PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Thru Hike Partner(s) WANTED

mali
11-13-2009, 14:14
Hello world :)

I'm a student interested in completing a northbound thru-hike this summer.

I want to finish in 100 days.

My break from university begins on June 11, so I would be interested in hiking perhaps June 11 - September 19.

I'm hoping to find either a group I can join, or several other thru-hikers who would be willing to accompany me.

Friendship is important in a companion;
If you're wondering if you'll like me, how's this:
-I love The Beatles, guitar, and any kind of music.
-I'm vegetarian.
-I'm pursuing a degree in either Sociology, Anthropology, or International Area Studies.
-For fun, I like to read, write, run, play music, and bike.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, tips, or fun facts.
Thanks!

:banana lovin life ;)
--Mali

ShelterLeopard
11-13-2009, 14:34
Just out of curiosity, have you ever done a long hike before? (A week plus?)

Dirty Harry
11-13-2009, 14:50
Mabe I see you out there Mali, going south, going north I'm not sure on my plans yet. 100 days is duable if your in good shape, but remember you really have to go into it from the start, no eazin into it.

mali
11-13-2009, 15:00
I have done week hikes and weekend hikes.

I am also very in shape, used to running every day and pretty athletic.

gravy4601
11-13-2009, 16:00
you should just drive emagin all the stuff your going to miss anyway while your running down the trail i'd suggest taking your time to enjoy the time your out there youll get more out of it in the long

Deadeye
11-13-2009, 19:08
I kinda get grumpy when folks insist that I (or anyone else) slow down. I was hiking once, at a pretty good clip, when this guy says "Hey, slow down and enjoy yourself!"

To which I replied "what makes you think I'm NOT enjoying myself?"

Others have asked "why are you going so fast, slow down and..." and have replied "I'm over 50, and I CAN run a trail or hike at a pace... I'll slow down when I feel as old as you" I stop and look around when I stop, and I stop when I feel like it!

So if you want to try to hike the AT in 100 days, ignore everyone who says you can't, or tells you to slow down. Hike for 100 days... if you get to Katahdin in 90, you can hike back to Monson, if you don't get there, well you had a great 100 day journey, wherever you wind up. When you feel like stopping to smell the roses, stop.

ShelterLeopard
11-13-2009, 19:29
I think people say that, because only too often, people do go too fast and don't enjoy the sights as much as they could've. Not everyone, but as someone said in a thread elsewhere here, I've never heard anyone say after a thru hike that they wish they'd hiked fast, but many people wish they'd taken their time.

Pacific Tortuga
11-13-2009, 19:37
So you see, opinion's are just like a hole, everyone and their friends have one.
Plan for the trip by yourself, if someone you seem to get along with wants to go, great. Fast, light and self contained with ALL the gear and cash needed would be prudent. People on the Trail are helpful, kind and supportive, hiking or not. Have a card with Trail town contact's, phone or e-mails, Trail angels and just down to earth good people out there, will help if needed. If your not sure who they are, ask here and you will be directed, WB's is the best source, IMO, for that.

"Follow Your Dreams, Live the Life you Imagined", H.D. Thoreau
I'm a little cheezy at times, sorry, enjoy your journey, your way.

Deadeye
11-13-2009, 20:01
I also heard many people complain that they should have done something (like a long hike) when they had the chance. I've never heard anyone sorry about taking a chance and doing something.

Disney
11-13-2009, 20:20
That 100 day goal is laudable. It is doable, although it will not be easy. It also sounds like you have something you have to get to after the trail. If this is the case, consider this.

If you need extra time, and can take extra time, you will have another month or so before the weather becomes a problem.

There will not be many people starting a thru hike from Springer in June. There will be a few, but not many. You might consider going Southbound.

If you are going to do big miles (25+), you will catch up with people over time, but it might not be easy. When you do catch them, they may not be going as fast as you want to. Consider a long section, or a flip flop.

That being said, this is your time, and your hike, so do it however you want to. HYOH.

BrianLe
11-13-2009, 22:21
IMO the issue isn't so much (or at least just) the 100 days but the idea of finding a group of people who can and will go that pace and at a sufficiently similar style --- and finding that group over the internet. Seems to me that unless you can find someone who has already done some long distance hiking at that pace and that through discussion ahead of time you can determine that overall hiking style is sufficiently similar, then expecting to do the whole trail with a group of strangers that think a 100 day passage sounds good is almost bound to not work out.

