PDA

View Full Version : Sobo 2010?

ogmandoog
11-11-2009, 21:34
anybody plan on leaving from maine to georgia around 6/10?

Dirty Harry
11-12-2009, 15:32
I'm trying to get my girlfriend to leave around that time. Last year alot of the sobos where bitchin about the rain and bugs. It seemed people leaving later then june where having a much better time thru the 100 mile.

a_tigger
11-22-2009, 17:41
I hoping to be starting in Maine on or about June 15th

Sallymon
12-07-2009, 23:30
I would like to start mid-June 2010 also. Is anyone looking for a partner here? Or just soloing it?

Sallymon
12-07-2009, 23:40
Oh, also, is now too late to plan for a Sobo 2010? I HOPE NOT!

Fatman Running
12-08-2009, 11:05
Best time to begin a southbound thru-hike from Maine is no earlier than mid-May, and even then, you will run into a few patches of snow in the higher elevations like the Bigelows, Spaulding Mtn, Saddleback, etc. Major problem, especially if we get a lot of rain in May (and we do) is the high runoff from snow melt that causes the rivers and streams to be extremely difficult, if not impossible to ford. Maine has a "no bridging policy", so the majority of the water crossings are fords. I have seen many times being turned back on a hike due to high water. Streams become raging rivers and rivers non-negotiable. June 1 is a good start time, but then you are plagued by the black flies which last all of June until they are driven out by the hordes of mosquitoes which stick around, but are outnumbered by deer flies which will test your level of sanity. Another reason to start after June is that most maintainers can't get out to work their sections due to late snow, washed out logging roads they use to access their sections or because it rains every weekend! Until all the blowdowns are cleared out, travelling the Trail in Maine is difficult at best. Southbound hikes are tougher, both physically and mentally, but hiking with the hordes headed North can be a challenge in itself.

Sgt Pepper
12-12-2009, 22:42
I hope to leave early June. Hopefully the first week, but no set date right now.

TJ aka Teej
12-13-2009, 14:50
anybody plan on leaving from maine to georgia around 6/10?

Hi, and Welcome to WhiteBlaze!
If the trend holds there'll be around 100 ATers heading south into the 100 mile by then. You won't be alone, and will start meeting northbounders sooner than you think.

TJ aka Teej
12-13-2009, 14:57
Oh, also, is now too late to plan for a Sobo 2010? I HOPE NOT!

Heck no, now's a great time! Think about partnering up for the train and bus ride and for splitting the cost of the campsite. Plan on staying in Millinocket at the AT Lodge the night before you hit Baxter, and reserve two nights in a lean-to at Katahdin Stream if you can.

TJ aka Teej
12-13-2009, 15:05
Best time to begin a southbound thru-hike from Maine is no earlier than mid-May,
I've collect this data, since I'm usually up Baxter 4-5 times every year in May and June:
Official Opening Dates:
'09 May 20th for both Hunt and Abol.
'08 May 29th (Park had canceled May 15th opening)
'07 May 31st
'06 May 18th (Abol May 15th)
'05 June 4th (Abol May 30th)
'04 May 16th
'03 May 24th
'02 May 15th (Day hikers summited via Abol May 10th)
'01 prior to May 20th
'00 Memorial Day Weekend
'99 May 18th (per South Walker '99)
-----
MEGAs who want to summit Baxter Peak to start their hikes should read these dates and plan accordingly.

Tuney
12-13-2009, 15:08
Looks like my movable target of May 29, 2010 is probably good. I'm afraid if I start too much later, I hike too slow to make it home to GA before winter.

ogmandoog
01-22-2010, 17:01
do you think a synthetic 3-season sleeping bag would hold off and be comfortable for the six months, or should i plan a drop off for a winter bag when i get down south and it starts to get cold?

Tuney
01-22-2010, 17:42
do you think a synthetic 3-season sleeping bag would hold off and be comfortable for the six months, or should i plan a drop off for a winter bag when i get down south and it starts to get cold?

When are you planning to start? You may be able to get by with a 3 season bag and a liner when you get to the south. I was comfortable in mid December in my elderly 0 degree down bag. Actually I was too hot.

ogmandoog
01-22-2010, 19:42
i'm leaving late may early june. a 3 season bad and a liner will have to suffice for economical reasons

Just a Hiker
01-22-2010, 20:03
i'm leaving late may early june. a 3 season bad and a liner will have to suffice for economical reasons

You can certainly make do with your 3 season bag.....you'll still have cool nights in Maine and New Hampshire; and when the weather gets hot, you can stop at a Dollar Store or Thrift Store and pick up a bed sheet to cover up with and use the 3 season bag to lay on for extra cushion......and by the time you get to Southern Virgina, the 3 season bag will feel good in the cool early Fall evenings. Have a great hike!!

