PDA

View Full Version : Get in shape thread.

Lemni Skate
11-15-2009, 07:52
I've been hiking quite a bit (though not as much as I'd like) the last two years. Problem is that I've overweight. I'm determined to get in shape this year so I can hike more miles with less suffering.

I thought it would be nice to have a thread on here where we could post updates and be accountable to others on how we're doing getting in shape for our spring and summer section and thru hikes.

You can post whatever is on your mind...your weight, your workout information, your shakedown hike info. Maybe some of us could even find some days to hike together while we work towards our goals.

Lemni Skate
11-15-2009, 08:08
I'll start off:

I'm 5'11 252 pounds. I'm male.
I'm healthy for my size. Low blood pressure, slow pulse. I teach school.

My history, used to be a decent athlete, but over the years I let my weight creep up to 272 pounds. I got down to 218 about a year and a half ago and then put it back on. I have backpacked the southern 20 miles of the AT in Georgia, and all of the AT (except for 0.6 miles--long story) from about 20 miles south of Shenendoah National Park to the Maryland/Pennsylvania line in the last two years. I would like to finish it all in the next three or four years.

My now. My daughter joined cross country at our high school as a 7th grader. She's not old enough to "count," but people in the area already notice her. She finishes high up in J.V. races and already finishes in the top half when she runs Varsity Races. She has inspired me to take up running. It's hard.

I've pretty much been on a running plan since Aug.1. In Sept. I "ran" a 5K in 40:39. Not fast at all, but a big accomplishment for me. That day my 10 year old son finished in 51 minutes so I've got him training with me. Together we ran a 5K dressed like Jedi (on Halloween) in 44:05. We're training hard for a 5K on Thanksgiving Day and are hoping to break 40:00 minutes.

Training consists of 4 days of running(1 to 3 miles each day), 2 days of walking and 1 day off each week.

After Thanksgiving we're switching to an 8K training regimen (though my Son will not run more than 5K until he's a little older). This will be three days of running, 2 days of cross training and 2 days of strength training each week.

Long term plan is to train for a 10K after the 8K and then a 15K. I'd like to run a 15K before summer hiking season begins for me. I plan to kick off a hike of the Virginia part of the AT that I have not done with a 5K run in Burkes Garden this June and then hitting the trail.

We'll see.

Anyway, here's my current stats:
5'11 252 lbs. ran/walked 3 miles yesterday in 40:38.
Running an easy mile today.

I'll try to post once or twice per week. Please post your stats and/or story here.

Egads
11-15-2009, 09:56
Lemni Skate

Try the C25k program http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml and change your diet. I don't mean go on a diet, just drop fried foods, sodas, alcohol, starches, breads, & reduce your serving sizes. Replace with nuts, fruit, veggies, eggs, fish, chicken, black beans, yogurt, wholegrain cereals, sweet potatoes. Eat your largest meals at breakfast & lunch. Do not eat after 8:00 pm. You have to count calories. Journal / log your training & diet. Buy a good weight watchers scale & use it daily. I believe that you are not putting in enough miles. You need to have one 3+ hour effort each week. Get off the streets & track and hit the trails to prevent boredom & reduce the chance of repetitive motion injury. Good luck to you.

take-a-knee
11-15-2009, 11:27
Lemni, as you've found out, the older we get, the easier it is to gain weight, and the harder it is to lose it. The older we get, the more critical diet is to our overall well being. I heartily endorse Dr. Barry Sears' Zone Diet. Get the book "Mastering the Zone", read it, and implement its advice.

The gist of the Zone diet is achieving a proper hormonal balance between insulin and glucagon. You do this by eating small meals that have a fairly precise ratio of carbohydrate to protein. This is proven to increase muscle mass and enable your body to burn fat, in addition to reducing inflammation which will likely add healthy years to your life.

