PDA

View Full Version : Share a sleeper train car down to Georgia in mid/ late February?

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 13:24
So, today I went on to Amtrak's website to make a reservation from New York City, to Gainesveille, Georgia for mid/ late February for my thru hike. And I don't really want to spend a 16 hour train ride in a seat, so I'm going to get a viewliner "roomette". (A small two bed bedroom) But for some really weird reason, you can't just get one bed, you have to get the whole room. So the ticket is about $320, for two. (Does anyone know why you can not just book a bed?)

Anyway, it should be a nice train ride, meals are included in the ticket price, shower, towel, you can see all the services on Amtrak's site, etc... The 19 Crescent is the line, leave NY at about 2pm, arrives in Gainesville at around 8am, where I will be picked up by the lovely folks at The Hiker Hostel to spend the night. (And the day)

So I was thinking, would anyone like to share the room? We could meet in NY Penn Station, and join up for the ride. (Thinking, mind you- I may keep the room all to myself). I'm only looking for a female roomate (any age), no offense guys.

Any women interested?

Lone Wolf
11-11-2009, 13:33
i've taken that train 10 times to gainesville. i always got a single slumber. guess they don't have those any more

MintakaCat
11-11-2009, 13:35
i've taken that train 10 times to gainesville. i always got a single slumber. guess they don't have those any more

Nope, those older cars are gone. She's right, Amtrak upgraded the equipment to the newer "viewliner" cars sometime back.

white_russian
11-11-2009, 13:42
You might want to look at adjusting your reservation to end at Anniston, AL and then tell the attendant that you want to get off at Gainesville. It could actually be cheaper this way. Amtrak doesn't do much hidden city pricing, but this is one case where they do. The folks on the train will not care if you get off early.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 13:48
Hmmm- I'll look into it, thanks russian. And I think it's strange that you can't just get a bed. I totally don't mind bunking with strangers. (I've done it a couple times in Russia- it seems so much more practical than the new American Amtrak system.)

The Weasel
11-11-2009, 13:54
Reason for 2 bunks is that's how the roomettes are built now. VERY worth it once meals are factored in. Plus they often provide wine, soda, juice, snacks, newspapers in the roomette, electric plugs, privacy, showers on the lower level.

Amtrak's site (or others) will show you the configuration of the sleeping cars, so you can request a particular roomette (they are lettered) based on preference. Upper level is a bit better, I think, since sway is a lot less than it used to be, and lower level has the shower and toilets in fairly constant use through the night. The side you are on makes a difference if there is scenery you want to view (makes a difference here along the Pacific Coast but not sure about what it would add to your trip).

Storage space in the roomettes is non-existent (unless you use the upper bunk, folded down). You will need to check your pack. Total floor space is about 18"x18", the table is about 12"x18". There are a few sites which will give you video tours of the roomettes and the cars.

When you make your meal reservations, go a few minutes early, preferably with your roomie. It's worth a modest tip to your Car Attendants when you make reservations to tell her/him you want a window at meals for EACH of you. The other seats at the table (usually 4 total) will have others in them.

When you travel, please do NOT forget to give your Car Attendant a reasonable tip. $3-5 for each calendar day is appropriate, if everything is clean and they do the above services for you. More for requested services, e.g. special reservations or bringing things to your room beyond normal service.

TW

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 16:06
Thanks weasel- very informative.

(I was only confused as to why I couldn't get a single bed, and share the cabin with a stranger, as I've done that several times before- not a single bed room)

The only thing I'm worried about is checking my pack. According to the Amtrak site, they don't have a checked baggage service in Gainesville- does this mean i can't pick up my bag, or I just couldn't check it if I was boarding the train there? Would they allow me to bring it on board if I kep the room to myself, and put the bag on one of the bunks?

