PDA

View Full Version : carbon trekking poles

squeezebox
11-15-2009, 16:53
I'm a newbie and need to learn everything.
Mainly I'm a cyclist and have a nice full carbon bicycle. So aesthetically I'm leaning to carbon trekking poles rather than aluminum.
Would love to hear your opinion.

everydayhiker
11-15-2009, 16:56
Truthfully, I have aluminum and have had no problems with mine. I guess if you want to pay the extra money it would be cool. I guess the weight would be a little different to. But mine have held up pretty good. I paid 90 bucks for them and wouldnt tradeum for anthing.

squeezebox
11-15-2009, 17:22
I just read the thread about poles
Again I'm inexperienced.
i think the black diamond flick lock sounds easier to use' but what about the lock getting knocked or pulled on something and getting unlocked?

everydayhiker
11-15-2009, 17:25
Not sure about that, Mine are slip and turn locking. I havent had problems on them yet. But do keep good care of them such as cleaning and trying to keep them dry.

Franco
11-15-2009, 17:27
Hi
First several of the CF poles are only that in name or only parts of it are made with CF ( for example my BD Contour CF)
Others are a one piece pole, light but not that practical when travelling.

Recently I had the opportunity to test the GG Lightreck 4 poles (under 7oz for the pair) . They are a two piece pole.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek4_Trekking_Poles_Matte_Black.html (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek4_Trekking_Poles_Matte_Black.html)
Mine had a strap attached. Most users of the really light poles don't want the strap, but I do...
The poles performed very well and are a delight to use. The only bit I did not like is that they can jam when adjusting the length , something that I do often with my BD.
In the same trip I also tested a mate's BPL Stix (one piece poles ), I did not like those as much. They are stronger but somehow the vibration from them bothered me. (they were crashed on the return journey inside the luggage compartment of the bus).
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/stix_carbon_fiber_trekking_poles_08.html (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/stix_carbon_fiber_trekking_poles_08.html)
Franco

garlic08
11-15-2009, 19:54
I used Komperdell carbon poles last year for the first time and they held up fine to a tough hike. I met some people who broke carbon poles, but it sounds like a metal pole would have bent or broken, too, under the circumstances. Those people replaced the carbon poles under warrantee and were still using them.

I have Black Diamond flick locks on my back country ski poles and I think they're the best joint, but for me hiking doesn't put that much force on a joint and I've never had a problem with twist-lock trekking pole joints.

Egads
11-15-2009, 19:56
I use Gossamer Gear 1 piece CF trekking poles. Great poles.

Wise Old Owl
11-15-2009, 20:22
Just switched to LL Bean without the shocks a dumped more than half a pound. Life is good. I hear flip locks are the buzz.

BrianLe
11-16-2009, 00:57
I agree that CF poles are worth it, and agree with W.O. Owl about passing on shock absorbers. IMO pole weight --- for a person who regularly uses poles --- is similar to shoe/boot weight in the old adage that I would expand to say "A pound on an appendage is like 5 pounds on your back". I.e., similar to how you're constantly lifting your feet, you're also moving your arms in a back and forth and somewhat up-and-down. When I've temporarily swapped poles with others, they've always been reluctant to give mine back afterwards --- trying is believing.

Assuming you're not hard on your gear, CF poles should last a long time; I've got 3000 or so miles on mine. I replaced the tips once (simple wear), but the poles are doing fine. I have the REI branded Komperdell's. I agree that the locking mechanism isn't ideal, but the few times I've had issues with the twist lock I've always managed to get it working again.

Stir Fry
11-16-2009, 07:38
You can make your own for about $35-$40. I just finished my second set 5.1 oz each. First set still good just made some improvements. This sit will help.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00162.html

TimeSnake
11-16-2009, 07:40
Both are great! Make sure they are Leki though, for they have excellent costomer service and will replace your tips, shafts etc. no hassle.

Blue Jay
11-17-2009, 20:48
Inviso Poles are lighter, cheaper, adjust automaticaly to up hill and down hill positions. They never break and are replaced immediately when lost. The biggest advantage is that they are nonhabit forming.:welcome

Jonnycat
11-18-2009, 09:11
You can make your own for about $35-$40. I just finished my second set 5.1 oz each. First set still good just made some improvements. This sit will help.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00162.html

lol, yeah, I'm gonna buy a subscription to read an article. :rolleyes:

Frick Frack
11-18-2009, 09:38
Again I'm inexperienced.
i think the black diamond flick lock sounds easier to use' but what about the lock getting knocked or pulled on something and getting unlocked?

