PDA

View Full Version : Best bag december in the Smokies

Cheers
11-13-2009, 13:07
Hello!
I'm trying to decide which bag to get for an early December hike in the Smokies. Most weather averages for the area (Clingmans dome) suggest that average highs are about 37* and average lows are around 21*. Of course it could easily get below this at night, and i expect it to.

I'm trying to decide between getting the Marmot Helium 15* or a heavier 5* bag from Marmot or WM. I'm a warm sleeper and don't mind throwing on layers, i also sleep in my thermals. Do you think the Helium will cut it?

I've used the NF cats meow 20* down to 10* and that was just about do-able, not so comfortable by early morning though.

I also hear that the chance of sudden heavy snowfall is quite possible at higher elevations. Should i consider snow shoes? I have Yaktrax Pro's i use for the Maine winters, you think they'll do?

I figure if there is a serious snowfall i posthole the hell out of there on the nearest blueblaze.

Thanks guys, i don't want to get caught out with the wrong gear, but would also like to go by the law of averages. I think the 15* will be ok, just need some reassurance from experienced early winter hikers.

Thanks

Cheers

humunuku
11-13-2009, 13:23
Ya really never know in E TN - it could seriously be in the 70's for a high, but then again it could be really cold too-our weather isn't really described best by averages -if i were you i would error on the cold side and bring a warmer bag

gravy4601
11-13-2009, 16:18
Ya really never know in E TN - it could seriously be in the 70's for a high, but then again it could be really cold too-our weather isn't really described best by averages -if i were you i would error on the cold side and bring a warmer bag

i agree ..... if it dose get to cold you'll be prepaired and if it's to hot you can always unzip it

Alligator
11-13-2009, 16:33
It could easily drop way more than the 6 degrees off the average of 21 that the 15 degree bag will keep you warm at. Take a look at the record lows as well. If you are buying a new bag for winter temps I'd suggest getting the warmer one. If you are just going to do this occasionally, maybe get a liner instead, I did that for a few years with a 20 bag for winter conditions along the southern AT.

bigcranky
11-13-2009, 17:17
The temps are so variable in December. I would take my 5-F WM bag, but then I already have it. You could probably get away with the 15-F bag, especially with clothing layers, but I would be mentally prepared for it to get pretty darn cold up on the ridgeline.

Hikes in Rain
11-13-2009, 17:19
Just from my own personal experience: I used to live in Alaska, where I spent a ton of money on a Polarguard-down combo bag rated at -20*. I still have the bag, and because it's late 70's vintage, it's most likely not at that rating any more. However, a couple of Novembers ago, at Derrick Knob shelter, the temperature dropped to 8*, with a gale force wind whipping over the ridge. That big, bulky bag was NOT too hot! (Only time I was warm that trip was in the bag!)

springerfever
11-13-2009, 17:27
Yep..definately go for a lower rating bag....well worth the weight when its in the teens and windy. I used the Yaktrax a few years ago in February coming down off of Clingmans dome. Depending on conditions, the trail can easily turn into a bobsled run with thick ice and some steep descents. Definately would not want to screw up a knee or break a leg in bad conditions.

Enjoy the hike..its one of the best times to get out, and you'll enjoy spectacular views !!

Marta
11-13-2009, 17:34
I'd go for the warmer setup, too. Those wonderful ridgeline shelters are draftier and colder than most tents, especially if you have a brisk mountain breeze blowing right into the open side.

I wouldn't bring snowshoes. I would bring extra food, though, in case it takes you an extra day or two to extract yourself from the backcountry. And even if you're planning to stay in shelters, a tent for use in emergencies is a good idea.

It's not at all unlikely that any precipitation that falls (and a lot of precipitation falls in the Park) will not be frozen. Be prepared for prolonged, very cold rain and wind-driven mist. You know, like a bad summer day in Maine.

When I was thru-hiking in '06, the day I hiked south to Fontana (Dec. 23d) it was raining so hard for so long that I got wet to the core. The colors on the M&Ms deep inside my innermost pocket ran together.

grizzlyadam
11-13-2009, 18:23
where you headed buddy?

Cheers
11-13-2009, 18:51
Hey Adam!
I'm hiking from the NOC to Hot Springs in a few weeks. I haven't been out for way to long....i think the last time i did any kind of trek was a few years back across Saddleback and beyond. I haven't had a vacation in years, so now is the time. Family stuff and work have kept me glued to Maine. My best friend from England will be joining me, so it should be a fun trip.

Some dude was on here a few days back asking about camera gear and hiking, i refered him to your journal. Are you still snapping?

I hope you are healthy and well. Take care.
Cheers

grizzlyadam
11-13-2009, 22:26
Cheers...

I am indeed still snapping away. Check out the site sometime when you get a chance- http://www.wacphotography.com

I don't have a lot going on right now....maybe i'll come hike with you for a couple of days.

birdog
11-13-2009, 23:24
The chance of temps being below the norm are good. December in the park is very iffy as far as weather is concerned. The warmer set up is probably a good idea and the weight difference is minor all things being considered. I hike in the coldest months and have had need of my WM Puma (-25) on several occasions. Layers in a Marmot helium would work if you sleep warm and the temps dont nosedive. The low temp at elevation on Oct 17-18 this year was 17 and 2 inches of snow so be prepared. The problem with some trails, ie. AT, The Boulevard, and others is that when it snows it drifts at about a 30 degree angle on the trails and then packs down and becomes hard as concrete. It took me 7 hours to go 8 miles last year in December because I didn't have any traction aides with me.

Doooglas
11-17-2009, 05:14
Don't sweat the snow. It's the sleet and rain that'll kill you in December.
Therefore I recommend one of these.
http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=65

#Gets ready for whining from uberlite crowd #:rolleyes: