PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Cleaning

birdog
11-15-2009, 15:29
Just wanted to report on the success of washing my WM Puma sleeping bag. I used Nikwax down soap and followed the directions to the letter and my bag looks like the day I bought it. Hats off to the makers of such a fine product. I ran the bag through 2 complete cycles in a commercial washing machine; one to wash it and the other to completely rinse all traces of soap out of the down. Then I spent about $25 on a LARGE commercial dryer set on LOW heat to thoroughly dry the bag and everything came out great. It took about 7 hours total time to do this but the results were worth it. It lofts to a solid 9 inches and smells great. Between cycles in the dryer I took the time to gently break up the clumps of wet down and fluff the bag so it would dry evenly. I was very worried about damage to my winter bag but everything worked out fine. Be careful to inspect the inside of both the washer and dryer to make sure no rough spots or broken metal are present that would snag the shell and rip the bag. Thanks Nikwax:sun