PDA

View Full Version : 1 month hike

alexshor
11-13-2009, 21:33
I'm planning to take a month off after my 40th birthday sometime in august-september 2012 and was thinking of spending it hiking AT. Eventually dream of doing thru-hike but at this point will start with a month. Need as much advice as possible on where to start and finish if have only 1 month. Also any other advice would be greatly appritiated.
I run about 3 miles every day but hiking experience is limited.

weary
11-13-2009, 23:16
I'm planning to take a month off after my 40th birthday sometime in august-september 2012 and was thinking of spending it hiking AT. Eventually dream of doing thru-hike but at this point will start with a month. Need as much advice as possible on where to start and finish if have only 1 month. Also any other advice would be greatly appritiated.
I run about 3 miles every day but hiking experience is limited.
All the trail is great. My predudice is Maine. Ideally starting in July, or a week or so there after.

That's when I attempted a 250-mile hike of Maine with a 9-year-old grandson. We both made it to Baxter. It went so well. That a couple of years later I started at Springer, age 64, and mostly walked to Maine -- and Katahdin.

It was great fun. I recommend it to all. Regardless of age.

Weary

Cookerhiker
11-13-2009, 23:21
Didn't you already ask this? My answer is the same.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55763

Blissful
11-14-2009, 20:34
Maybe start in NJ annd hike north for four weeks. I really liked NJ, by the way.

Pickleodeon
11-14-2009, 21:41
well, if they keep predicting like they are, the world may have already ended by aug/sept 2012. :)

Just kidding. For logistical sake though, I'd pick somewhere easily accessible to you, you're from NJ, so start there and hike north or south, or start about a month away and hike to it.

I really liked from Harper's Ferry, WV through the beginning of NY, but I'm from PA and a little baised. Everyone else hated PA's rock. Psh, rocks, at least you'd know what you're getting into if you plan to hike some more later. Watch out for bears in Jersey.