Just Jim

Chomp09
01-22-2010, 20:22
You CAN get by with a three season bag, but you can also hike the entire AT only eating poptarts, but I wouldn't suggest it. When you're hitting consistent single digit nights in North Carolina/Tenn & Georgia in December, you'll be happy you have it, even with the extra weight and bulk.

We carried zero bags towards the end of our hike, (by mid November) many of those around us didn't and had many a miserable night.

Good luck and enjoy! It's definitely a once in a lifetime adventure for most of us.

clairep1791
01-27-2010, 19:56
I'm looking for a couple of people headed SOBO leaving in June. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Spot In The Sky
01-27-2010, 23:25
Im starting SOBO July 1st, anyone else waiting till July???

Wesoloski
01-30-2010, 12:49
I'd like to leave first or second week of July, and I'm interested in trying to get a couple people to start out with. If anyone wants to hike with a friendly firefighter, shoot me a pm :)

Tuney
01-30-2010, 18:41
Looks like my movable target of May 29, 2010 is probably good. I'm afraid if I start too much later, I hike too slow to make it home to GA before winter.

Ok the Cool Breeze Itinerary Wins the day. I can start at Kent CT, and hike down through Shenandoah around April 19. Filp back to Baxter after July 4, and hike back down to CT. Ending up by Starting back in Southern VA after Labor Day, and being home to GA in time for thanksgiving.

That gives me my south bound hike, gets me out of the worst of Black Fly season, avoids, the NOBO crush from Springer, and lets me start a month and a half earlier.

Aaluff
01-31-2010, 00:18
Plan on starting late May or beginning of June depending on the weather.

wcgornto
01-31-2010, 01:20
Heck no, now's a great time! Think about partnering up for the train and bus ride and for splitting the cost of the campsite. Plan on staying in Millinocket at the AT Lodge the night before you hit Baxter, and reserve two nights in a lean-to at Katahdin Stream if you can.

It's really not necessary to reserve two nights at Katahdin Stream Campground. I stayed at AT lodge last year. Paul takes hikers into Baxter State Park very early, so it is possible to summit Katahdin, spend one night in the park, then head into the wilderness. That's what I did. The second night that I reserved went unused.

Tuney
01-31-2010, 14:32
It's really not necessary to reserve two nights at Katahdin Stream Campground. I stayed at AT lodge last year. Paul takes hikers into Baxter State Park very early, so it is possible to summit Katahdin, spend one night in the park, then head into the wilderness. That's what I did. The second night that I reserved went unused.

I have an e-mail from Paul, and that's exactly what he told me. He also said you could wait until about 2 weeks before your start date to call the park and make your reservation as a South Bounder.

onicoe
02-05-2010, 08:56
Im starting SOBO July 1st, anyone else waiting till July???

I'm planning on a july 1st start date as well along with my boyfriend.

FaceplantOG
02-08-2010, 17:16
Im starting my SOBO where I left off last year in New York. But since im still rehabing my injuries im sure that most of you will catch up to me round Virginia! Will be hiking in less than 4 months! YAY!

Spot In The Sky
02-08-2010, 17:41
So I know there are articles about getting to the start, but i still dont quite understand how people do it because it seems to be in the middle of nowhere- if I fly into Maine- what next? I guess most people stay at a lodge the night before and then how do they get a ride?

FaceplantOG
02-08-2010, 17:53
Go to Paul's website, I think theres a link on how to get to his place. There's a bus that goes to Bangor (or plane) another bus company takes you to as close as you can get to Paul's place, then Paul picks you up from the bus stop and takes you to the hostel. Prices for staying include shuttle to katahdin the next day after a ridiculosly huge breakfast!

FaceplantOG
02-15-2010, 12:23
Forgot to give paul's website! http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/directions.php

sumnere
02-15-2010, 14:08
I'm flying in to Maine on June 1, starting shortly after that. Hope to see some of you all on the trail.

mjg86
02-21-2010, 01:11
i'm planning on leaving sometime in the first week or so of July. Haven't made any exact plans yet. Looking forward to meeting everyone out there!!

Tuney
02-21-2010, 07:36
i'm planning on leaving sometime in the first week or so of July. Haven't made any exact plans yet. Looking forward to meeting everyone out there!!

We may meet up in the 100 mile wilderness. I'm leaving SOBO from Kent Ct, in mid April. I expect to jump to Maine from Dalevile VA, right after July 4, to hike Katahdin and continue south back to Kent.

Spot In The Sky
02-21-2010, 09:00
I have moved my start date to June 27th, heading up to ME from NY on the 26th, in case anyones going to be starting then too!

firestarter
02-21-2010, 12:02
My friend is going to be driving me up to Baxter on may 30 so that I can start on the 31st (God willing, the creeks don't rise, the snow melts, the ground dries out, and the summit isn't closed due to severe weather!).

If anyone needs a ride from Bangor to Millinocket or from Bangor to the park to start their hike, send me a message on here, I would love to help out!