To put it in perspective, a 100 day passage means averaging 21.8 miles per day with no zeros or neros. Some basic issues will make a big difference here, such as pack base weight and whether you plan to sleep at shelters each night (granularity issue there), as well as resupply plans.

I'd be the last person to say "slow down", I'm with Deadeye on this one --- it's pretty arrogant for anyone to tell another hiker that they can only enjoy the trail at a specified pace. But having a 100 day pace imposed from the start could ultimately make it an unpleasant trip. On the PCT in WA state I've met folks pushing hard every day to make a particular deadline, and the common phrase I heard was "it sucks to hike to a deadline". I'll be hiking to somewhat of a deadline on the AT next year, but nothing so aggressive.

Not trying to talk anyone out of anything, just thinking out loud about some of the dynamics!

stranger
11-14-2009, 04:38
Like BrianLe stated, this means an average of 21.8 miles per day. And we all know that on the trail itself, you're "hiking average" must be somewhat higher than your "actual average" because you will not hike every day.

So to average 21.8 miles per day overall, you will have to be hiking consistent, 25+ mile days when you are actually hiking.

You might want to get in touch with Garlic08, he hiked last year in about 3.5 months and might have some good advice.

Dirty Harry
11-14-2009, 12:37
I think Garlic hiked in 08. I meet Garlic in Conneticut with by buddy foot loose. The thing I remember about those guys is that they where persistant with there hiking. We where really moving thru new england, and where able to catch up to Pickle and Garlic but somehow after a couple days those guys where ahead of us and I never saw them again. Its like the Tortoise and the Hair. No offense to Garlic or Pickle:)

mali
11-14-2009, 15:17
Deadeye, you're making me feel way better about this.

But my main issues are the fact that:
1. I can't hike alone, because I'm an 18-year-old girl and just don't feel safe hiking by myself.
2. This is my last summer to accomplish this goal. My college program gives me internships every summer, so I'm booked until 2014, and then my student loans start so I need steady employment and need to pay that off.
3. I would love to do this for the sake of accomplishing the goal. I want to challenge myself; more than anything, I want to do this. I have had a really hard time adjusting to college and living in the city (inner city Philadelphia) and the trail is the only place I really feel comfortable with myself-- trail culture is remarkable, and the other hikers are so easygoing and laid-back. Every moment on the trail is Trail Magic to me.

Thank you for all of the advice, it is very much appreciated. I feel as if hiking the trail in 100 days really is doable; I can definitely add a few days on if I really need to... my University runs until June 11 and we'll begin again in the third week of September (probably the 20th)... maybe the AT isn't what I'm looking for; is there any other goal I could look at? Maybe all of the southern states?

I live about 10 minutes from the trail at Port Clinton, Pennsylvania. Perhaps I could hike from Springer to home... talk about a trip home right?

Thanks again!
lovin life;
mali

white_russian
11-14-2009, 16:31
The fact that you are questioning yourself means you probably should cut it down. Hiking the AT in 100 days is one of those things that you should already know you have the ability before you start planning.

Pacific Tortuga
11-14-2009, 17:18
The fact that you are questioning yourself means you probably should cut it down. Hiking the AT in 100 days is one of those things that you should already know you have the ability before you start planning.

The fact your questioning yourself means, nothing. To question one's self is a logical internal debate on what your comfortable with doing, within your own reasoning.
Go with your gut, have fun and feel safe.

mali
11-14-2009, 18:58
thanks pacific tortuga!

i know i'm CAPABLE of doing it. the question is; do i really want to. and according to everyone else, you regret it if you try to hike on a deadline. maybe i just want to cut it down and relax.

i'm an 18-year-old college athlete. i'm in extremely good shape. i know i'm capable of it so lets stop making that the issue.

Symbol
11-14-2009, 20:35
Good luck!! You can do it... just go for it.

Maybe southbound is a good option for you?

ARambler
11-14-2009, 22:51
Good luck!! You can do it... just go for it.

Maybe southbound is a good option for you?