As for excercise, your body weight is a bit much for a running program. When your knee cartilage is gone, it's gone. My daughters also run X-country and I've attended and ran in lots of 5K's. One thing I've noticed with older runners is the pot-bellies that many have, in spite of the fact that they runs lots of miles each week. This is evidence of two things; running won't change your shape, and running and eating a crappy diet is not the path to health. I heartily reccomend www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com) , the program itself is quite a journey. The easiest thing to do is join a crossfit gym if one is nearby. Interval training with bodyweight excercises, short hard runs (400 and 800m), jumping rope, barbell excercises done standing on your feet, etc is the path to getting control over your weight and your fitness. Just getting skinny and being a weakling shouldn't be anyone's goal.

johnnybgood
11-15-2009, 11:45
Lemni Skate ;

I believe Egads has done his homework. What foods you eat and portion size cannot be over emphasized.
I've always heard that 4 small meals a day are actually better in regards to weight maintenance than 3 larger meals.

Example: Breakfast - Whole grain cerial (2 cup max), fruit and eggs .( This will be the fuel to start the engine.)

Mid Morning meal - I keep a large bag of dried fruit in my locker at work . I grab a cup full when I go on a break at 9:00 and sometimes add a bagel/English muffin (with a thin layer of strawberry jam is okay) and water.

Lunch - I eat a serving of lean meat, ie: grilled fish or baked chicken , vegatable(s). Or I'll opt for a salad where I can choose between adding fruit ,beans,chicken strips,broccoli,etc.

Dinner - This is the meal that is most difficult for me because I suppose there's a tendency to think more about food when at home & not busy at work.
I stick with vegatables and maybe a ham sandwich or a low fat jello. ( I love the veggie platter at Arbys when eating out).

* Whatever you do don't eat anything 2-3 hours before bedtime.

The exercise regimine you mentioned is great . I usually walk , sometimes jog the 1 mile course at a local park but I must admit that doesn't happen often.
Maybe your weekly updates will inspire me to get my butt in gear again.:p

** If you want to hike somewhere and would like a partner maybe we can hook up for a weekend .

Deadeye
11-15-2009, 11:52
I'll second TAK's advice about Crossfit.com, in fact I think he probably turned me on to it. Other great options are Body for Life by Bill Phillips, and the P90X program.

http://bodyforlife.com

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?code=BBHOME_CONTROL_P90X

Deadeye
11-15-2009, 12:08
Lemni Skate:

I'll take you up on this. I'm currently 5'11", 185 pounds. 8 years ago, I was 205 pounds, smoked a pack or two a day, and drank too much. Then I had an emergency vist to the doctor, who said "change or prepare for a shorter life, or a long decline" Yeah, I was reasonably fit, hiked and biked plenty, and lifted weights, but could do a lot more.

So I finally quit smoking, knocked off 20 pounds, got my act together, now run and weight train regularly, etc., etc. I do have fun at it... I run at lunch hour with a friend or two, in a hilly park. No slogging on a treadmill for me! Have run one competitive 5K (24 minutes) and a leg of a marathon relay. I don't plan on doing a full marathon, I think a half is plenty.

My current goal is to get to 170 pounds before Valentine's day, then I'll work on something else on the bucket list.

drastic_quench
11-15-2009, 13:50
The idea that eating after 8pm or midnight or whenever causes weight gain/calorie retention has been thoroughly debunked. It doesn't matter. Your body does not store more calories at any time of day or night. If you can keep your calorie intake at or a little under 2000, and stay in a calorie deficit through exercise, it doesn't matter if you consume 800 or 1000 of those calories right before you go to bed.

Mags
11-16-2009, 13:51
A personal story from me....long and rambling. Picture me saying this over some beer. :)

I've always been in pretty good shape. Lots of strength and endurance, but I tend to run stocky and muscular more than lean and muscular.

Earlier this year, I was on a swing shift that killed my diet and exercise life in addition to my social life (no excuse..but I did not have the discipline I should have had).

I was slowly creeping up in weight.

When I was laid off a few months ago, I took the opportunity to hike the BMT and quickly lost the 10 pounds I gained (25 mpd tends to do that!). I was back to where I was at the end of the summer of 2008.

However, I was still on the stocky side. It is the general shape of many people in my family. We never really get fat in my family (good genetics with lots of activity for my youngest brother and myself; blue collar labor for the other relatives), but well, I was about to turn 35. Hardly old..but harder to get in and maintain an excellent shape if I Did Not Do Something Now.

