PDA

View Full Version : What do you want for Christmas or new products?

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2009, 20:21
Well this is quite common and fun.. the hardest part is seeing something new that might be better than what you had before that might for-fill a need. Or what will you ask relatives to get you for Christmas or Hanukkah. Maybe there is innovative or UL that is worth dumping the old and replacing with something better..... Wide open here.

Pacific Tortuga
11-11-2009, 21:27
Lean times for many of my family members. I'm renting a cabin in Big Bear and just have some good food, drink, games and snow.
A good time for not wanting but being thankful for what we have.
I'm not religous, just spiritual but wish Nikki and Jesus a happy birthday.

My "Christmas" comes with my REI dividend check, SCORE !

gravy4601
11-11-2009, 21:54
ive been looking at some -0 sleeping bags there kinda expensive ive seen them from 150-600 $ dependin on make hopefuly santa thanks ive been good lol

nox
11-11-2009, 22:12
I'm not picky. I'll be happy with whatever you decide to buy me.. haha

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2009, 22:51
Lean times for many of my family members. I'm renting a cabin in Big Bear and just have some good food, drink, games and snow.

Renting a cabin for the holidays is an excellent idea, I wish you all the best, and I hope the family appreciates the effort.

Tipi Walter
11-11-2009, 22:53
I'd like to have about 3 weeks to go out and pull Christmas and the New Year in the woods.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 00:04
I'm asking for a Women's Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 degree down bag, fuel canisters, some esbit, and a canon powershot camera. We'll see how that works out...

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 00:05
Tortuga sounds like he's got a good Christmas planned...

Outrider
11-12-2009, 00:19
Would like Uncle Sam to decide to send me home early from Iraq so I can spend Christmas with my family.

Well, wishful thinking! LOL I would like The Packa.

http://www.thepacka.com/

harryfred
11-12-2009, 01:59
An svea 123 I want to do more overnights in the colder months. I can get my homemade alkys to work in the 20's but it is a complicated process, and it uses a lot of fuel.

white_russian
11-12-2009, 11:18
Lots of smartwool socks

mister krabs
11-12-2009, 11:47
I'd like a quilt

mister krabs
11-12-2009, 11:53
oops, don't know how I did that, was going to say I'd like a quilt by tim marshall http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/ I'll have to get that one for myself, but I've asked for a land's end gift card to get one of their snowpack700 jackets.

Spokes
11-12-2009, 11:54
Hmmm, let's see.............something to remove bark from small wet kindling?

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 12:08
Ha- I just read that same post spokes. (And I do use knives to remove bark from small wet kindling)

I love Christmas. (And I love brand new gear!!! :D )

Ladytrekker
11-12-2009, 12:35

Amen, my family is doing the same this year, we are not exchanging any gifts. We are going to gather as a family have a great dinner and just be thankful for what we have. No guilt, no cheap gifts, and no maxed out credit cards. I feel released. I have gotten to where I hate Christmas.

but I do love new hiking gadgets.

Jayboflavin04
11-12-2009, 13:22
Merimo Wool long underwear. I would like the zip top.

XCskiNYC
11-12-2009, 13:26
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1.

If the elves haven't made enough of those, maybe a Gossamer Gear The One plus a walking stick (or the optional 3.1-oz pole).

Buzz_Lightfoot
11-12-2009, 13:48
All I want is a winning lottery ticket so I can say goodbye to my mind-numbing, soul-sucking job and do a thru.

lazy river road
11-12-2009, 14:04
Outrider hope you get your wish (to get home to your family) be safe over their.....And wise old owl thanks for including Hanukkah. And for Hanukkah on night

1. WBBB double 1.7
2. Superfly
3. Yeti
4. Mt. Wash tq
5. Katadyn hiker pro filter
6. Leatherman Wave
7. Arc' teryx Rain gear
8. For the trails to stay safe and clean :)

Alligator
11-12-2009, 14:06
Santa, I'd like a pair of insulated pants to replace my 200wt fleece ones.

TOW
11-12-2009, 21:12
Well this is quite common and fun.. the hardest part is seeing something new that might be better than what you had before that might for-fill a need. Or what will you ask relatives to get you for Christmas or Hanukkah. Maybe there is innovative or UL that is worth dumping the old and replacing with something better..... Wide open here.Here is a great product, I have one of these that I have clipped to my hat all the time and they are always ready for a quick light.....http://newlite.com/catpage/cliplight.html

You will not be sorry if you get one or give one for Christmas. I have had mine in the pouring rain and it never shorted out, in fact I am told by the distributor for the southeastern United States that if you emerge it water it will stay lit for about fifteen minutes and then all you have to do is lay it out in the sun and it will dry out and recharge and light right back up. And it even charges up on a cloudy day, not as good though.

