PDA

View Full Version : Trail around Port Clinton

wilSwim
11-12-2009, 15:10
OFF TOPIC:
How is the AT around Port Clinton? I am new to backpacking and planning on hiking it this weekend. Also is how is the pinnacle trail, we will be hiking out of Wieser State Forest and I would love some info from people who have been there...

emerald
11-12-2009, 15:21
Much has been posted although it might not be easy to find.

I put you on my contacts list. Please PM me with your specific questions. I may be able to answer them myself or help you find the information you seek. Whatever you can't find and want to know is of interest to me.

Maybe we need a new thread to answer your questions. I'll respond to any PM you send late tonight.

Wise Old Owl
11-12-2009, 18:35
OFF TOPIC:
How is the AT around Port Clinton? I am new to backpacking and planning on hiking it this weekend. Also is how is the pinnacle trail, we will be hiking out of Wieser State Forest and I would love some info from people who have been there...
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/PortClinton.jpg

Panzer1
11-12-2009, 18:41
OFF TOPIC:

I stayed there about 2 weeks ago. I did the free camping thing. I ended getting rained out just like you're going to get rained out this weekend.:mad:

Panzer
ps bring plenty of rain gear. :D

Blue Jay
11-12-2009, 18:43
OFF TOPIC:

As the map shows its a little steep into and out of town in either direction, but I find both directions to be very beautiful.

wilSwim
11-12-2009, 21:45
Thanks owl and others the map is great. Where is that found?

emerald
11-12-2009, 23:28
Good idea separating these posts to create another thread!:)

Bags4266
11-12-2009, 23:30
I have to disagree with you Blue Jay. The AT SOBO of Port Clinton is a Forest Getto. I just came thru there. 18m So. of town is horrible. Down trees, wet swamp like, no views. Couldn't wait to get out. NOBO of Port Clinton is nice though all the way up to the Pinnacle.

nox
11-12-2009, 23:35
I hope the sky clears up for you. The view from the pinnacle is is awesome on a clear day. Watch out for dive bombing birds at the top and watch your step from pinnacle to pulpit rock, it's very rocky. There are a few really cool campsites on the blue trail along the creek, down hill from the clearing (heli-pad?) on the AT. Have fun!

emerald
11-12-2009, 23:42
I recall views of Port Clinton and Reading & Northern's rail yard, Auburn Lookout, the view south from the gate atop Cross Mountain Road, the vista beyond Eagle's Nest Shelter, Eagle's Nest itself, PA 183 Hawk Watch, the view from the pipeline cut and from the top of boulder field N of Schubert's Gap, Shikellamy Summit, the vista just beyond Round Head and at least one other prior to PA 501, Kimmel Lookout, the cut beyond Kimmel Lookout, Fisher Lookout and many more in winter. There's plenty to see on even the darkest of nights.

There's even more to see up close and when other opportunities don't present themselves, it might be considered an invitation to look at what's in the foreground including the many historical monuments.

I know what a swamp is having studied botany. The closest thing to a swamp in that section are some seeps and a small cranberry bog, a natural heritage site not visible from the A.T., the location of which I will not divulge here. Blue Mountain is broad and flat in that area and in some places the treadway is the same place it's been since the 1920s. Drainage is a problem in places. This was and continues to be a wet year.

Sometimes a single trip through an area doesn't reveal much to one who knows not where to look or whose mind is poisoned by negativity.

tf bear
11-13-2009, 00:10
Steep Climb out of Port Clinton, levels out for a while and then some ups and downs. Watch out for all the rocks!

wilSwim
11-15-2009, 14:59
Went out Friday night and camped in Weiser State Forest walked out to Windsor Furnace and up to pinnacle and down toward eckville on Sat and back to Weiser on Sun. had a great time Up to Pulpit and out to pinnacle some rough rocky sections other than that great.

MJN
11-15-2009, 21:27
I hiked from port clinton to Lehigh gap in august and it was pretty nice, alot of nice views but the rocks got pretty bad in some areas. IT started pretty bad though, i felt like i was getting sick and as soon as i got to the top of the fist climb right outta port clinton, a hole got poked in my water jug which was a half gallon ice tea container so i ditched my pack and and basically ran down the mountain , thouht i could make a short cut and just ended up at a very steep cliff down to the highway so then i walked half way back up till i came to a switch back and contiuneud on into town and had to buy a 13 dollar water bottle. then after that ordeal i made it to the pinnicle and camped out right on the top. glad you enjoyed it!

Wise Old Owl
11-15-2009, 21:30
Thanks owl and others the map is great. Where is that found?

Honest it took me a couple of weeks to understand how to load KML overlays and alter Google Earth to look that way, then import the images into Photoshop to fix color & details and add titles.

Wise Old Owl
11-15-2009, 21:41
I have to disagree with you Blue Jay. The AT SOBO of Port Clinton is a Forest Getto. I just came thru there. 18m So. of town is horrible. Down trees, wet swamp like, no views. Couldn't wait to get out. NOBO of Port Clinton is nice though all the way up to the Pinnacle.

I have hiked that section two years ago - never came to that conclusion.... When did you go thru?