PDA

View Full Version : where to start, what to do?

alexshor
11-13-2009, 10:36
I'm planning to take a month off after my 40th birthday sometime in august-september 2012 and was thinking of spending it hiking AT. Eventually dream of doing thru-hike but at this point will start with a month. Need as much advice as possible on where to start and finish if have only 1 month. Also any other advice would be greatly appritiated.
I run about 3 miles every day but hiking experience is limited.

Lone Wolf
11-13-2009, 10:37
start in gorham NH and head north for 1 month

neighbor dave
11-13-2009, 10:38
i agree with lone wolf, maine is the best part

Lone Wolf
11-13-2009, 10:51
i agree with lone wolf, maine is the best part

if you save it for last like on a thru-hike you may not enjoy it so much. plenty of hikers are miserable the last few hundred miles

neighbor dave
11-13-2009, 10:59
if you save it for last like on a thru-hike you may not enjoy it so much. plenty of hikers are miserable the last few hundred miles
i agree with lone wolf.
it's usually the folks who wind up hating the trail due to time constraints or hiking beyond their ability/ forcing the hike. it has to come naturally to be enjoyable, othwise it's misery, i too have seen people hate the trail by the time they make it up here.

Lone Wolf
11-13-2009, 11:05
i got off the trail twice in gorham after walking there from georgia. was just burned out on the whole scene. no way was i gonna force myself thru maine

neighbor dave
11-13-2009, 11:10
i was in my glory in new england, it's definately the iceing on the cake.
gosh l.w., i thought the marines beat that kind of determination into their recruts

Lone Wolf
11-13-2009, 11:14
gosh l.w., i thought the marines beat that kind of determination into their recruts

getting to a sign is not a worthy goal. my goal was to enjoy my walks and when they ceased to be enjoyable, get off.

Hooch
11-13-2009, 11:16
i was in my glory in new england, it's definately the iceing on the cake.
I'm sure you mean Marines. :D

Cookerhiker
11-13-2009, 12:01
I also agree with a Gorham start. August is the best time to start a Gorham-to-Katahdin hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=113704) and one month should be just right for you. The fact that you run 3 mpd helps greatly since aerobic fitness is the most important physical challenge to face in order to enjoy your hike.

Expect to have low-mileage days in the beginning but don't be discouraged - the miles will come. The hardest part of this stretch is the first 120 miles (through Safford Notch).