PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Maps for AT Hikers

The Weasel
10-24-2002, 00:09
I strongly urge anyone who hasn't thought about it to visit the Maptech site about getting their CD-ROM topo maps/guidebook set.

http://www.gps4fun.com/tech_at.html

Here's why, from my perspective:

I'll mildly disagree (and for once, truly toot my horn) with Jack, and suggest that I've probably dealt with maps - all kinds - as much as (and longer than) Rock, and frequently in situations where more than mere convenience depended on it. That includes, especially, topos and their kin. From my perspective, if you can't use a topo completely, you don't belong in the outback, and if you don't have one with you, you don't belong either. And of all of the maps I've every used for land navigation, the most useful in every possible way was the Maptech series. (I have their complete Michigan State set, showing every bloody foot of the Wolverine State, and I use it constantly for backpacking and other outdoor fun.)

The Maptech AT series is a CD Rom set, and it gives you topos at VERY small scale (i.e., you get to see VERY high detail, such as almost every building that exists within a mile or so of the trail is at least a dot), made from US Geodetic Survey maps. You can make the scale anywhere you want, and print maps of any scale. It shows the AT precisely matching the Guidebook Sections, and provides ALSO a COMPLETE AT Conference guidebook (every single blooming word!) including mileages, details, and all the rest. It's cheaper than the map/guidebook sets, and USEABLE.

I used this on my '00 thru hike, and put section printouts in my mail drops so that I only carried 20-30 pages of maps AND guide pages for each section, total, which weighed LESS than the (useless) AT Conference maps with the pages from the guidebook. It also made having the Data Book unnecessary. As a bonus, there a a few hundred pics of the AT on these disks as well. Since the AT itself is shown on the maps, it also automatically will show you (and allow you to print out, if you want) profiles that are USABLE for each strech, rather than showing 50 miles of "profile" in just an inch or two.

Oh. Since it is made from "official" AT Conference Guidebooks, the ATC makes money on it too. And you save, by not buying a lot of crap you don't need or that isn't useful. Check it out. If you don't like it, I believe they will accept returns. But you won't return it, if you're serious about route planning from day to day. The acid test: Every time I pulled out my pages to plan my day over the shelter breakfast table, everyone else put away their "Official" AT maps and borrowed mine.

The Weasel

Hammock Hanger
10-24-2002, 08:31
I have the Maptech CD's for the Adirondacks, as i worked there. The maps and how I could personalize the info was great. It is a bit pricey but is a great idea for an AT Thru-hike. HH

Kerosene
10-24-2002, 10:20
Any feel for how up-to-date the underlying topographical data is? I know that some of the printed USGS topo maps can be decades old. This won't really impact the elevation, but certainly the man-made landmarks, such as buildings, roads, antenna towers, etc., change over time.

chief
10-24-2002, 11:08
well, i'm not gonna toot anyone's horn. it's just my opinion that you've missed the entire intent of the ATC map sets. i feel certain they were never intended to depict every foot of the AT in the kind of detail you seem to need or want. they do however allow a hiker a very good overview of his route, with all the info he/she should need, for example, to get to the nearest town or at least a road. just as jack tarlin described.

ATC maps are decidedly not "useless" and it's a diservice to everyone ot say they are.

i would suggest a custom printed set of topo series maps are very much overkill for the AT, but hey, each to his own.

ok, i will toot my own horn. for 26 years, i've navigated commercial ships around the world using charts (maps), dead reckoning, celestial sights, satnav, GPS, you name it. should i carry a sextant with me in 2003?

chief
10-24-2002, 11:57
and furthermore...

i get a little irate when i read someone saying, in essence, "if you don't do it my way, then you don't belong on the trail". hike yer own hike, pal!

chris
10-24-2002, 12:23
Well, I don't Weasal meant this in a dogmatic sort of way. I like maps, and carried them this spring, but don't think they are necessary outside of the northern reaches of the AT.

The Weasel
10-24-2002, 12:33
Chief ---

I'm sorry for the way I came across on the need for maps, and the importance of knowing how to use them. I agree...people should hike their own hike. But it frankly scares me - a lot - that people say, "I don't need a map" or "I don't need to know how to use one" because "I'll just follow the blazes." That's dangerous, and my point is that it's just as irresponsible to go on the trail without maps - whether detailed or the more general AT ones - as it is to go up Mt Washington or Katadin without checking the weather and gearing accordingly. I've seen people lost on the trail, and I've seen people in dangerous situations who couldn't figure out the shortest or fastest way to safety, all due to the lack of a map or knowing how to use it. From your experience I can see you know what I mean...from navigating from charts (and I've done ocean navigation, too), I doubt that you would go anywhere without a current chart, even if you were totally familiar with the location. No, you don't need a sextant, or even a GPS, on the trail. But yes, you need maps. We don't disagree.

So I really AM sorry for the phrasing...and I apologize to you (or others) who feel similarly.

chief
10-24-2002, 15:58
no apologies necessary.

Hikerhead
10-24-2002, 19:11
I personally like the ATC maps. They tell you the basics of where you are and where you need to go. They show shelters, springs, road crossing, mileage, trail profiles. However, they could be maybe a little more accurate on their profiles. Like that flat line you see across the top of Peters Mtn in Va, don't believe it.

But they also add a lot of other helpful info.

What they don't show is what's 10 miles off either side of the trail. And that's understandable. Folks, there's only so much room.

What I like in conjuntion with the ATC maps are the maps put out by the National Geographic Society.

They show a bigger area with all the towns and roads and an added plus for section hikers or weekend warriors, they show ALL the other trails that you might not have even known were out there. You can get these at most outfitters. They have a yellow background, on the same water resistant paper and cost around $10.00.

Do it your way or no way.