounding air. chilled is not frozen. So here is my Idea, get a thick air core solar from a car place like Pep boys and sew it around your bladder and add a inch of extra room so if you over fill it holds up. This traps air and prevents the water from warming as much as it its exstracted. It will remain cool when you fill up from moutain streams... I hiked with a hiker who's knees swelled up on him and I used the bladder to reduce the swelling. Put the medicine next to the bladder inside your new sleave. I am discussing the backwoods way of keeping cool, from understanding a wetted bandanna from a mountain stream on a hot day can make all the difference. I am only offering this advice if the other previous solutions prove impractical

Before refrigeration folks used a stone building near a water source to create a cooler, In England a small basement or Larder was formed in the earth and things like butter were kept in crocks on large stones. A nearby 200 year old farm here has a cave in the kitchen wall that they now use to keep drinks cold.

11-10-2009, 23:35
It's medication that is delivered as a syringe. And actual, real refrigeration is a must. I'm hoping that this kind of situation had been addressed before by the AT community. The best case scenario, in my mind, is a small set of trail angels that can adjust their schedules slightly to meet a person on a particular day of the week for the drop off.

Thanks for the replies!

'zilla

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2009, 23:48
http://www.arthritis.org/media/chapters/mwa/The%20Refrigerated%20Traveler.doc

Feral Bill
11-11-2009, 00:32
Would hiking in colder weather work? Might be worth considering. Or overnight mail drops with an ice pack.

mkmangold
11-11-2009, 01:35
Would hiking in colder weather work? Might be worth considering. Or overnight mail drops with an ice pack.

Or a solar-powered refrigerator.

napster
11-11-2009, 02:37
Next Day Air And/Or/With Dry Ice
N......

Sleeps_With_Skunks
11-11-2009, 03:12
This might help. It is portable to carry with you and runs on water to keep stuff cool. I used something similar to transport my allergy shot vials from the doctor in NY to my college doctor in Ohio. Took me a few to find this link. Hope it helps.

http://www.frious.com/about/

Not Sunshine
11-11-2009, 07:22
Having to be on a strict IV/IM/SQ medication on a weekly basis signals my mind to think that they may not be "healthy as a horse". What if this person doesn't make it to the stop in time? What if rain keeps them in a shelter for 2 days and they twist their ankle? Is being without medications safe?

I am going to post this regardless of the angel on my shoulder saying "no"...but my justification is maybe if your friend reads this he/she will be even MORE determined to hike the weeks/miles.

My only other suggestion would be that your friend contact a few local pharmacies and see if they would be willing to have his/her dose in-house - pharmacies tend to have better hours than post offices. :-p

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2009, 19:36
This might help. It is portable to carry with you and runs on water to keep stuff cool. I used something similar to transport my allergy shot vials from the doctor in NY to my college doctor in Ohio. Took me a few to find this link. Hope it helps.

http://www.frious.com/about/

I read that article and that is amazing!

white_russian
11-11-2009, 20:42
How about just hiking in the winter? Let nature do the logistics. Plus you get to bring all sorts of delicious perishables as well.

chazmo
11-12-2009, 13:30
The Frios pouches work very well. I am an insulin dependent diabetic, and use one to keep my insulin cool on summer hikes.

squeezebox
11-15-2009, 18:15
Acombo of the frios pouch and calling ahead to a pharmacy sound like a possibility.think it might take a regular pharmacy a day or so to get an exotic med.

bronconite
11-16-2009, 15:24
I read that article and that is amazing!

I did too, so I researched it a bit further. The products are actually very reasonably priced, and they make a bottle/can cooler, AND it under an ounce.:banana

http://www.coolerconcept.com/pages/drinkcoolers.htm