You are not prepared to even start this thread until you plan to go sobo. Sobos are significantly faster, more positive and know how to handle the negative feedback (and not think that those who tell you what you want to hear are the ones that are right.)

If you are serious about hiking the trail, you will have calculated how to hike the maximum number of days, possibly using a flip forward and finishing PA on weekends. A 4 month hike is much more reasonable.

Rambler

mali
11-15-2009, 00:03
i started this thread with the intent of garnering advice from more experienced hikers. i did not in any way imply that i have significant trail knowledge, and i am not biased towards a specific goal; so perhaps some of the posts on this thread could reduce the amount of condescension.

ARambler
11-15-2009, 01:40
I agree that my comments were negative. Note, many responders also seemed to be assuming a nobo.
Good Luck.

stranger
11-15-2009, 02:28
Mali - you can hike the trail in 100 days, anyone can if they have the right attitude, fitness levels, pain tolerance, discipline, desire and persistance, but most people take longer, many of them much longer.

Persistance will be the key, 22 miles is not a great distance (I can hike 22 miles in most places in 7-8 hours), but 22 miles every single day is another story, so that should be considered, so should different overuse injuries like shin splints, etc...

If you do average low-mid 20's the good news is that you will never have to carry more than 2.5 days food in alot of places, but going into town will take some time, there will be pros and cons to this hike.

If you leave in June, you are talking very warm weather (a light pack) and long daylight hours (14+ hours per day), both are very good for making miles. If you were to hike from 8am - 7pm and only averaged 2 miles per hour, that's still 22 miles.

I've never done a thru-hike, I've been out there for 6-8 weeks though, and I've always felt 20 miles is about the perfect distance for me, it's enough to see progress quickly, but doesn't require too much effort (for me). I think the main challenge will be maintaining 22-23 miles per day while hiking, and going into town...meaning what happens when you arrive in Hot Springs at 11am and 14 miles into your day? Are you going to keep walking?

That will be the challenge in my experience...town is the time (and money) killer!

Pacific Tortuga
11-15-2009, 12:57
Mali - you can hike the trail in 100 days, anyone can if they have the right attitude, fitness levels, pain tolerance, discipline, desire and persistance, but most people take longer, many of them much longer.

Persistance will be the key, 22 miles is not a great distance (I can hike 22 miles in most places in 7-8 hours), but 22 miles every single day is another story, so that should be considered, so should different overuse injuries like shin splints, etc...

If you do average low-mid 20's the good news is that you will never have to carry more than 2.5 days food in alot of places, but going into town will take some time, there will be pros and cons to this hike.

If you leave in June, you are talking very warm weather (a light pack) and long daylight hours (14+ hours per day), both are very good for making miles. If you were to hike from 8am - 7pm and only averaged 2 miles per hour, that's still 22 miles.

I've never done a thru-hike, I've been out there for 6-8 weeks though, and I've always felt 20 miles is about the perfect distance for me, it's enough to see progress quickly, but doesn't require too much effort (for me). I think the main challenge will be maintaining 22-23 miles per day while hiking, and going into town...meaning what happens when you arrive in Hot Springs at 11am and 14 miles into your day? Are you going to keep walking?

That will be the challenge in my experience...town is the time (and money) killer!

and after ALL that, having good ole' fasion luck on your side will help.

mali
11-15-2009, 15:16
i feel like this is going to happen... this is going to happen. i'm going to do it.

:)

mali
11-15-2009, 15:16
but i still gotta figure out the partner situation. is there anywhere i can find people who are starting later in the year?

Slo-go'en
11-15-2009, 18:50
As others have pointed out, doing a thru-hike in 100 days is possible, but at gruling pace. Not many can keep up that pace day in and day out.

In reality, you have less than 100 days, as you have to acount for the time to get to the trail and back. I can't imagine your leaving school on June 11 and be hiking on the 12th and then get off the trail on Sept 19 and be ready for classes the next day.

Since you can't leave until the middle of June, doing a SOBO makes more sense. There will be many more hikers starting a SOBO trip that time of year then NOBOs - if any.

Simply go as far as you can go in the time you have, don't worry about doing the whole thing. If you do great, if not, the trail will always be there.

ShelterLeopard
11-15-2009, 19:01
Deadeye, you're making me feel way better about this.