XCskiNYC
11-11-2009, 16:19
The thing about the meals, if it's still working like it did the last time I ate in an Amtrak dining car which was a ways back, is that they will normally sit you side-by-side with your partner. So if you ask to both have window seats as suggested you'd possibly get to have the more natural arrangement of sitting across from each other. Amtrak service tends to be less than charming, kind of an odd mixture of an attempt at customer service, like a regular business that has competition, and the way you get treated at the DMV.

The way the roomettes work is you have to pay for a roomette but it can be used for one or two people. So if the roomette is $300 and your ticket is $150, it'll cost you $450. But if there were two traveling together the total would be $600.

Once you factor in a roomette it's cheaper to fly, unless you are buying a business class ticket at the airport.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 16:24
Really? Bummer- I guess I'll just keep it all to myself. (The roomette is $200, the ticket is something like $120, so the total as about $320)

So, never mind everyone! I'm keeping the room all to myself.

And I'd rather take the train. Airplanes are awesome, but somehow I feel that a train is the best way to start my trip- and my favorite way to travel.

Thanks XC!

mudhead
11-11-2009, 16:37
Being tight, I would sit in a regular seat for 16 hours for $200. I think there is getting up and walking still allowed. Way back when, you could carry on grub and a cold six.

I figure 4 hours of it I could amuse myself by sleeping. $12.50/hour to snore. Where do I sign up!:)

DapperD
11-11-2009, 20:02

(I was only confused as to why I couldn't get a single bed, and share the cabin with a stranger, as I've done that several times before- not a single bed room)

The only thing I'm worried about is checking my pack. According to the Amtrak site, they don't have a checked baggage service in Gainesville- does this mean i can't pick up my bag, or I just couldn't check it if I was boarding the train there? Would they allow me to bring it on board if I kep the room to myself, and put the bag on one of the bunks?I think they would, as I have read a few threads on Whiteblaze about Amtrack, and I think if you had a roomette they wouldn't give you any problem. The only thing is they have guidelines for weight and size limits for carry on. I think 2-50lb. items, and I think about the size of a backpack each, you would want to check. Also you are not allowed fuels of any kind, so you will need to make arrangments on obtaining that once you get down to Georgia.

white_russian
11-11-2009, 20:11
I think they would, as I have read a few threads on Whiteblaze about Amtrack, and I think if you had a roomette they wouldn't give you any problem. The only thing is they have guidelines for weight and size limits for carry on. I think 2-50lb. items, and I think about the size of a backpack each, you would want to check. Also you are not allowed fuels of any kind, so you will need to make arrangments on obtaining that once you get down to Georgia.
for carry on baggage you can bring anything you can carry by yourself. the folks on the train don't break out the ruler and scale to check. there is no way to check it since gainesville has no checked baggage. there has to be checked baggage at the origin and destination to use that service. as for fuels they don't search your stuff so just bring it along.

The Weasel
11-11-2009, 20:45
There will probably be an open-storage rack in your car; check the floor plan layouts for this, or ask by telephone. Very little risk of theft. If you're more nervous than that, ask your Car Attendant where you can put it safely. They may put it in their compartment (they get a roomette as an "office" usually). This is probably worth another $5 for each attendant; you will probably have 2 different ones as they change shifts along the way. If that seems steep, keep in mind that you're getting a pack bodyguard! Just don't abuse it by going in their roomette when they aren't there to get something, or bothering them constantly with it. Have a small bag with what you need in your roomette.

Lack of checked baggage service in Gainesville MIGHT mean just for loading, but call the 800 number and ask if they UNLOAD baggage. Probably not; this usually means there is no on-duty staffer at the station to handle baggage.

If you don't have a roomie, you can put anything you want on the other bunk, which folds down. Expensive place for baggage, though. Also possible to have 2 people, put your packs in the tiny floor space while you are seated or in bunks, stacked to the ceiling, but really a bad idea. I'd go with putting packs in the open storage if your car attendant can't/won't help. But they are all VERY helpful so they'll find a way to take care of you. Can't remember if there is anything you could cable lock to.

Food is still good, too:Dinner in the diner, Nothing could be finer, than to have your ham an' eggs in Carolina.

