PDA

View Full Version : Stove for 3-4 thru hikers?

trapezeboy
11-14-2009, 15:19
Hey all, myself and a couple of buddies are planning our SOBO thru-hike to start in June, and we are all finally starting to get to the gear buying phase of the planning...

Any recommendations on a good, efficient, relatively eco-friendly stove that would work for 3-4 people?

we are also all trying to get our packs below 30lb so the lighter the better!

Spokes
11-14-2009, 16:03
Trapezeboy, are you guys wanting a "community" stove? Why? Have you considered each carrying their own alcohol stove? It's the lightweight standard on the trail and everyone wouldn't be dependent on just one stove.

Peaks
11-14-2009, 16:16
If cooking as a group (even if it's just 2 people), I would suggest a white gas stove such as the MSR whisperlite.

Feral Bill
11-14-2009, 16:42
See the many stove threads. A SVEA can cook for 4 with at less than 5oz/person. Reliable, too. Of course you then must stay together. Two white gas stoves gives you more flexability at more weight.

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2009, 16:46
I also second the idea that folks bring along their own stoves and cooksets, or perhaps bring one stove for each two guys.

The problem with having just one stove for 3-4 people is that you'll need to boil a crazy ammount of water and you'll need a really large (and really heavy) cookpot).

If you bring more than one stove, you have all sorts of options: People can prepare and cook their own meals independently, or better yet, if you have two or three stoves, you can cook and eat independently, but then eat communally, sharing what everyone cooked.

But one stove for four guys means you'll be boiling a whole lot of water, will be carrying a humungous cookpot, and will be eating quite awhile after you make camp.

Something else to think about: Not everyone likes to eat the same stuff out there. If everyone else in the group is happy with some sort of mac 'n cheese/pasta glop every single night, but you've come to hate it, what are you gonna do? Go hungry? Picking and choosing your OWN food is really improtant to a lot of folks on a long hike, and it'll drive you crazy at dinnertime if everyone else decides to cook and eat something you can't stand or have grown tired of.

Other advantages to everyone having their own stuff: There may well be a time when the group doesn't necessarily stick together or end up camping at the same place at the end of the day. If everyone has their own stuff, then this is no problem. If you're NOT the one carrying the stove, it is a problem, and it's a real drag while hiking to find yourself dependent, or not independent, because you're not carrying stuff you discover you really need. Sooner or later, you'll either end up pulling up short cuz you have to stop and camp where the stove is, or worse, you'll have to end up doing big miles even if you're tired and beat up cuz your pals with the stove are five miles ahead of you. Either way, this is no fun, and makes for a good way to start hating your trail partners.

And lastly, don't mean to be a downer here, but keep in mind that not many groups that start together necessarily finish together, i.e. faster people go ahead, slower people fall behind and need more time, and in all likelihood, someone who starts the trip might elect to leave the Trail.

For all sorts of reasons, I'd start the Trail making sure everyone is independent, meaning they're carrying what they themselves will need as far as food, clothing, gear, shelter, etc. I think it's great if you guys want to set out together, hike together, make camp together, and of course, eat dinner together.

But for any numberof reasons, I think it'd be better off if you all carried your own independent gear, and this includes you stove and cookset.

Lyle
11-14-2009, 16:47
Personally, I would seriously consider everyone carrying their own gear. 2200 miles is a LONG way to stay with one group, even if you are best of friends. I'm pretty certain you will welcome the flexibility of separate gear. Husband/Wife, significant other couples may be the exception.

With Alcohol stoves, it's not all that much weight.

trapezeboy
11-14-2009, 23:43
Thanks guys, this was really helpful! hehe, it didn't even occur to me to carry multiple stoves until you all mentioned it, but it makes complete sense! Thanks again!

generoll
11-15-2009, 09:30
late to this bit, if you still like the idea of a community stove, go on EBay and look for one of the Sigg cooksets paired with a Svea stove (see my avatar). This is an absolute perfect marriage of stove and cookset. the large pot is big enough to cook noodles or spaghetti, the set is aluminum so it's no heavier then four separate cooksets combined. 4 people require 4 times as much water as one person, regardless how many pots you divide it between. I'd guess that using one stove as opposed to 4 stoves would actually require less fuel overall.

As already mentioned, you will have to stay together. How much of a problem that is depends on you. Each person will also have to carry their own cup and bowl or plate. Your call.

Skyline
11-15-2009, 10:28
Having to stay together just so you can do something as essential as eating is going to cramp your collective style and will almost certainly cause friction. Somewhere between Georgia and Maine y'all will want or need to separate for myriad reasons, or will not want to eat exactly the same food at precisely the same time.

The light bulb will eventually go on: You need three individual stoves. Might as well plan for that now rather than have to swap out gear during the hike.

There are a number of lightweight solo stoves out there including commercial alcohol, homemade alcohol, and esbit fuel/stoves.

Pedaling Fool
11-15-2009, 10:48
Thanks guys, this was really helpful! hehe, it didn't even occur to me to carry multiple stoves until you all mentioned it, but it makes complete sense! Thanks again!
I would never share anything that is in the remotest sense essential. Nothing ever goes as planned on the trail, if you share anything it seriously reduces spontaneity on the trail and requires you to be rigid and inflexible.

Also, I've seen many friendships destroyed on the trail, not just between people that had met on the trail, but also life-long friends and they were sharing equipment, such as stoves, tents...

I think it's best to have your own gear and if tensions start to rise separate on good terms and when serendipity brings you back together it'll be a great reunion.