PDA

View Full Version : Obese Thru-Hiking

DapperD
11-14-2009, 12:34
I can't seem to find the wisdom in the advice of other's when they state that physical preparation of any kind is really not necessary for a thru-hike, one needs only to arrive at the trailhead with their "head straight", that the mental aspects of the hike far outweigh any physical advantage one may begin with, and that they will eventually just get their "trail legs". To me this flies in the face of conventional wisdom and would seem totally detrimental to arrive in such a slothful condition to begin such an arduous journey. I was wondering what are other's thoughts on this?

Bearpaw
11-14-2009, 12:43
Folks with a lot of extra pounds can and DO complete thru-hikes. It's not the best strategy to show up in terrible shape, but if you've seen the scarecrows called NOBO thru-hikers in New England, you could also appreciate that training to the point of having very little body fat at the start of a thru-hike can also be detrimental.

Personally, I'd say starting a few cheeseburgers on the heavy side is better than a few salads on the lean side. Starting with a whole cow of extra weight is NOT the best approach.

neighbor dave
11-14-2009, 12:43
hike as far as you can, there's only one way to find out if you should or not, that's by doing it:sun

HeartFire
11-14-2009, 12:57
The only way to "get in shape" for a thru hike is to hike 15 miles a day (up hill) ... might as well do the 'getting in shape' part on the trail instead of your neighborhood.

Spirit Walker
11-14-2009, 13:08
If you start the trail in decent shape, you will enjoy the hike much more. A lot of people go home the first few days and weeks because the experience is simply too hard. By being in shape, you may be able to end the day with a smile, not a grimace.

OTOH, many hikers don't spend a lot of time preparing for their hikes. Most go home, but a few have the stubbornness to keep going, despite the pain.

I have always trained before starting a long hike. I walk every day. At least once a week I do a long hike. I eat well and try to lose some weight before I go. I think it has made a big difference in my enjoyment of the experience. Yes, it still takes a while before I am comfortable doing big miles, but not that long. I figure if I can backpack 15 miles a day before the hike starts, I'll make it. And I do.

Many Walks
11-14-2009, 14:00
I agree with everything stated so far. The Ladies tend to tone up on a thru and look better, while the guys tend to whither away and be fairly gaunt in the second half...at least in our experience. If you hit the trail heavy, just take your time and in a few weeks you'll start to be more comfortable. The constant exercise will take the pounds off. Just expect a hard time in the beginning.

white_russian
11-14-2009, 16:16
To me this flies in the face of conventional wisdom and would seem totally detrimental to arrive in such a slothful condition to begin such an arduous journey.
Hiking the AT doesn't have to be an arduous journey unless you make it that way. Its just walking. It isn't climbing Denali or something crazy like that. There are plenty of camping spots, regular water, towns every few days. It may be hard by scared townie standards, but in the realm of outdoor activities hiking on the AT is a cakewalk.

Even the most athletic person can make a thru hike miserable by overdoing it by their own standards.

Tilly
11-14-2009, 16:36
I did absolutely no training whatsoever for my hike. In fact, the last 2 weeks before I left I did even less activity-wise than usual, and I drank all the beer and ate all the desserts that I wanted. I live in Indiana, so it's pancake flat here and there's nowhere to hike.

I was not painful at all in the beginning. The pain did not come until I tried to do too many 20's in a row, in SNP through PA. I am just not built for that sort of thing.

That said, I was very very tired the first few weeks, but it was mitigated by taking some zero days every so often in the beginning, anyway. Actually I was pretty much exhausted-feeling the whole trip, so I don't think that training to begin with would help.

In the end unless you are really wanting to do the 'big miles' straight-away, I see nothing wrong with not training to begin with.

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2009, 16:51
DapperD:

Obviously, for all sorts of reasons, it helps if you're in good shape when you start your trip, and obviously, for those planning a long hike or a thru-hike, instead of adopting the attitude "The Trail will whip me into shape in a few weeks!", well it obviously makes more sense if you're reasonably fit at the outset.

So I don't think anyone is saying your physical shape at the outset isn't a factor.

Of course it is.

But the mental factor is also really important.

I've seen all sorts of folks who were in GREAT shape.....they were healthy, fit, ran marathons, bicycled, swam, you name it. But they weren't happy on the Trail and they quit in short order. On the otherhand, I've seen all sorts of folks who weren't athletes at all, and were in so-so shape to start, yet they persevered and stuck it out thru the tought times. They got in better shape, they tweaked their packs, they stuck it out thru tough terrain and bad weather. And they were still out there long after the "athletes" had quit and gone home.