TW

The only thing I'm worried about is checking my pack. According to the Amtrak site, they don't have a checked baggage service in Gainesville- does this mean i can't pick up my bag, or I just couldn't check it if I was boarding the train there? Would they allow me to bring it on board if I kep the room to myself, and put the bag on one of the bunks?

LIhikers
11-11-2009, 22:49
When we took the train from NY to CA we slept in our seats. I didn't think it was bad at all.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 23:29
Yeah- but I LOVE sleeper cars. And I've never tried Amtrak's sleeper (I know, won't be my ideal of the old fashioned wooden train, but, whaddya going to do?). And thanks again Weasel and Russian- I was going to ask about the fuel.

The Weasel
11-12-2009, 10:26
Important benefit to some trains with roomettes: On the "Coast Starlight" (generally considered Amtrak's premier run these days), there is a Club Car that is reserved for First Class Passengers, i.e. anyone with sleeping accommodations. It has roomy swivel chairs, large tables, private bar, separate dining menu and even a movie theater and game room on the lower level. As soon as you board the train and get organized - FAST - in your roomette, move to the Club Car - FAST - and stake out a seat. It's more roomy, and like having your own private rail car. Great place to meet people and slurp up reasonably priced drinks.

TW

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 11:11
Good to know, thanks Weasel! (Though I don't know, that may be for a longer trip? Mine is only 16 hours)

max patch
11-12-2009, 11:19
I've taken the Crescent (which is what Shelter Leopard will be on) up and down the east coast several times. If you can afford it, the sleeper is well worth taking. Unfortunately, the Club Car that Weasel mentions is not offered on the Crescent.

white_russian
11-12-2009, 11:21
The Coast Starlight is the only train they have with the extra club car for sleeper class. None of the other trains have it.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 11:23
Oh well- I'm psyched about the sleeper train/ etc... I'm actually getting really psyched about having the room all to myself now... I LOVE trains. Thank you all for your advice, conclusion= keeping the room all to myself. (Does that mean I get two dinners and two breakfasts???)

The Weasel
11-12-2009, 12:35
When all is factored in, the train isn't a bad alternative in terms of time, and it's cost competitive. You end up closer to both starting and arrival points on this trip, I think (NYC-Gainesville), with far shorter "check-in" times. Less hassle (even with kind shuttle people) and shorter time to get to Springer. Amtrak is doing pretty good these days in 'on time' performance, and anyone who has flown from JFK or LGA knows there are real risks there, too. A rough guess for someone in NYC would be 1 hr to get to the airport, check-in 2 hours before depart, flight 2 hrs, 1 hr to get luggage and be at curb on arrival, 3 hrs from ATL to Gainesville (assuming a meal stop). That's 9 hrs, which means a full day is killed; half of the train is sleeping time that might as well be there as anywhere. So on time, it's about a wash.

On cost, $320 from NYC to GA is a bargain on the train: Air is gonna be about $200, plus the cost of getting to the airport (for someone) of $50 in gas and car cost. Shuttle from ATL to Amicolala is gonna be $50 or so. Eats for a trip like that are gonna be $20 or more. Train, even with the single person in the roomette, is cheaper.

As for 2 dinners/breakfasts, not sure about that...but most AmTrak trains the meals are anything you want to order, without worrying about price. Worth a call, maybe!

Worth a thought: The train means starting a thru with a lot smaller carbon footprint.

Yeah, I'm an AmFan.

TW

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 12:42
A rough guess for someone in NYC would be 1 hr to get to the airport, check-in 2 hours before depart, flight 2 hrs, 1 hr to get luggage and be at curb on arrival, 3 hrs from ATL to Gainesville (assuming a meal stop). That's 9 hrs, which means a full day is killed; half of the train is sleeping time that might as well be there as anywhere. So on time, it's about a wash.

I just love trains. In general, AND they aren't nearly as affected by the weather as planes, and they're simpler, much less security and difficulties, good food, able to walk around, good scenery, I could go on.