I also used the BD Contour CF's on my thru and they worked excellent! I had no problems with the flick locks and they were much easier to use than the twist locks. I like the way the carbon dampen's the shock and they are much more quiet. I also agree that "shock absorbers" are completely unnecessary. TimeSnake has a good point though....almost ALL outfitters on the trail carry Leki and they have excellent customer support if you need it.

Best of luck!

tuswm
11-20-2009, 01:27
i have also found that AL poles with shocks can make alot of noise on rockey surfaces.

Summit
11-22-2009, 20:44
My experience: first poles I bought were Komperdell carbon fiber. Broke one on my first hike, slipped on a log and the pole broke trying to break my fall. REI gave me full refund. Bought REI's (made by Komperdell) Summit aluminum twist lock poles. Was very satisfied with them, still use them for daily walking at home. Last couple of hikes (120 miles total) with my new Black Diamond flick-lock poles have proven to be the best experience yet. The flick-lock mechanism allows easy adjustment in cold/wet conditions, with gloves on if necessary. Absolutely no slip. I did have loosening/slipping issues with the first two until I established a groove by extreme tightening. Personally, I feel carbon fiber poles are too fragile and too expensive. Avoid anti-shock. You need/want a firm pole plant . . . not a squishy one! :)

Tinker
11-22-2009, 20:51
I haven't had any problem with my twist and lock Leki aluminum poles. I'm reluctant to try carbon fiber poles because I've seen so many broken fiberglass cross country ski poles. Granted, cf is stronger than 'glass, but the tubular cross section is more likely to crush under bending stresses than aluminum, and once they bend (the bonding agent breaks away from the fibers) there's no way to straighten them. You can hope that a duct tape splint works well enough to get you to a resupply point.
I will probably make a set next year just as an experiment. Carbon fiber fishing rod blanks should work. I have grips from broken X-C ski poles to use :D.

brooklynkayak
11-23-2009, 08:57
I have the Ti-Goat carbon poles. They are all carbon fiber, two piece. They are heaven to hike with, very light, quite and they seem to absorb shock a little better than my aluminum poles.

BUT, I am very hard on poles and broke the bottom of one within the first hundred miles. Costs $37(with shipping) per section. It broke when I fell with the pole wedged between two rocks so I suspect that a heavier pole would have broke as well.
To show you how hard I use them:
I've also ripped the straps out of one aluminum pole within two hundred miles:-) I ended up going on a couple hikes without the straps and ended up with two wrecked thumbs that are taking a very long time to heal. I will always use straps from now on.

I would never consider single piece poles as they would be too hard to travel with and would have a tendency to get broken in travel. Now if I could just walk to the trail, I wouldn't have to baby the poles so much.

garlic08
11-23-2009, 10:34
I haven't had any problem with my twist and lock Leki aluminum poles. I'm reluctant to try carbon fiber poles because I've seen so many broken fiberglass cross country ski poles. Granted, cf is stronger than 'glass, but the tubular cross section is more likely to crush under bending stresses than aluminum, and once they bend (the bonding agent breaks away from the fibers) there's no way to straighten them. You can hope that a duct tape splint works well enough to get you to a resupply point.
I will probably make a set next year just as an experiment. Carbon fiber fishing rod blanks should work. I have grips from broken X-C ski poles to use :D.

This is exactly how I felt before my AT hike in '08. So I found a pair of carbon poles on sale (REI-Komperdell), and figured I'd try them out as an experiment and have my Leki aluminum poles ready to ship as a back-up.

The carbon poles, to my great surprise, made it the whole way and are still going strong after two more long hikes. I took one spill on the AT, landing on a pole full force, that probably would have at least bent if not broken an aluminum pole and the carbon survived. I'm also hard on poles and these carbon poles have more miles on them than any other poles I've ever tried.

I don't use the poles all the time, like when road walking or when on a long easy stretch of trail, so I often stick them in my pack. The almost negligible weight of the carbon poles is a real plus for my style of hiking.

I also believe that reducing pole weight is similar to reducing shoe weight in overall fatigue. I don't even wrap my duct tape around the poles anymore, to avoid lifting it that many times a day. Kinda anal, I know.