Being in good shape at the start is a great help, but being (or becoming) mentally tough is just as important. You can be a former decathalete. But if your head ain't right out there, you are going home.

emerald
11-14-2009, 17:02
Kinda like life, isn't it?

drastic_quench
11-14-2009, 17:11
Starting in decent shape is also about much more than just extra pounds. When you're muscles, tendons, and even bones are used to exercise you're much less likely to have injuries or issues with them -- like shin splints for example.

Again, poundage aside, a couch potato - no matter how mentally tough - stands a greater chance of these sorts of injuries.

drastic_quench
11-14-2009, 17:12
your not you're (no edit)

wrongway_08
11-14-2009, 17:16
Just take it easy and go slow for the first few weeks. Not a big deal.

If you really want to prep for the hike, hike trails around home for a few months prior to the trip. Of course, if you are thinking of doing the trail, gotta figure you like to walk in the first place :).

Pedaling Fool
11-14-2009, 17:54
Given the right attitude and/or determination and barring any serious physical ailment anyone could complete the trail. Most that quit do so because of boredom, but they'll tell you any another excuse, such as injury, money...if the true reason so many get off were for injury, money or whatever, then the drop off rate wouldn't be so big in the beginning.

However, I do believe it's best to do some physical preparation, but not so much as cardio conditioning, rather impact/weight training because hiking is not a low-impact activity. And of course any hiking you can get in before a thru is a good thing. I also walked barefoot of pavement to toughen up my feet, so blisters was one less pain to work through during my hike.

I also believe you shouldn't look so much at physical preparation for a thru-hike. More or less use your hike as a total body transformation, a new start to be continued after your hike – sort of like a jumpstart to a new life style. Not many do that, that's why so many overweight hikers out there, which I kind of find baffling.

Slo-go'en
11-14-2009, 18:03
It is amazing how many "plus sized" hikers one sees on the trail down south, but I guess thats the average american these days. Don't see too many up north here, unless thier weekenders. I supose you either get fit or go home.

Men seem to shed the pounds a lot quicker than woman for some reason, much to the fustration of the ladies.

mudhead
11-14-2009, 18:09
Men seem to shed the pounds a lot quicker than woman for some reason, much to the fustration of the ladies.

But don't they get some legs.:)

Slo-go'en
11-14-2009, 18:11
But don't they get some legs.:)

Legs only another hiker can love :D

take-a-knee
11-14-2009, 18:20
The only way to "get in shape" for a thru hike is to hike 15 miles a day (up hill) ... might as well do the 'getting in shape' part on the trail instead of your neighborhood.

That is simply not true. A broad all-inclusive fitness like that produced by a program like www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com) equips you for LIFE, not just thru-hiking. A person who can leap flatfooted onto a 30in tall table, run a mile under 7:00, and load 2X bodyweight on a barbell and deadlift it or squat deep with said barbell on their back won't have any problem thru-hiking...or much else short of BUDS, SFAS or the NFL.

hopefulhiker
11-14-2009, 18:44
In 2005 I arrived at Springer in a slothful condition.. I was technically obese (about 20% over "ideal body weight") and the only physical preparation I had was falling down the stairs in my own house.. I started out really slow and was in EXTREME pain much of the time for about the first 400 miles.. About the time I got to Harpers Ferry I think I had gotten my trail legs.. Yes you can get to into shape on the trail, but the pain takes away from the enjoyment.

I did learn to take massive doses of Ibuprophren but I still am not sure of the consequences of this.

Looking back on it I wish I had gotten into better shape before I started the trail. I would have enjoyed it more.

JokerJersey
11-14-2009, 19:50
Since I've gotten out of the Marines 6 years ago, I've put on a bit of weight...ok, more than a bit. :o I've recently started an exercise routine to take some of that weight back off before I start out on the trail in a year or two.