Oklahoma
11-12-2009, 21:29
How about a sherpa? He dosent even have to be a brand new. I would be willing to accept a older used model with bad eyesight and poor hearing. as long as he is able to carry my pack for me and have my tent set up for me and have coffee ready before I wake up and carry me over water crossings when its cold and rub my feet while I eat my 3 course meal (these guys can carry alot of weight so why skimp on the food weight).

Blissful
11-12-2009, 21:47
I just told my hubby yesterday as a matter of fact -

one of those AT necklaces ATC sells :)
new precip rain pants to replace my old ones

I do need a new pack eventually too - but waiting on that one -

Connie
11-12-2009, 23:04
I was thinking about a husband, who shares my interests.

The Sherpa idea sounds pretty good.

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2009, 07:40

They are out there - they are the ones that post on couple websites, that say "likes to take long walks" - which other girls interpret as "equipment no longer works....":rolleyes::-?

JokerJersey
11-18-2009, 08:12
While my family and I stopped exchanging gifts a long time ago once we all came to the realization that we didn't believe in what we were celebrating, I wouldn't mind if a pair of Leki's fell down my chimney...erm...heat vent. :D

LimpsAlong
11-18-2009, 10:03
Would like Uncle Sam to decide to send me home early from Iraq so I can spend Christmas with my family.

OK, I can't get him home to his family but I will kick in $20 to get this soldier a Packa. Who's with me? Any other vets feel the need to show our appreciation for the current watch standers?

chiefduffy
11-18-2009, 17:20
OK, I can't get him home to his family but I will kick in $20 to get this soldier a Packa. Who's with me? Any other vets feel the need to show our appreciation for the current watch standers?

I'm in, LimpsAlong. PM me details (when you have them).

-Duffy

LimpsAlong
11-18-2009, 17:51
Thanks Chief,
I'll wait a few days maybe a week for all to get on board then get it rolling. I'll buy it, post pics then send it to his house or overseas, whatever he wants. I've seen too many giving all they've got not to do a little something for a fellow soldier/hiker.
If there are not enough "givers" on this board I'll cover whatever difference we need.
Freedom is not free.

sbennett
11-18-2009, 18:03
I'm really wanting a ULA Circuit this year! And maybe a new sleeping pad too!

Cedar Tree
11-18-2009, 21:20

You got one Outrider. PM me where you want it sent. I guess you want Army Green? I hope you can get your other wish too. Thanks for your service. Thanks LimpsAlong and ChiefDuffy for being willing to support our troops.
CT

Bags4266
11-18-2009, 21:50

Get a male Sherpa and kill two birds with one stone!http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Dogwood
11-18-2009, 22:56
To donate all my unused and unwanted gear to charity!

Then, find a gift certificate for any two new Western Mountaineering sleeping bags of my choosing and any six new pairs of trail runners!

chiefduffy
11-19-2009, 05:29
You got one Outrider. PM me where you want it sent. I guess you want Army Green? I hope you can get your other wish too. Thanks for your service. Thanks LimpsAlong and ChiefDuffy for being willing to support our troops.
CT

Thanks Cedar Tree - you are awesome. And thank you, Outrider. We're right there with ya in spirit.

-Duffy

Outrider
11-20-2009, 01:33
CT

Thanks Cedar Tree! And thank you too all the others that offered to kick in on one. Nice to know that there are people out there that care for us over here. And thanks to all the ones that have done their time.

It will get some good use come spring time when I get home. My daughters are already talking about me taking them on a trip when I get home.

God Bless everyone and hike a few miles for me this winter.

ShelterLeopard
11-20-2009, 12:36
I was going to do that adopt a soldier thing (where you mail letters and small gifts to a specific soldier) but I wouldn't be able to do that during my thru, so it'll have to wait for next September!

Outrider
11-20-2009, 23:18
I was going to do that adopt a soldier thing (where you mail letters and small gifts to a specific soldier) but I wouldn't be able to do that during my thru, so it'll have to wait for next September!

