PDA

View Full Version : Contra dancing near the trail

squeezebox
11-16-2009, 15:31
Has anyone had any experience in finding contra dances near the trail during their hike. I've heard that Asheville NC has an active folk scene, and in my opinion the best caller on the face of the earth lives there.
I could have a friend send me dance schedule updates as I travel.
I'm thinking of learning to call and if I brought one of those tiny battery speakers for an Ipod I could call some impromtute dances at the shelters and hostels. Gets into carrying too much stuff though.
Thanks!

Jester2000
11-16-2009, 15:40
Has anyone had any experience in finding contra dances near the trail during their hike. I've heard that Asheville NC has an active folk scene, and in my opinion the best caller on the face of the earth lives there.
I could have a friend send me dance schedule updates as I travel.
I'm thinking of learning to call and if I brought one of those tiny battery speakers for an Ipod I could call some impromtute dances at the shelters and hostels. Gets into carrying too much stuff though.
Thanks!

I think if you send Warren Doyle a PM he'd be the most knowledgeable in regards to contra dances near the trail. Here's a page that has schedules for all over the place -- you could try working out a schedule on your own.

http://www.contradancelinks.com/

Not that I want to encourage that kind of thing.

Farr Away
11-16-2009, 15:46
I don't know if I'd call Knoxville "near" the trail, but there's a contra group here at the Laurel Theater - corner of 16th St and Laurel Ave, I think.

-FA

Pacific Tortuga
11-16-2009, 15:50
and Sandinista's are not invited ! :)

Kirby
11-20-2009, 16:39
Bad idea. Stick to hiking, as that's what a thru-hikes about.

warren doyle
11-23-2009, 14:18
1) John C. Campbell Folk School (north Georgia) - Rt. 76
2) another dance just outside Helen, GA
3) Asheville - Grey Eagle (Mondays)
Warren Wilson College (Thursdays)
4) Jonesborough, TN (Sams Gap/Erwin/Rt. 19E)
5) Boone, NC (Rt. 19E/91/421/Damascus)
6) Blacksburg, VA
7) Roanoke, VA
8) Charlottesville, VA (in Greenwood just below Rockfish Gap)
9) Glen Echo, MD (Fridays & Sundays)
10) Frederick, MD
11) Falcon Ridge Folk Festival (last weekend in July near Great Barrington, MA/Jug End)
12) Champlain Valley Folk Festival (first weekend in August north of Rutland, VT)
13) Norwich, VT
14) Farmington/Skowhegan ME

veteran
11-28-2009, 09:35
:D Jack will love this thread.

Foyt20
11-28-2009, 23:11
Headphones instead of speakers, so no one else has to listen if they dont want to at the shelters and campsites.