In May, I had to go visit the family in Rhode Island due to Grandma Mags passing away. While there, I saw my buddy Tim whom I've known since Catholic elementary school. Here's a guy who has two kids, gets up at 6am to work as the head nurse at a methadone clinic and not only did he lose weight...he was "cut". Daaaamn.... How did he do it ?!?!!

Like me, he was in the "overall good shape, but not toned" category. Also, at 37 yo, 40 was around the corner and he wanted to do something now rather than later.

When he came two weeks later for a planned visit (meaning: lots of catching up mixed in with a few beers and meeting my friends here in Colorado), we talked about what he actually did. He did the p90x program mentioned earlier.

He showed me the website, the details, etc. I said "what they hey", had one last binge on May 19th (my 35th b-day) and started in earnest on May 21st.

Longs story short, I now weigh what I weighed on the PCT at the finish but with more upper body definition and muscle.

Like all good fitness programs, it really hammers the diet (lean meats, whole grains and veggies essentially) coupled with exercise that not only does cardio but also strength, flexibility and core. I am currently in the best shape of my life. Even my abs are defined (not a six pack..but good enough for me!).

I guess the main thing about this post is that fitness and health is now part of what I do.

Do you have to do p90x? Naaaah. But any good program (and there are quite a few good programs that all have similar things in common) will do the same: Total fitness (cardio, core, strength, endurance and flexibility) coupled with the similar healthy diet. It ain't rocket science..but sometimes you need the guidance and right path to give the push.

I've modified it for my own needs (I am still an endurance person at heart. Weekends are for long hikes, backpacks or skis...and I tried the same diet on that weekend once as a test. As I figured..I BONKED !!! ) and do an indulgence day once a week for the very important mental health aspect (life is too short to NOT eat a greasy cheeseburger with bacon coupled with fries and washed down with a beer. :) ) of life, but overall I am conscious of what I eat and feel much better and stronger to do the things I love to do. (I also look pretty darn good if I do say so...based on the comments that people say that they didn't think I overheard. ;))

I don't plan on getting to the 7-8% body fat category (not good for long hikes IMO!), but I am at 11-12% body fat (maybe even close to 10%), and plan on getting down about 4 more pounds as I put on muscle to get my personal goal of 9-10% body fat.

So..do it. A cliche..but as one of the websites linked states:

Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Not only will you get in good health for your hike...you'll be in good health AFTER the hike, too. You'll be able to enjoy the outdoors for more than just a few months every couple of years.

Side note: A good friend of mine is about to get married this summer. I was honored when he and his fiance' asked me to be the best man. Anyway, his fiance' (whom I've also known for a long time) has noticed the change in me physically as well as diet wise. My buddy has steadily put on weight since they started dating 2 yrs ago.

Saturday night, a bunch of hiker trash got together. Since the lady friend and I did not do a long hike due to weather, I stuck to a salad w/ chicken. The buddy ordered wings. His fiancee' more or less said "If Mags' can do it..you can do it too". I think my buddy may be doing something between now and his wedding in July. His fiancee' (who I love to death) is a, er, strong willed woman and usually gets her way. :D

Manwich
11-16-2009, 14:02
Everybody reading this thread:

Touch your toes... 20 times. Do it now. No excuses. You're not busy!

COME ON MAHONEY! MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVEIT!!!

Yukon
11-16-2009, 14:04
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu...

Egads
11-16-2009, 20:15
Longs story short, I now weigh what I weighed on the PCT at the finish but with more upper body definition and muscle.

I am currently in the best shape of my life. Even my abs are defined (not a six pack..but good enough for me! :D

Did I hear Warrgy asking for pics???

Mags
11-16-2009, 20:44
Did I hear Warrgy asking for pics???

I don't want to scare people with me shirtless. If this was the 70s, the "hairy chest" look would rock. But it ain't. So I won't. :p

DapperD
11-16-2009, 22:27
I've been hiking quite a bit (though not as much as I'd like) the last two years. Problem is that I've overweight. I'm determined to get in shape this year so I can hike more miles with less suffering.

I thought it would be nice to have a thread on here where we could post updates and be accountable to others on how we're doing getting in shape for our spring and summer section and thru hikes.