My reasons for exercising ahead of time is simple. If I can manage to take off 40 pounds before I leave and I take a 35-40 pound pack with me...I'll be hauling the same weight uphill WITH a pack that I am now without one. So, in essence, I'll be slackpacking the entire trail. :D

saimyoji
11-14-2009, 19:54
That is simply not true. A broad all-inclusive fitness like that produced by a program like www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com) equips you for LIFE, not just thru-hiking. A person who can leap flatfooted onto a 30in tall table, run a mile under 7:00, and load 2X bodyweight on a barbell and deadlift it or squat deep with said barbell on their back won't have any problem thru-hiking...or much else short of BUDS, SFAS or the NFL.

yeah.....i would think that all the BS that comes with being obese would be motivation enough to get off the couch. :rolleyes:

Blissful
11-14-2009, 21:10
I can't seem to find the wisdom in the advice of other's when they state that physical preparation of any kind is really not necessary for a thru-hike, one needs only to arrive at the trailhead with their "head straight", that the mental aspects of the hike far outweigh any physical advantage one may begin with, and that they will eventually just get their "trail legs". To me this flies in the face of conventional wisdom and would seem totally detrimental to arrive in such a slothful condition to begin such an arduous journey. I was wondering what are other's thoughts on this?

Who said you shouldn't do any of any kind?

Physical exercise should be be done by everyone regardless if you hike or not. The point is whether this will makes you ready to complete a trail of this magnitude all the way to the end. Well, it can help, yeah. You'll puff less in the beginning and have more energy. Maybe not have AS many injuries (though I ran and walked and still had them). But your muscles, ligaments, tendons, are never going to be in the shape necessary for a hike like this until you actually DO IT. You can be a marathon runner and suffer a knee injury in the first four days (I know many that came down with ITB problems and shin splints, not to mention ankle and foot issues). Why? Because your ligaments are geared toward running, not hiking for weeks on end, day after day,without rest and good nutrition. It takes time to adjust to such rigors.

Even in pristine shape, people have dropped out - due to boredom, money, not fun, rain, etc. The mental challenge FAR outweighs physical for sure, esp in seeing the end of the race. Mental does not mean you have your head on straight at the beginning. It means you can deal with pain, hunger, cold, rain, sleet, freezing, wet clothes, stomach flu, colds, wet gear, boredom, fatigue, bugs, heat, fear, rocky- slippery-maddening terrain, posion ivy, other hikers, etc etc etc for six months straight, day after day, and do it all the way. Feel free to check out my mental anguishes on day 1, 2 etc if you want on my trail journal - it wasn't about physical at all in the beginning!

Convention wisdom would be to take the wisdom of hikers who have actually done it and endured the mental and physical toughess of the trail.... It's to say that a thru hike is multi faceted. Not just physical and gear. But good trail nutrition and mental awareness are also things I believe people take for granted.

And speaking of the "slothful" - my overweight son (a teen) completed the whole trail without ANY physical preparedness. Zilch. He stood up from the sofa and walked from Springer to Maine. yeah he had injuries (from falls which no physical preparedness can help you with), but he recovered and continued walking north. And lost 50 lbs. And loved it.

sbhikes
11-15-2009, 00:53
You can raise your fitness level while still being obese. You'll have a better time on the trail if you can already go backpacking without too much physical suffering. Like others have said, it really is just walking. But if just walking is a monumental task, you should get in shape before heading out.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2009, 01:15
fat folks walk every day. a fat folk on the trail will walk. just walk. what's the big deal?

stranger
11-15-2009, 02:08
You don't have to emulate exactly what you will be doing on the trail in order to get in decent trail shape. Common sense and work committments, as well as geographical limitations, means you will not be able to do this in most circumstances.

I did a 500 mile hike last year and didn't want to spend half my hike getting trail fit, so all I did was find a 3.7 mile trail loop trail, that was fairly difficult, and hiked it with 25lbs on my back, 3-4 times per week, for about 6 weeks. This made a huge difference for me when I got to Springer.

I was carrying about 26lbs all up with food and water and was easily able to cover 16-20 miles per day right from Springer Mountain. Fitness made a huge difference for me, and common sense says it would make a difference for anyone really.

The fact remains...it can only help you

drastic_quench
11-15-2009, 02:51
The fact remains...it can only help you
Well put.

Dialeight44
11-15-2009, 04:50
I started my thru hike overweight and out of shape with very little preparation, but the key to my success was I knew it. I would not allow myself to hike over ten miles for the first three weeks of my thru hike, even if I felt good and knew I could hike farther on a given day. I took my time and payed attention to my body all the way to Fontana Dam (along with many nights of Vitamin I). In short, I lost 30 pounds by Damascus, 50 pounds by Harpers Ferry, and 75 pounds for my entire thru hike, which I completed in slightly over six months. I also took zero days when I didn't feel like hiking, but never allowed myself to take two in a row (with the exception of Trail Days and a minor bowel problem in Vermont). My mental toughness, dedication, great trail friends, and positive attitude allowed me to complete my hike. It was the best six months of my life. You will not regret it.

