PDA

View Full Version : feeties hurtin

PUNKINPUSS11
11-15-2009, 21:53
anyone ever get a pain in the middle of ur foot!! i start stepping on rocks cause it gives a little massage. anyone know how to conbat this problem?

everydayhiker
11-15-2009, 21:54
I have the same problem. You need more arch support. It worked for me.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2009, 21:55
anyone ever get a pain in the middle of ur foot!! i start stepping on rocks cause it gives a little massage. anyone know how to conbat this problem?

Superfeet inserts. green

white_russian
11-15-2009, 22:02
had that same problem and Superfeet fixed it. I like the orange ones myself.

downes911
11-16-2009, 00:53
had the same problem to the point that i could hardly walk in the morning. when I got home had MRI found that it was fatigue/stress injuries Dr. suggested insoles Superfeet (green) seem to be working. Dr. also said that if he had to prescripe something it would be a dose of commen sense. IF YOUR FEET HURT STOP WHAT YOUR DOING FOR A WHILE, shorter days, lighter pack, LISTEN TO YOUR FEET THEY KNOW WHAT THEY NEED.

More expensive route if the above don't work Fred Tonges shoes have Orthopods which will evaulate your feet for a orthopedic insole, I am doing that tomorrow so I will have a back plan (insole wise) before i head out for my thru next year.

Jayboflavin04
11-16-2009, 10:03
Was wondering. I had a foot problem this spring. It is kinda hard to describe. My achilles tendon hurt. The best description I could give is that they felt like old rubber bands. Do you folks think they were overworked, or do you think that this is a sign of another potential problem. Will superfeet help correct this.

fredmugs
11-16-2009, 13:31
I used to have this problem big time but not so much anymore. Stepping on the rocks is only going to make it worse. I think I caused a lot of my pain by powering across sections with no regard to where I was planting my feet. Now I try to avoid every rock possible or at least try to place my entire foot on it instead of just the middle part of my foot.

Somebody on here a while back mentioned massaging their feet for 5 - 10 minutes at the end of the day and I do this now.

I own both superfeet inserts and shock blockers. I like the shock blockers better for absorbing punishment to the bottom of my feet.

Most of my foot pain and blister problems have gone away by ditching the hiking boots and using regular cross trainer shoes. I have way more maneuverability in my feet and toes which I feel relieves the stress that is causing my problems.

LIhikers
11-17-2009, 00:54
.......I had a foot problem this spring. It is kinda hard to describe. My achilles tendon hurt. The best description I could give is that they felt like old rubber bands. Do you folks think they were overworked, or do you think that this is a sign of another potential problem. Will superfeet help correct this.

I used to have a pain in my achilles tendon area.
Now I do some GENTLE stretching of the back of my leg and foot, problem gone.

BrianLe
11-18-2009, 14:01
"pain in the middle of ur foot" is IMO a little vague --- feet are incredibly complex, so I would be leery of any diagnosis from fellow amateurs (me too), especially based on so little information for them to work from.

You might look at your local library system and see if they carry a book titled "Fixing Your Feet" by John Vonhof.

Montana AT05
11-18-2009, 20:32
Warning: Amateur alert. I am no doctor, just a hiker who's feet hurt me on 1700 miles of my 2168 mile trek along the AT.

There are tendons called Fascia Bands that run from the heel to the toe-pads. My bunched up on me, or became swollen, or, I dunno, they did something...it was as if I had a golf ball inserted into my arch and oh the pain.

I switched from boots to trail runners, haven't had the problem since.

Also, I wear Inov8 Flyroc trail runners, they are designed to make your feet do the work originally intended for them (as opposed to many other trail runners that are heavily padded, soled, etc). Flyrocs are also designed with the fascia bands in mind.

And as others stated above, stretch your feet often.

Oh yes, and Ibuprofen. Cherry flavored.

Sue_Bird
11-18-2009, 21:17
sigh. just another example of "it all depends..."

i also had similar footpain on my thru, starting about in the shennies (I think...? it all blends together...) Was instructed to switch to trail runners at the outfitter in harpers ferry because "most people don't need boots" (don't get me wrong, these folks are great and in my top five outfitters on the trail, sold me a great backpack, etc) the switch to less support resulted in giving me searing foot pain from harpers ferry to about halfway through Vermont. My backpack was about 32 lb at this point, i'm a 5 foot 5 140 lb woman. My THEORY is that the ligaments in your feet stretch out with less support which can cause sometimes chronic pain. Made the mid-atlantic a looong stretch (more than it is already.)

my point? different strokes for different folks. listen to your body + don't let anyone tell you one kind of gear is It. (although I acknowledge that many people do have extremely positive experiences with trail runners. But my foot woes didn't begin to cease until I switched to big Scarpa boots.)

-THE DARKNESS-

sbennett
11-18-2009, 23:07
more supportive insoles sound like a good idea (and some ice)