PDA

View Full Version : Durango to Arches

DuctTape
11-14-2009, 01:04
I'm in the "idea" stage of a major hike this summer/fall: CO Trail Denver to Durango, picking up the Hayduke Trail at Arches N.P., and following the AZ trail to Mexico.

Do you know of any major trails that could help patch in the section between Durango and Arches? I've heard of a mountain bike route, but can't find any specific maps or detailed info, or if it's even viable for backpackers regarding water.

I thought I'd pick up these maps in the near future if I become truly serious about this, with jeep roads etc., though they would not cover the longitude between Cortez CO and the UT border.
http://www.latitude40maps.com/sw-co.html (http://www.latitude40maps.com/sw-co.html)
http://www.latitude40maps.com/moabe.html (http://www.latitude40maps.com/moabe.html)

It looks like the ADT could fill in Arches to Grand Junction CO, so I'm interested in trails from Grand Junction to Durango too, but this route would we indirect and I'd miss out on the La Sal in Utah and potentially the Ute range as well.

If this piques anyone's interest, I'm looking for a hiking partner particularly for the Hayduke section, as it involves class 3-4 scrambles and good route finding skills in a lot of trail-less terrain, so I'm a little apprehensive about tackling that solo. I'm hoping to pass through Utah in September.

Dogwood
11-14-2009, 02:08
I like the way you think DuctTape! - outside of the box! That sounds like a fantastic first-to-do journey experiencing a great mix of mid western and southwestern landscaping.

Sorry can't help with the Durango CO to Grand Junction UT leg. Not even real sure what the ADT is? But, if you need any help with the Hayduke Tr. from Arches to where you will pick up the Arizona Tr at the Grand Canyon feel free to fire away or PM me. I have many suggestions that I think you might find helpful. The Hayduke Tr., IMO, has only short sections of Class 3. Not a really big deal. You don't need technical climbing skills for the Hayduke. However, you definitely need route finding, map, and compass skills for the Hayduke along with a detailed map set and, a high tolerance for being alone in some remote areas that don't respond kindly because of mistakes!

My guess is that you plan on a July - mid summer start date in Denver?

DuctTape
11-14-2009, 02:55
Well that's comforting to hear about the Hayduke - Class 3 is good with me. I like solitude but I estimate this whole thing at about 2,000 miles, so with the nature of the Hayduke I still think I'd prefer to have someone along, though it surely wouldn't end the trip if I didn't. Andy Skurka's description makes the Hayduke Trail sound pretty rough.

ADT = American Discovery Trail

Originally I thought it'd be cool to start at the southern end of the AZ in early spring nobo, with the CO trail to look forward to in mid-summer (I've been wanting to get to that one for a few years now), but I simply wouldn't have enough money etc. saved in time to begin, so yeah, sometime in July in Denver. I was hesitant about thinking early July (Getting to Utah too soon in flash flood season), but I don't think that would be a problem.

I had this idea a few weeks ago, but now just today I started to seriously consider it and risk getting a little excited. Who knows what could happen between now and July. On the JMT I was thinking about the PCT this year but for some reason it doesn't sound exciting to me like this one. To go on a long hike I've gotta really want to do it.

Dogwood
11-14-2009, 03:55
The Hayduke Tr is not a beginning hiker's route! I had Skurka's very reasonably priced mapset for the Sierra High Route this Fall. He didn't have the Hayduke Tr mapset ready when I did it this spring. If his Hayduke mapset is anything like the well thought out, presented, and easy to print mapset as the SHR I strongly suggest you consider getting it. The Hayduke is definitely a challenging route in many respects.

You have a lot of flexibility with when you can hike the Arizona Tr. I don't think this is so with the Hayduke or CT. Flash floods are a noteworthy concern but I think that is not as big of a concern as hiking in the desert in summer. I deal real well hiking in 100+ degree temps but I would not want to be hiking some of those dry hot desert portions of the Hayduke in mid summer! Likewise you don't want to be hitting the CT too late or too early.