And as for time, I'm from New Jersey, so I can take a train straight to Penn Station (about half an hour) from a station about 15 minutes away from me, as opposed to driving to the airport, which is about two hours and not a fun drive.

max patch
11-12-2009, 12:42
Worth a thought: The train means starting a thru with a lot smaller carbon footprint.

TW

Nah, the train and the plane are both leaving regardless of whether SL is on one of them or not. No green impact.

XCskiNYC
11-12-2009, 12:54
Really? Bummer- I guess I'll just keep it all to myself. (The roomette is $200, the ticket is something like $120, so the total as about $320)

So, never mind everyone! I'm keeping the room all to myself.

And I'd rather take the train. Airplanes are awesome, but somehow I feel that a train is the best way to start my trip- and my favorite way to travel.

Thanks XC!

I love trains, especially the magic of going to sleep somewhere and waking up somewhere else. Even sleeping on a seat on Train 66 (used to be the Night Owl back when the trains had names and not just numbers) and waking up in Boston.

Amtrak used to have such an awesome deal, the All Aboard America tickets. They divided the country into three zones, basically west coat, rockies/center/east coast and you could do one zone for $200, two for $250, or three for $300. Plus, you got to get off at three points. If you were into train travel it could make a great itinerary. I used mine pretty much to go to California, visit my brother in San Diego, travel in Mexico, and come back. Didn't even use up all the stops. But one older gentleman I met heading eastbound in NM was making a circle of the entire country.

Apparently Amtrak has a bit more demand now for its seats so they don't have this fantastic offer but you can still go cross-country for not too much. They also have passes which they'll only sell to non-U.S. citizens. That's not so great.

Anyway, have a great hike. Keep up with the exercise. Hit that trail like a Leopard!

Alligator
11-12-2009, 12:56
I just love trains. In general, AND they aren't nearly as affected by the weather as planes, and they're simpler, much less security and difficulties, good food, able to walk around, good scenery, I could go on.

And as for time, I'm from New Jersey, so I can take a train straight to Penn Station (about half an hour) from a station about 15 minutes away from me, as opposed to driving to the airport, which is about two hours and not a fun drive.Just route through Trenton or Philly the train is just going to be coming back that way anyway from Penn Station heading south:sun.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 13:00
Thanks XC! And that does sound like a good deal- occasionally they try to promote train travel in an off season and do something a little bit like that, but nothing as good as what you mention. (Cross country for $300? And you can get off at three stops? Neat.)

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 13:02
And gator- I'd rather be on the train from the very first station- just how I am! (And I love long train travel, I don't want to shorten it at all)

Alligator
11-12-2009, 13:22
And gator- I'd rather be on the train from the very first station- just how I am! (And I love long train travel, I don't want to shorten it at all)Well you do have a roomette so it should be comfy. Enjoy.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 13:30
I will! Thanks.

The Weasel
11-12-2009, 13:42
Nah, the train and the plane are both leaving regardless of whether SL is on one of them or not. No green impact.

Actually, not true literally or figuratively: The carbon cost of hauling about 200 lbs of hiker and pack by air from LGA to ATL will be more than it is by rail. Every bit helps. But on a 'paying it forward' basis, the more ridership that Amtrak has, the more efficient it will be; the fewer riders the air system has, the lower the carbon print. And ridership, for a lot of reasons is down in the air system.

And gator- I'd rather be on the train from the very first station- just how I am! (And I love long train travel, I don't want to shorten it at all)

I agree. That's Pennysylvania Station? Track 29? Boy, you can even get a shine! (Hey. That rhymes. I wonder if it would make a song....)

A few other thoughts:

Sign up for "Amtrak Rewards". It's not a bad deal, and you can get points from other train travel and other partners. A long trip gets you a bunch.

MUST DO: check out the discounts, which are significant. Seniors (me, not you) over 62 get 15% off. AAA has discount (10%?) and there are good student discounts too (15%) as well as for Vets/Military.

