PDA

View Full Version : nerve damaged foot

squeezebox
11-15-2009, 16:39
About 2 years ago i had a knife accident that cut the nerve in my leg about 6 in. above my left ankle. the top of my foot is unaffected. but the bottom of my foot shows with "pins and needles' sensations. chronic dull pain varies in intensity. and severe dull pain if i step on something, stepping on a pencil or such barefoot will nearly bring me to my knees. I seem to favor that foot and my left ankle seems to be weaker.
So what to do?
It has been suggested to get heavy stiffer boots. For more ankle support, and thicker sole so that stepped on rocks etc. will cause less localized pain in the bottom of my foot.
Massage helps some, as well as hot soaks. I can handle day to day activities with little slowing down. but I'm concerned that a thru hike might be disabling.
This is not plantars fasceitis, I had a touch of that and healed.
I'm a newbie and don't even have boots yet. I do have 5 months to train etc.
I would like to hear from others with neuropathy issues.
The anatomy of carpel tunnel is different but with simular signs and symptoms.
Thanks for your help!!

weary
11-15-2009, 17:18
I don't have an answer to the query. But thousands of diabetic victims live with "dead" feet and the tingles of diabetic nerve damage. Some of us manage succesful long distance hikes. I'm out of the long distance category pretty much now, but the permanent lack of feeling in both feet doesn't seriously impact my ability to walk. Five mile walks over rough trails in an afternoon are still a common activity for me these days.

The only way for you to know for sure is to build up some body strength and do ever increasingly strenuous hikes over rough terrain with a pack.

It's also common for long distance hikers to lose feeling in their feet from the daily pounding on rough trails. Usually feeling returns within a few months of returning home. DelDoc, a retired physician, tested the feet of hundreds of AT hikers. Something like 80 percent had lost feeling in parts of their feet.

Weary

YoungMoose
11-15-2009, 20:32
I don't have an answer to the query. But thousands of diabetic victims live with "dead" feet and the tingles of diabetic nerve damage. Some of us manage succesful long distance hikes. I'm out of the long distance category pretty much now, but the permanent lack of feeling in both feet doesn't seriously impact my ability to walk. Five mile walks over rough trails in an afternoon are still a common activity for me these days.

The only way for you to know for sure is to build up some body strength and do ever increasingly strenuous hikes over rough terrain with a pack.

It's also common for long distance hikers to lose feeling in their feet from the daily pounding on rough trails. Usually feeling returns within a few months of returning home. DelDoc, a retired physician, tested the feet of hundreds of AT hikers. Something like 80 percent had lost feeling in parts of their feet.

WearyWow i never knew 80% of long distnace hikers lose feeling in parts of their feets.

SawnieRobertson
11-16-2009, 14:52
Wow i never knew 80% of long distnace hikers lose feeling in parts of their feets.

Don't know about "80% losing feeling in parts of their feets," but I can assure you that I GAINED lots of agonizing feelings in my feets. It took the tincture of time to heal the plantar fasciitis (one year), and I had two surgeries on the skeletal remains of my left great toe as well as had its so-damaged nerve in that toe removed. Then came the REAL injury, the 60 pounds I gained over the next two years when my hiker's appetite combined with my being a crippled couch tomato. So, I'm saying "Beware of all of those snakes," watch your steps, and pay humble attention to your feet as you do your hiking.

Having lost the 60 pounds of pure blubber, I am excitedly planning another attempt. This time I will curtail my hiking days to five hours/day and stretch . . . stretch . . . stretch my feet before, during, and after each day's hike. I tell myself that the time lost will be made up by not needing/taking so many zeroes in towns.

That's the plan. We'll see how it works.--Kinnickinic:banana

Hooch
11-16-2009, 14:54
Wow i never knew 80% of long distnace hikers lose feeling in parts of their feets.But bear in mind that 87.629% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :rolleyes::D

The Solemates
11-16-2009, 15:19
But bear in mind that 87.629% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :rolleyes::D

negative. the true number is 87.624%. if you are going to cite something, cite it correctly.

Hooch
11-16-2009, 15:21
negative. the true number is 87.624%. if you are going to cite something, cite it correctly.Sorry, I don't do well with statistics. I'm only right 34.691% of the time. :D

weary
11-16-2009, 15:43
But bear in mind that 87.629% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :rolleyes::D
Well, I can't vouch for the exact percentage of thru hikers with a lack of feeling in parts of their feet. I wrote from memory -- which gets somewhat diminished as the years linger on. But I was surprised by how high the percentage was when I heard the results of DelDoc's trail research at an ATC workshop, and read about it in his ATC News columns.

I can't ask the good doctor. He died four years ago. During his life, he ran 27 marathons and hiked the Appalachian Trail 4 times, all after the age of 50. The good doctor tested the feet of hikers with a simple standard medical device, a wire attached to a handle. He asked each hiker to tell him when they felt pressure from the probe.

BTW the test for nerve damage has nothing to do with the foot aches and pains that all hikers feel. As DelDoc explained it, the situation occurs when the main nerve that runs along the bottom of the feet to the toes is damaged by constant pounding on a rough trail. It happened to me in 1993. As the good doc predicted, it went away after I'd been home a few months.

Weary

Connie
11-16-2009, 17:14
Hmm..

On topic, maybe acupuncture could "dial down" the "pins and needles" and "chronic dull pain".

I had acupuncture prescribed for "incomplete tear of the left lateral miniscus".

The College of Medicine, in San Francisco would not treat only one part.

The "history" form was many pages, with questions like: Did you ever have a spider bite? any food allergies? and on and on.

After about 6 months, I couldn't stand to be "stuck" again with those needles anymore, but I learned a lot about what a skilled acupuncturist can accomplish.

With Good Feet shoe inserts, I didn't have knee pain. I also didn't have sciatica pain I had from a 1975 car wreck. I even had my angina pain (heart patient) "dialed in" because one day the accupuncturist dialed it out. I said, "Hey, I need that. People who do not have warning, die. I'd rather have some warning to ease off whatever it is I am doing".

The acupuncturist "dialed in" the angina pain, from excruciating pain down to "warning" level pain. I know I was impressed.

Dr. Romanoff, MD a Russian lady doctor supervised. I think that was her name.

It was in the early 1980's at College of Medicine, San Francisco, California.

Maybe there is something in there you can put to good use?

JokerJersey
11-16-2009, 17:40
I know for sure that most guys in my platoon in the Marines said that parts of thier toes and feet were numb for months after we got back from deployment. Both of my big toes are numb pretty much from the the last knuckle up, as are both of my little toes. They have been that way for over 5 years now, so I can't really forsee that changing.

In truth, it doesn't bother me at all. I just have to check and make sure I don't have any ingrown toenails or cuts, because I can't feel them if I do. I've been told that my boots were the problem and that excessive walking in footwear that isn't specifically fitted for your foot can lead to permanent nerve damage. So, truthfully, if you have foot pain now, consult an podiatrist and let him tell you what you need to do.

oso loco
11-17-2009, 22:55
Wow i never knew 80% of long distnace hikers lose feeling in parts of their feets.

Yeah - after pounding your feet for a couple thousand miles, it's a common affliction. Dunno about 80% but I wouldn't doubt it. My experience is that it usually lasts about 6 months. But sometimes longer. And sometimes a LOT longer.

Erin
11-17-2009, 23:31
The best advice was above, consult a podiatrist. Get the medical advice and suggestions for inserts, boots etc. you need for your hike from a doctor. You are investing so much time and effort for your hike, the doc can give you training suggestions to fit your specific problem. Try to find one who is an athlete or has experience with athletes. And have a wonderful hike!