But my main issues are the fact that:
1. I can't hike alone, because I'm an 18-year-old girl and just don't feel safe hiking by myself.
2. This is my last summer to accomplish this goal. My college program gives me internships every summer, so I'm booked until 2014, and then my student loans start so I need steady employment and need to pay that off.
3. I would love to do this for the sake of accomplishing the goal. I want to challenge myself; more than anything, I want to do this. I have had a really hard time adjusting to college and living in the city (inner city Philadelphia) and the trail is the only place I really feel comfortable with myself-- trail culture is remarkable, and the other hikers are so easygoing and laid-back. Every moment on the trail is Trail Magic to me.

Thank you for all of the advice, it is very much appreciated. I feel as if hiking the trail in 100 days really is doable; I can definitely add a few days on if I really need to... my University runs until June 11 and we'll begin again in the third week of September (probably the 20th)... maybe the AT isn't what I'm looking for; is there any other goal I could look at? Maybe all of the southern states?

I live about 10 minutes from the trail at Port Clinton, Pennsylvania. Perhaps I could hike from Springer to home... talk about a trip home right?

Thanks again!
lovin life;
mali

Sent you a PM about a hike I'm doing in Jan.

Deadeye
11-16-2009, 13:20
thanks pacific tortuga!

i know i'm CAPABLE of doing it. the question is; do i really want to. and according to everyone else, you regret it if you try to hike on a deadline. maybe i just want to cut it down and relax.

i'm an 18-year-old college athlete. i'm in extremely good shape. i know i'm capable of it so lets stop making that the issue.

I, and I suspect most of us, hike on deadlines all the time, and it's definitely not as fun as an open-ended hike... but it sure beats not hiking! You may find a self-imposed deadline unsatifactory, but you can change it along the way. You're only 18 for about a year:-?, and you can bet that when you're thirty, forty, or fifty-something, you would regret not trying.

Grinder
11-16-2009, 15:27
back to Mali's original question/request:

Mali, partnering on the trail is a hit and miss proposition at best. Few teams stay together long. The most successful meet each other on the trail, after observing that their hiking styles and personalities match.

Throw in your need/decision to hike 20 plus miles a day and the pool of possible hiking partners is virtually zero.

You'd be safe hiking alone on the trail, in season (March departure from Springer) IMHO and would rarely, if ever, sleep alone if you stayed at shelters.

I don't know about population on the trail in June.

Anyway, Good luck in chasing your dream.

Pacific Tortuga
11-16-2009, 15:45
Would you consider a support person instead of a hiker. Hiker's going for speed record's use them. A person with time and finance's to meet you at Trail crossings, towns and ?.
To find the right 'support person' will be as hard to find as the right hiker, but this will up your odd's on going fast and long.
Somebody here on WB's that has, part Trail Angel/Thru-Hiker in them that others here can vouch for, character, dependability ect., or family member ?
Just another idea, with the same goal.

mali
11-16-2009, 18:22
alright; new idea. I'm going to start at Springer and hike home (Port Clinton, PA-- near the Delaware Water Gap and Hawk Mountain). This gives me 100 days to hike 1200 miles. This way, I can hike at any pace, enjoy the trail, and figure out my strengths and weaknesses as a hiker.

Not to sound paranoid, but, the only thing I'm afraid of with hiking alone is staying at a shelter with a male hiker of the opposite sex. In all humility, I was hit on by a few hikers last year during a section hike. This only scares me in the sense that anything can happen.

Also, can you further explain the concept of "support person"?

Thanks ;)

Blue Wolf
11-16-2009, 18:56

Towns are the killer!

Slo-go'en
11-16-2009, 21:34
alright; Also, can you further explain the concept of "support person"? ;)

A support person can just be someone who mails you supplies along the trail. Some speed hikers who want to do the whole trail in say less than 90 days have someone follow them along the trail with a car, van or even a camper/RV. They meet you at road crossings to resupply. This eliminates down time getting in and out of town to resupply and allows you to go farther, quicker.

You really should consider doing a SOBO. As much as I like hiking in the south, I shutter to think about doing it in July and August. Since you want to challange yourself, Maine is a good challange. The trail is rugged and the views are exceptional. Plus your more likely to meet up with a partner, at least more quickly.

