PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Tent?

CampALot
11-13-2009, 12:36
I have two camping tents both 1 man and one is 2 season the other 4 season, if planning a trip for next Oct. which one would be the best for AT trail?
<a href=http://www.hikingtentsonline.com>Robert_Holman</B></a>

ShelterLeopard
11-13-2009, 12:43
Need more info. Where will you be? Camping in Georgia vs. Maine makes a HUGE difference. What part of October? How long? Do you sleep warm, or cold?

It also depends on your other gear- if you have a really warm 0 degree sleeping bag, you'll most likely be fine with a 2 season. I always use a 3/ 3.5 season, because that's what I have. A four season is only necessary if you're expecting snow or very cold temps, but if the other choice is a two season, maybe you'd be better with the four! It all depends on you.

Grinder
11-13-2009, 13:52
everything about hiking is a tradeoff.

I've seen reports of camping in subzero snow with a tarp and loving it. Tepee Walter carries a 4 season brick and it pleases him.
Shoot your best shot and then don't whine if you hate it

ShelterLeopard
11-13-2009, 13:54
Perfect answer grinder- much better than my long winded confusing one.

CampALot
11-13-2009, 23:20
Hey thanks for your help will be camping in Virgina 1 week in Oct. for aweek i have a Eureka Zeus II its a 3 season tent and just under 4 lbs, and a great sleeping bag. I'm hoping this will do, my other tent I think is to heavy pack.

Cookerhiker
11-13-2009, 23:28
Hey thanks for your help will be camping in Virgina 1 week in Oct. for aweek i have a Eureka Zeus II its a 3 season tent and just under 4 lbs, and a great sleeping bag. I'm hoping this will do, my other tent I think is to heavy pack.

Virginia, October, 3-season, "great sleeping bag" - I think you're OK.

What part of Virginia? I did a brief 2 night hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3877) in Grayson Highlands and awoke to light snow once. I was sufficiently warm in my "great sleeping bag."

300winmag
01-14-2010, 01:27
Cooker, I love your tag line quote from Susan B. Anthony. I have a daughter that uses religion as a crutch and that quote descrbes her to a T.

As for solo tents, to get back on topic, I had a T.T. Contrail for 3 seasons ald liked it. But then that devious Henry Shires came out with the fiendishly clever Moment so I sold the Contrail and bought the Moment. I love it for many reasons, not the least of which are the great stability in high winds and the wide vestibule.

And setup is even faster than the Contrail. Didn't think that was possible.

Eric

Gigantor
03-29-2011, 09:21
Am planning a hike on the AT in 2013. Any suggestions from previous hikers on which tent worked best for them. Would like weights and any other information that would be helpful.

q-tip
04-05-2011, 13:43
TT Contrail 2 lbs total---used from aug-nov 2010 Southern AT--great tent....