PDA

View Full Version : WalMart ripstop, gray in color

cruisaire
11-11-2009, 20:41
Picked up some and did a small cup/water test. It does leak some. Would this material seem to be reasonable for either a quilt or sleeping bag?

Ranc0r
11-11-2009, 21:01
Generally speaking, ripstop is much heavier than breathable nylon, taffeta, or any uncoated garment ny-cloth. Are you looking to MAKE a quilt or bag? I'd be more interested in your insulation choice than WalMart ripstop - YMMV. Speaking of Wally World, did you acquire this material in fabrics, or outdoors/sporting goods? Does it have a weight per yard?

HYOH, MYOG.
Ranc0r

cruisaire
11-11-2009, 21:13
I found it in fabrics, $1.50 per yard. Very slick and fairly light. I don't have a weight on it yet. I'd like to make a cheap, 20 degree quilt. Synthetic insulation is afforable, down might be cost prohibitive.

Ranc0r
11-11-2009, 21:27
Then you are looking at 2" to 3" of synth insulation, quilted or baffled. Primaloft would be my first choice for ease of handling, but there certainly are others. Ripstop nylon - "should" - be a little more rugged than taffeta, but unless you like to sleep with your boots on, I'm not sure I'd take a weight penalty if I could find and avoid it. For 20F, the bulk is penalty enough!

See Ray Jardine's quilt kit, with alpine upgrade -
http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

R~

cruisaire
11-11-2009, 21:45
If I'm hearing correctly, is down being suggested for weight consideration? Sorry but the weight penalty thing confused me.

Manwich
11-11-2009, 23:32
Actually I went to a walmart today and couldnt find it... gonna try a different one tomorrow

Was it in the racks where everythings wrapped around cardboard boxes?

coldspring
11-12-2009, 00:19
I have a little of that material. I saw some at a local Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, and I don't see it often. It's okay, probably not going to be really warm as it doesn't appear to be a very tight weave. I wouldn't use it with down insulation, would probably leak like crazy. If you just want to whip up something with synth on a budget, it would be good to experiment with.

cruisaire
11-12-2009, 07:54
Actually I went to a walmart today and couldnt find it... gonna try a different one tomorrow

Was it in the racks where everythings wrapped around cardboard boxes?

Yep, it was on the 1.50 rack and wrapped around cardboard.

Manwich
11-12-2009, 12:33
Visited 4 walmarts today... (1 of which had no fabrics whatsoever)

Couldn't find any. :-/ I guess ill order online

tammons
11-12-2009, 14:16
I have bought 3 types of gray lately at walmart.

First is 1.4 oz dwr. Its fairly dark. Bought it about 4 mo ago.
Made a summer quilt otu of that.

About 3 weeks ago, I bought some that was 1.1 oz dwr. Sweet. Bought it all. About 12 yards. Lighter gray

Next was 1.6 oz non treated. Middle gray.
Made a 2 layer hammock out of it.

Also got some 1oz olive.

I asked the lady at the counter and she said all these are mill ends and the reason they are usually about 12-15 yds, so you can never tell what you will find.

I want about 12 yards of 1oz silnylon.

cruisaire
11-12-2009, 20:20
I have a little of that material. I saw some at a local Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, and I don't see it often. It's okay, probably not going to be really warm as it doesn't appear to be a very tight weave. I wouldn't use it with down insulation, would probably leak like crazy. If you just want to whip up something with synth on a budget, it would be good to experiment with.

Gotcha, too loose for down.

tammons
11-13-2009, 00:17
Gotcha, too loose for down.

Some is and some isnt.
The 2 DWR ripstops I got would be fine for down.

I got some very light (1oz) olive non treated ripstop.

I originally figured it was chute material, but since I bought an army jacket liner off ebay and that is definately the cloth. Okay for synthetic, not for down.

Texasgirl
11-13-2009, 00:37
Yeah, I bought some of the same greys and greens at Wally World and made random sized stuff sacks, just because, just for fun. Although I felt empowered and smart (right?), the fabric didn't hold back water well enough for my original plans of a poncho. Still very cool material for other gadgets.

Tinker
11-13-2009, 09:58
Generally speaking, ripstop is much heavier than breathable nylon, taffeta, or any uncoated garment ny-cloth. Are you looking to MAKE a quilt or bag? I'd be more interested in your insulation choice than WalMart ripstop - YMMV. Speaking of Wally World, did you acquire this material in fabrics, or outdoors/sporting goods? Does it have a weight per yard?

Btw: Yes, if the fabric is not watertight it would be fine for a sleeping bag. If you're making your own you can utilize different weight fabrics to increase wear resistance underneath and minimize weight on top.

HYOH, MYOG.
Ranc0r

My spinnaker cloth hammock tarp is a ripstop weave, less than one ounce per yard before coating. My silnylon tent fabric is 1.1 oz. before coating.
Ripstop nylon of the '70s and '80s generally was 1.9 oz. and was polyurethane coated. Taffeta garments which I've owned in the past were generally 2.2 oz. per square yard.
Ripstop refers to the weave, every so often a thicker thread is woven into the cloth to make it more resistant to tearing.

Rain Man
11-13-2009, 10:53
Actually I went to a walmart today and couldnt find it... gonna try a different one tomorrow.

Jo Ann's Fabrics carries rip-stop nylon in several colors. Just note it is not sil-nylon, so not waterproof.

Rain:sunMan

Manwich
11-13-2009, 11:02
Jo Ann's Fabrics carries rip-stop nylon in several colors. Just note it is not sil-nylon, so not waterproof.

i guess I don't need my hammock project to be waterproof.... just the tarp for it.

Rain Man
11-13-2009, 12:17
i guess I don't need my hammock project to be waterproof.... just the tarp for it.

In fact, you probably do NOT want your hammock to be water proof. In warm weather that'd be awfully icky, sticky, and sweaty wet.

ZeroC
11-15-2009, 14:24
I saw some Gray ripstop at walmart. but couldn't really tell what it was though. It was very light and slick. It was marked as "assorted promo fabric".

sclittlefield
11-19-2009, 15:03
I saw some Gray ripstop at walmart. but couldn't really tell what it was though. It was very light and slick. It was marked as "assorted promo fabric".

The "very light and slick" gray ripstop at Walmart is almost always 1.1oz with a thick DWR coating. Good stuff for lots of projects - if you make gear, buy it all up while you can - you'll never beat the price and Walmarts across the country are getting rid of their fabric departments.

It is extremely rare that it's silnylon, but some folks have reported finding some there (though, truth be told, they often later find out it was just DWR when they get more familiar with silnylon) - but don't rule it out.