PDA

View Full Version : Which guidebook to take on my thru?

ShelterLeopard
11-15-2009, 19:49
So just out of curiosity, which is your favorite guidebook? I've read Appalachian Pages (have 2007 and 2009), and Wingfoot's guide, The Thru Hiker's Handbook, which I found extremely useful in terms of advice and would buy it just for that, but the trail and town info isn't laid out in as useful as fashion as Appalachian Pages.

And recently, several current thru hikers recommended the Thru Hiker's Companion as their favorite. So, my question was which is your favorite, and why?

white_russian
11-15-2009, 20:00
I like the Companion. They are all equally inaccurate so I go with the one done by a nonprofit organization. The differing formats don't make any difference to me.

Lyle
11-15-2009, 20:29
I've used the Companion for a number of years, but have bought both Appalachian Pages and the Companion for the past couple of years and tear out pages of both for my hikes. I like various aspects of both. AP is being re-introduced this year as The AT Guide. I have my copy pre-ordered and am looking forward to getting it.

If you have never used/seen the Companion, you can check it out here. The new version will be out before hiker season, this is the 2009 version.

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

I haven't used the Thru Hiker Handbook since it was the Philosopher's Guide, which I throughly enjoyed. That has more to do with my aversion to everything WingFoot (I know, he no longer has anything to do with it, but never saw a reason to buy one).

They all have their followers.

Appalachian Tater
11-15-2009, 22:41
I used the ALDHA Companion but more information about campsites and water sources would have been helpful at times so you might want to look at the data books, too. Most of the guidebooks contain approximately the same information. It boils down to a matter of personal preference.

For planning, you need a copy of Baltimore Jack's article no matter which book you get:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/articles/resupplybook.pdf

Nothing else comes close to being such helpful advice on your thru-hike.

Thrasher
11-15-2009, 23:08
I plan on getting the AT guide. I liked the Appalachian pages layout, the symbols representing different things, shelter distances, and the elevation info. The new landscape format looks like it'll be nice too. Now do I get loose leaf or the bound edition....

emerald
11-15-2009, 23:13
Need you ask?

Bearpaw
11-15-2009, 23:48
The Companion has the advantage of MANY people updating it versus just a couple. It's a little easier to get updated info when the work is spread out that way. On my thru-hike 10 years ago, I used a Companion and the 99 Data Book. Had more than enough info.

emerald
11-15-2009, 23:53
What I like about it is you can link it in your signature and someone can click on it and use it immediately. Sometimes there isn't time to wait on the mail.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 11:06
True Emerald!

And Bearpaw, that's one of the reasons I asked- I thought the Companion might have the most up to date info with so many people working on it.

Manwich
11-16-2009, 12:11
Follow the white rectangles painted on Trees, Poles and Rocks. Ask people you see where stuff is nearby. Weighs next to nothing.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 12:38
Follow the white rectangles painted on Trees, Poles and Rocks. Ask people you see where stuff is nearby. Weighs next to nothing.

Nope, not my style!

Manwich
11-16-2009, 12:40
Do me a favor: Scratch a tally on the book you decide to haul for every time you consult it. If you don't throw it out, I'd be very interested in the number of tallies recorded across a thru-hike (really!)

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 12:46
Trust me Totem, I'll use it. If not for in town info, then just info about town placement and watersources (App. Pages) and mileage. I read that thing at night before I go to bed, and used it very consistantly on my two week shakedown this past summer. I use it instead of carrying state by state ATC guidebooks.

Manwich
11-16-2009, 12:49
Alright then, I anticipate your reporting of no more space left in the book to tally, then.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 13:07
I've already marked up my copy of Appalachian Pages with additional info. I use it for carrying a lot of non trail info too. I made a copy of addresses and numbers of friends and family to mail postcards or call, and people's addresses near the trail, tryped it in very small font, and am gonna glue it in the back over some of the uneccesary info.

Manwich
11-16-2009, 13:10
I should patent this idea... but maybe it's high time we embroider Bandannas with Maps / Data per state...