Gorgonzola
GA>ME 2009

Lemni Skate
11-15-2009, 07:41
What's the motivation for hiking?

Some people hike to get in shape. What's wrong with someone saying to themselves, "I hate jogging; I hate gyms; I hate lifting weights. Too boring. However, I love nature and solitude and a touch of adventure. Maybe the way for me to get in shape is to backpack. Maybe, if I thru hike the AT, I'll get in shape and maybe after that I won't hate jogging, gyms and lifting weights so much. Maybe, I'll be healthy enough to live a few more quality years on this planet?'

I think that in a perfect world we'd all show up at springer with 2% body fat and able to carry 50 pounds on our back while we run a 6 minute mile, but it's not a perfect world. Let people hike their own hike for whatever their reasons are.

I personally am out of shape (5'11" 252 lbs.) and have been hiking a lot the last two years to correct that. While I can't seem to drop a lot of weight (20 pounds or so), I feel a lot better. I've taken to running this fall because my daughter joined the cross country team (she's only in 7th grade, but running with the high school and beating most of them(23:36 5K in her district meet)--I'm so proud) and she's inspired me. I've run two 5K's and plan to have run a 15K before I go out and hike this summer.

Then, on June 12th in Burke's Garden there is a half marathon and 5K. My whole family is going to run the 5k that day and then we're hitting the AT and heading south to Damascus. Then we're turning around and shuttling back to Burke's Garden before hiking back to SNP and home. I'm excited about getting in shape and seeing how I feel on the trail after all the running (and weight training), but I have enjoyed the hell out of every hike I've already done (SNP all the way to MD/PA line and Georgia) and while I might have more stamina and cover more ground, I don't think I'll have any more fun.

The trail's for everyone and you don't need to be in shape to enjoy most of it.

garlic08
11-15-2009, 10:17
Who said you shouldn't do any of any kind?

I think the people who say there's no need to exercise in the off-season are experienced thru hikers, and may be a little smug about it. There are a few of those on this site, so that's why you hear that fairly often here.

After I finish a long hike, I know I really don't have much extra energy for a while and don't even think about much exercise other than eating, and just walking some more, which hardly seems like exercise.

SawnieRobertson
11-15-2009, 11:19
On a different thread which I read recently, someone quoted Ben Franklin in which he was purported to have said something like "Failure to prepare is to prepare to fail." My experiences have certainly confirmed that.--Formerly Fat Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
11-15-2009, 11:22
On a different thread which I read recently, someone quoted Ben Franklin in which he was purported to have said something like "Failure to prepare is to prepare to fail." My experiences have certainly confirmed that.--Formerly Fat Kinnickinic

Actually, I should have signed off "Formerly Obese Kinnickinic." I'm still working to achieve a BMI that would label me "Formerly Overweight Kinnickinic," but I still have 10 pounds of the heavy, cumbersome stuff to burn off.--FO Kinnickinic

weary
11-16-2009, 12:31
Obviously the better fit you are when you start, the easier a thru hike will be. But if you have the wisdom to start slow and listen to your body, walking -- even walking on the Appalachian Trail -- is an excellent way to get into good physical condition.

I walked almost every day on gravel roads around my town the fall and winter before stqrting the trail in April of 1993. (Most of our town's 31 miles of woodland trails weren't built until after I returned home.)

But the first few weeks in Georgia and North Carolina were difficult anyway. There's really no easy training for walking 15 miles a day up hills and down with a heavy pack, other than walking 15 miles a day up hills and down with a heavy pack.

Weary

Mags
11-16-2009, 12:46
I think the people who say there's no need to exercise in the off-season are experienced thru hikers, and may be a little smug about it. There are a few of those on this site, so that's why you hear that fairly often here.

I think the former thru-hikers who say "no need to exercise" have not made the outdoors a real part of their life. They are thru-hikers first...and happen to go outside once every 2 yrs for extended periods of time.

Sorry to be harsh, but think there is some validity to this thought.

I loved my thru-hikes. They are some of the watershed moments in my life.

But to "only" hike every 2 yrs would kill me.

I need the outdoors in my daily life.

And to enjoy the outdoors in my daily life, I want to be in shape. Break trail on that fresh powder deep in the woods and break out in a valley below the Divide. Climb that trailless 13er and see the herds of wild elk on the ridge where no one else goes. Being able to haul in 50+ lbs of food, wine and other assorted goodies on skis for a dear friend's 40th b-day.

So that is why I advocate fitness...not just for a 2000 mile hike..but for life.