Check the "deals" tab at Amtrak.com before buying. They have specials that are worth it.

Don't leave money/valuables/expensive electronics in your roomette; the doors don't lock. Use a stuff sack as a 'purse' to carry with you if you tour the train.

Just looked at The Crescent and it has "Viewliner" sleeping cars. Looks like they have in-cabin toilets (trains out west here don't) and say "1-2 suitcases." That may mean they are a little larger and can hold your packs without using the upper bunk. Page to look at is: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/AM_Accommodation_C/1241210576303/1237405732517

TW

Alligator
11-12-2009, 13:50
Just a reminder this forum has a white background like Straight Forward. Debating carbon footprints is off topic.

The Weasel
11-12-2009, 14:04
SL:

Hope you'll forgive me showering you with posts, but I'm impressed that someone is going to take the NYC run on Amtrak to start their thru....

To keep your cost down, consider listing the roomette on Craigslist, at a discount. With care (!!!) you may find someone willing to take the trip same day, and you can certainly use the money elsewhere. Second option, and also possible (I think): When you board, tell the conductor AND the car attendant that you're willing to accept a roomie if there is someone in coach who wants to upgrade. Not sure how the money thing would work, but it's possible, maybe.

TW

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 14:44
Nothing to forgive- all your posts have been very helpful! I may do option two and try to find a roommate on board (after I see the room), but I may also keep the room all to myself and kick back and relax!

And I'm kind of surprised that more people don't take a train down to Georgia- I feel like a train trip will be a really good way to start my trip, and economical, and easy. I can't wait!

The Weasel
11-12-2009, 15:42
Good luck, Alice!

TW

white_russian
11-12-2009, 21:17
Just looked at The Crescent and it has "Viewliner" sleeping cars. Looks like they have in-cabin toilets (trains out west here don't) and say "1-2 suitcases." That may mean they are a little larger and can hold your packs without using the upper bunk. Page to look at is: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/AM_Accommodation_C/1241210576303/1237405732517

TW
The viewliners have a luggage space in the room above the hallway. You shouldn't need to use the upper bunk as storage on a viewliner.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 21:24
Thanks Russ!

YoungMoose
11-13-2009, 09:51
Does anyone know of any trains other then amtrak that goes across the united states. Becuae i have enough money to pay for my family to go from new york to yellowstone. I am just wondering if htere are any other trains.

white_russian
11-13-2009, 10:03
Does anyone know of any trains other then amtrak that goes across the united states. Becuae i have enough money to pay for my family to go from new york to yellowstone. I am just wondering if htere are any other trains.
Nope. Amtrak was created because rail travel was dying out and became unprofitable.

The Weasel
11-13-2009, 10:20

Yes, there are many, including one route that will get you very close to Yellowstone and take you to the park itself by Amtrak's Bus Connector. Others go to Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles along famous routes, through wild desert and alone mountain passes through the Rockies. To find out more, go to Amtrak.com and look at "Routes".

TW

mister pooh
11-13-2009, 11:17
One of my favorite memories is when I was first stationed in San Diego and took the Coast Starlight to visit my grandmother in Seattle. It was my first time on the West Coast, and I just sat in the observation car astounded. Since Amtrak has to yield right of way to freight trains in many places, we ended up 6 hours behind schedule north of Oakland, which allowed us to go past Mt. Shasta at daybreak. It was incredible!

Good luck on the Crescent!

The Weasel
11-13-2009, 11:50
So you know, Crescent...

The Starlight is now Amtrak's premier train. We took it in June from LA/Union Station to Oakland, about an 8 hour trip, and had a roomette so we could use the Club Car (wow!). I figured it would be 5-6 hours late and we'd have extra fun time.

Damn thing was 20 minutes early into its last stop before Oakland and just sat in the station waiting to leav....on time. We had to scramble to finish dinner and get our stuff off as we pulled into Oakland...early.

TW

ShelterLeopard
11-13-2009, 12:02
Darn Amtrak and its efficiency!!!