PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike?

The Phoenix
11-12-2009, 02:24
I am headin out this way for college and would love to spend my summer on this trail. Is there any word on when it will be finished end to end? And has there been any thru-hike attempts yet?

What's the verdict good hikin or what!?

Godspeed

Maddog
11-12-2009, 04:44
could you please be more vague?:)

kayak karl
11-12-2009, 05:11
I am headin out this way for college and would love to spend my summer on this trail. Is there any word on when it will be finished end to end? And has there been any thru-hike attempts yet?

What's the verdict good hikin or what!?

Godspeed
how long is the Arizona trail?

garlic08
11-12-2009, 11:06
The AZT is very hikeable right now. Plenty of thru hikes lately. Just over 800 miles, over 95% complete, and being worked on very actively.

It's not the AT or PCT. It's more like the CDT. Not quite finished, inhospitable terrain and climate, very challenging, very dry (40-mile water carries). A few triple crowners are tackling it as the "next challenge", and it's a good one.

Summer may kill you out there, if you don't have serious vehicle support and water caches. As far as I know, all thrus have been done in spring and fall.

The Phoenix
11-12-2009, 11:18
most excellent... thanks for the good info Garlic!

samgriffin4
05-17-2012, 11:57
I have a friend who's out there now, in the summer. Don't do it in the summer. (the forecast for this week is 104,108,101,105...you get the idea).

WIAPilot
05-17-2012, 12:50
This is definitely a trail that I will be hiking! Even though the temperatures are very high, there is generally very low humidity. The heat is a dry heat. Rain storms are generally over in a half hr. There aren't as many insects, but you will need to watch for rattlesnakes and scorpions. Scorpion bites generally do not even require a trip to the ER. Coyotes can be bothersome, but generally will not attack you.