PDA

View Full Version : GPS Dummy

jorhawle
11-13-2009, 19:16
I don't know anything about GPS units. I was hoping to find one that already had trail maps (the Smokies trails)already loaded in it. Do they make such a device?:-?

buff_jeff
11-13-2009, 19:23
I just picked up a GPS unit and have been slowly getting introduced to the whole deal. It seems like most units come preloaded with ridiculously poor basemaps that do absolutely nothing. You'll essentially have to pay for any map upgrades you want, and they aren't cheap. For example, I just picked up 1:24,000 scale topo maps covering all of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah...for $130. Granted, that is the highest level of detail I could ask for, and the program is very, very easy to use and uploads to my Gps easily.

The Garmin 1:24,000 scale maps of the East Coast only National Parks is $116.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=999&pvID=2286&ra=true#coverageTab

You can get the entire United States for $115 at 1:100,000 scale, but that's not the greatest detail for trail travel.

Of course, to upload all these maps as well, you'll probably need a new Micro SD card. They aren't that expensive, but it's another $20-30.

I'm sure people on here no more about GPS than I do, but I don't know of any gps that comes with a great basemap. You're gonna have to upgrade.

buff_jeff
11-13-2009, 19:29
By the way, on that link, if you hit "view map" just to the right and below "add to cart" you can keep clicking on the map and see the detail. It looks pretty good, but it is expensive.

Ranc0r
11-13-2009, 19:31
I actually bought my Magellin at least in part based on the number of maps that I had available to me for free. No point in dropping $200 in hardware and then need another $300 in software, or whatever. Sure, I looked at features and memory and whatnot, but the model I chose had a lot to do with the free maps and s/w I had available to me at the time. And I'll likely choose differently next time, for mostly the same reasoning.

Got any buddies with GPS's?

HYOH, load yer own map software.

Ranc0r

mister pooh
11-13-2009, 21:04
The Delorme PN-20, PN-30 and PN-40 units come with TopoUSA, which has the trail data for the Smokies in the base maps, which aren't too bad. You can also download the USGS quads for 10 cents a square kilometer, you get $40 worth of credit in the box with the unit or you can get an all you can download subscription for $30/year. You can also download aerial and satellite imagery to the unit.