PDA

View Full Version : Same Trail Name?

SargeAT
08-20-2004, 04:21
Hey Sarge, if that is your trail-name, how on god's earth did we end up with the same one? I was named "Sarge" for the fact that I spout a Beatles song for each time I see a white blaze. Rocky Raccoon would have been more fitting, but, oh well...

Sarge
08-20-2004, 05:41
I actually gave myself the name when I did my 3 month section hike 2 years ago. I had just retired from the military and had been a sergeant for 17 years. I also hiked in my camo BDU uniform pants since they are so comfortable and usefull with the big pockets on the side. The name just seemed appropriate at the time. If someone had suggested or given me another name I might have adopted it, but people could identify me by it and it stuck.

Sarge

Jaybird
08-20-2004, 05:45
i was in the radio biz for over 15 years....& went by Sargeant Preston for many of those years....& many of my friends from those days still call me "SARGE"....i guess...i'll stick with my trailname of: JAYBIRD

SargeAT
08-20-2004, 05:47
Of all the names I would have chosen to be the least common "Sarge" would have been among them. It would feel like such a sin to rename myself though.

SGT Rock
08-20-2004, 06:32
There was also a short time I went by Sarge. I still get called Sarge for short all the time on the trail. It dosn't bother me.

Chappy
08-20-2004, 11:24
There was also a short time I went by Sarge. I still get called Sarge for short all the time on the trail. It dosn't bother me.

When I came in the Army the First Sergeant was very often called "Top." Don't hear much of that anymore. On ocassion I've heard some 1SG's don't like to be called that. How do you feel?

SGT Rock
08-20-2004, 11:48
I am called Top all the time and it has never bothered me at all. When I was a private that is what we called the First Sergeants. I started hearing about First Sergeants that didn't want to be called top starting in about 1997, but the guy that was telling me the story was another First Sergeant who used to have a problem with it until his CSM told him he should allow it since it is a term of endearment from the soldiers. I do also get called Top on the trail and the boards, usually be a prior service that knows what that means.

sgtjinx
08-20-2004, 12:12
I am called Top all the time and it has never bothered me at all. When I was a private that is what we called the First Sergeants. I started hearing about First Sergeants that didn't want to be called top starting in about 1997, but the guy that was telling me the story was another First Sergeant who used to have a problem with it until his CSM told him he should allow it since it is a term of endearment from the soldiers. I do also get called Top on the trail and the boards, usually be a prior service that knows what that means.
Usely it's us, lifers or ol'timers who called the First Sergeant by Top.
I was a sergent in the Army. So I was using my rank in the service and my Harley-road-name. I have been going by Jinx for about 9 years or so. Had some bad luck, or maybe good luck it depends on the way you look at it.

Sgt. Jinx :cool:

Chappy
08-20-2004, 12:46
Usely it's us, lifers or ol'timers who called the First Sergeant by Top.
I was a sergent in the Army. So I was using my rank in the service and my Harley-road-name. I have been going by Jinx for about 9 years or so. Had some bad luck, or maybe good luck it depends on the way you look at it.

Sgt. Jinx :cool:

I like your signature...must be 11B! :)

SargeAT
08-20-2004, 12:47
I'm the only person on Whiteblaze thats not ex-military am I? Starting to feel like it.

sgtjinx
08-20-2004, 13:14
I like your signature...must be 11B! :)I sure was a 11 Bush. I spent eight years in and was going for 20 when I was hurt in a reppeling accdent. I was also cross-trained as a 31 V for about a year over at Schofield Brks.:cool:

2XL
08-20-2004, 14:36
What's the story behind the name CHAPPY?
It happens to be my middle name.
Yes, strange but true.