PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a place to get cheap wool socks?

Ridgeline
11-14-2009, 13:59
Just wondering if any of you guys know a website that sells wool socks on the cheap...I'm not looking for high end hiking socks...just some basic, warm wool socks for kickin around the house on cold winter nights...thanks

sheepdog
11-14-2009, 14:43
Costco or Sam's club. I just bought four pair of wool socks for $15

Wise Old Owl
11-14-2009, 14:48
IT's Hunting Season! 2pair top quality wicking in the Hunting Dept. $9 Get a quantity as they dissappear after January and won't be back till late October next year.

Compass
11-14-2009, 14:53
Costco has a knock off that are a lot like Smartwool's that are 4 pairs for $10. I use them for everyday use but Smartwool's for hiking.

grayfox
11-14-2009, 15:00
I sort of hate to say this but Walmart is a good place to look for socks. What you want to do is read the contents listed very carefully. Wool=warm and wicking. Nylon=strength and wear resistance. Polyester=less water absorbed and quick drying. Miracle fibers=various strengths and weaknesses. Cotton=comfy at home.
My favorite warm, comfy, wicking fiber is alpaca--not at Wally World though and not usually cheap. My next favorite is angora, which I have found at many stores. Nylon dress socks off the rack make good liners. You can buy local and look for good quality and construction. Flat toe seams are important. As far as brands that are reliable to buy on the net-Fox River, Smartwool, Bridgedale have all worked for me. Also, you might like fleece socks for at home or nighttime at camp. They don't work too well in hiking boots but are ok in Tevas and winter pakboots. IMHO highend socks are getting way out of line pricewise.

Old Grouse
11-14-2009, 15:41
Another vote for Costco. I wear 'em every day, including for hiking.

Feral Bill
11-14-2009, 17:18
Costco socks are not available on line. So sad. I'm wearing them right now!

Nicksaari
11-14-2009, 17:19
sierra trading post bro!!!

Shutterbug
11-14-2009, 18:17
Just wondering if any of you guys know a website that sells wool socks on the cheap...I'm not looking for high end hiking socks...just some basic, warm wool socks for kickin around the house on cold winter nights...thanks

The Costco socks are cheaper, but the Campmor socks my favorites. Here is the link:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19830

Bags4266
11-14-2009, 18:41
I use the Costco as well. $2.50 a pair!!!!! Merino wool. Don't get any better. I use them winter and summer.

WILLIAM HAYES
11-14-2009, 19:35
try wally mart I just bought a pair of wool blend socks with antimicrobial properties yesterday for 6.99

Cabin Fever
11-14-2009, 23:46
Another vote for Sierra Trading Post. I just ordered 5 pairs of Bridgedales for about $6 each with a coupon. Bridgedales are my personal favorite.

papa john
11-15-2009, 08:52
If you are ever near Cleveland, TN there is a factory outlet store (actually in the factory) where you can get SmartWool socks dirt cheap. I'm talking like $3 a pair! The selection changes frequently and they don't always have the right kind of SW socks so it is hit and miss. They also have a good selection of cotton socks at really nice prices. I've never left there without a nice bagful of socks and spent less than $20. There is a thread on this forum somewhere with directions to the store.

generoll
11-15-2009, 09:12
exit 27. turn towards Cleveland and go to Michigan Ave. Turn left and go a couple of miles. The building is a non-descript metal warehouse where the socks are made. the outlet is in the front of the building. I think there's a small sign on the right sign of the road alerting you to the turn off to Charleston Hosiery Mill.

QuebecRun
11-15-2009, 09:57
Definitly the Sam's Club / Cosco socks. Got enough to wear everyday in winter, not just for hiking. Soft, warm. Excellent socks. Can't beat the price.

papa john
11-15-2009, 10:47
exit 27. turn towards Cleveland and go to Michigan Ave. Turn left and go a couple of miles. The building is a non-descript metal warehouse where the socks are made. the outlet is in the front of the building. I think there's a small sign on the right sign of the road alerting you to the turn off to Charleston Hosiery Mill.

Thanks for the directions! I remember I was heading home and was coming up on Cleveland when I remembered about the sock outlet. I had no idea of where it was or even what exit. So, I got on the cellphone and called my daughter and had her come to WB and do a search for the directions.

Wags
11-15-2009, 10:49
try tj max or marshalls. you can often find smartwools or icebreakers that have 'cosmetic defects only' for $5 a pair

Phlashlite
11-15-2009, 11:14
local army surplus/pwan shop about 3.00 per pair new smart wool and others

Mags
11-16-2009, 13:11
I have found old school ragg wool socks for $7 a pair at the local army/navy store. It is what I use for winter activities (ski touring mainly). They are warm and wear like iron.

Very similar to these:
http://jetsfloridaoutdoors.com/store/apparel-socks-norwegian-p-2419.html?currency=USD&language=en

Grinder
11-16-2009, 13:57
I bought some of those from a surplus store I buy from (http://www.majorsurplus.com/Default.aspx ).
They were labeled as "swedish army socks" 3 pair for 10 or 12 dollars. I kinda think "rag wool" is the key word here

Wore them for a few years, heavy enough for slippers at home. The bottoms finally wore out and I couldn't find replacements anywhere. They took some getting used to as they were itchy as hell at first.