PDA

View Full Version : Abol Bridge from Baxter Park Road

Papa Bear
08-20-2004, 11:24
We plan to leave a car at the parking area by the store at Abol Bridge (where the Golden Road crosses the Penobscot) while we do our 100 Mile Wilderness hike in September. Keith Shaw suggested this spot. When we finish summiting Katahdin, we are led to believe there will be a number of potential rides south out of the park from Thru-hiker friends and family. We will hit the big K at probably the peak of Thru-hiker season.

The question is: can we walk fairly easily from the Abol Beach Picnic area on the pond, just off the road, down on the old road to Abol Bridge to get our car? It's here. (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=5076262&e=504136&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25) It looks like about a mile of easy terrain. This seems a lot easier than getting someone to drive up the Golden Road from outside the Park (and a helluva lot easier than hiking all the way back from Katahdin Stream CG/Birches). Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Pb

Tramper Al
08-20-2004, 14:44
Hi Pb,

No problem at all.

On our trip in to ascend North Brother this past winter, we used this same route in the reverse. Parking at the Abol Bridge lot, we traveled by ski and pulk over this mile of VERY easy terrain to join the tote road in the shortest distance feasible. It is more of a broad flat forest road than a trail.

I am planning to use this same shortcut to close the loop on my next to last (Daicey Pond) section.

weary
08-20-2004, 17:05
Hi Pb,

No problem at all.

On our trip in to ascend North Brother this past winter, we used this same route in the reverse. Parking at the Abol Bridge lot, we traveled by ski and pulk over this mile of VERY easy terrain to join the tote road in the shortest distance feasible. It is more of a broad flat forest road than a trail.

I am planning to use this same shortcut to close the loop on my next to last (Daicey Pond) section.

TJ. Where are you when we need you. I know it is easy in the winter. It's the only route into that portion of the park that everyone uses -- well most everyone. The question is, is it easy following an unmarked trail in the summer and fall? I don't have a clue. Does anyone else?

Tramper Al
08-20-2004, 17:28
I know it is easy in the winter. It's the only route into that portion of the park that everyone uses -- well most everyone. The question is, is it easy following an unmarked trail in the summer and fall? I don't have a clue. Does anyone else?
Dude, it's easy, rain or shine. PapaBear can bushwahck in the rain with his eyes closed. This little route is a walk in the park for him.

TJ aka Teej
08-20-2004, 20:21
TJ. Where are you when we need you.
Out hikin'. Somebody hasta do it! :D
The trail isn't blazed, but it has signs at all the junctions, and follows old jeep roads so it's pretty obvious.