You can post whatever is on your mind...your weight, your workout information, your shakedown hike info. Maybe some of us could even find some days to hike together while we work towards our goals.Maintaining a healthy ratio of muscle mass and weight, or being able to lose fat weight as we age is definately something that becomes a challenge for those of us predisposed to unwanted weight gain. Losing weight and getting in shape is something that most everyone wants, however the obesity epidemic is something that Americans now face. Why is this? Well for one the proliferance of fattening fast food everywhere, disappearing physical type jobs like blue-collar and farming, high distress levels caused by financial worry, etc... there is a whole host of different things that cause us to gain unwanted pounds over the years. Physical fitness is one weapon we can use to ward off this unwanted bodily change that happens as we age. So is proper eating and nutritional practices. So is proper rest. What one needs to understand is that in order to ward off this fat gaining, muscle losing decline, "preventative maintenance" of physical fitness and sound nutritional practices need to be a way of lifestyle, not something we turn to in a state of panic when we can no longer function properly or when we are being scolded by a doctor. Very few worthwhile things are gained by doing nothing, and health and physical fitness is definately not going to be one of them. Everyone needs to make a lifelong commitment to remaining healthy, by attempting to constantly make the effort to fight sloth and unwanted weight gain on all fronts.

Connie
11-17-2009, 01:45
I think one aspect of "getting in shape" is adjusting to being colder.

Maybe I should put it this way: adjust to outdoors, not your nice warm bed.

I am in Oregon, so far, this winter. I do not think I could do Montana winter right now. It is November, and I just got adjusted to 40-50 degree temperature range.

Right now, I feel warm enough at 50 degrees.

I would say, wear lighter warmth clothing in the house and around town for maybe 2-3 weeks to see if you tolerate feeling cooler weather better.

I think it helps to adjust your internal thermostat to outdoors temperatures you expect.

mudhead
11-17-2009, 09:01
but well, I was about to turn 35. Hardly old.

Don't kid yourself. You are now a creaky, decrepit old fart.

Mags
11-17-2009, 13:50
Don't kid yourself. You are now a creaky, decrepit old fart.

Get off my lawn, Mudhead! :D

Egads
11-17-2009, 14:12
I use a bucket as an allegory to an aging person's fitness level...when you are young the bucket (your body) doesn't leak much and a little exercise goes a long way. As you age the bucket springs leaks and you need to exercise more victoriously to keep the fitness level up. Eventually, you can't keep up with the leaks and your bucket becomes empty.

I believe the key is to start and maintain a good exercise program and diet while still young to delay the onset & speed of your physical decline.

Only 50 now, so I won't know how successful the strategy is until a few years, but Jack LaLane is a good model of my strategy.

Getting in my cyber exercise:banana:banana:banana

DapperD
11-17-2009, 19:11
Maintaining a healthy ratio of muscle mass and weight, or being able to lose fat weight as we age is definately something that becomes a challenge for those of us predisposed to unwanted weight gain. Losing weight and getting in shape is something that most everyone wants, however the obesity epidemic is something that Americans now face. Why is this? Well for one the proliferance of fattening fast food everywhere, disappearing physical type jobs like blue-collar and farming, high distress levels caused by financial worry, etc... there is a whole host of different things that cause us to gain unwanted pounds over the years. Physical fitness is one weapon we can use to ward off this unwanted bodily change that happens as we age. So is proper eating and nutritional practices. So is proper rest. What one needs to understand is that in order to ward off this fat gaining, muscle losing decline, "preventative maintenance" of physical fitness and sound nutritional practices need to be a way of lifestyle, not something we turn to in a state of panic when we can no longer function properly or when we are being scolded by a doctor. Very few worthwhile things are gained by doing nothing, and health and physical fitness is definately not going to be one of them. Everyone needs to make a lifelong commitment to remaining healthy, by attempting to constantly make the effort to fight sloth and unwanted weight gain on all fronts.I just want to add that with that being said, it is also important to be able to allow ourselves the ocassional splurge, indeed it is almost advisable. By constantly denying that piece of cake or candy, pizza, or cheeseburger, etc...one becomes more likely to feel deprived. This is not good as this can set us up to completely throwing in the towel and deciding we have had enough and then we begin to eat whatever we want whenever we want. The way to weight control success is by not being too hard on ourselves, realizing an occasional splurge is fine, and then continuing back on the course of eating right and remaining active.