As for guys hitting on you, its real hard to resist flirting a little with a cute, young hiker chick :D But thats as far as it should go. Carry a little can of MACE in case someone gets a bit too aggresive and can't take a hint. It really shouldn't ever get that point though.

mali
11-16-2009, 23:16
i was thinking something more along the lines of a domesticated rabid weasel for self-protection, but perhaps your mace idea would be more effective ;)

Dirty Harry
11-16-2009, 23:48
I still think you should go for the thru. I mean If you dont get to Maine big woop. I know your home is Port Clinton, and please dont take offence, but I would hate to end my hike at Port Clinton as far as the trail and its conditons around that area.

white_russian
11-16-2009, 23:56
alright; new idea. I'm going to start at Springer and hike home (Port Clinton, PA-- near the Delaware Water Gap and Hawk Mountain). This gives me 100 days to hike 1200 miles. This way, I can hike at any pace, enjoy the trail, and figure out my strengths and weaknesses as a hiker.

You will have a lot easier time finding a partner if you start at Katahdin. Chances of finding someone to start with even at a reasonable pace from Springer in June are very very slim. SOBO would be "in season" so folks are headed up there anyway.

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 00:23

Not to sound paranoid, but, the only thing I'm afraid of with hiking alone is staying at a shelter with a male hiker of the opposite sex. In all humility, I was hit on by a few hikers last year during a section hike. This only scares me in the sense that anything can happen.

Also, can you further explain the concept of "support person"?

Thanks ;)

Do you know any male hikers who are not of the opposite sex? Honestly, all the guy hikers I know I really cool. And awesome to hike with. If you are a solo female and you hike with a guy, he'll often get a bit protective of you, kinda like a brother. Some guys do have other stuff on their minds..... But the thing is, you have the power to move on. If you're feeling bad vibes at a shelter, keep going and stealth camp off trail and in a hidden spot. You'll be okay.

Oh, and I wear a whistle around my neck that I never take off. I haven't taken it off for a year, and I've never not had it while I was hiking. At first, it was for safety- bears, sex crazed mountain men, etc... But as I became comfortable with hiking alone, I just began keeping it because I was so attached to it, and I can say I've never hiked without it. But as a solo female, you might want to consider the whistle. Tell you what, if you come on that shakedown with me in January, I'll make you one on an adjustable cord. Okay?

PS- I like the idea of making your trip shorter. If you want to meet more people who you'll hike in the same direction with, consider SoBo.

Sorry if this is long winded- long late night rehearsal!!!

Hobbot
11-17-2009, 11:11
Whether you hike alone or with someone, it is fairly inevitable that you will be hit on multiple times. Some of us don't mean anything by it (we are just trying to be friendly) and most of us will stop if you say something. Be assertive and tell people when they are bothering you.

I would go with the domesticated rabid weasel...that would be pretty cool. Can you get a pack made for it?

If you are going at a more average pace and start later in the year, I would also suggest SOBO. There will be a number of people also doing that and it will be easy enough to start hiking with others. If you go NOBO, you will likely run into less people at that time of year.

If you are going at a quicker than average pace, you are going to fly by us "slow-goers" anyway. You will likely see different people each day regardless of the direction you go.

My two cents...

ARambler
11-17-2009, 18:47
Do you know any male hikers who are not of the opposite sex? ...You'll be okay.

Oh, and I wear a whistle around my neck that I never take off. ...

PS- I like the idea of making your trip shorter. If you want to meet more people who you'll hike in the same direction with, consider SoBo.

A very informal list of hikers:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2010thruhikers

This should give you an idea of how many thru hikers you will see nobo vs sobo. sobo, you may see one nobo a day, on average, for the first couple of weeks, and then more than 4 a day for a couple months.

Rambler

mali
11-18-2009, 13:06
HAHA i do not know any male hikers that are not of the opposite sex. i swear, i'm a college student... lol.

thank you so much for your help everyone! :)

stranger
11-19-2009, 03:19
You are much more likely to find a hiking partner if you were to leave from Port Clinton in June rather than Springer. Many thru-hikers will be coming through PA in June heading north...There will not be many long distance hikers leaving Springer in June.

Just something to think about...

ShelterLeopard
11-19-2009, 12:46
I'll be in Port Clinton around June! I like stranger's idea- you should definitely consider it!