PDA

View Full Version : Going thru the neighbors trash

Scruffy
11-16-2009, 21:18
Today I was invited to my neighbors house for lunch. After lunch I helped clean up. When I went to throw away the trash I spied one of those plastic mesh potatoe bags. :eek: Wouldn't ya know I got caught digging in the trash to see if there was anymore goodies. Thankfully my neighbor knows about my up coming thru hike and just about pissed himself laughing at me. In my defence I must say the bag only weights .43 ounces:D and will hold 5 pounds:D

Mango
11-16-2009, 21:24
I used an orange mesh bag for clothes on my '06 thru (orange color AND held the fruit). Worked fine and made it easy to see what was inside when you needed to grab something.

CrumbSnatcher
11-16-2009, 23:08
I used an orange mesh bag for clothes on my '06 thru (orange color AND held the fruit). Worked fine and made it easy to see what was inside when you needed to grab something.
those also make great scub pads(cut a 4x4 inch or so piece) for cleaning up your pot after cooking. then shake it clean and dries right away, instead of staying wet like a sponge does. weighs nothing

Scruffy
11-17-2009, 07:16
thanks for the tip CrumbSnatcher

CrumbSnatcher
11-17-2009, 11:51
scruffy it worked well for me, i probably had a little bigger piece than i posted earlier so i could fold it over a couple times to keep the food off my hands. try it out at home. easy to wash it out too after cleaning the pot and rinsing i would pour water over the scrubber to rinse it out also. hope that made sense. and your welcome

sbhikes
11-17-2009, 23:23
I found my bounce bucket in a neighbor's recycling.

snaplok
11-18-2009, 03:14
2 Gatorade bottles for natures call at night, a few mesh produce bags, and a gallon milk container that made a great washbasin.

And that's just from the one day I happend to look.

Doctari
11-18-2009, 07:46
Been there did that! :p

Newb
11-18-2009, 14:29
2 Gatorade bottles for natures call at night, a few mesh produce bags, and a gallon milk container that made a great washbasin.

And that's just from the one day I happend to look.

I refuse to pee in a bottle. I just cut a hole in the side of the tent.

lazy river road
11-18-2009, 15:15
wow some great ideas guys thanks...milk container wash bin....potato bag for cloths.....im working on dirtbagging it as much as possible being a poor teacher....any other dirt bagging tricks that I should know as a newbie :)

Newb
11-18-2009, 15:41
wow some great ideas guys thanks...milk container wash bin....potato bag for cloths.....im working on dirtbagging it as much as possible being a poor teacher....any other dirt bagging tricks that I should know as a newbie :)

this is obvious, but...
I cut the bottom off of a plastic water bottle to hold exactly 1 cup of water. This makes it easy to measure exact amounts for cooking, and it weighs nothing.

lazy river road
11-18-2009, 22:28
newb I would of never of thought of that, i love that kinda stuff thanks...i guess it all about being creative.....ive heard a cow feed bag makes a great food bag.....very cheap and waterproof....weigh's very little

sbhikes
11-19-2009, 00:04
Or just mark cup measurements on the side of your bowl with permanent marker.

My bowl was a plastic food container that originally had 2 cups of yogurt in it. It fit inside my cookpot. It hasn't broken yet. I prefer having a separate bowl from my pot. If I make something with curry in my pot, my breakfast won't taste like curry.

I hope you've read the dirtbagging article:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

mudhead
11-19-2009, 19:41
My bowl was a plastic food container that originally had 2 cups of yogurt in it. I

Does this take hot food? Functionally? Or was it a cold grub bucket?

sbhikes
11-20-2009, 01:29
My bowl was good for anything. I even drank tea from it, although it was quite flimsy for that sort of thing since I cut off the lip to make it fit in my pot. Still, when going ultralight, you make do with whatever works.

snaplok
11-20-2009, 02:07
this is obvious, but...
I cut the bottom off of a plastic water bottle to hold exactly 1 cup of water. This makes it easy to measure exact amounts for cooking, and it weighs nothing.

I use whatever eating utensil I bring with me( spork, chopstick, lexan combo set) in the same way. I measure out 2 cups of liquid in a Snow Peak 600 and mark off each cup on the utensil in notches, kinda like a car's dipstick.

daddytwosticks
11-20-2009, 08:35
I'm a dipstick guy myself (please, no jokes)...works great for me. Although the other hikers at the shelter look at me funny when I do this and whisper behind my back! :)

Doctari
11-20-2009, 20:51
My camping "trash":
Stove from a used cat food can.
Stove wind screen is a used printer plate from a local newspaper.
Cook pot is a used beer can.
Eating bowl a used food container.
Scrubby, a net bag a ham came in.

jdb
11-20-2009, 22:24
I think I know the answer to this.....but why would you not pee outside at night?

mwager
11-20-2009, 23:23
I think I know the answer to this.....but why would you not pee outside at night?

Chupacabra

sbhikes
11-20-2009, 23:23
Mosquitoes! Rain! Cold! Lazy!

snaplok
11-21-2009, 02:34
Mosquitoes! Rain! Cold! Lazy!

Think that and the worst story I heard was someone getting lost for the night after trying to find a place to pee away from his tent.

sbhikes
11-21-2009, 13:40
How to pee inside the tent if you are a girl:

1. Obtain a bottle of Wishbone salad dressing from the trash and dispose of the cap. Wishbone's shape works the best.

2. Cut the bottle diagonally from the bottom left corner to the top right just where the hatch-marks etched in the plastic end and the smooth plastic of the neck begins.

3. Hold the device with the edge you cut against yourself. Your pee will come out the end where the cap was. You can direct your pee into a container while standing on your knees. You'll have to lean over a bit to let all the pee out.

A container with a lid like a butter tub works nicely because then you won't tip it over and spill pee everywhere. Your cookpot will also work and the pee removes stuck on food like nothing else.

In the morning, toss the urine into the bushes and rinse your container. Urine is sterile when it comes out of you, so you're not going to totally poison yourself.