PDA

View Full Version : Six Moons Lunar Solo VS Tarptent Sublite

mrhughes1982
11-15-2009, 14:06
Any opinions here would be much appreciated :D

Lunar Solo link: http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Sublite link: http://tarptent.com/productsheets/sublite.pdf *requires Adobe Reader

garlic08
11-15-2009, 14:19
I've tried products from both companies and have had better customer service from Tarptent. I haven't tried either of these.

The Lunar Solo is a very popular shelter and looks well made from what I've seen.

If I needed to replace my Tarptent Contrail right now, I'd probably get the Sublite.

mrhughes1982
11-15-2009, 15:52
Thanks Garlic. I think I've been kinda leaning on the Sublite. It's lighter and cheaper too. I've heard a lot of good things about both these brands.

Passion Hiker 73
11-15-2009, 16:45
I have the sub-light. It's a great tent. Easy set-up with trek poles and lots room for you and your gear. I'm 6'6 and it works for me. And at a little over a pound and small pack weight it's a great value. Just my thoughts on the sub-light. PH73

skinewmexico
11-15-2009, 20:21
I had a LS, and it's a good tent. A little wider, but shorter than the Sublite. I haven't spent enough time in my Sublite to say anything bad about it, looks solid. The LS is good, has a bigger footprint for sure.

Kerosene
11-16-2009, 11:11
I have the original SMD Lunar Solo and have had very good luck with it, once I figured out how to use long Easton aluminum stakes to tie out the upper guylines. I'm 5' 9" and probably wouldn't recommend it for someone over 6' 3", as your head and feet would likely brush the tent walls. I've been considering the SubLite should I ever need to replace the Lunar Solo, but I'm more likely to try out a tarp/bivy setup which would be lighter and suitable for the cool-weather camping I typically do.

Manwich
11-16-2009, 11:29
I won't give up my SMD Lunar Solo for any other tent. The sheer space inside is unbeatable (I'm one of those newfangled morons who sleeps with their pack and everything inside the tent.)

FamilyGuy
11-16-2009, 11:55
I really like a drip free entry into a tent and a vestibule. For that reason alone, I would go for the LS. The Sublite really isn't big enough for a bunch of gear inside.

brooklynkayak
11-16-2009, 11:55
I'm one of those newfangled morons who sleeps with their pack and everything inside the tent.

You may change your mind soon if you backpack in NJ. The bears there have been know to rip holes in tents and steal food bags/packs from tents with their occupants inside.
The bears there are getting as bad as the one's in Yellowstone used to be. Some bears aren't so afraid of people and freely roam residential neighborhoods.

Manwich
11-16-2009, 12:09
I live in NJ and have spent 2 dozen nights sleeping in my tent in the kittatinnies, near pochuk and high point. Spare me.

sparky2000
11-16-2009, 12:44
I've had good experience with the 6 moon. I like the side entrance, the extra room, the easy set-up, the mini weight. About twenty nights in the tent with-out trouble or bugs.

skinewmexico
11-16-2009, 12:45
I should probably mention that I bought my Sublite mostly for bug protection and shade, since most of my hiking / backpacking is in high desert.

garlic08
11-16-2009, 13:11
I really like a drip free entry into a tent and a vestibule. For that reason alone, I would go for the LS.

That would be my one reservation, too. The Contrail works great in that regard, for another 7 oz and $20 or so.

brooklynkayak
11-16-2009, 13:28
I live in NJ and have spent 2 dozen nights sleeping in my tent in the kittatinnies, near pochuk and high point. Spare me.

I guess I should've made my comment as a PM. but I know many people who have had bear problems in that area. It's a bit like playing russian roulette. You may be able to do it 100 times, but it only takes once. It is more common than you may realize. It's getting to be like the national parks with bears in that area of the AT.

Manwich
11-16-2009, 13:41
I know of only 2 published cases where a bear trampled a tent, and if I remember correctly they were in PA.

A butterfly's fart will scare away Jersey Bears.

FamilyGuy
11-16-2009, 18:47
A butterfly's fart would scare me too!

brooklynkayak
11-16-2009, 18:52
A butterfly's fart will scare away Jersey Bears.

I agree they will run away if you get too close, but I have seen them get pretty gutsy at times and steal food within a hundred feet of people.

A hungry bear may not associate a tent with a person.

