PDA

View Full Version : Great Barrington, MA to Gorham, NH

Jerryatric
11-12-2009, 12:37
What time of the year are the blackflies at their worst through Vermont and New Hampshire? Also, are there times when the huts through the Whites are more likely to be at capacity? I plan to start this section in mid-August, but could move that up to May or June if necessary. Thanks for your help.

Manwich
11-12-2009, 12:44
VT prefers you keep off the trail before Memorial Day, which signals the end of Mud Season.

Cosmo
11-13-2009, 20:20
In Mass the blackflies are peaking around early June and gone shortly thereafter. Depends on the weather, this spring they were pretty much non-existent. They linger on further north. I read in your journal you hiked in S Mass last summer, the blackflies are nothing like the mosquitoes you endured.

BTW if you need a shuttle, or a pick up at the Albany NY airport, I'm happy to help out if our schedules mesh.

Cosmo

Cookerhiker
11-13-2009, 20:51
What time of the year are the blackflies at their worst through Vermont and New Hampshire? Also, are there times when the huts through the Whites are more likely to be at capacity? I plan to start this section in mid-August, but could move that up to May or June if necessary. Thanks for your help.

With a mid-August start, you'll definitely miss the black flies and you might miss the mosquitos. I hiked the Long Trail in Vermont starting mid-August (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248) and hardly had any mosquitos.

I'd say that the AMC huts are near capacity up to Labor Day and on weekends thereafter. Make sure you check with the AMC for their schedule (http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/index.cfm).

Jeff
11-13-2009, 21:07
Vermont black flies are winding down by mid July. They really are not as bad as you might think (in VT).

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2009, 16:30
August would be better all around for this section, but if you decide to hike then, blackflies won't be your problem.

Mosquitos will, and they'll be at their absolute worst in Massacusetts.

Get yourself some Ben's 100% Deet and use generously or you'll be hating life.

Cosmo
11-14-2009, 20:02
It can be grim, Jerry--but it's not a reason to change your plans. I mow a chunk portion of the AT in southern Mass 3 times a season. Nothing like plodding behind a slow moving mower that's stirring up bugs to test one's patience. There was one 200yd section just Trail north of Rt 7 this July where I really got swarmed--worst I've experienced in 10 years--I even got bit on my lip. If I hadn't been stuck behind the mower, I could have out walked them pretty quickly.

The Bens works pretty well, but sweats off pretty soon. if you keep moving, and spritz when you stop, you will be fine.

I would definitely plan to tent--one needs a bug free haven at the end of the day. Nice thing about the blackflies, is they go away at night, and their numbers and aggressiveness vary with location and altitude. DEET doesn't do much to confuse them, tho. I usually bring a headnet on work trips in the spring in case we run into a bad batch of them, hard to swat them while clipping brush.

Cosmo

Jerryatric
11-16-2009, 17:27
Thanks, Cosmo, for the information. You're right....last summer in southern Mass. was a mosquito endurance test, especially near the Jug....I couldn't get the Deet on fast enough. I have a headnet that I think I might carry....I've owned it for years now, and have never carried it with me.

I really appreciate your offer of a shuttle ride from Albany, and I'll definitly keep that in mind. Hopefully our schedules will mesh. My current plans are to return to the trail about the middle or end of the second week in August. My friend Steve plans to catch up with me in Great Barrington. He still has the stretch from Port Clinton to Great Barrington to cover....I hope he's still enthusiastic about hiking on north after doing that 300+ mile section. One thing for sure, he'll be in better hiking shape than me when we meet.

I'm considering hiking the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama and Georgia this spring, mainly because I'm dying to get back out on a trail. That trail hooks in with the Benton McKay Trail and I would end at Springer.....sort of the southern extension of the AT. It sounds like about 30-40 miles of it are road walking, which I don't care for, but they also have shelters, etc., and are working to move the rest of the trail off the road. I think it would be fun, plus it'll help get me in shape for what's coming on the AT in late summer.

Thanks again for all your advice and your shuttle offer. I look forward to meeting you.

Jerry