I want to enjoy life. Because I want to enjoy the outdoors for more than just a few months every few years.

ps. Garlic obviously knows this..but he is NOT in the "hike every 2 yrs" category. I did too many face plants in the snow that he witnessed. :D

DrRichardCranium
11-16-2009, 12:49
When I used to backpack in the White Mountains with my brother & my friends, I found that weight training helped a LOT. Progessive resistance training not only strenghtens muscles, it also strengthens connective tissue.

The squat machine exercises had definitely helped. Really put a spring in my step & helped going up those hills. I was able to hike further & faster than the other guys in the group. And I wasn't sore the next day.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 12:58

I started a thread about prep for my thru- got some very conflicting advice, some of it good about exactly how I should prep, and some saying I really don't need to. (I say some was good-about working out, because that is what I wanted to hear)

In my opinion, it is true that by week three, we'll all be in pretty much the same shape. But I think that if we work out now, it'll make those first three weeks slightly less painful. I know that working out on a stair master or using weights is not perfect prep for hiking, but it'll help.

My plan is this: work out at the gym on weekdays (stairmaster, elliptical machine, and a couple weights sometimes), and on weekends and whenever I have time, just walk everywhere on my roads with my boots and loaded pack on. I have some steep roads around me, so it'll be good. And when I can, I'll do a real two day hike in Delaware Water Gap area.

weary
11-16-2009, 14:21
I resist grading our town trails, because I'm convinced the easiest way to stay fit is to walk a rough, woodland trail. Stepping over rocks and fallen logs, pulling on vegetation to get up steep sections, using a walking staff for an occasional boost, exercises the whole body, not just the legs.

Anyway, walking rough trails -- and building and maintaining them -- keeps me reasonably fit and healthy as I begin my ninth decade on this earth.

I cut back brush to thwart the ticks and to prevent people from losing the trail. I build bog bridges to prevent ever expanding mud puddles that eventually drain into and pollute lakes and streams.

But I don't remove logs that are easily stepped over, nor rocks and boulders. I figure they make a good walking trail, a better walking trail.

Weary

Cookerhiker
11-16-2009, 14:39
.....My plan is this: work out at the gym on weekdays (stairmaster, elliptical machine, and a couple weights sometimes), and on weekends and whenever I have time, just walk everywhere on my roads with my boots and loaded pack on. I have some steep roads around me, so it'll be good. And when I can, I'll do a real two day hike in Delaware Water Gap area.

Sounds like a good approach. One sugestion: since you're close enough to DWG, what about Lehigh Gap? Take 2-3 training hikes up that with a full pack and you'll be ready for anything in Georgia.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 14:51
Sounds like a good approach. One sugestion: since you're close enough to DWG, what about Lehigh Gap? Take 2-3 training hikes up that with a full pack and you'll be ready for anything in Georgia.

Aah!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Dude, don't even mention Lehigh Gap to me. I did that hike last year when I was very dehydrated and it was awful... I'll hike that one more time- on my thru. I kow it would be a good workout, but that climb... The bonus is that I could get a chocoalte milkshake in Palmerton afterwards, to keep my spirit up...

(Anyway, it's about 1 1/2- 2 hours from me, so it would be feasible, but not easy)

You mean the NoBo climb out of Palmerton, right? Not the SoBo part?

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 14:52
You're right though- it would be really good prep.

Disney
11-16-2009, 15:21
Shouldn't we at least mention age?

An out of shape individual in their 20's is going to get in shape much faster on the trail than someone in their 50's. It's just a fact of life, there's more to it than simple weight. Your body will adapt faster while you're young.

Further, it depends on how long you've been out of shape. If you're near retirement haven't exercised since a coach with a clipboard made you run laps and kept blowing a whistle at you, It's going to be very very tough. Not impossible, but very very tough. If you spent 40 years working out, and have slipped a bit over the last few years, it's not going to be as much of an issue.

On the scarecrow issue, it's real. I'd much rather have an extra 15 pounds of fat on than have 6 pack abs. AND if you're starting early, that extra fat is insulation. Do you know how hard it is for people with no body fat to keep warm? Pretty dang hard.

Take your time in the beginning, get your trail legs under you and you'll be fine. But don't kill yourself hiking till 10 pm trying to start off with 20 mile days.

saimyoji
11-16-2009, 15:33
Aah!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Dude, don't even mention Lehigh Gap to me. I did that hike last year when I was very dehydrated and it was awful... I'll hike that one more time- on my thru. I kow it would be a good workout, but that climb... The bonus is that I could get a chocoalte milkshake in Palmerton afterwards, to keep my spirit up...