I also found that the Komperdell tips, while harder to find than Leki, have lasted longer than any Leki tips I've ever tried. 1600 miles a set so far, with no failures--just worn down. I'm hard-pressed to get more than 1000 miles on Leki tips before the metal tip breaks off.

Rockhound
11-23-2009, 10:38
overpriced sticks. all that needs to be said. why not find a couple of good sticks in the woods and take the $100 + you'll save and donate it to a good charity. Might I suggest Rockhounds home for wayward teenage girls.

Quoddy
11-23-2009, 12:53
I converted from Leki aluminum poles, the last set being Super Makalu's, to carbon fiber poles several years ago. I still have my TiGoat adjustables (6.9oz/pair), but have been using the Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 poles (also 6.9oz/pair) for the past year and have been completely happy with them. Although they have a lot of miles on them they're as good as new.

brooklynkayak
11-23-2009, 17:33
overpriced sticks. all that needs to be said. why not find a couple of good sticks in the woods and take the $100 + you'll save and donate it to a good charity. Might I suggest Rockhounds home for wayward teenage girls.

I guess the same reason people use 2 lb backpacks, and 1lb shoes.
Weight really makes a difference on a long hike for most people.

Some people don't mind carrying the extra weight of heavier sticks.

Ender
11-23-2009, 18:12
I used to have Leki's, and they were great. Now I have Black Diamond poles, and they're even better. The Flick-lock closure is great. So much better than the twist closure of the Leki's.

Am very curious about the GG carbon poles. Though given how I use, and abuse poles, don't really know if carbon is the right choice for me.

Rockhound
11-24-2009, 13:14
I guess the same reason people use 2 lb backpacks, and 1lb shoes.
Weight really makes a difference on a long hike for most people.

Some people don't mind carrying the extra weight of heavier sticks.
weight difference is negligible as they are not on your back, and swinging or in contact with the ground constantly. you can quickly adjust your grip to wherever it needs to be with sticks (no handles) Adjustable poles are a ridiculous gimmick. who is going to continually stop to adjust poles to different heights? A complete waste of time. Sticks are free and easily replaced if lost or broken. They tend to be a lot sturdier than poles. No irritating clickity-clack sound all day long with sticks. No straps to dislocate shoulders or break wrists with sticks. Greater sentimental value with sticks as opposed to some store bought pieces of metal. Poles are simply a complete waste of money and a gimmick that it seems 90% of hikers have bought into. I wonder what kind of poles Shaffer and Espy used?

Elder
11-24-2009, 16:04
Ever wonder what they had available? :-?
A huge majority of hikers use and love trekking poles.
No body complains of the price of Lekis after they Own them :D

If you prefer to not even try them...your loss.;)

Rockhound
11-24-2009, 16:32
did try them (very briefly) used a free pair left behind by a hiker. I saw no advantage. In fact saw the disadvantages I've already mentioned. A whole industry has now sprung up around a completely unnecessary and superfluous piece of "gear". sticks is sticks.

Pedaling Fool
11-24-2009, 17:20
... I wonder what kind of poles Shaffer and Espy used?
I wonder what type of tent, backpack, shoes....they used back in the day?

Do you emulate their gear use?:rolleyes:

Rockhound
11-24-2009, 17:31
lot of improvements in gear. footwear, tents clothing etc... but sticks will always be sticks. they need no improvement. The only advantage is for the gear companies who are making a killing off of naive hikers.

Ender
11-24-2009, 18:19
lot of improvements in gear. footwear, tents clothing etc... but sticks will always be sticks. they need no improvement. The only advantage is for the gear companies who are making a killing off of naive hikers.

Except, say, being able to fold them down small for packing. Or being able to palm the top of the pole so I can rest my full weight on my palms going downhill. Or having a single pole be the perfect height for both my hiking pole and my tent pole.

I understand that you don't feel the need for anything more than a simple stick. But other people use them differently than you, and poles have added functionality that sticks do not. Not to knock sticks... some of my favorite poles are just sticks. But there are times where the modern poles offer functions that sticks can not. For some people those help, and for other people, they just get in the way. It all depends on the person.

