PDA

View Full Version : camping permit

MJN
11-13-2009, 23:45
Do you have to order a permit in advance, or can you get one when you get to the park too?

johnnybgood
11-14-2009, 00:20
Do you have to order a permit in advance, or can you get one when you get to the park too?
If you are referring to a Backcountry camping permit one can be gotten at any entrance station to SNP the day you arrive.om
Ask a Park Ranger for one or get it from the "permit box" at the information kiosk.

Nicksaari
11-14-2009, 18:02
get it at the kiosk, or the entrance stations to avoid three different rangers telling you three different things or "holding your hand" while filling it out for you, reiterating LNT ethics, which im sure you already know. and avoid at all costs the six-foot-three female ranger. explaining the rules like you are a child gets her hot and bothered.
and dont go to bearfence mountain shelter- its takes the cake for the decrepit, dank, and trashed shelter in SNP.
DO stay at Byrd's Nest Shelter #3. you will not regret it!

Blissful
11-14-2009, 21:17
Look online on the SNP gov site, I think you can get one in advance. But easier to do it when you get there and know your itinerary.

MJN
11-14-2009, 23:02
Alright thanks for the info. i misread the description on the Aldha companion, it sounded like i needed to order one a week in advanced if i wanted to hike in the park. that would not have been cool if i showed up and could not get in

Rain Man
11-15-2009, 11:28
Look online on the SNP gov site, I think you can get one in advance. But easier to do it when you get there and know your itinerary.

I got ours in advance by phone. They sent it via mail or fax (I forget which). It was not problem. In fact, they answered several questions I had and walked me through the logic and rules, to get my schedule right. And as I recall, I even made a change and they sent a revised version. I think the kiosk was out of forms when we hiked by, anyway.

By the way, unlike the GSMNP, the SNP permit is not for specific shelters. It is for "areas" (my word, not theirs). Just so they know which area you expect to be in any night.

Rain Man