(Anyway, it's about 1 1/2- 2 hours from me, so it would be feasible, but not easy)

You mean the NoBo climb out of Palmerton, right? Not the SoBo part?

i got into hiking shape hiking up Mt. Tamany via the red-dot trail. my time up to the top the first time was over an hour. now i do it in just under 30 min., no breaks and i'm not really even winded when i get up there. it can be done easily. the hardest part is getting your ass out the door and onto the trail.

DrRichardCranium
11-16-2009, 17:15
On the scarecrow issue, it's real. I'd much rather have an extra 15 pounds of fat on than have 6 pack abs. AND if you're starting early, that extra fat is insulation. Do you know how hard it is for people with no body fat to keep warm? Pretty dang hard.

Yep. That's why I do a regular workout regimen of 12-ounce curls.;)

Bearpaw
11-16-2009, 17:46
Aah!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Dude, don't even mention Lehigh Gap to me.

Lehigh Gap will be a cakewalk by the time you get there on a thru-hike. All a part of the conditioning the trail provides.;)

weary
11-16-2009, 18:34
Shouldn't we at least mention age?
Sure. I was 64 when I started. A weenie in high school 45 years earlier. Zero sports. Zero coaches. And had spent 40 years either briefly in college or at desk jobs.

I was a weekend warrior at times -- more accurately a twelve times a year warrior.

As I said, I had a hard time initially. But though not an "ATC" certified thru hiker, six months and three days later I landed on Katahdin.

I know. Nothing I've just posted adds any material information to this thread. But moderators should take care to be kind to us oldsters.

Weary, though old and decrepit, can still build trails, maintain trails, and promote the use of trails to encourage a new generation to love the woods and mountains.

Jim Adams
11-17-2009, 01:58
Yo, "whole cow" here.
I have not worked out prior to any of my thrus and tend to hit the trail n poor condition (fairly round shape) and yet I have not had any problems hiking because of it. I usually start losing weight the first week get my trail legs in about 2 weeks.
In 1990 I hit Springer @ 212lbs. and finished @ 147lbs.
In 2002 I hit Springer @ 234lbs. and finished @ 165lbs.
In 2007 I hit the Mexican border @ 282lbs. and ran out of cash @ Yosemite @ 224lbs.
I am currently @ 248lbs. and losing everyday, and yes I feel better...everyday.
The AT can be physical at times but is far more mental than physical.

OTOH, I have seen MANY hikers start in very good condition only to find that: a. it isn't the type of challenge that their day to day workouts prepared them for and they lose interest OR b. they take off like a bat outa hell and are at home injured within 3 weeks.
Unless you have some type of medical problem that would put so much strain on your body that you could die, I think that if you use you head, go slow and accept the fact that you need to go this route to get into condition to finish, you should have no problems physically.
I have seen many happy over weight thru hikers because they have their head together and go slow enough to have fun and enjoy the trail and I have also seen very unhappy or disappointed hikers in great condition because it wasn't what they expected. Most of the time I have found that over weight hikers make alot of friends and have very few bad days and in shape hikers are consumed with pack weight and miles per day. These are just my observations but it still points back to mental...if you are not having fun then go home, no matter what level your conditioning is.

geek

slow
11-17-2009, 21:45
Funny x Military overweight members can tell You how to do it ?But yet after even a thru they are still out of shape?:o

take-a-knee
11-17-2009, 22:17
Funny x Military overweight members can tell You how to do it ?But yet after even a thru they are still out of shape?:o

Speak for yourself dude, this trooper ain't outa shape.

slow
11-17-2009, 22:35
You must be a crossfit DUDE...TO TRY TO GET BACK IN SOME SHAPE?:D

DrRichardCranium
12-11-2009, 15:07
Round is a shape.

Jim Adams
12-11-2009, 20:39
Like a bowling ball!!!!!!

geek

drifters quest
12-11-2009, 21:01
I don't think there is anything wrong with starting the trail out of shape and overweight, just like any other type of exercise- start slow and build up. I think the last thing we should be telling people is that they are too heavy to exercise since essentially hiking IS exercise.
The first few weeks may be easier if you are in shape, but for some people weight loss along the AT may be a goal. We all are hiking the AT for a different reason so we have no right to tell people they shouldn't be on trail. I think the one important thing about starting the trail out of shape is to just be realistic of your capabilities. Start slow so as not to cause injuries early on in the hike. I think mentally though for someone overweight this is easier than someone who is at a good weight and in ok shape. Don't hike till you feel like you're gonna collapse, hike a reasonable distance until your body is ready to up the mileage. By doing this you can decrease your chance of injuries greatly. It's really the same with any type of exercise, start slow, slowly increase duration and intensity as your body becomes more fit.

kayak karl
12-11-2009, 21:36
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mylesdgrant/3592759940/

XCskiNYC
12-11-2009, 22:23

As Weary said, the best way to get in shape for the AT is to hike the AT.