ShelterLeopard,

You could still adopt a soldier while on your thru. Sending packages would be hard but you could still send letters. I think that is something that has been lost in todays age of computers, email, facebook and all. A letter over here can mean just as much as a box full of food and snacks. I am sure there would be soldiers over here that would love to get letters about your thru hike. Something to think about.

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 10:17
ShelterLeopard,

You could still adopt a soldier while on your thru. Sending packages would be hard but you could still send letters. I think that is something that has been lost in todays age of computers, email, facebook and all. A letter over here can mean just as much as a box full of food and snacks. I am sure there would be soldiers over here that would love to get letters about your thru hike. Something to think about.

I thought about it, but I want to have no committments on my thru- I protests (inside, of course) about mailing postcards while I'm hiking, sometimes!

randyg45
11-21-2009, 12:23
I'm in for $20. Just PM me an email address so I can do the Paypal thing.

skinewmexico
11-21-2009, 12:41

Work that right, you could get both! And oddly enough, I can't think of a single piece of gear I want.

Rowdy Yates
11-21-2009, 13:13
I'll be happy with whatever I get but I REALLY, REALLY want a SMD Lunar Solo. I have tried real hard to be good this year, so ..........

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 13:16
My christmas list is already a bit expensive, but Santa, if you happen to have an extar size regular neoair...

LimpsAlong
11-23-2009, 08:33
CT
Cedar Tree, send me a bill. I've got 4 of us that want to be a part of this. If you want to contribute then do a discount but don't carry the whole load.
But God bless you for your generosity.

Cedar Tree
11-23-2009, 11:26
I've already taken care of it. There is no need to pay me. Maybe you could donate your part to the ATC in memory of George Ziegenfuss. I appreciate your support of our Troops.
Cedar Tree

ShelterLeopard
11-23-2009, 11:31
Cedar Tree, you're awesome.

Plodderman
11-23-2009, 14:28
New pair of trail runners.

Rowdy Yates
11-25-2009, 13:30
I'll be happy with whatever I get but I REALLY, REALLY want a SMD Lunar Solo. I have tried real hard to be good this year, so ..........

:confused: Anyone know if, when and where the Lunar Solo might goon sale for Christmas? Hopefully Santa reads the WB Forums.

Chance09
11-25-2009, 14:06
Last Xmas it was on sale on their website. Thats when i got mine. I think it was 20% off.

Blissful
11-25-2009, 15:25
I just told my hubby yesterday as a matter of fact -

one of those AT necklaces ATC sells :)
new precip rain pants to replace my old ones

I do need a new pack eventually too - but waiting on that one -

Got my AT necklace for my 20th wedding anniversary on Nov 18th. Forget the diamonds and stuff... :D

And earlier this fall, got myself a MSR hubba.

Summit
11-25-2009, 16:55
I want an Integral Designs eVent hiker's jacket @ only $260. That's just pennies apiece if all you WBers pitch in a buy me one! :D

Not Sunshine
11-25-2009, 16:59
Montbell Thermawrap Jacket.

LimpsAlong
11-27-2009, 10:00
It blows my mind that this thread has been going for a couple of weeks and so few replies were made to Outriders post. Here we have a soldier posting about wanting to be home for Christmas and I had 3 (THREE!) replies to an offer to buy him a Packa! The owner, Cedar Tree, sent him one for free. I offered to help him with the expense but he declined. What a patriot, and real man!
My bet is that if a collection was being taken up to save some endangered plant or fish the response would have been a little more energetic. This just solidifies my perception of Americans in general. Too self absorbed, too unaware about world politics and too da#n unappreciative of the sacrifices made by others on THEIR behalf.
Outrider, if you read this just know on Thanksgiving yesterday my family gave thanks for our soldiers at the gate and we pray for a safe and quick reunion with between ya'll and your families.
Thank you ALL for your sacrifice.
And for you who could not find time to give Outrider a word of encouragement or thanks maybe it's time for a little reflection!

ShelterLeopard
11-27-2009, 14:58
Limps along, I know this may not sound nice, but that is not what this post or site is about. Personally, I don't want to see people asking for donations for soldiers or endangered animals here on whiteblaze. Sure, maybe the ATC or whiteblaze itself, to keep things going, but they at least have to do with hiking.

I donate anually to several charities of my choice, and I wouldn't be surprised if others here do too, so maybe you shouldn't be surprised if people aren't jumping to give money to buy a packa for a soldier. I donate other things to the army already anyway.

