PDA

View Full Version : life expectancy of homemade alch stove?

trapezeboy
11-15-2009, 12:42
So I'm considering making a alch stove from recycled materials (beer/soda cans), but I was curious about how durable the stoves are. I haven't been able to find anything about them wearing out from google searching, so I figured someone around here might have some experience. Thanks!

kayak karl
11-15-2009, 12:45
So I'm considering making a alch stove from recycled materials (beer/soda cans), but I was curious about how durable the stoves are. I haven't been able to find anything about them wearing out from google searching, so I figured someone around here might have some experience. Thanks!
you will step on it or crush it in you pack before it wares out. regardless not much of an investment loss.

Lyle
11-15-2009, 13:05
I've been using the same stove for several years. While not on a long-distance hike, has been used for at least 800 miles or so. No sign of damage or wearing out. This was an AntiGravity stove, so not home made, but a pepsi can stove.

brooklynkayak
11-15-2009, 13:06
There have been many cases of alky stoves lasting more than a whole thru-hike. Keep it in some sort of protected area of your pack, maybe your pot, mug,...

If you should crush it, you can ,make an ugly version with a pocket knife and a can or two, depending on the design you chose.

Since there are no moving parts, there is nothing to wear out.
Can't say the same for all the fiddly bits that fail on other stoves, gaskets crack, threads strip, valves leak, ....

bullseye
11-15-2009, 13:20
I always wrap mine in a bandana or piece of pack towel, and throw inside my cookpot. Like KK said, you'll probably ruin it before it'll wear out.

garlic08
11-15-2009, 14:31
Ditto all the above. If you depend on one to eat, it's best to be able to make one in case you do step on it. Any road crossing you'll find the raw materials, and a pocket knife is the only tool you need to get an ugly one working.

mateozzz
11-15-2009, 14:51
I've used mine for 4 section hikes with no problems. I actually carry two since they weigh almost nothing, just in case I step on one! Both fit nicely inside my little pot. If you are going to use the penny stove, it is good to carry a little piece of steel wool or sand paper because a little crud builds up around the penny and eventually it doesn't seal well. Maybe it is not a problem if you use denatured alcohol, but the 95% pharmacy stuff seems to do it.

BrianLe
11-15-2009, 15:14
The "how durable" question indeed begs the question of how stoves fail in general. Per above, put it inside something that's crush-proof and it should last indefinitely. I used a commercial alcohol stove on the PCT last year, but it's not all that strong either; the simmer ring became a bit loose but otherwise it came through fine. I can't see why my 0.2 oz catfood can stove won't make it fine on the AT next year; I wrap it in a little bubble wrap and carry it inside my cook pot as brooklynkayak and bullseye describe above. If you're going the next step and using a beer can (fosters, heineken) as your cookpot, there are still options; I recollect folks using a plastic container that koolaid or instant lemonade come in --- grope the internet and you'll surely come up with details (start with zenstoves.net ...).

Spokes
11-15-2009, 16:08
I carried one on my entire thru hike this year and it's still going strong.

mrhughes1982
11-15-2009, 16:16
I'd be afraid of a mountain goat eating your stove.

Franco
11-15-2009, 17:32
I'd be afraid of a mountain goat eating your stove.

What a Titanium Goat ?
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/TiTri.html (http://www.titaniumgoat.com/TiTri.html)
Franco

mrhughes1982
11-15-2009, 17:44
Thanks for the link but I was thinking more along the lines of this guy

tammons
11-15-2009, 18:02
Years.

I have made probably 50 alcohol stoves of all sorts, mostly pressurized beercan stoves and the best I come up with are just simple nesting setups for bag cooking, depending on if you want 1, 2 or 3 cups. All crushproof.

The stove part is just a red bull bottom for a cup or you could use a tealight cup, and a hole punched heineken can top for the support. The small one uses a smaller alum cup from a hairspray bottle from CVS.

When you destroy it just drink another beer and a red bull.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54934

harryfred
11-15-2009, 18:19
I have made several homemade stoves. They last forever. My favorite are Pepsi can stoves, no simmer ring. I did make one at a church picnic, with only a SAK and a Pepsi can I used the top of a sock as a wick. Ugly and rough, Yes. Worked Absolutely!:banana Note you can get an alky warm next to a fire or close to your body in cold weather, Enough to get it to light and it will make enough heat inside a good wind screen to stay lit. I think this gives them a one up on canister stoves. It will use a LOT more fuel to do the same job.

trapezeboy
11-16-2009, 01:50
Thanks all, exactly what I was hoping to hear!