Going up hundreds, or thousands, of feet per day and then descending hundreds, or thousands of feet per day, with that big weight on your back, it's a uniquely energy-burning activity.

Maybe "uniquely" isn't the right word because there are probably some physical activities that are even more arduous. But AT hiking is up there.

Sometimes people will post that they run a certain number of miles per day so they figure they are all set for their hike. They may have a surprise in store. It's not like running a road mile is easy, but ticking off a mile on the trail is usually a substantial accomplishment.

It's true too that age will have a large bearing on your experience. But you can't change your age (unless you wait a very long time to start your hike).

What you can do is change the weight of your pack. You probably know this already but if you are thinking of starting with a 40-lb pack, I'd strongly suggest that you try to get it down to 30 (YMMV of course if you are a large person, say over six-feet tall..... then you could maybe handle five more pounds).

Getting up into the high-30 to 40-lb territory is not only going to make the hike tougher and increase the likelihood of falls, but it's going to make those worse when they do happen (and they seem to pretty much happen to everybody).

To return to your question, you could get yourself prepared for a long-distance AT hike, but it's not easy to replicate the physical challenge and, anyway, your body is going to adjust to the hike within a week or two or three. Then it's just a matter of getting up, getting packed, and getting back on the trail another day.

Mags
12-11-2009, 22:27
Getting up into the high-30 to 40-lb territory is not only going to make the hike tougher

Being 30-40 lbs overweight does not help either for similar reasons...

:)

Gator 65
01-14-2010, 13:37
Starting off overweight is not a problem because you will need 4000-4500 calories a day in the begining. Burning all of that body off fat is a positive. I left weighing 193 lbs. and finished at 159 lbs. After 4 weeks and the loss of most of the body fat I would crash every day about 2 pm. It is hard to get 4500 calories a day into your body. You will soon get the trail legs and cover more distance. Never turn down the opportunity to eat and eat SOMETHING at least evry hour such as a snickers, trail mix, etc.

Frosty
01-14-2010, 15:51
The only way to "get in shape" for a thru hike is to hike 15 miles a day (up hill) ... might as well do the 'getting in shape' part on the trail instead of your neighborhood.There is a lot of truth to this. Thru-hiking condition is more than just strong leg muscles and deep aerobic capacity.

Gym fitness is great for a lot of things, but not everything. There is a difference between being strong enough to climb 2000 feet in a day without strain. It is something else to do it today, tomorrow, the next day and the next, etc etc etc.

There is a cumulatve effect of daily use on tendons, particularlly the knees. Better to be out of 'condition' and forced to start with low-mileage days and zeroes, than to be a gym rat in good 'condition' and have four-five great days before tendons call it quits. Best of course, is to be in shape but have the mental discipline to take it slow to start. Easier said than done when you've done 15 miles and it is only lunch time, and you KNOW you can do another 5 without breaking a sweat.

DrRichardCranium
01-14-2010, 16:43
Better to be out of 'condition' and forced to start with low-mileage days and zeroes, than to be a gym rat in good 'condition' and have four-five great days before tendons call it quits. Better to be out of 'condition' and forced to start with low-mileage days and zeroes, than to be a gym rat in good 'condition' and have four-five great days before tendons call it quits.

Um, if you do progressive resistance exercise, your muscles AND your connective tissue will both be more developed. So being a "gym rat" would be a GOOD thing, providing you're doing the right exercises and with correct form.

BrianLe
01-14-2010, 20:21
Seems to me that a hybrid approach is a good one. I'm not focusing on my weight per se, but as another physical issue starts to allow me to walk more I do want to walk a good bit, do some on-trail walking, do some modest, basic prep.

I.e., while on the one hand I don't think that a person needs --- or necessarily even wants --- to get down to a "month on the trail" level of lean and fitness ahead of time, I do think it's important to have some decent leg strength and endurance, if for no other reason than to not put too much stress on joints, shocking the system going immediately from complete couch potato-hood to walking all day.

take-a-knee
01-14-2010, 23:58
Um, if you do progressive resistance exercise, your muscles AND your connective tissue will both be more developed. So being a "gym rat" would be a GOOD thing, providing you're doing the right exercises and with correct form.