Summit
11-24-2009, 19:26
lot of improvements in gear. footwear, tents clothing etc... but sticks will always be sticks. they need no improvement. The only advantage is for the gear companies who are making a killing off of naive hikers.With a statement like that, it's obvious your "briefly" use of them was not an adequate trial. It's all in the straps, and I've stated before that if people aren't going to adjust/use the straps properly, then they should just use sticks (in that part, I agree with you!). You might consider backing off on the trekking pole expertise when you admit you haven't really given them a fair work out. ;)

Franco
11-24-2009, 19:59
Yep me too.
I for example do not like water bladders, however I don't spend time and energy telling that to people that like them because ...well because it obviously works for them.
Franco

kayak karl
11-24-2009, 20:00
you never tried Pacer Poles??

Shutterbug
11-24-2009, 20:07
Again I'm inexperienced.

I have the black diamond flick lock kind. I have never had a problem like you describe.

Ender
11-25-2009, 11:11
Yep me too.
I for example do not like water bladders, however I don't spend time and energy telling that to people that like them because ...well because it obviously works for them.
Franco

Exactly. Everyone is different. I also am not a huge fan of water bladders, but I can see why others like them. Just not for me.

I really just don't understand why people constantly feel that their way is the best and only way.

I have the black diamond flick lock kind. I have never had a problem like you describe.

Agreed. I love the flick locks on my BD poles. Quick, easy, and reliable. With my old Leki's, my poles would stay the same length all day. Now with my BD poles, when the trail levels out and gets easy, I shorten my poles so my arms can swing naturally. I mainly use them now on downhills and steep uphills. It's a great system for me.

Blue Jay
11-26-2009, 14:36
I really just don't understand why people constantly feel that their way is the best and only way.

It's human nature. I could care less if hikers use poles, good thing because it's almost universal. My problem is the constant unrelenting proslytizing of the pole religion. No other piece of gear, not shoes or shelter or even food has such devoted defensive minions.:welcome

russb
11-26-2009, 14:47
It's human nature. I could care less if hikers use poles, good thing because it's almost universal. My problem is the constant unrelenting proslytizing of the pole religion. No other piece of gear, not shoes or shelter or even food has such devoted defensive minions.:welcome
I am not sure about that. Us hammockers and alcohol stove users can get quite defensive especially when we are told how it is impossible to use either in the winter effectively or efficiently.

mudhead
11-26-2009, 16:33
When carbon fibber poles break, do they shatter like a boat mast?

Franco
11-26-2009, 18:25
"My problem is the constant unrelenting proslytizing of the pole religion"
I noticed that in the hammock forums people tend to go on and on about hammocks. I don't particularly care for them so I avoid those forums or threads about hammocks...
It seem fairly reasonable to me that in a thread about trekking poles people discuss ...poles .
That is also true for every other bit of gear regardless if it is ultra light or ultra heavy, home made or way above what we can afford.
What I find rather silly is people that constantly have to tell others why they are "duped" in using gear that they don't like or cannot afford.
BTW the same applies to the heavy weight brigade that feel their duty to infest the UL forums telling everyone there that they are brainwashed and about to die and at the same time stating that they don't like the unrelentless UL propaganda. (within a UL forum ? UL propaganda ?that is just crazy)
Franco

garlic08
11-26-2009, 21:29
I think the black diamond flick lock sounds easier to use' but what about the lock getting knocked or pulled on something and getting unlocked?

The only problem I've ever had with my BD ski poles was leaving the flick lock open once in the car, and the vibration on the road must've been enough to shake the screw out of the lock. Luckily I was able to find it. Since then, I always store the poles locked to keep the screws under tension. I've also had to adjust that screw by 1/4 turn every once in a while if the joint slips, easy to do with a thumbnail.

Tinker
11-26-2009, 21:44
With a statement like that, it's obvious your "briefly" use of them was not an adequate trial. It's all in the straps, and I've stated before that if people aren't going to adjust/use the straps properly, then they should just use sticks (in that part, I agree with you!). You might consider backing off on the trekking pole expertise when you admit you haven't really given them a fair work out. ;)

Nearly all the cross country ski beginner students that I teach each year naturally pick up their poles and put their hands through the straps the wrong way. I've seen hikers using their hiking poles incorrectly also. If the straps are used correctly there's no need to have a tight grip on the pole. Most of the weight rests on the back of the wrists. I won't attempt to explain it here. Visuals are probably available on cross country ski forums.

Summit
11-26-2009, 21:53
When carbon fibber poles break, do they shatter like a boat mast?Mine just snapped off right below the twist lock joint. Clean and not jagged.