JJJ
11-17-2009, 19:38
On indulgences, just to add, after you've spent a while in your new diet, those old foods probably won't seem so delightful or provoke the craving they once did. I gets better over time.
A change that is made gradually with dedication and purpose will be more useful than cycles of cold-turkey/binge episodes.
Good Luck.

mudhead
11-17-2009, 19:50
I agree with that. Some things I once inhaled, just are repulsive.

Taste buds are creatures of habit. Good carrots really are sweet.

oso loco
11-17-2009, 22:41
He showed me the website, the details, etc. I said "what they hey", had one last binge on May 19th (my 35th b-day) and started in earnest on May 21st.

Now I know why I can't keep up with you, Mags. I"m twice your age and have half your energy :D

So..do it. A cliche..but as one of the websites linked states:

Decide. Commit. Succeed.

That applies to everything in life worth having or doing.

Or, as that famous line says - Just do it!

Lemni Skate
11-22-2009, 19:11
Sunday: Ran one mile in 12:43 (This is more than three times the world record)
Monday: Ran two miles in 27:51 (Ran with my son, pretty easy pace)
Tuesday: Took it easy, no running
Wednesday: Ran three miles in 40:40 (12 seconds faster than on Saturday, didn't walk any)
Thursday: Hiked 3 miles in the rain
Friday: Hiked 3 miles with my daughter, we had a great time
Saturday: Ran 3 miles in 40:27 (13 seconds faster than Wednesday)
Today: Cross training on Wii Outdoor Adventure

Son was sick this week, so he didn't get to train with me much.

Tomorrow I run 2 miles, and Thanksgiving is the Turkey Trot 5K in Charlottesville, VA.

Wish me luck on a 39:59 (my daughter is shooting for a sub 23:00 at age 12. I'm so proud!)

Lemni Skate
11-22-2009, 19:13
Somehow the first part of my previous post disappeared. I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice (I'm taking most of it--but I'm still running) and encouragement. We get goofy and argue about silly stuff on this site, but everyone here seems to want the best for everyone else, that's why I still read and post here often.

Lemni Skate
11-22-2009, 19:22
One last thing...

I don't want to monopolize these boards and turn a thread into my own personal blog so I started a blog.

I plan to wax eloquent about things AT and my family's journey to get in better shape.

Here's a link:

My running and backpacking blog./ (http://runningpacker.blogspot.com/)

Tinker
11-22-2009, 21:27

You can post whatever is on your mind...your weight, your workout information, your shakedown hike info. Maybe some of us could even find some days to hike together while we work towards our goals.

Get a job with a landscaper. I lost a lot of muscle tone the past three years working as a mechanic at a high end bicycle store. Commuting to work was about the hardest thing I did. I've taken a voluntary time off to take a fincial burden off of my employer and have been helping an old friend with his landscaping business and, after three weeks, can't believe what I can still do at my age (of course I'm keeping the makers of Advil in business ;).

Hard work makes hard play easy (I just made that up).

Red Beard
11-22-2009, 21:31
I think one aspect of "getting in shape" is adjusting to being colder.

Maybe I should put it this way: adjust to outdoors, not your nice warm bed.

I am in Oregon, so far, this winter. I do not think I could do Montana winter right now. It is November, and I just got adjusted to 40-50 degree temperature range.

Right now, I feel warm enough at 50 degrees.

I would say, wear lighter warmth clothing in the house and around town for maybe 2-3 weeks to see if you tolerate feeling cooler weather better.

I think it helps to adjust your internal thermostat to outdoors temperatures you expect.

The good thing about hiking, is that if you're cold in the morning, just know that as soon as you put your pack on, and start walking, you'll be warm in a matter of minutes. :D

BlazeWalker
11-26-2009, 23:49
OK...I'm in! I share some thoughts of the others here. I am 27 years old and should be at my physical peak. However I am not! I am in decent shape but could be in WAY better shape for my age. I am 5ft 9 and about 145. I drink too much and smoke also. My diet is terrible and I fear If I don't buckle down soon, it will be too late. I am starting a workout program on Dec. 1 2009! No Excuses! I will keep you posted...