PDA

View Full Version : Back to the whites.

SargeAT
08-20-2004, 04:00
Hello, new to the forum here, and this seemed like the right place to ask the more experienced hikers about the AT. I have been section hiking for the past two years with the AMC and a few friends, in the whites and the mid-main AT trail, (Baldpate, broke in the new carter loop(?) a test-hike back when that trail still consisted of spongy moss.

I'm now a senior in high-school, and the trail demands that I hike it upon graduation. Any thoughts on how to make the transition from hiking with groups and friends, to possible alone? Also, I have yet decided on whether to go SoBo or NoBo, the SoBo route seems a bit depressing to me, the majesty of the white mountains trickling down into the hot georgian sun. NoBo requiring I fly down to Georgia and make my way up, quite a distance from any support or familiarity. Thats enough questions for now, while I eagerly await the trail-sages response.

Pooja Blue
08-20-2004, 22:55
Would a little radio help? I have a tiny AM/FM radio on my thruhike. I had originally only brought it for use at night when I can't sleep (I have insomnia) and ended up using it during the days when I'm hiking. I just keep the volume low and the earphone in only one ear, so I can hear what's going on around me. I'm not the kind of person who needs to be with other people allthe time, but the little radio has really helped keep me company on days when I hike 12 hours without seeing anyone else, or when I go 3 days without seeing anyone, as happened in Georgia a few times. It's also good for weather forecasts.

rocket04
09-14-2004, 09:52
Any thoughts on how to make the transition from hiking with groups and friends, to possible alone?
Depends on you. Some people like to have radios/mp3 players when they hike alone. And some people get really lonely, in which case you may plan on going north or going south but making sure you go at the time the most SOBOs hit the trail. Also, some people tend to be extra careful hiking alone because they figure if something happens to them there won't be anybody to help them out immediately. This is a non-issue in some easy hiking sections, but in the Whites it's easy to slip on those rocks when it's wet.

eyahiker
09-14-2004, 09:56
If I were you, I'd choose NOBO, you'll meet plenty of folks along the way. Figure grad time is in the late spring right? May? June? You'll still meet folks and sounds like you are a nice fellow and will be able to hook up with some cool new friends.

I know someone else who is grad. and may do a NOBO, let me know, I can put the two of you in contact if he's still going...........:)

sloetoe
09-14-2004, 21:46
"Just do it."
"And just do it nobo."

sloetoe
who hiked after high school and 6 mionths working up the buckos, in 1979.

Peaks
09-15-2004, 08:39
So, you are graduating from high school in the spring and want to hike. But, you don't feel comfortable doing it alone.

First, if you meet up with other NOBO's, then you will not be alone. Now, assuming that graduation is in June, I would suggest that you take the train to DC, and then out to Harper's Ferry. In June, there should be other NOBO's going thru Harper's Ferry. Plus, you will very quickly north of the Mason Dixon line and into your comfort zone.

Another alternate is to find someone to hike with you for the first few weeks until you feel comfortable on your own.