And I'd appreciate it if you stop trying to guilt trip us, thanks.

Wise Old Owl
11-27-2009, 15:26
Limps Along I share your thoughts, but this is the internet and I think you are expecting something that just doesn't occur too often on any blog/website. This thread was about what we wish for, not that its going to happen. I ask for several things every year with a wide price assortment and pretty much get zip, and end up picking it up over the next year myself. I appreciate you trying to help out a soldier, I too hope he's home for Christmas.

ShelterLeopard
11-27-2009, 15:51
I do want to say (I re-read my post and it sounded a little mean) I too, appreciate what you're trying to do.

LimpsAlong
11-27-2009, 16:07
I read your replies and want to assure you I'm not trying to/nor do I want to see this site turned into a focal point for donations. And I was not saying no one here does not give freely of their bounty. I was saying I was suprised that Outriders situation did not elict more compassion or well-wishes from the board members.
After a little reflection of my own I think I'll handle the situation much as Cedar Tree did next time. I'll do as I'm led and not try to involve others in my particular endevour.
I did not mean to sound angry, oh well, yes I did. My family, extended family and close friends are well invested in our current military struggle and I guess I just transferred some of that concern to my post.
Thanks for the input, it made me think.
Enjoy your turkey sandwiches!

Wags
11-27-2009, 23:25
and cooler heads prevail

Elder
11-27-2009, 23:49
and cooler heads prevail

:D Now we are back to wishing! :rolleyes:

Outrider
11-28-2009, 00:55
It blows my mind that this thread has been going for a couple of weeks and so few replies were made to Outriders post. Here we have a soldier posting about wanting to be home for Christmas and I had 3 (THREE!) replies to an offer to buy him a Packa! The owner, Cedar Tree, sent him one for free. I offered to help him with the expense but he declined. What a patriot, and real man!
My bet is that if a collection was being taken up to save some endangered plant or fish the response would have been a little more energetic. This just solidifies my perception of Americans in general. Too self absorbed, too unaware about world politics and too da#n unappreciative of the sacrifices made by others on THEIR behalf.
Outrider, if you read this just know on Thanksgiving yesterday my family gave thanks for our soldiers at the gate and we pray for a safe and quick reunion with between ya'll and your families.
Thank you ALL for your sacrifice.
And for you who could not find time to give Outrider a word of encouragement or thanks maybe it's time for a little reflection!

LimpsAlong,
I really appreciate the very kind gesture! It is nice to know that there are people back at home looking out for all of us over here. But I would not get up set for lack of response. I agree with the others, that was not the topic of the post. Like many others, I don’t do this job to get praise or anything like that. What Cedar Tree did, and the others offered was awesome. That is what makes this country great; the freedom to make your own choices. That includes the choice not to support service members for whatever reason. Americans have had that freedom since the birth of this nation. They have had that freedom because of the men and women that have made the decision to serve this country. The fact that people still have that freedom tells me that we have been doing our job and doing it well. That alone is the best present anyone should want this year. To be able to celebrate this time of year for whatever reason you want. I know I can’t be there with my wife and daughters this year; but knowing that they will be able to wake up Christmas morning safe and sound in a free country makes my heart warm and is all I can ask for this year.
God Bless everyone and Merry Christmas; and let us get back to the topic of this thread. I want to see what everyone else wants so I can get some ideas of new gear when I get home.

58starter
11-28-2009, 18:51
Delorme P-40

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2009, 19:19
New pair of trail runners.

I was thinking the same thing a pair of waterproof Solomons.;)

mudhead
11-28-2009, 20:22
A tent made of Unobtanium.

JoshStover
11-28-2009, 21:33
I just got my whole REI wishlist yesterday when my and my fiance went yesterday! She is soo amazing and soo supportive of my hike! She is either very supportive or she really wants to get rid of me for a few months. I havent qutie figured it out just yet...

LimpsAlong
11-30-2009, 14:22
LimpsAlong,
That includes the choice not to support service members for whatever reason. Americans have had that freedom since the birth of this nation. They have had that freedom because of the men and women that have made the decision to serve this country. The fact that people still have that freedom tells me that we have been doing our job and doing it well.
God Bless everyone and Merry Christmas; and let us get back to the topic of this thread. I want to see what everyone else wants so I can get some ideas of new gear when I get home.

Thank you Outrider. My point exactly. Stay safe.
And Shelter Leopard, I re-read your post #54. With all due respect sir, your thinking is 180 out from mine.

