PDA

View Full Version : the packa and pack liners

paradoxb3
11-12-2009, 10:27
I'm looking at getting a packa, and for those who have used one, do you still use a compactor bag or other other form of pack liner, or is the packa good enough rain protection that liners are just overkill and additional weight?

If you use a packa, whats your setup? what other items do you individually wrap up like down sleeping bags, etc?

take-a-knee
11-12-2009, 12:04
A Hefty Compactor liner weighs less than 2 ounces. I'll carry it regardless.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 12:23
I'm planning to buy the packa soon, and I'm carrying the packa and an OR pack cover.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 12:24
And ALL of my gear is in plastic ziplocs, or waterproof bags. My sleeping bag is in an Outdoor Research dry bag compression sack- submerge it in a river, it'll be completely dry.

thecaptain
11-12-2009, 12:30
I have a packa....I still use a trash bag to line my pack and sea to summit drysacks.....I guess I am triple proctected

Kerosene
11-12-2009, 12:37
Even with a Packa, there will be times where you have to expose your pack to the elements. At a minimum, your camp gear should be in plastic, but a lightweight pack liner would provide a bit more protection.

juma
11-12-2009, 13:21
On initial use in medium to heavy rain, my packa leaked through on top. I recently sprayed it with a big does of silicone but haven't checked to see if that helped yet. I'd always use a pack liner too.

juma

take-a-knee
11-12-2009, 13:35
I'm planning to buy the packa soon, and I'm carrying the packa and an OR pack cover.

Now that's overkill.

The Solemates
11-12-2009, 13:38
i've never used any type of liner and never put my gear in a different bag, let alone a waterproof bag.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 13:43
Now that's overkill.

I know, but I love dry gear. And the reason is that I use two pack covers when I keep my pack outside over night. (One on each side)

Depending on how well the packa works as a pack cover, I may leave the OR at home, and just use the packa on my thru- trying to lighten up a tad. (And I'll admit, might as well just lean the pack against a tree with one cover or haul it in the tent. But the two cover system has always worked well for me)

But I've had less than fantastic experiences with ever pack cover except my OR one. But we'll see- hopefully the packa will be fine, and I won't need both.

thecaptain
11-12-2009, 14:39
ShelterLeopard.....if you are going to use the Packa as your raingear then you will need something to cover your pack if it is raining as your take your tent down (I feel a pack cover does not protect your pack well while resting on the ground leaning against a tree)....I learned that the hard way...i now carry an extra trash bag to place my pack in while I take my tent down

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 14:48
I used to carry a heavy duty trash bag for that- I may continue to do so.

Jim Lynch
11-15-2009, 14:03
A Hefty Compactor liner weighs less than 2 ounces. I'll carry it regardless.

Are these things still available?

BrianLe
11-15-2009, 15:26
"Are these things still available?"
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the spirit of the question, given that it takes no more time to do a web search for them than to ask here ... ? (yes, they are available for purchase).

To the original question I'd say that anticipated conditions definitely have an effect, but indeed it's handy to have a place to put the pack in when it's off your back in rain so IMO it's more a matter of whether you carry one or two such bags. But I carry thinner, lighter yard waste bags and live in rainy WA state.
Another condition that might relate is whether you expect any wet creek crossings, and especially if there could be any fairly deep (hopefully calm, low-current ...) crossings. In that situation you want to be a bit more bullet-proof (okay, water proof), maybe even to the point of a lightweight drybag for your sleeping bag.

take-a-knee
11-15-2009, 17:16
Are these things still available?

ACE hardware and Walmart carry them. Most walmarts have them in a crazy location, not near the other garbage bags.

Jim Lynch
11-15-2009, 18:17
[QUOTE=BrianLe;920038]"Are these things still available?"
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the spirit of the question, given that it takes no more time to do a web search for them than to ask here ... ? (yes, they are available for purchase).
QUOTE]

Hi, I did do a quick search, found them on Amazon, but in quantities of 60! My local grocery store didn't have them. Thanks for the note, I'm sort of "searching" in parallel.

Jim Lynch
11-15-2009, 18:17
ACE hardware and Walmart carry them. Most walmarts have them in a crazy location, not near the other garbage bags.

ok, thnx, I'll check those places...