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 13:17
Well, they do- they're called MApdannas. Though they only have the maps. You definitely might have something with the data per state. That would be cool.

emerald
11-16-2009, 14:19
A mapdanna is a goofy idea, unless you find maps on bandanas attractive. They're not a substitute for maps. They're sold primarily to hikers easily suckered into believing they can get something for nothing.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 14:21
I would definitely never leave my maps behind, except on a section I know very well.

jersey joe
11-16-2009, 15:44
I vote for the companion also. Viewing it for free online is a major plus.

trippclark
11-16-2009, 16:08
So just out of curiosity, which is your favorite guidebook? I've read Appalachian Pages (have 2007 and 2009), and Wingfoot's guide, The Thru Hiker's Handbook, which I found extremely useful in terms of advice and would buy it just for that, but the trail and town info isn't laid out in as useful as fashion as Appalachian Pages.

And recently, several current thru hikers recommended the Thru Hiker's Companion as their favorite. So, my question was which is your favorite, and why?

First off, all three guidebooks are wonderful resources and, as others have stated, the information in all three is much the same. I have owned and used all three books during my 9 years of section hiking. Over the last couple of years, I have really been won over by the innovations in "Appalachian Pages" and look forward to the changes announced this year in "The AT Guide." (http://tinyurl.com/atguide)

As a section hiker driving to and from the trail multiple times each year, the inclusion of GPS coordinates for 200+ parking areas is a big differentiator that I don't believe the other guidebooks include. This may be less important to a thru-hiker (unless he or she has family and friends planning to "meet up" at points along the trail, in which case this info would be helpful).

In the interest of full disclosure, I will point out that I was a contributor last year on "Appalachian Pages" and helped provide some of the GPS coordinates, but I was an owner and user of the book before I was a contrbutor.

buff_jeff
11-17-2009, 14:01
The Companion has worked well for me, but any of them will get you where you want to go. I even used to hike with just the maps and figured out where to go in town on my own. In some ways that was more fun.

Panzer1
11-17-2009, 15:12
Do me a favor: Scratch a tally on the book you decide to haul for every time you consult it. If you don't throw it out, I'd be very interested in the number of tallies recorded across a thru-hike (really!)

for me that would be about 10 times a day.

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
11-17-2009, 15:26
It's been said before: It really won't make a whole lot of difference which book you use.

That being said, each one has its strong points. The Handbook, over the years, is probably easiest on the eye. Appalachian Pages (soon to be supplanted by the new "A.T. Guide") probably has the best and most complete town maps. The Companion, over the years, is probably the most accurate, as different sections are compiled by "local" editors who presumably are better informed on their particular locations than someone who may visit an area just once a year to do "updates" and revisions.

But it really won't matter much one way or the other.

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 17:35
So I'm using a compilation of Appalachian Pages and The Handbook. Since I only want the advice and wildlife bits from the handbook, I'm going to photocopy them, cut 'em out and tape them in Appalachian Pages- it makes for the perfect hand book for me.

Thanks for all your advice!

Young Gun
11-22-2009, 14:47
Ha i bet Earl didnt use a guide book jk...... I liked the simplicity of the Data book in partnership with a few online references i assume it will prove to be quite useful I have marked RE-S by the towns i plan to resupply at (yes i know things change) but besides that everything else i need to know is listed in the book

emerald
11-22-2009, 15:12
That point has been made and refuted many times before. I'm quite sure Earl would have made use of the tools available today. He was a WWII veteran, ATC supporter and trail maintainer as were many of the A.T. hikers of his day.

Anyone who wants to answer the question What would Earl have done? need only search The Old Fhart's posts to learn. There is no need to speculate.

Spokes
11-22-2009, 17:16
Hey Shlep, no matter which one you end up with use a highlighter to mark down your maildrop locations. I knew several thru's this year who totally forgot where they sent their packages! Ouch!!!! Not good.....

ShelterLeopard
11-22-2009, 18:17
Yep- have it down in pencil for now (until I "officially" address the boxes), thanks Spokes!

Young Gun
11-29-2009, 02:13
Thats why I said jk JUST KIDDING sorry guys just having fun im overwhelmed with excitement im sure youll have it down pat by the time you start and will know what works for you