That's it, what Frosty is talking about mostly applies to distance runners, they have built up a high cardiorespiratory capacity and almost nothing else. They exist on the verge of injury ( typically from a lack of flexibilty) and often on the trail it doesn't take long to happen. Today I jumped rope to warm up, ran 400m as fast as I could then did situps and back exstentions on a glute ham developer, 3 rounds. Tommorrow I'll do one of my three weekly 3 mile runs at lunch and then do front barbell squats in the evening. I don't have any trouble doing 12-15 hiking miles daily and I'm not stupid enough to try to 20+ day after day. Like the Duke said, "If you're gonna be stupid, you've gotta be tough."

weary
01-15-2010, 00:04
There's no such thing as being "too fit" to hike the trail. The stronger your legs and lungs are for physical exertion, the better. But it is also necessary to remember that almost nothing provides all the training needed for the daily strain on often unused muscles and joints of a thru hike.

I don't care how many marathons you run, or how many ultras. Walking a trail for days on end, up hill and down, with a pack is unlike anything you can realistically prepare for -- short of walking a trail for days on end, up hill and down, with a pack.

Start slow. Don't ignore little symptoms. They grow surprisingly fast into big problems. I basically wandered up the trail. Seven miles at first represented a big day. I progressed to an occasional 20 mile day.

But I was met from time to time with folks from home who were avid hikers -- far more avid than I had ever been. By the time I reached Harpers Ferry they were struggling to keep up. Only a long trail trains you to hike a long trail. But getting as fit as possible before you start, certainly helps.

I'm sort of amazed at what I can still do, despite beginning my ninth decade of living on this earth -- and after having been a victim of lung destroying medical malpractice. I don't frequent gyms. I don't jog. But I do maintain trails. Not daily. But often enough to still be able to maintain trails.

I sometimes dream of being a couch potato. I tend to sleep later in the mornings these days. But the trails need maintaining. And all the younger "old people" I know, tell me, "I'm too old for this stuff." So I get up and head out.

Weary

Frosty
01-15-2010, 00:51
Um, if you do progressive resistance exercise, your muscles AND your connective tissue will both be more developed. So being a "gym rat" would be a GOOD thing, providing you're doing the right exercises and with correct form.Being a gym rat is a good thing health-wise. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. Strong muscles and tendons are a good thing. So is aerobic capacity.

What I tried to say was what my doctor told me, that the resistance you get from strength training is not the same as the load placed on your tendons by hiking every day for multiple days, and that strength training will prepare you for a day or weekend of hiking, but not 10 consequetive days of it.

What I meant was that being out of shape is not necessarily a bad thing to start the trail IF you are aware of your condition and take it slow to start out.

But there are so many conflicting theories of health and medicine, there is very little definite, and what works for one person may not work for another. That message sometimes seems to disappear where weight loss and fitness get discussed, and people think that their way is the only way. Sometimes it seems like we are discussing religins, people get so hot over their brand of fitness. One thing for sure, if you are fit, what you are doing is working for you.

But I'm no doctor, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for a long time, so what do I know? I'll be at the Hiker Hostel tomorrow night, though, so I must be doing something right :D

JAK
01-15-2010, 01:47
You should be 12-20% fat at the start of a long hike.
Best way to lose the weight - a long hike.

Failing that, weekend hikes with hills,
and some weight training and active recovery walking during the week,
and real food.

JAK
01-15-2010, 01:52
Thus we never actually live, but hope to live,
and since we are always planning how to be happy,
it is inevitable that we should never be so.
- Blaise Pascal, Pensees

take-a-knee
01-15-2010, 13:10
Thus we never actually live, but hope to live,
and since we are always planning how to be happy,
it is inevitable that we should never be so.
- Blaise Pascal, Pensees

Any man who quotes Pascal can't be all bad!:sun

Disney
01-15-2010, 13:42
Start slow. Don't ignore little symptoms. They grow surprisingly fast into big problems. I basically wandered up the trail. Seven miles at first represented a big day. I progressed to an occasional 20 mile day.

That's all true. I did the approach trail, and I didn't make it to Springer. I barely made it to that old shelter before Springer. I started after noon, but still.

A week or two later, what felt like an odd vibration in one my my Achilles tendons one day became excruciatingly painful and required a few zero days to get over.

Listen to your body. Push it, but listen to it.