Chaco Taco
11-30-2009, 19:59
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301289

Foyt20
11-30-2009, 20:16
Thank you Outrider. My point exactly. Stay safe.
And Shelter Leopard, I re-read your post #54. With all due respect sir, your thinking is 180 out from mine.

I think shelterleopard is a ma'am.

And it was a good thing you were doing LA. You heart is in the right place. ;)

kanga
11-30-2009, 20:24
i'll match your $20.

kanga
11-30-2009, 20:25
CT
nevermind. cedar tree, you're awesome!

kanga
11-30-2009, 20:34
oh, and i want a neoair. i'm sick of listening to skids gloat.

ShelterLeopard
11-30-2009, 23:45

And it was a good thing you were doing LA. You heart is in the right place. ;)

Quite right.

And I do think what you were/are trying to do is nice.

LimpsAlong
12-01-2009, 07:57
My apologies ShLep. Was not aware of your gender.
Thanks for the kind words and deeds Kanga and Foyt20.

Chaco Taco
12-01-2009, 08:56
My apologies ShLep. Was not aware of your gender.
Thanks for the kind words and deeds Kanga and Foyt20.

Alright now, ya'll kiss and make up:D

wattson
12-19-2009, 08:49
Hello,

I am a guitarist and still learning, I was in need of guitar to learn it well.At present I am learning guitar on my friend guitar who is living with me in my room.I wish I would have one guitar of my own.And for this reason i want guitar for Christmas.

DanaMac
12-19-2009, 11:53
I'm wanting a 20 to 30 degree down sleeping bag. my 0 degree synthetic Sierra Designs is too bulky and heavy. But I love it regardless. Never been cold using it.

ShelterLeopard
12-19-2009, 12:04
I have a zero synthetic Sierra Designs- definitely heavy and bulky. I'm hoping for a down 15 degree sleeping bag, either Mountain HArdwear Phantom, or Marmot Helium. C'mon, Santa!

And Santa, if you have a spare neo air...

Zoooma
12-19-2009, 17:47
All i want for Christmas is for people to sacrifice some beers or a pizza or going to the movies now and then and instead give that money to a non-profit organization that helps people in need. I've gotta believe that everyone typing here and reading this can surely do something above what they might normally do :sun

ShelterLeopard
12-19-2009, 20:25
Some of us already do.

gunner76
12-19-2009, 22:05
For hikers to have a great time on their hikes

vonfrick
12-19-2009, 22:41
Lots of smartwool socks

you can't have any, santa is bringing them all to me!! :banana

saimyoji
12-19-2009, 22:46
Hello,

I am a guitarist and still learning, I was in need of guitar to learn it well.At present I am learning guitar on my friend guitar who is living with me in my room.I wish I would have one guitar of my own.And for this reason i want guitar for Christmas.

i hope you get it. did you write santa a letter asking him? :sun

vonfrick
12-19-2009, 22:47
i hope you get it. did you write santa a letter asking him? :sun

you're going straight to the naughty list

saimyoji
12-19-2009, 22:59
you're going straight to the naughty list

will there be spankings?

vonfrick
12-19-2009, 23:02
will there be spankings?

you'll have to take that up with the monkey

saimyoji
12-19-2009, 23:03
i'll pass. think i'm busy that weekend anyways....

Wise Old Owl
12-19-2009, 23:22
SO was the monkey!

http://www.psychobabyonline.com/site/scpics/tmb/2034/busy_monkeys.jpg

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-19-2009, 23:25
The Packa is cool! That's at the top of my wish list as well! Eddie "Cedar Tree" is working with me now to get one to fit the wacky Mountain Hardware Maestro pack that I sometimes carry. That's the only piece of gear I'm concentrating on - otherwise it's "Peace on the trail (and wherever you live) good will towards men / women" !

Connie
12-20-2009, 00:59
Referring to older posts on the thread, with a the kissing and making up on this thread, are there any older male sherpas? No sherpas? Maybe next year.

ShelterLeopard
12-20-2009, 11:19
Couldn't find a sherpa- I even looked on Amazon and Craigslist... Guess we'll have to wait. :P

Wise Old Owl
12-26-2009, 12:52
Referring to older posts on the thread, with a the kissing and making up on this thread, are there any older male sherpas? No sherpas? Maybe next year.

Well Connie, at 48 I might qualify.........Everything is in good working order ...:D