PDA

View Full Version : Flash!!! New stove, but not impressed

Pedaling Fool
11-14-2009, 18:32
I went to the outfitter today and saw that Jetboil has a new PCS http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/flash.html

I bought my PCS a few years ago for $50, but then noticed they soon went up to $80. I thought it was a pretty good deal for 50, but kind of iffy on 80; today if I needed a new stove I think I'll just get a pocket rocket.

However, when I saw this new stove (Jetboil Flash Cooking System) I couldn't believe they were selling it for $100, but really no difference, other than a few cheap gimmicks, from a standard PCS.

Can anyone who has gotten this new stove vouch for the gimmicks being worth an extra $20?

mudhead
11-14-2009, 19:29
I paid $48. I would pay $48 again. Not $80. For the old one.:)

Why they have the color change when hot indicator is beyond me. You can hear when it is hot. Protecting the igniter makes sense.

The purple color is kinda special.

If anyone sees the old version on mega sale somewhere, please PM me.

tuswm
01-07-2010, 17:23
I just got one(PCS) at REI for 20 bucks but it was missing the lid.

leaftye
01-07-2010, 18:21
$100 doesn't really seem like that bad of a price. It's a canister stove, plus a 1 liter pot, plus a really awesome "windscreen", plus a cup. As for why the prices increased so much. I don't know. I wish my investments increased as much as the price of the jetboil in that span of time.

hal0ofwint3r
03-06-2010, 04:06
here's my two cents. the new features are a waste. i think they are trying to up sales to compete with the reactor. and like mudhead said, you know when it is hot and you know when it it boiling. but like another person asked in another thread and if anyone visits this thread after i comment on it, i hope they see what i wrote. this way they can judge the reliability/durability/features and hopefully make a wise decision on what to buy! i'm just copying my own comment i just made on another thread, i'm too tired and lazy to think(it's 3 in the morning):

i personally own a jetboil. i also own an msr reactor. for the type of stove, they are both the same concept. screw on unit above a canister with the cup over the stove, trapping the heat from open air so it can heat the water as fast as possible. not that you don't know this, i'm sure you do. everybody does. what i'm trying to say is, if you want to get this type of stove, i would not recommend a jetboil. the starter will not spark in cold air as well. you can click and click all you want and it will take a while. the fuel canister doesn't hold that much fuel. after so many uses, the heat guard and handle kind of gets loose. the design of the cup that goes secures onto the stove unit isn't the best design - sometimes when it's in place, and you're done boiling, it doesn't always want to come out easily. the flame adjuster is ok, but sometimes it feels like you have to reach in there. i always as most other people that own one probably always dries the cup but it doesn't matter what you do, the inside of the cup rusts, even if you dry everything else. the bottom plastic cover breaks at the snap point. lid isn't the best design, you have to be very careful when taking it off. it's like taking a tight lid off - burned myself several times from the piping hot boiled water that splashed out. note i don't abuse my equipment. kind of sounds like i throw it around. it's just not a durable piece of equipment. on the other hand, the msr reactor may be slightly bulkier in physical dimensions, but it is MUCH sturdier and reliable; boils water faster than you will believe, and more of it at once; the fuel canister is larger(can use the 4 or 8 ounce), much better handle and lid(lid is clear and has a lid handle); better flame control, even though you don't actually have a flame, it's contained in the unit, bright orange glowing unit is pretty neat; works well in the cold.

am i giving you a harsh gear review, no. i am just being straight up. i know other people that have HAD a jetboil and gave it up for other stoves. the reactor might be more, but it is WELL WORTH IT. but then i also have other stoves too, they are also great. keep the pocket rocket too, that is a great stove.

hal0ofwint3r
03-06-2010, 04:10
hahaha, like i said, i copied my own comment i made on another thread about getting a jetboil. ignore the keeping the pocket rocket. the person i commented to had a pocket rocket. hopefully i'm not throwing anybody off. i forgot to take that out.

trailangelbronco
03-06-2010, 05:30
The cheap primus express stove is still one of the best stoves ever made. It is also what alot of the backpacker.com testers own personally because the damn thing is so simple and always works.

Jet Boil is for, well, never mind. I bet LL Bean sells alot, though.

PUNKINPUSS11
03-06-2010, 14:33
i just wanted 2 see of the jetboil is better thats it.....knowledge never hurt anyone

bluffhead
06-08-2010, 23:44
they have jetboils on ebay with free shipping for 80 i think comes with the orange stabilizer too.