I've seen what bears have done in Harriman park. I've seen many tents ripped apart, with people nearby, but not in the tent. My cabin had it's door bashed in and ripped apart there and there were people nearby.

I've heard many stories of tents getting ripped open by bears in the NJ/NY area.

Stealth camping shouldn't be a problem, but camp in or near a popular site...

chaco taco used to keep his food in his tent:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53036

Manwich
11-16-2009, 19:07
I hear a lot of stories about Bigfoot in NY too. Worry about yourself.

dmax
11-16-2009, 19:19
I wish I would have started this thread. It would have been between the wild oasis and the sublite.....So to stay on track,...Is the sublite sil worth the extra few dollars?

skinewmexico
11-16-2009, 20:26
Isn't the Wild Oasis just a Lunar Solo without a floor?

Jim Lynch
11-16-2009, 23:17
[QUOTE Sublite

Is Henry Shires coming out with a silnylon version of the Sublite?

Rowdy Yates
11-17-2009, 08:23
[QUOTE Sublite

Is Henry Shires coming out with a silnylon version of the Sublite?

It has been out and available for some time, it is called Tarptent Sublite Sil and it sells for $199.00. I just recently sold mine because I didn't like the single wall construction.

Big Dawg
11-17-2009, 09:53
It has been out and available for some time, it is called Tarptent Sublite Sil and it sells for $199.00. I just recently sold mine because I didn't like the single wall construction.

The Sublite Sil is no longer available on tarptent.com. Via email w/ Henry a few months ago, the sil version is no longer in production.

Chance09
11-24-2009, 23:03
wait until XMAS for the Lunar Solo. I bought mine last christmas 20% off. Might happen again.

skinewmexico
11-25-2009, 04:14
The Tarptent website has a date for delivery of the Silnylon Sublite. Although why you wouldn't spend $10 more for the Moment is beyond me.

Treefingers
12-07-2009, 16:43
Myself along with three of my friends that Have thru hiked using the lunar solo and all have survived the whole trek and still are going strong..SMD makes some great products that are both durable are lightweight. You might also want to look into the gossamer gear "the One" that has a similaer shape of the lunar solo but a bit lighter and uses spinnaker, a more delicate fabric from what i understand. I know many people that swear by TarpTent, but i would be concerned with the durability of the tyvek fabric.

Any opinions here would be much appreciated :D

Lunar Solo link: http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Sublite link: http://tarptent.com/productsheets/sublite.pdf *requires Adobe Reader

skinewmexico
12-07-2009, 19:33
I know many people that swear by TarpTent, but i would be concerned with the durability of the tyvek fabric.

Only the Sublite is tyvek. Makes for great shade and a cool tent if you live in desert-type areas.

Jim Lynch
12-07-2009, 20:39
The Lunar Solo is impressive, but its considerably more expensive than the Tarptent.. That's a consideration...

Graywolf
01-04-2010, 18:04
Myself along with three of my friends that Have thru hiked using the lunar solo and all have survived the whole trek and still are going strong..SMD makes some great products that are both durable are lightweight. You might also want to look into the gossamer gear "the One" that has a similaer shape of the lunar solo but a bit lighter and uses spinnaker, a more delicate fabric from what i understand. I know many people that swear by TarpTent, but i would be concerned with the durability of the tyvek fabric.

As the previous poster said, only the Sublite has a tyvek floor, all the others is the same material as the roof with a tyvek ground cloth. I have never used the ground cloth, and I have used mine up to 13000 feet with no problems what so ever. I was very comfortable..I have also used it in the desert of West Texas, and had no problems with rocks or other factors. It is very strong..Henry Shires makes very durable products and stands behind everything he sells..

300winmag
01-05-2010, 03:43
Try the TT Moment for a really good tenting experience. I've owned a Contrail and it was fine for three summers but I love the Moment. Much more useable space, much more wind resistant and quicker to set up than a Contrail. Henry Shires has put a lot of useful details into this tent.

skinewmexico
01-05-2010, 11:42
As the previous poster said, only the Sublite has a tyvek floor, all the others is the same material as the roof with a tyvek ground cloth.

Not quite, the Sublite is a tyvek body, with a silnylon floor. The Sublite Sil has a silnylon body and floor. Sublite Sil has more ventilation, since it doesn't breath like the tyvek. And the tyvek in the Sublite is the clothing tyvek (soft), not the housewrap.