Tinker
11-26-2009, 21:55
"My problem is the constant unrelenting proslytizing of the pole religion"
I noticed that in the hammock forums people tend to go on and on about hammocks. I don't particularly care for them so I avoid those forums or threads about hammocks...
It seem fairly reasonable to me that in a thread about trekking poles people discuss ...poles .
That is also true for every other bit of gear regardless if it is ultra light or ultra heavy, home made or way above what we can afford.
What I find rather silly is people that constantly have to tell others why they are "duped" in using gear that they don't like or cannot afford.
BTW the same applies to the heavy weight brigade that feel their duty to infest the UL forums telling everyone there that they are brainwashed and about to die and at the same time stating that they don't like the unrelentless UL propaganda. (within a UL forum ? UL propaganda ?that is just crazy)
Franco

Agreed.
Everyone has an opinion about which piece of gear works for them.
Why should they not be excited when they find something that makes hiking (or any other activity) better for them?
Why should we waste our time putting down someone else's choice of gear or methods?
It just makes us the judge of another's lifestyle.
"Hike your own hike" should include the idea of "Choose your own gear".
If someone has a problem with the use of hiking poles, start your own thread about why you hate them.
Same goes for ultralight, ultraheavy, religion, philosophy, rock and roll, etc. etc.
Critics become very lonely folks.

Hiker8261
11-27-2009, 11:19
I used BD carbon poles on my AT thru this past year and another 300 mile outing last year.
I broke one by tripping and falling. As I fell I stepped on the poles bottom shaft as it was laying between 2 rocks (it snapped clean w/ no fuzzy fibers). I then used the stubby end for 150 miles before I could get another lower section.
I put huge amounts of stress and strain on them, especially in the Whites. There was times when I had my 260 pound trail weight fully supported by them. The flick locks never slipped and the poles took the abuse.
The rubber grips both slipped off after about 800 miles. After talking with the factory, I used Gorilla glue to refasten them and never had another issue.

chris "flash" gordon

mudhead
11-27-2009, 18:31
Mine just snapped off right below the twist lock joint. Clean and not jagged.

Thanks. I had a mental image of long shards.

jasonklass
11-30-2009, 20:01
I use Gossamer Gear Light Trek 4 carbon poles (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek4_Trekking_Poles_Matte_Black.html?id=C4LzJ YjG:174.51.177.91) exclusively and would never use anything else. Once you hold such a light pole in your hand, you will never want to go back to aluminum.

cruisaire
11-30-2009, 21:21
Jason...Jason...Jason...and I thought we were all supposed to make our own using carbon fiber golf club shafts! Have you no shame!:D

genetic claybuilding
12-03-2009, 15:33
I had Gossamer Gear one-piece carbon fiber poles. One of them broke when I put just a little weight on it, on my second day out. Just leaned on it a little while taking a rest stop, and it snapped in half. Cheap.

Looking for some reliable aluminum poles.

MuffinMan11
12-03-2009, 16:10
I just recently picked up some Komperdell C2 poles from REI for $34 for the set on Sunday after Thansgiving. Now the only bad part is I am walking around with a set of poles that say womens on them. But for the cost and the fact they are somewhat lighter than the normal poles at 13oz a set I can live with it with no problems at all for the price. Also got my mom a set that she uses which are actually lighter. For some reason they are the same model but one are only 125 cm and the other set is 140cm long. Considering I use about 123 I am set. :)

Ender
12-04-2009, 10:45
I put huge amounts of stress and strain on them, especially in the Whites. There was times when I had my 260 pound trail weight fully supported by them. The flick locks never slipped and the poles took the abuse.

This is actually really great to hear. I often, very often actually, put my full weight including pack, onto the poles. Was unsure if the carbon poles would be able to take it.

Another concern I have with carbon poles is... I use my poles to whack sticks out of the trailway in front of me. I'm worried that the whacking with damage the carbon. Anyone have any experience with that?

BrianLe
12-04-2009, 13:35
Perhaps you could expand on what you mean by "whack sticks out of the trailway". Flicking sticks away with pole tip, no problem. Full force "whack" on substantially thick stuff, that I would not recommend. Where you're at between those two is pretty significant in guessing how well or badly a C.F. pole would stand up to what you want to do.

Bottom line for me, though is that I don't "whack" anything with my C.F. poles, at least not intentionally.

Ender
12-04-2009, 16:54
Yeah, it entirely depends... I try to just flick sticks off, but sometimes I hit it with a little more force than that. Should probably stick to aluminum, at least for the lower section of the poles.