PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah street parking in Harpers Ferry

cvoso
11-11-2009, 06:52
Hello all....

Doing a section hike and was going to leave a car at the Shenandoah street parking lot in Harpers Ferry .

Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this place and if it is safe to leave a car there for a while

Thanks alot

--No trail name Yet--

cvoso
11-11-2009, 07:05
ok so i just read online that you cant leave a car at Shenandoah street

does anyone know where i can leave a car for the weeknd in harpers ferry?

Helios
11-11-2009, 07:51
Call the ATC...this time of year they aren't open on weekends, and may allow you to park there. I did last year, but I'd call first to make sure things haven't changed. You can also use the National Park's visitor parking lot for $6.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2009, 09:09
I didn't know the Park Service charged $6 to park in their lot. Is that new?

There's a small parking area on the road across the Potomac upstream a few hundred feet. It's supposed to be for the Maryland Heights Trail but you can probably get away with parking there for a few days.

Blissful
11-11-2009, 11:34
Yes park in the NPS parking lot and take the shuttle. They're used to hikers. And yes, they do charge a small fee, but for safety of your vehicle, why not? :)

cvoso
11-11-2009, 19:18
what is NPS?

Jaybird62
11-11-2009, 20:28
national park service

mulehiker12
11-11-2009, 21:11
I parked in the NP parking lot last year for 5 days and did not have to pay anything. I sectioned hiked and walked from the bridge to the parking lot - about 2 miles or so.

mikec
11-11-2009, 21:16
I had to pay to leave a car there before. They make you fill out a form but the lot is secured and they patrol it at night.

http://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2009, 21:16
Boy, I dunno about Shenandoah St.

To be sure, I'd call Laurie at the ATC, or talk to Laura Wright or Jester at the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry and they'll be able to answer all your questions.

I think you're probably better off leaving it at the long-term lot by the Park Visitors Center, which is close to downtown HP and is easily accessible by shuttle bus.

Mrs Baggins
11-13-2009, 17:20
Visitors Center lot is the best bet. You fill out a form telling them where you're going and when you'll be back. You don't pay - at least we didn't. Take the shuttle into town and back again when you're done. Easy and the car is very safe.

DrRichardCranium
11-13-2009, 17:44
I live just 20 minute drive from Harpers Ferry.

I go to Harpers Ferry regularly to day-hike the Maryland Heights trail and the Loudon Heights trail, and I always have to pay the $6.00. I don't mind paying it, though. It supports the park.

You have to pay it whether you stay at the little parking lot on Shenandoah street (just off 340, just past the Shenandoah river) or at the big Visitor Center parking lot.

DrRichardCranium
11-13-2009, 17:47
Oh, and if you're going to the AT (south) and/or the Loudon Heights trail, you can just walk there from the parking lot. There's a foot path along the rte 340 bridge, and some steps down to the trail on the Virginia side.

I think the shuttle bus only goes into the town, which is the wrong way if you're headed south/Loudon Heights.

Caveman of Ohio
11-13-2009, 18:17
You can park on the blue blazed trail that goes right by the Atc offices. I parked there for a week and had no problems.

dovecote
11-14-2009, 21:45
I live just 20 minute drive from Harpers Ferry.

I go to Harpers Ferry regularly to day-hike the Maryland Heights trail and the Loudon Heights trail, and I always have to pay the $6.00. I don't mind paying it, though. It supports the park.

You have to pay it whether you stay at the little parking lot on Shenandoah street (just off 340, just past the Shenandoah river) or at the big Visitor Center parking lot.

Since you visit the Park regulary you should consider purchasing an annual pass for $25. I own one myself and use it all the time.

Lauriep
11-15-2009, 08:00
The parking lot on Shenandoah Street in Harpers Ferry is day-use only. It is a fee lot ($6) and closes at dusk. Rangers check it often, so it is very safe, but you will get ticketed if you leave it overnight.

For about a year, ATC's visitor center has been open 7 days a week. On weekends (late Friday afternoon through 9 am Monday morning), we have plenty of parking and are happy to have hikers there. Although we don't have a formal registration system at this time, we do request hikers leave contact information, details about their vehicle, and their hike itinerary, in case something happens them, a family member, or their vehicle.

Caveman is right, you can park on Storer College Place along the blue-blazed trail (between the signs that say "permit parking only"). But this is not as official (an informal agreement exists between ATC and the town that lets us use these spaces), and a few times an overzealous new policeman has ticketed someone parked there more than a few days. Last time I was able to get the policeman to tear up the ticket, but it was an unpleasant experience for the hiker nonetheless.

For long-term parking (up to 2 weeks, occasionally they may allow up to 3), the best place is the main parking area at the park entrance on the west side of US 340. For more detailed info, call (304) 535-6298.

Laurie P.
ATC