PDA

View Full Version : Any high schoolers out there?

kiteskimo
11-16-2009, 13:35
Helllo. I'm 16 and planning on graduating a semester early in 2011 to thru NoBo. Anyone else in this same situation? Just curious because it seems like everyone else my age would be appalled at the idea out being outside for more then the time it takes them to walk to the car!

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 13:40
Well, I graduated two years ago, and I've been taking time off. I'm 19, and I'm staring my thru in 3 months. Good luck. And dont' be surprised if all your friends think your nuts.

PS- Have you hiked before? What is the longest hike you've ever done, and how do you plan to save enough money for your thru if you're still in school?

kiteskimo
11-16-2009, 13:50
Thanks!
I've hiked a bit before...did a backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail about 30 miles and then one in the Adirondacks of New York.

Right now, I don't have much free time, but hopefully I'll be able to get a job at subway or dunkin donuts (yay!) and work after school and on the weekends. I had this kind of epiphany a while back that if you don't have time for homework...then don't do it. I'm interested in following my passions more then going to college to get a good job to make money to have a family. I don't want to live the life that almost every other person like me is going to live, because it seems just so meaningless! Anyway...sorry about the rant, but it's good to see someone else my age interested in this.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 14:05
Hmm- I do have to say, do well in school, 'cause after the trail, you may want to go to a good college.

Another thing, you will need plenty of money to hike the trail in comfort. I'm allotting $6,000, and I already have almost all of my newer gear. But that's just me. Most people alott $4,500. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Gear alone will cost a bundle. So will transportation to the trail, if you take plane or the train. So will life on the trail. There are exceptions (people who've hiked on $1,000- $2,000), but they are the exception . As in, not the norm.

How are you doing this? Are you heading straight from graduation to the trail, or will you have a couple months off in between? If the latter, you might want to work full time between graduation and hiking to get the money you need.

"I'm interested in following my passions more then going to college to get a good job to make money to have a family." This is great- if you mind stays on this idea, but if you don't go to college, you won't be able to really change your mind later. Just consider it for a while. Get good grades now, maybe make up your mind about college after the trail.

Anyway, good luck! Let me know if you have any questions about anything. If you live near NY or NJ or PA, I've been gettng groups together to do short, two day weekend "shakedown" hikes in the area, let me know if yu'd be interested in coming some time.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 14:06
Edit: most people alott $3,500 to $4,500.

Stud The Dud
11-16-2009, 14:18
kiteskimo,

i didn't graduate a semester early, but i did take a gap year between high school and college to thru-hike. i left in march and finished up in september. and it can definitely be done quicker. i chose to take my time and really enjoy it. that and i felt lazy a lot, taking my fair share of zeros.
for money, after gear purchases $3500 is plenty to hike with comfort.

kiteskimo
11-16-2009, 14:49
This is great- if you mind stays on this idea, but if you don't go to college, you won't be able to really change your mind later. Just consider it for a while. Get good grades now, maybe make up your mind about college after the trail.

Oops...I've got to clear up that I am planning on going to college to get a full degree in whatever. It's just what I plan on doing after college that's going to be different. This is partially why I want to hike the trail...to figure out what I want to do with my life.

Yeah, I'm planning on hiking right after graduation. And you've really made me realize how much I'm going to have to save. Hopefully, I'll be able to use the next few birthdays I have to aquire some of the things I'll need. I want to start the trail with a good amount of money. I don't want to skimp on food, hostels, or gear.

ShelterLeopard
11-16-2009, 14:57
Really, really good idea. Both going to college and hiking before college. For me, I figured that after a couple years off and doing the trail I'd be more mature, ready to appreciate college, and won't be as likely to burn out. And (as someone on here has said) the trail takes a mental endurance that might come in handy in college.

I'm an advocate for having a nice chunk of money to hike with. This is your independence trip, and probably the longest, hardest break from life you'll ever have.

YoungMoose
11-16-2009, 17:42
Hey. Im 15. Im planning on thru-hiking when i get out of highschool or when i graduate with college. Not sure yet. But ive done a outwardbound course in summer of 2008 and i just did a SCA trail crew for 1 month in yellowstone

Rabbott
11-16-2009, 22:55
Hey Kiteskimo,
I'm 16 too and feel the same way you do. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I'm only a sophomore though, so I have a while to go before I'll be out of high school!
And yeah- I agree. A lot of kids would much rather be on the computer/ TV...
What programs did you do your hiking trips through? I'm thinking of doing an AMC trip this summer but I'd like to look into other options to.
Best of luck,
Rabbott

MJN
11-16-2009, 23:16
hey im 17 and actually just finished highschool yesterday, I decided to do my senior year online. I am in the exact same situation, most people i know that are my age dont have any interest or if they do when the time comes they wouldnt want to hike more than half a mile, so ive been solo hiking for the past year I dont think im going to do a through next year but iw ill be hiking alot and traveling the country. where are you from? i would definitly be interested in hiking with you if you want to take a trip sometime if your near PA MD VA NY or NJ.

YoungMoose
11-17-2009, 09:14
Hey Kiteskimo,
I'm 16 too and feel the same way you do. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I'm only a sophomore though, so I have a while to go before I'll be out of high school!
And yeah- I agree. A lot of kids would much rather be on the computer/ TV...
What programs did you do your hiking trips through? I'm thinking of doing an AMC trip this summer but I'd like to look into other options to.
Best of luck,
Rabbott
YOu sould do outwardbound. They teach alot of stuff there. Another things is Student conservation association (SCA) thats what i did last summer and im going to try and do it again this coming summmer. It isnt a backpacking trip its more of a trail crew. They are usually a month long and you can be almost anywhere in the usa. I was in yellowstone last summer.

Kirby
11-20-2009, 16:34
I thru hiked in 2008, started out 16 and turned 17 along the way. Graduated from High School in January and deferred a year from the American University in Washington, DC.

Montana AT05
11-20-2009, 18:37
Good thinking all, at least to my messed up views on things.

I went overseas for a year between high school and college--it was a good decision.

Taking time off to think and achieve something outside of academia can only enrich your remaining time in academia.

Learn to think and do on your own, then learn from school.

Rabbott
11-20-2009, 21:17
Thanks Youngmoose! I will look into it. :-)

Blissful
11-20-2009, 22:18
My son hiked the AT at 16 with me (turned 17 in Maine).

There's a 14 yr old that sometimes comes on here. Haven't seen him in a while though.