PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in the Olympics?

SavageLlama
08-19-2004, 10:48
Sadly, no.

But how sweet would it be to see Cave Dog go toe-to-toe with other speed hikers in an olympic event?

A-Train
08-19-2004, 10:56
I'm in Athens right now, working at the Olympics-but sadly not hiking in the Olympic mountains. I had to settle for Lykavittas Hill, the highest point in the city, with a 360 degree view including a front row seat of the Acropolis

SavageLlama
08-19-2004, 13:45
The Seattle Times has a column about hiking in the olympics..
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/2002008972_nwwramblings190.html

Trail running could totally be an Olympic sport.. it would definitely be better than speed walking, which is totally gay.

Jaybird
08-19-2004, 14:21
i recently participated in the TN SENIOR OLYMPICS GAMES in CLarksville,TN & they (& least for now...) dont have "SPEED HIKING"...so, i had to settle for CYCLING events.....oh well, its good for the knees...to help my hikin'! :D

Blue Jay
08-19-2004, 14:42
First you say you want to see Cave Dog in the Olympics, then you say Race Walking is gay. Do you like race walking or not, make up your mind. :banana

hiker5
08-19-2004, 15:33
Perhaps hiking doesn't belong in the Olympics because it’s not a sport. Obviously it is an athletic activity, but I don't think that is enough to make it a sport.

On second thought maybe it should be a judged event like diving or figure skating. Competitors could be judged on the categories such as:

-wildlife interaction (provoking bears would be a deduction of course)
-ability to cope with weather
-comfort to weight ratio of gear
-quality of vistas visited
-nap locations
-blister prevention
-camp cuisine

maybe miles covered could be a tie breaker :D

hiker5
08-19-2004, 15:50
I should add LNT as a category too.

SavageLlama
08-19-2004, 17:16
First you say you want to see Cave Dog in the Olympics, then you say Race Walking is gay. Do you like race walking or not, make up your mind. :banana
Speed walking is much different than full out running over mountains. At least in my book.

Mountain Dew
08-19-2004, 18:35
A-Train... How in the heck did you get a job in Athens ? :-?

steve hiker
08-19-2004, 19:40
When you say Olympics, I think Washington State. I went hiking in the Hoh Rain Forest in December a couple of years ago. It was totally cool, especially since the snow level dropped under 1,000 feet while I was along the Hoh River. Being from Louisiana, I'd never seen anything like it in my life. Not just the snow (I'd seen snow before), but the setting. It put Christmas cards to shame.

Also the waterfalls are wild, shooting out from the mountains unlike the placid falls in most of the East. If you get a chance to go out there, do it.

SavageLlama
08-20-2004, 12:29
Speaking of the Olympics.. Backpacker has a good article on how olympic athletes train.

Abby Wambach of the female olympic soccer team plans to solo hike the AT..

http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,7665__1_3,00.html